Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Pete Buttigieg

Blue
(@blue)
Honorable Member Registered

I've just watched Pete Buttigieg on the Breakfast Club on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunsfxjyOAE)   - I really recommend watching this. (and I saw him on Bill Mayer).

My initial impressions are that I think he has some very good progressive ideas and seems really genuine. The contrast between him and DT is mindblowing (and very refreshing to see!). I don't live in the US but I think he would be really good as President. However, I'm not sure the US is ready for him yet...I think there would be too much opposition from those who want to maintain the status quo because it benefits their own wealth and power, and who are in the position to try and stop him. They would certainly try and bring him down. Could he, and does he have the people around him to help him to, have enough clout and support to thwart that? I don't personally know enough to answer that.  But I think he is really the type of politician that's needed (not just in the US!).

Yofisofi, lenor, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
(@jholmes)

Did anyone catch his announcement and speech today? I got chills. Watching him was incredibly moving. I felt a kind of positive enegery and joy that nearly brought me to tears. He's *everything*, all the things I couldn't even quantify to want, or dare hope for, in a potential candidate.

It was so strong, I felt a little fear too, knowing that there are some damned evil forces out there who would strongly resist a light this bright.

But he is strong and optimistic, and I want to be too. I really hope he makes it all the way.

Did anyone else pick up anything?

You can see the speech here. It starts around 1:16, but the guy before him is really good as well.

https://thehill.com/video/campaign/438824-watch-live-pete-buttigiegs-official-campaign-announcement-rally

lenor, Lawrence, deetoo and 7 people reacted
(@anita)
Noble Member Registered

He is a tough guy! He picks up on hypocrisy so he can fight evil with truth. I’m very

impressed. Also with Marianne Williamson. At first I thought how people won’t be able to hear her message. But maybe they can! Getting to the roots of problems with races, with Israel and Palestine, with the southern border/immigration, and eve college loan repayment. But also health care starting at birth. We have money for wars, why not for health?

Lilinoe, lenor, Lawrence and 7 people reacted
 lynn
(@lynn)
Illustrious Member Registered

His speech was incredibly moving. When he talked about not wanting to go back, except for maybe going back 20 years to talk to his younger self and tell him how all the things he thought he'd never get to do would in fact happen, it just brought tears to my eyes. When he talked about the horror show in Washington, and wanting to turn the page, it did give me hope. He reminded me of the hope I felt listening to Obama after the horrible Bush years. 

Lilinoe, lenor, Lawrence and 13 people reacted
(@jholmes)

There was a great line in Mayor Pete's speech last night where he talked about the "horror show" in Washington being fascinating, but it's time to CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

This really resonated with me. I know in the Robert Mueller thread, people have talked about just turning off the news and social media, because all the Trump horror is just debililtatingly depressing. And all that negative energy is not helping us or the general situation.

Watching Pete's announcement yesterday, I felt wonderfully hopeful and excited for the first time since 2016.

Today I went through all my Twitter follows and removed a bunch of the #resistance people that are longer serving my sanity (most of them just rehash increasingly unlikely 'savior' scenarios now) and instead followed a ton of brand new Pete accounts. My dash is full of such positive and excited tweets! This is the medicine I need. I think Pete's right. Let's just TURN THE CHANNEL and stop letting our news be about the orange menace.

Here's a list of Pete accounts to follow:

https://twitter.com/VVTRichards/status/1117505961290235904

lenor, Lawrence, mariad and 7 people reacted
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

I really like Mayor Pete too.  After listening to his speech, I felt like I just took a cleansing shower.   Also, that I could finally exhale!  For the past two years, I'd been unconsciously holding my breath a lot more.  I have that wonderful "Aaahhh" moment each time I hear Mayor Pete speak. 

I also really like Cory Booker's message, as well as Warren and Harris.  

Lilinoe, lenor, Lawrence and 5 people reacted
(@lawrence)

Love Mayor Pete's intelligence and vibrant spiritual energy. Like others here, he gave me hope and healing after these two dreadful years of negativity. Also have good vibs from Harris. Thinking this might be the winning ticket. I also told a friend recently that a GOP canidate will run against T and cause him considerable damage. Heard that Weld just announced today. And important to remember, T has rapidly declining cognitive abilities. As I've stated before, I feel he has dementia like his father and it's quite advanced.

Lilinoe, lenor, deetoo and 3 people reacted
(@lawrence)

Love Mayor Pete's intelligence and vibrant spiritual energy. Like others here, he gave me hope and healing after these two dreadful years of negativity. Also have good vibs from Harris. Thinking this might be the winning ticket. I also told a friend recently that a GOP candidate will run against T and cause him considerable damage. Heard that Weld just announced today. And important to remember, T has rapidly declining cognitive abilities. As I've stated before, I feel he has dementia like his father and it's quite advanced. T may not even be the picture.

Lilinoe, lenor, numerologist and 11 people reacted
(@rowsella)
Noble Member Registered

I have been hearing about this man. I have not really been paying much attention to the candidates.. just going on general feelings.

I did watch a town hall with Amy Klobochar and liked her, she seems like one of those people who puts her head down and works her butt off and is grudgingly given credit. Kirsten Gillibrand is also like that. She could do a great job but I think she will bow out early on. Her outspokenness/spokesperson in the Senate on MeToo and Franken.. I think it is held against her despite it being all of the Democrats in the Senate that recommended he resign after about 15 women came out.

I have a lot of respect for Elizabeth Warren but feel she will be "Hilloried"

Beto... well, I am sure he is a great guy and all but not enough ummm.. gravitas? His fans love all the live video and moment to moment Beto.. it seems a bit narcissistic to others. Playing a young Bobby Kennedy type on YouTube is not exactly the same as being a young Bobby Kennedy type.

(I guess I am a bit of a curmudgeon and not at all excited/entranced with the young congresspeople's social media skills. I feel like they come off half-cocked. They are very passionate but intemperate in their communications.)

Kamala Harris- I am impressed with her intellect and communications skills. She is really high functioning in every role she takes on-- a hard worker. I don't know how relatable she will be for the Midwest. I see her taking on criticism from the Bernie Sanders crowd as not passing a purity test. 

Bernie Sanders- I am not enthused with this candidate. He is raising a lot of money right now but as the race tightens, I can see him being superseded. He is having his moment in the sun right now but he seems as prickly/sensitive/secretive as Trump.

Joe Biden- I have some affection for him but ultimately, I don't feel him winning the primaries.

Inslee-- I think he is the guy who wants to put Repubicans in his cabinet--nonstarter.

Mayor Pete... he is getting a lot of buzz but I cannot picture him, will have to check him out -- I have no feelings about him yet.

Schultz-- he may have a book coming out he wants to sell.

Booker-- I think he will exit like Gillibrand. His stand on some issues are widely criticized as being influenced or protecting some corporate interests and I don't know that he will be able to overcome this. He is a capable leader, maybe just not the one for this cycle.

I can't keep up with all the rest/not really serious contenders.

lenor, CDeanne, deetoo and 7 people reacted
(@coyote)

I love this analysis, Rowsella.  It's so clear-eyed and level-headed. And I can't agree more with your takes on Beto and Bernie. 

As for Buttigieg, keep on eye on him. There's been some speculation on this forum that he will be a strong dark-horse candidate. I haven't watched any of his speeches, but everyone seems to be gushing about his combination of Midwestern pragmatism and coastal sensibilities (he is openly gay and married). 

JourneyWithMe2, lenor, deetoo and 7 people reacted
(@jholmes)

If you haven't seen Pete yet,  check out his full interview with Rachel Maddow. It's incredibly strong.

https://vimeo.com/330690996

JourneyWithMe2, deetoo, Lawrence and 3 people reacted
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

I totally agree about Mayor Pete's interview with Rachel.  Also, I'd heard that he is in the process of scheduling a town hall (I think) with Fox News.  

(@melissa)

Has anyone thrown cards about him yet? I did because I was worried that he may be too good to be true... I'm still a novice so not sure what to make of it but I did get a lot of money cards, partnership and some mystery associated with it: Queen of Pentacles came up twice, 10 of Pentacles, four of pentacles, the Moon, and Two of cups.

At the same time, every time I hear him speak I am more and more impressed.

lenor and lenor reacted
(@rowsella)
Noble Member Registered

I am really guarded when I hear about people "swooning" over a candidate. Finding their take on the issues --and being interested is one thing. I just feel that checking off all the boxes on identity politics is probably the wrong approach. I don't want to fall in love with a candidate, I want to feel energised by their ideas and passion for the people and traditional ideals of this country.

Jeanne Mayell, CDeanne, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
 Blue
(@blue)

Posted by: Melissa

Has anyone thrown cards about him yet?

I did a celtic cross reading on how he would do in the presidential race. Challenges/obstacles were Ace Cups which I felt was about perception and emotion, more specifically in this reading lack of clarity, (I dont' do reversals, so I think if I had this would have been Ace Cups reversed). And also interestingly the imagery was conveying a sense of fragility, and also people just swimming past, like ignoring something. Perhaps this is about voters not seeing his message clearly, or generally being delusional about something such that it makes his run difficult, or perhaps just not being interested enough in his message? It felt more about outside challenges to Pete rather than his own challenges.

The outcome card (i.e. the most likely result of the race be for him) was the Devil. I got a  feeling of him not being in control, perhaps being 'hung out to dry', or all the things he fears coming true.

The connection between these two is interesting: The Ace conveyed a sense of delusion, and the devil card can also imply delusion. It suggests challenges are not resolved such that the outcome results in the devil energies.

It's difficult to know what it means really as events might occur which fit with this in ways I couldn't anticipate, and things can change over time.  So I'll just have to see!

I hope others can add their predictions too.

(@stardancer)
Topic starter  

I am glad that the issues Mayor Pete brings to the table add to the conversation our country needs to be having regardless of whether he succeeds in obtaining the democratic nomination which I think is unlikely at this point.

I want a candidate that can and will defeat what we currently have regardless of who it is. Any one of them has the intent and capacity to move this country forward and begin to restore our democracy.

I am more concerned about the people who have elected and sustained this administration. That mindset will not disappear with a new election. 

Melissa, deetoo, Melissa and 1 people reacted
(@dcd2510)
Reputable Member Registered

I am not impressed that he pretty much made Bernie out to be as bad as Trump. That's not ok, and it's also not ok to paint him as an extremist.

(@rowsella)
Noble Member Registered

I think I would feel better about him if he had a governorship under his belt. I want a qualified candidate. He has been Mayor for a little while... so was Sarah Palin and then she was elected to Alaska state governor. Granted that state is way less populous. Let's see if he has at least a wider appeal across his state. He is young yet. I think I would like to see someone who is not a millennial and not a baby boomer in the Democratic candidacy--a Gen Xer.

(@mas1581)

Im not big on Mayor Pete for one major reason. His candidacy will be divisive to the party and I feel he would lose to Trump and the rabid base. Politics and views aside, he is too drastic a change from the old norm and as much as the left and center hates Trump, Pete will be a stretch for many to vote for and wont get the overall turnout needed to win. He is also somewhat isolating the Bernie vote, which will keep them home as well. His being gay will also increase the turnout from the Trumpets because theres no way they let a gay man beat their savior. 

We need someone that doesnt directly scare the right, so they stay stupid and complacent, while not ionizing any the left and getting them all out to the polls to vote against Trump as much as for the candidate. I think this is also why people have been saying that the 2020 winner will not be the force expected. Anyone that is drastic enough to change things immediately will polarize too many voters to win against the base, the 3rd party, and the Russian aid.

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Bumping this thread to post this article praising Buttigieg, and to compliment Melissa and others who predicted Pete Buttigieg would gain notoriety back when no-one knew who he was.  

He's so popular at this point that even Mango himself is starting to attack him directly.  

I don't know where he will end up, but I do remember back in 2017 when we were doing remote viewing of the 2021 Inauguration, that I saw a dark haired man in military uniform trotting on a  horse down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the Inaugural platform.  I didn't see him on the platform being inaugurated, but he is  going to make progress.  

Someone later pointed out that I might have been seeing a metaphor for a "dark horse" candidate.   Correction: I went back and checked my 2017 vision and the dark haired military man on the horse was in 2025.  

lenor, Unk p, Tiger-n-Owl and 3 people reacted
Page 2 / 11
Share: