Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Let Us Work Together and Kick Him OUT!

(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, I’ve stayed away from posting and reading on Trump over the past few months because I needed to.  Frankly, I didn’t want to waste what little energy I have on what I knew would be the unfortunate outcome.  It was bringing me down.  But maybe that was a mistake on my part, on the part of many Americans who felt like me. We are like frogs in a pot of water that is slowly being brought to boiling.

As I’m writing this, it looks like the impeachment trial will end soon because of the vote on witnesses or lack thereof.  I feel this was pre-ordained.  We have something to learn from it.  Maybe we have been taking democracy for granted far too long and we are learning we need to work to keep it and improve it.  But if we are honest with ourselves, none of us believed Trump would be removed.

Let’s look at what came out of it.  More people have become aware of Trump’s mismanagement as well as his opportunistic, narcissistic and manipulative ways. More people have come out to say they wanted witnesses.  They won’t get to see them.  Therefore, they now realize the cover-up from the Republican party.  These people are not only Dems anymore.  A big chunk of them are Republicans.

This means more people will pay attention to the news, more people will realize how Fox has been covering up for Trump (specially after the sound was off during the House presentation).  There will be more truths coming out that will be an embarrassment to the GOP and the country.  But keep in mind, the World knows this is not the American way.  We know, this is not what Americans want their country to be.

Now, let’s look ahead.  The GOP is saying let the voters decide.  The way your election system works, with the electoral college, is hindering your democracy.  So, there is a lot of work ahead of us.  The image that comes to mind is that of salmons swimming up the river.  Those salmons fight every year to get there and that is what we have to do. 

As Americans, what can we do to get people to be allowed to vote and to go vote.  What can we do to convince people Trump is not the answer to the problems occurring in the country.  Republicans are not bad people, their opinions count, they are important to the leadership of the country as much as Democrats. A diversity of opinion is what makes democracy work. So how do we get them to vote for the Democrat presidential candidate?

Many of us on this forum are on the left and that is great!  Some of us are centrist and that is great.  I will be honest, I have voted conservative in my country when the candidate was right (in my opinion).  I have also voted for more progressive leaders knowing they may not be voted in as Prime Minister but they would bring a voice of innovation to the discourse.  I voted for Trudeau twice.  So minds can be changed, people can be convinced.  Right now, we have to think about what is important to have in the Democrat presidential candidate to get those voters that may otherwise vote Trump.  Am I wrong in thinking this election is more about the survival of democracy and the environment than a philosophical posturing?

This is no longer a US only issue, it is international.  We don’t get to vote, but you do.  This is a chess game and we need to position ourselves in such a way so the American people can win the next election, not a bunch of autocratic oligarchs.  I’m opening this thread in the hopes we can exchange ideas that work in your area and work together to make this happen. 

molly, deetoo, Coyote and 25 people reacted
(@allyn)
Illustrious Member Registered

@bright-opal

Assuming a blue wave hits and we take back the Senate and Presidency, one of the first things we must do is get rid of the electoral college system.  It is outdated, unfair, and serves to ensure that a small minority of voters get to the decide the election and thus the fate of the entire country.  One person equals one vote.  

Another thing that must happen is that, should the Democrats (and moderate Republicans, although I sincerely doubt that there are many anymore to make a difference) win the election, then the Democrats must redistrict this nation and make the voting zones more fair (aka-get rid of the gerrymandering).

Third, we must pass laws to ensure this stuff doesn't happen again.  Future candidates must turn over tax records, and more oversight must be used to ensure that the Presidency isn't used to pad one's checkbook.

Also, (and this will be controversial), we must prosecute those responsible.  Yes, investigations are not conducive to country unity, but enough is enough!  I am sick to death of these politicians committing crimes (in this case, treason, determent of their duty, fraud, slander, etc.) and then get to retire quietly with huge fortunes whilst they leave us barely able to making ends meet.  For example, if Trump is thrown out and it is later discovered that he laundered money, then his assets in this country should be liquidated and given to the government to reimburse the people he screwed over.  Republicans have used investigations as political weapons for years. 

Remember Bengazi, when they investigated Hillary Clinton for two years over emails (and subjected her to an eleven hour hearing), yet they can't be bothered to investigate when Trump abuses his power and holds aid money for ransom?  If (and I suspect that this will come to light), it is learned that key members such as Nunes, McConnell, McCarthy, etc. actively aided Trump in keeping key information from the people, then they must be prosecuted for their crimes, if only to send a message to the rest of the world that America will no longer tolerate corruption.  Also, it will serve to help normalize the process again, so that should a political party launch an investigation in the future, it will be done for investigative purposes and not as a political tool.  In other words, Republicans will not be so eager to launch frivolous investigations once they learn that they themselves can be investigated and convicted if and when the balance of power shifts away from them.

molly, deetoo, Kateinpdx and 21 people reacted
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor
Topic starter  

@allyn

I am totally in agreements with you.  But how do we get the right people in place to make this happen?

lenor, RosieHeart, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
(@vagabeau)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi @bright-opal and @allyn,

I’m Canadian but do have faith my American cousins will come together at just the right moments, as they always have, to flush out the darkness and bring light back into the world. I believe it will take great courage and action to smoke the peace-pipe with those of differing opinions but that is what’s needed to get things done. When I feel lost, as I do often these days, walking in nature helps calm my body then the mind.

I’m always including you all in my prayers xo.

CC21, lenor, Sophie and 19 people reacted
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor
Topic starter  

Hi @vagabeau and everyone I've been thinking about your last post.  I was wondering if I had gone too far with this thread.  I trust my American cousins, like you do.  I don't trust Trump, Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and many of the GOP elected officials. 

Here is the thing, Trump lies, and his base accepts it.  Trump does wrong and the GOP Senators accept it.  This impeachment trial was a farce.  

At the speech of the Union, which, really, was a Trump rally, he lied and took credits for things done by the Dems.  Before the speech, Gallup calculated his approval ratings at 49%, the highest he's ever had.  I'm curious to see what it will be next week.  Specially with the Iowa fiasco.

Many people say that unless the Dems win and win BIG, Trump will remain in office.  If the margin is small, he will say the results are a sham and declare the election unconstitutional.  I don't know if it can be done, but with Trump anything is possible.

In 2018, I saw Trump winning the 2020 elections.  Later I foresaw Obama, for whatever reason, at the pulpit in 2021.  But it wasn't with great convictions.  What I really "feel" for the 2020 elections is this: Trump in the White House, Blueish purple House and Red Senate.  I want to be wrong!

The future is dynamic, not static.  there is time to change this.  However, I fear the Dems leadership is not "getting" what needs to be done to attract the votes.  They are playing by the old rules that have changed over the past 4-5 years.  Hence Trump.

I don't want to be a bring people down with this.  On the contrary, I want people to be on fire and be active so the elections go the way they want it to.   The 2018 wave we had was just that, a wave.  People are lethargic again. If everything remains as is, the results will be the same, and what you are seeing today will be in 2021. That is really what I'm seeing.  

I want to be wrong!  Please make sure I am wrong!!!

Here is an opinion from a CNN contributor and former Obama advisor, Van Jones.  He foresaw Trump's rise in 2016 and was one of the rare Dems to say Trump was dangerous.  He is warning us again. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/opinions/trump-state-of-the-union-iowa-caucus-jones/index.html

lenor, FEBbby23, lenor and 1 people reacted
(@vagabeau)
Estimable Member Registered

@bright-opal

Van is a really smart guy. I wish we heard more from him. I don’t know what’s going to happen but even as I read your words I see trump fragile and in a wheelchair. Even before I ever heard of Pete B. the song Lost Boy by Ruth B. would play like an ear worm whenever someone mentioned the 2020 election. I don’t know what these things mean or even if they actually have something to do with the 2020 election. Time will tell. I feel I need to separate myself for a little while from the news. The more I watch the less I trust my judgement.

molly, Baba, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor
Topic starter  

Oh @vagabeau , I so hope you are right!  And I like Mayor Pete.  He's smart and his experience is different than others. He's a Washington outsider. Also, he is from a different generation which would bring new hope to Washington.  I think he is probably as far left as independents would be willing to go.

The other thing is we can't take a chance on taking a senator for president as this would mean one less Dems in the senate.  Dems can't afford that.  We need all the Senators we can get since the legislative branch of government is just as important if not more.

You are also right about too much news, it's bad for us at this time.  At the same time, we need to be more active in our communities to get the right person on the ticket (whoever that might be).  So we still need to be informed, using the right media/paper to get the news from.  It is a question of balance: right information, in small dosage.

Everyone, please get involved in your community for these elections.  And vote!

molly, Baba, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
Share: