Notifications
Clear all

Bernie Sanders

(@anumidium)
Estimable Member Registered

With much respect and love Michele and Jaidy, I don’t think there can be unity until everybody is on the same page. I’m a millennial. Things haven’t been great for me, and I don’t see them changing. I am going to visit the food bank today. I am on SNAP but the refill dates are a bit awkward sometimes. I am in school to become a naturopath and will come out with an absolutely ungodly amount of debt. This is my life path; I cannot do anything else. I am absolutely terrified of climate change. I admit that I do have blame for the older generations; a ton of it.  That division is much deeper now than it was in 2008 when Obama ran. And, if I may be blunt, his promise of ‘unity’ was false for many Americans. The fundamental changes that many hoped for did not happen. I believe is where the anger of my generation, and to some degree the anger of the Trump-ites, has come from. Some resolution of those underlying issues will be needed before we can have unity. 

Michele, Unk p, Five81993 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@herondreams)
Famed Member Registered

To me it feels more and more clear that real change in this country needs to come from the bottom up; it won't simply be voted in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that voting doesn't matter--it does! We need engagement to preserve our democracy. But we need more than this to solve our problems and begin to cure our deep wounds. One of the visions expressed here that has resonated with me is that of less focus on federal government and more done at the local/state level. When I participated in one of the read the future nights (following the video, not live), I had a sense of a kind of "Rosie the Riveter" energy, and folks working hard together, digging in the soil to grow a better world. We need to work on healing divisions and building strong communities--and that's so much more than voting or who is president (at least, not Trump or the current GOP). There's been a lot of discussion (and some blame) over Biden's victory in the south. Here the pain and distrust from Jim Crow, which many older black Americans remember well, is still very real. My very liberal city remains segregated in many ways and racial inequity is pervasive, so it makes sense to me that many black voters are disinclined to trust that the majority will vote for policies centered on economic justice. There hasn't been enough work to earn that trust, as this article argues well: 

Older black voters in South Carolina have a lifetime of education and experience dealing with the most persistent threat to their safety and rights in this country: white people.

My read of the South Carolina vote is that black people know exactly what they’re doing, and why. Joe Biden is the indictment older black folks have issued against white America. His support is buttressed by chunks of the black community who have determined that most white people are selfish and cannot be trusted to do the right thing. 

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/biden-black-vote/

Please continue to vote, but also get involved in your communities to the extent that you're able to do so. This won't be easy for me either, but it is time to roll up my sleeves, flex my bicep and do what little I can manage to help in the work of building a better world for everyone. 

Pikake, Unk p, Amyv and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yofisofi)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @deetoo

I will say, though, that I don’t see Biden as President.  I’m not seeing Bernie, but I’m not seeing Biden.  Maybe it's just me, but energetically things seem slightly calmer to me now.  And yet, it’s all a big jumble.  This is one crazy ride we’re on. 

By "seeing" I'm assuming you mean intuitively? If you are not seeing Bernie or Biden, then who are you seeing as President?

I do agree with the several posts by Jaidy, numerologist, TriciaCT and others who say that VP pick is extremely important in this race. 

Lilinoe, deetoo, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anumidium)

I really really wanna like the Rosie the Riveter thing, but... I need to have food in my bowl and a roof over my head if I’m gonna be able to work like that. That’s the kind of help my generation needs. I am drowning right now. I need a helping hand. 

I was in the grocery store the other day. I just really wanted some apples. I hardly eat any fruit these days. I picked up a bag because it said 3.99. I got to the self-checkstand and put the bag down - turns out it was $11 for that bag of apples. 3.99 a pound. I pushed the button to call the clerk over because that’s what you have to do to void an item. I cannot afford $11 for a bag of apples. She was sympathetic and not surprised. I was definitely not the only person to make the same mistake. I’m really really trying to send out love and understanding right now, but something has to change. 

Lilinoe, Michele, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

I think the next POTUS VP will be a woman and that person will be the next POTUS. Whether it's during the first 4 years of that person or after it. That's how we finally get a female POTUS. Which is why I hope it's Elizabeth!

Lilinoe, CC21, Unk p and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anumidium)

I just told y’all that I can’t afford apples and you’re still talking about a woman president. While I agree that’s important, this is why my generation is angry. Y’all aren’t listening to us. 

Five81993 and Five81993 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yofisofi)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @anumidium

I just told y’all that I can’t afford apples and you’re still talking about a woman president. While I agree that’s important, this is why my generation is angry. Y’all aren’t listening to us. 

I just have to laugh at this. No really, think about it -- a woman president, particularly Elizabeth Warren of all people, might just be the person who will lower the price of apples for you! Or better yet, she would lower your cost of housing, solve income inequality to raise your wages, make college tuition-free, cancel your student debt, lower prescription drug costs, etc etc so that you don't actually have to worry about the price of apples anymore! 

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/candidates-views-on-the-issues/elizabeth-warren/

Unk p, TriciaCT, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@anumidium

You didn't say exactly how old you are, but I suspect you are around the age of my oldest.

Around Christmastime, I bought a pack of a new kind of apple, a mini-apple, very good.  Expensive but they were on sale and I had a coupon. On a recent visit, same apple, but the price has skyrocketed. I commented to my spouse about it.

I can afford them but didn't buy them. I listen to my two oldest talk about the cost of food, housing, school, ect.  They are worried.  Many millenials I have talked to or listened to are stressed or worried. I am worried for mine, and for all of you. No one should have to worry about having the money to buy groceries or pay the rent.  I don't know what the answer is.

I'm over 50. (not too much over!) We do listen and we do care.

Lilinoe, Michele, ghandigirl and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Someone brought up Biden picking Stacy Abrams as his VP. Back in 2018 when they were doing the recount for Governor, I posted on here that I see Abrams as VP in either 20 or 24. When I got that feeling 2 years ago, it was very strong and came out of nowhere. If he picks her, I'm very confident that he will win the Presidency.

Lilinoe, CC21, Unk p and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@yofisofi, I'm not seeing it intuitively.  I have no idea what that means, because I'm not seeing anyone occupying that Oval Office space in 2021.  Maybe that's because I'm picking up on some voter hanky panky/suppression.  I know that others on the site have seen some voting upheaval in the upcoming Presidential race.  Perhaps in the coming months, it will become clearer to us.  

I do see the 2024 Presidential election being a major turning point -- most likely a Dem female.  For as much as I want that Mad King out of there, I've decided to focus my energy on keeping the House blue and flipping the Senate.  No matter who wins the Presidency, we won't be able to make those progressive changes if the Senate and House are in R hands.

@mas1581, I agree with you about Abrams.  I'd also love to see Warren as VP this year, but I'm now concerned that the Mass. R Governor will choose a R to replace her in the Senate.

Lilinoe, Unk p, Amyv and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Spot on. Take the Senate.

Lilinoe, Amyv, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 MMA
(@meliaamal)
Prominent Member Registered

@anumidium

I don't think Tricia was responding to you, but to the conversation above about who people were intuiting would be the next president. I don't think it's fair to imply that she, or any of us,  are not listening to you because she didn't immediately reply to your story.

For what it's worth, it's heartbreaking that you can't afford to buy apples. Allow me to gently suggest though that you are not the first or only generation with that issue. I am a 42-year old woman and I spent many years of my 20s and early 30s with $0 in my bank account, eating boxed mac and cheese, while I went to school and worked part time or full time jobs. I also spent the majority of my adult life with no health insurance and no possibility of health insurance - it simply was not on the table if your employer didn't offer it, if you were in school, or if you were a freelancer, all of which I experienced at various points. For people of my generation, we have made leaps and bounds in terms of progress, largely via the Obama administration which -lest we forget - Mitch McConnell explicitly pledged to stop at every turn. For example, while I am all for Medicare for All, I am incredibly aware of and thankful for Obama and Nancy Pelosi getting health care coverage passed AGAINST ALL ODDS. They literally had to shove it through before the tea party came roaring into the house and senate. Personally, the passage of the ACA was critical. I was only able to afford to have my baby because of the ACA's mandate that pre-existing conditions be covered (I moved states without a job when I was pregnant, which is considered a "pre-existing" condition) -and that is something that was literally impossible before the ACA. So many older women spoke to me about how they lost jobs when they got pregnant or were unable to move jobs when they were pregnant throughout the 80s, 90s and 2000s. For us, and so many people with pre-existing conditions, so many students  who hadn't been covered by their parents' insurance before, the ACA was an incredible move in the right direction.

Change is coming, change is here - look at how far Biden has come in terms of what he says he now espouses. We can keep pushing him to change if he is the candidate. We can vote in a blue senate and blue house and get shit done. 

I guess my point is, don't count us out. Most of us here have been through more than you know, more than we admit, and want just as much change as you do, we just might have different ideas of how to get there.

Lilinoe, Michele, TriciaCT and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jaidy)
Noble Member Registered

What I hear here is people putting their faith in politics or a specific politician to change things for them. We deny our agency and while we may not be able to change the cost of food or big circumstances we can change our attitude- we can say to our colleagues that we appreciate a politics- free space to work, tell our bosses if they don’t stop- or offer your perspective- I wouldn’t want to hear someone calling another woman shrill no matter who she was. Unity is a choice we each make- I don’t blame Obama for not achieving unity- I saw him try hard. But what I learned from that experience is that we are responsible for our role in how things are. If I want unity then I have to be unifying and reach to others with lovingkindness- I have to embody the change I want to see. I Recognize my agency in the way things are- no one is going to save us or destroy us- Bernie isn’t our savior, and Biden isn’t going to stop us from changing things either. We’ve seen over and over that our local communities will be far more impactful than the federal government. But if we look for opportunities to connect with those we may not agree with we change things and if we don’t things stay the same or get worse. The opportunity to connect doesn’t just mean listening to others- it’s about sharing your experience too- it’s a powerful narrative. 

Lilinoe, Pikake, Coyote and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

I am still chuckling to myself over unk-p's ramen post. I hate it for a reason.

I remember over dinner one night as newlyweds, my husband asked me to promise that if/when we were financially secure, I wouldn't serve Hamburger Helper (or Tuna Helper) anymore. 

Looking in the couch for change, mac & cheese, barest-minimun grocery buying, rent stressing. Yep. 

Lilinoe, BlueBelle, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@natalie)
Noble Member Registered

@anumidium I am so so sorry that you are going through this. I have been there too when I was in school. There were months when my student loans were late and I couldn't afford tuition, rent and food at the same time. One month I developed a terrible case of tonsillitis and an obstruction in my throat that was gradually making it impossible to breathe, this required a trip to the hospital. Luckily for me when I didn't have $10 to rub together I was living in Canada and I didn't get any medical bills. This is WHY I push so hard for universal healthcare - it literally saved my life. I understand the rage of looking at others older than ourselves who point their fingers downwards and give us empty platitudes. That's not helpful, it never has been nor will it be. 

For some people change is not a hypothetical idea whereby we hope things will get better and the powers that be in elected office throw us some more crumbs. For many many people change is an urgent necessity, a necessity that cannot wait on the hearts of old white men who've never had to think deeply about poverty themselves to open their hearts. 

I am now financially comfortable. If there's something I can do for you like sending a little money or food please comment below and I'll get on it. 

Love

Natalie

Lilinoe, Coyote, Unk p and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Amyv
(@amyv)
Prominent Member Registered

@anumidium what response are you seeking in a free range conversation?

Mother of a 28 year old and a 31 year old

Lilinoe and Lilinoe reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yofisofi)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @anumidium

I just have to laugh at this. No really, think about it -- a woman president, particularly Elizabeth Warren of all people, might just be the person who will lower the price of apples for you! Or better yet, she would lower your cost of housing, solve income inequality to raise your wages, make college tuition-free, cancel your student debt, lower prescription drug costs, etc etc so that you don't actually have to worry about the price of apples anymore! 

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/candidates-views-on-the-issues/elizabeth-warren/

P.S. Not laughing at your financial struggles -- only at the misplaced anger at those of us who were talking about a potential woman president who is likely to actually be part of the solution. Having grown up in poverty and experienced these kinds of worries, I have to agree with other posts here that say -- worry about affording apples or other produce for healthy eating is not something new or limited to millenials (I'm assuming that's what you identify as). For the record, I'm a late gen X-er. This is why we need change, and why we must #votebluenomatterwho. 

Lilinoe, Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

Posted by: @meliaamal

@anumidium

I don't think Tricia was responding to you, but to the conversation above about who people were intuiting would be the next president. I don't think it's fair to imply that she, or any of us,  are not listening to you because she didn't immediately reply to your story.

I guess my point is, don't count us out. Most of us here have been through more than you know, more than we admit, and want just as much change as you do, we just might have different ideas of how to get there.

Thank you MMA for explaining to @anumidium that I was only posting in this Bernie thread about the topic of POTUS / VP and not responding directly about the apples comment.

@anumidium  It made me sad to hear you couldn't even afford those apples. And like Natalie, I would be happy to buy you those apples too. I was once sharing a home with several roommates when I was younger and had to sleep on other people's couches for a while, yet it was years ago and what the younger folks like yourself face now is not right. Neither is not having affordable healthcare, housing, threats of cutting social security and medicare, College tuition being too high, etc. Perhaps that's why we are all trying to get people like Elizabeth Warren in a place of power because it sure isn't going to happen with the GOP in the White House and the Senate.

It's also true that we have to do what's best for our communities on a local level and not rely on one man or woman or our government to solve it all for us.

Lilinoe, BlueBelle, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

MMA,

I read your post a second time, and appreciated it even more, and what you said, so, so, so true!

My husband had to go into the hospital for surgery shortly after we we married.  No money. No health insurance even though we both worked. We've both worked two and even three jobs from time to time, down through the years. We had to pay the bill.  It took forever.  Nobody helped us.

I think it's tougher for millenials now because, as usual, wages haven't kept up with the cost of living.  But weren't wages proportional to the COL then, too?

I don't recall being "angry." Maybe I was and don't remember. I do remember being hyper-stressed, worried and jealous of people who were financially comfortable.  I also know we've worked our asses off our whole lives. I think most people have been there.

I remember when Hillary Clinton got absolutely crucified in the media, and by the GOP, when she put forth her healthcare for all proposal. Ahead of her time, that woman.

Sanders and Biden aside, we all need to remember that the Rethugs are still hard at work trying to repeal the ACA, pre-existing coverage and everything that goes with it. Millions of people without healthcare, again?  No sleep lost for them.

Lilinoe, BlueBelle, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Reading The NY Times this morning has me feeling nauseated at that newspaper's willingness to trash Bernie Sanders.  The paper is reporting on a 1989 effort that Sanders made when Mayor of Burlington, VT,  with encouragement from the Reagan administration, to develop a positive relationship with a sister city in Russia.  That was before Putin.  That was 31 years ago. That was an effort encouraged by Ronald Reagan who has been hailed for his relationship with the Kremlin during his administration to put an end to the Cold War. It has zero to do with Donald Trump's 2013 - 2020 relationship with Vladimir Putin which has weakened out national security and benefited oligarchs. 

For the Times, this story is an embarrassment.  It reminds me of their Judy Miller stories back in 2002 that showed "proof" that Iraq had weapon's of mass destruction. Back then, they let an irresponsible, unprofessional narcissistic reporter dominate the front pages and make the case for war against Iraq.  Now they are reporting this same kind of propaganda nonsense. 

Ironically, I've been encouraged by some of the posts here that Biden might be just the calming healing influence our country needs right now.

However, what matters to me is that the process of choosing a candidate is honest and non manipulative.

Lilinoe, Coyote, BlueBelle and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 11
Share: