Election Voting Issues
Let's talk voter suppression shall we?
From Northern Arizona, Arizona legislature Rep. Bob Thorpe wants to stop college students from voting.
House Bill 2461 would bar college students in Arizona from registering to vote using a “dormitory address or other temporary college or university.” You students who live off-campus? Don't feel neglected. He's also hoping to strip many of you of your right to vote -- in his home town, at least. (Also, Tempe and Tucson.)
Lest you think he’s singling out dorm residents, he's also after students who live off-campus. The bill would bar anyone from registering to vote using "any address within this state at which the individual does not intend to reside for 12 months of each year."
1. Your base is not college kids. We get it. But your 12 month thing just canceled out every single snowbird which calls their "residence" on tax forms Arizona. Also, those who simply flee the state during the summer months. Me thinks they make up a good part of your base. Idiot. Now they can't vote at all, even for you. Illegal anyone?
2. If Arizona in-state college kids can't vote where they live for most of the year, they certainly would not be able to vote using their non-school ( Aka parents home, where they may spend summer and winter break) Arizona address because as you know, they don't live there 12 months a year either. So now college kids from Arizona can't vote at all? Idiot! That is illegal. Even if you pass this stupid bill, it is illegal.
3. In 4 years or less time, these kids will be graduated and if they still chose to 'LIVE" in Arizona, a state filled with stupid legislators like yourself ( who also pass insane laws making AZ spending on educational ranked last in the nation, consistently) they will remember your fat ass and vote you out of any office you wish to hold.
4. By the way, those kids you wish to suppress the vote for? Their parents also vote. When they can't vote who do you think they will complain too? Parents who care about their kids and want them to succeed and be good citizens will also vote. Vote for your opponent.
Here is the important part of the bill.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER LAW, THE FOLLOWING MAY NOT BE USED FOR DETERMINING RESIDENCY FOR VOTER REGISTRATION PURPOSES AND ARE DEEMED TO BE EVIDENCE OF A TEMPORARY ADDRESS WITH INTENT TO RETURN TO SOME OTHER PERMANENT ADDRESS:
1. A DORMITORY ADDRESS OR OTHER TEMPORARY COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY ADDRESS.
2. ANY ADDRESS WITHIN THIS STATE AT WHICH THE INDIVIDUAL DOES NOT INTEND TO RESIDE FOR TWELVE MONTHS OF EACH YEAR.
This is because Arizona State has a student body of 80,000+ and a large percentage of them are from California, Illinois/Chicago, and New York. Add that to U of Arizona's 30,000 and you easily have enough votes to swing an election.
I'm surprised this is news though. I went to ASU and was never allowed to vote(Clinton/Dole 96 election year) the year I lived in the dorms. It was one "request for more info" after another during the process and it never got resolved by the election. This happened to many out of state friends of mine as well. Unless things have changed and it's gotten easier to register since I left, those kids have never been allowed to vote-maybe legally they could but there were so many hurdles to climb that they weren't allowed to in any actuality.
They have allowed kids to register who are students for some time. My girls have had Tempe voter Registration for a few years while there. The state has even had projects getting college kids to register to vote. There are many local Tempe issues which directly impact ASU students. For example, the city of Tempe is building a street car which will connect many apartments and businesses near ASU to the campus in order to ease traffic congestion and shortages of parking. Many local issues direct impact these students and they should be allowed to vote in the community they live if they so choose. They pay a lot of city tax for their monthly rent too.
The 12 month thing is just insane. Even the Secretary of State is concerned. It would cancel out anyone who spent some time in a secondary residence out of state. Spend 6 weeks in your Colorado cabin during the summer? You can't vote. Go to your home in New England for December? You can't vote in Arizona elections.
Ok well now I have seem it all. I am parking this here because we don't have a section for insane Trump Supporters...yet.
To protest the upcoming Democratic elections in Nevada (I can't believe I am about to say this) a group know as P.U.T.I.N., Pigeons United To Interfere Now, claimed responsibility for glueing tiny red Make America Great Again hats onto the heads of pigeons in Las Vegas.
You can't make this stuff up.
Photos and full story here.
I just sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and to Bernie and Elizabeth's campaigns reporting this.
Well, make people aware to begin with including the college population who might be more apt to protest. Trump was just here the other day. When democrat candidates come campaign here (we are a purple state right now with a huge senate election Mc Sally vs. Mark Kelly) they need to bring this up.
Regarding the MAGA hat pigeons, don't do stupid things like that? ha ha
This is what our country has become. A group calling itself PUTIN glueing MAGA hats on pigeons heads. I cant even type it without laughing. These people are actually proud of this! If I did something that stupid and called myself PUTIN, I'd be too ashamed to let anyone know it was me.
This is why we really need to ditch all the warning labels and safety gear and bring back Darwinian natural selection. The good parents will still be smart enough to protect their children and the gene pool will become much stronger. Haha