Notifications
Clear all

Self-Isolating, Self-or Advised Quarantine: Our New Ways of Living and Coping

(@polarberry)
Illustrious Member Registered

Laura F,

I'm so sorry, but your post made me laugh!

We are in the same boat. My family finally decided to go on a vacation we have wanted to take forever. Needless to say, it's off, thank you coronavirus.

And your second rant reminded me of the time my father cut down all the plants in my mother's garden because he allegedly thought they were weeds. They heard her screaming on Pluto. ? 

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, Michele and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@lovendures @journeywithme2

I am still following Dr. John Campbell on Youtube and in his daily blogcast, he discusses countries around the globe with an analysis on how they are coping and what resources they have to fight the coronavirus.  His viewership is up to over half a million followers in just a matter of weeks.  While I do need to suspend my emotions every day while watching, I always come away with more understanding of the pandemic.  He also includes the latest research coming out of Europe, the U.K., China, South Korea, etc.  Years ago, I worked in a major academic medical center and have always been interested in medicine, medical research and clinical trials (in the meantime had a mental checklist of medical procedures and catastrophic illnesses to avoid at all costs).  Pandemic wasn't on my radar.

PamP, Lovendures, Michele and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Have been self isolating since Friday. My life is not much changed. I already spent long stretches at home alone with mostly just the cat. Was already switched over to online tutoring w my kids. Now I have a two week staycation, because Governer Wolf shut everybody down for two weeks. I will be able to pick back up with lessons soon after. I am at an advantage already working with cyberschool students

Am scared, am bleaching and keeping my house as sterile as I can. My man is a butcher and has work at one of his jobs. Like a surgeon he wears a lab coat and hair net and gloves so he is in a good sterile situation most of the time.  He has been home a bit more and I must say my back and neck hurt much less without the long commutes I do. I do not miss my long 2+ hour commmute several days a week.

I know my daughter is home now, at her dad's. Somehow he became a good father and I know she is safe with him. I can't bring myself to interact further at the moment. I just send her love. Pray she has not been exposed. Pray her dad has not either. He also has a grocery store job. 

I have been making some beautiful art, and baking. I read, watch tv., waste time on the computer, enjoy the show put on nightly by the cat.

Life is very good now, despite these dark occurrings. I am starting to think I may not catch it. Every healthy day that goes by I feel more hopeful, if not confident exactly.

With every closure and cancellation my hope rises. People complaining need to awaken.Closures are GOOD. They protect all of us. Every day is a gift and we are inexplicably bound together like moving parts of one body. When we do something we have already trained for, being couch potatoes, we are saving someone else's life as well as our own hopefully.

Yesterday was a day where I felt fully alive in every moment of the day. This virus is curing me of living in the future, and that has been helpful. I can only focus on now, and take inventory how I feel. So far, not ill. 

JourneyWithMe2, Laynara, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@polarberry

No worries - better to laugh than cry. I'm Sicilian, so I have a hot temper anyway, all it takes is ONE THING to trigger me. The good news is that, like a thunderstorm, it passes quickly. I'm channeling my rage into housecleaning today.

@ghandigirl - tell your dude to cover his face if he's doing butcher work. That's how this whole pandemic got started.

PamP, Laynara, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

German and Russian. Baking and cleaning today. LOL

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, LalaBella and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

I agree about the lack of attention span. My attention span ha taken a downward turn ever since wifi came into my life but boy has it really gone out the window lately. I'm not even trying to work today -- I don't really have to today, anyway, but I can tell it would be futile to try.

@laura-f your tincture idea sounds like a good one and I think I'm going to partake myself right this second, if only to celebrate having (almost) survived another day. (And, sorry about the landscapers -- that's just such a bummer, on several levels.)

JourneyWithMe2, Michele, LalaBella and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@ghandigirl

A beautiful, hopeful and really optimistic place to be in now! I am just thrilled for you that you found this lovely harmonious flow to ride out the waves on instead of being pulled under or crashing and bouncing around over them.

I am glowing with happiness from reading this! Wonderful ghandigirl, just wonderful!

???

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, Laynara and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @polarberry

German and Russian. Baking and cleaning today. LOL

Wonderful!! Love this! ?❤?

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@polarberry

Scottish and English.  Frugally calculating how we can stretch our food supply to last longer and estimating how many vegetables we can grow in our garden.  I wish for chickens daily but my husband says no.

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, Michele and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I feel the vibrating when I take the time to tune into myself.  Especially at night, and in the middle of the night when I wake, and first thing in the morning. It is my own concerns rising, especially at having grown children who are not hunkered down with us.  I'm sure they are fine, but I'm mama and it's storming out there. Then there is the collective fear rising up, and we empaths feel everything!  I read in the news about all the people having panic attacks out there.

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, LalaBella and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@bluebelle

I have been told by many people in my rural area about The Joy of Chickens. I have an empty coop sitting on my land that was left by the prior owners. They left it dirty. YUCK. ?  I've been tempted, that whole farm-fresh thing (translation-smeared with crap) but I have enough to look after already.

My friend's chicken chased me. I swear they know how good I think they taste. My husband would find me lying by the coop with my eyes pecked out. Police would suspect fowl play.

I'll stick to vegetables and fruit trees, although, as has been well-documented by Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, no one is safe from man, beast or crudite.

PamP, TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@polarberry

????

My husband knows very well that the whole idea of chickens means more work for him.  I get ideas and he gets more work.  It’s the rhythm of our life.

PamP, TriciaCT, LalaBella and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

I know!  ?  

Anytime I start out with, "I've got an idea..." or "I think we should..." he gets the deer-in-the-headlights look. His common sense says to take flight but there's nowhere to hide. LOL

PamP, TriciaCT, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@polarberry

LMAO

We're allowed to have chickens here in the city, but we have foxes, raccoons and coyotes and large hawks, so...  Ironically if my property was more citified, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, I have several friends who have chickens. My property comprises the side of a canyon.

I realized today that my very huge paddle cactus (for prickly pears and nopales), wasn't harmed in yesterday's unprovoked attack (it's REALLY huge - size of a small house), so at least I got that goin' for me.

And it could be worse, it could be raining.

Oh wait...

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@bluebelle

Half French Half Finnish 

I run hot and cold all day long. Expressive and emotional. Stoic and steadfast.

PamP, LalaBella, JourneyWithMe2 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

???ATTENTION MEDITATORS FOR TONIGHTS CIRCLE OF LIGHT ???

If you didn't participate last Wednesday you need to Re-Register with Jeanne's Event linkage!

Circle of Light Healing Meditation – Jeanne Mayell | Peace, Prophecy & Intuitive Wisdom

@jeanne-mayell 
https://www.jeannemayell.com/event/circle-of-light-healing-meditation/

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry

put that old chicken poop in your compost pile... chicken poop is a great natural fertilizer : https://www.hunker.com/12158530/how-to-use-chicken-manure-as-garden-fertilizer

I put the "nanny nuggets" in my compost pile : https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/goat-manure-fertilizer.htm

I need to re-register for the next mediation and do the Zoom thing if I can figure it out LOL

Tomorrow night at 11:55 PM EDST is the beginning of the first day of Spring... I think we all need an early Spring this year... sadly... the forecast shows my sector to be wetter than usual again.. so far we have the wettest year on record going *sigh* I would like a happy medium of course. Scottish-English-Creek here ... had red hair when younger.. now that I am white headed the temper has mellowed a good bit LOL  I tend to choose my battles more carefully now.

Checked my sprouts seeds today and ordered a refill - another easy way to get vital nutrients from "real foods" easy to grown and delicious in salads,on sandwiches, in smoothies or soups.

One of the benefits of not being in a relationship (other than with myself LOL) I can bring home all the strays I want to.... grow and mess around in the yard all I want to...do the housework when I want to.... after helping to raise my siblings and then my own two on my own... I am enjoying my old croneness/aloneness.... I am an Extroverted Introvert LOL

deetoo, LalaBella, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Reposting from Rations thread as @luminata gives phenomenal tp substituting suggestions. I did things like this when I was young and supplies came to Alaska on barges! Family of 7 and only 1 store in town back then.

Luminata

"TP seems to be a big issue right now.  If you're at home, probably the best solution to the lack of TP is to do your business and jump in the shower for a quick rinse if you don't have a bidet.  Other options are: newspaper, various mail circulars, and various other paper products.  BUT - don't flush those unless you want serious plumbing damage.  Keep a garbage bag close to the toilet for disposal for those items - then WASH YOUR HANDS ( which you should be doing now many times a day).  If paper isn't available, dish towels, random socks without their mates, any old cloth object you're not using and never intend to use again.  These require a bleach bucket for "storage" after use.  I don't have a scientific reference for dilution here, but I'd go 20%.  Then wash those daily in HOT water and soap(see the jump in the shower for a rinse option for ease ?)Experienced cloth diaper parents will have great suggestions here!

Other things I am seeing are paper books for entertainment.  Yep, nothing beats a good paper book.  If you don't have these now, it may be hard to get a hold of them.  Try local thrift stores, Salvation Army, indie bookstores in your area if they are still open.  Amazon may still be delivering "real" books, but I've seen rumors that Amazon is or soon will be limiting shipments to medical and food supplies.  If you already have Kindle or other electronic book services - use them!  Take advantage of the technology we have available. Many worked hard to have it in place for where we are now.  People are sustaining their ability to work.  Vast amounts of students are still learning over the web.  For all of its problems, it is a solid move forward for humanity as a whole and is a truly good way to reduce some of the global warming problems the world faces.  Use it?

Music is another great pastime. The NY metropolitan Opera is now streaming performances free on Monday nights I believe.  I can't figure out how to post links at the moment but you can let Google be your friend here.  In addition to listening to music, bust out that guitar sitting in the corner, find the recorder you kept from fourth grade, make a tambourine out of a Quaker oats top covered with aluminum foil, enlist your vocal chords and make your own music.  Empty coffee can and a couple of forks? Drum along with the tune your streaming.  Sing your heart out to your favorite band - and dance while you're at it.  Whistle, hum, gyrate, thrum,  pound(gently especially if it is your forehead) and get into your particular favorite music.

Another great thing I see is Nature is your friend.  A good walk/hike a day is fantastic.  Just try to keep your distance from others right now.

So much love for all of you - for what we are - for what we aren't - for how much we will grow, and for what we will keep, even if what we keep is a reliance on toilet paper.  I give you all my love and my very best wishes!"

BlueBelle, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Reposting my no contact shopping at home info also from Rations thread:

Michele

03/19/2020 6:37 am   

Did you know that Walmart has an order online and pick up (special parking spots usually) at your store? @elaineg for your pet food. Links later below.

You place your order online, pay with PayPal or a credit card and then send it if off as an order form order.

You can order things right from your local store by making sure your location is selected and pickup up when it's your turn "in line" to pick up outside the store usually in a specially marked "pick up" spot.

An associate brings it out in 5 cents added on each paper store bags and places them without contact with you in the back trunk of your or whatever space in your car. Open this before they come out. Then wait in your car without close contact. No one should be going out for anything but essential work or service jobs now. 

That way they can't infect you if they are unknowingly sick nor you them.

A minimum order of $35 and there will not be an extra charge. Each item will cost a bit to a bit more to help with handling charges. 

Primary web site:

Pickup Today| Free pickup at store| Walmart.com - Walmart.com
https://www.walmart.com/cp/pick-up-today/1075364

Pet food example of one brand. Others available. 

(24 Pack) Friskies Gravy Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, Tasty Treasures Prime Filets, 5.5 oz. Cans - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/24-Pack-Friskies-Gravy-Wet-Cat-Food-Variety-Pack-Tasty-Treasures-Prime-Filets-5-5-oz-Cans/36128409

I do this at our local Kroger Store Fred Meyer. Right now our orders are 2 to 3 days out but will no doubt get much much longer at a stores now offering this service. They usually have half of what I order which is fresh salad greens etc.plus items not on my pantry shelves.

They continue to be out of paper supplies. Read @luminatas excellent suggestions for substituting rag or recycle bin items. I had already planned to do this if needed but her suggestions are awesomely better!

https://www.kroger.com/i/ways-to-shop/pickup

Ignore the pick up today on these. That  was  before COVID-19. 

Costco and other big box stores have this service as well.. They will deliver via instacart ( and actually to your doorstep you stay inside) and its $12 per order.

Supplies and choices are much simpler and far less a available at the actual store. They use their order warehouse supply. We tried an order out and they delivered it to someone else by mistake and they kept it instead of bringing to my house. Thry send you a photo saying delivered and it showed front decking of wood not concrete and besides we were standing looking out window waiting for that delivery that never came.

Calling by phone to report was very challenging! But eventually they credited my account.

Pickup up stores are more direct. But stay away in your car except to open that door for them. Wear gloves to handle grocery bags etc if you are immune compromised! 

Gratitudes, thoughts and prayers to @Luminata @journeywithme2 

BlueBelle, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

Conan's Toilet Paper Life Hacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1GTcIS-8s0

BlueBelle, Michele, Luminata and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: