The Great Unravelin...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Great Unraveling and the Great Turning - Rebuilding a Progressive America in the Future

(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

Posted by: @laura-f

The Dems can't expand SCOTUS. It would require a constitutional convention to change the number of justices, and would have to be ratified by 2/3 of the states.

Yes, they can, and no, it doesn't require any ratification by the states or a Constitutional amendment.  Beginning with the fifth paragraph of this link 

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/packing-the-supreme-court-explained

you will find the following explanation and a timeline of the changes made in the size of the Court since 1789:

...under the Constitution, the number of Supreme Court Justices is not fixed, and Congress can change it by passing an act that is then signed by the President. Article III, Section 1, starts with a broad direction to Congress to establish the court system: “The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish.”

2ndfdl, TriciaCT, Vesta and 7 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

A very interesting announcement is being made by the New Yorks Attorney General Letitia James  who will be making “a major national announcement” today at 11:30 AM.

Hmmmm... is "the worm turning? " "is the other shoe dropping"? Will this be the "nail in the coffin" ?

I pray this will be the news that reveals Trumps link with Putin and why he has betrayed us and more... it remains to be seen tho. As always check out Heather Cox Richardson's recording of history as it happens.

TriciaCT, lenor, Vesta and 17 people reacted
(@lowtide)

Thanks to you all I have discovered Heather Cox Richardson. What a breath of fresh air! Thank you! ?

TriciaCT, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 7 people reacted
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

@journeywithme2

I just reas that the Attorney General  has Trump financial records from the bank

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/prosecutors-reportedly-get-trump-s-financial-records-bank-n1236010?cid=sm_fb_maddow

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, lenor and 11 people reacted
 MMA
(@meliaamal)
Prominent Member Registered

@jessi1978

NY AG Letitia James asks court to dissolve the NRA due to massive fraud and self-dealing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nra-lapierre-ny-attorney-general/2020/08/06/8e389794-d794-11ea-930e-d88518c57dcc_story.html?tidr=a_breakingnews

TriciaCT, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
(@mas1581)

Does anyone know of any successful attempts at something like this? As much as the NRA needs to go, this feels to me, as a layman, as a bad precedent to set. I would have assumed they would go after the leaders of the organization that committed the fraud. I do not see how a judge would force the organization to dissolve, when a complete change of leadership would suffice at ending the problems. The Trump foundation was dissolved but it was run by a specific family, whereas the NRA is longstanding thru many different variations of leadership. 

TriciaCT, lenor, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
 MMA
(@meliaamal)
Prominent Member Registered

@mas1581

I don't know how commonly its used, but NY law allows for the AG to request judicial dissolution of a company if the company "carried on, conducted or transacted its business in a persistently fraudulent or illegal manner, or by the abuse of its powers contrary to the public policy of the state." Other states have involuntary dissolution statutes that don't require judicial intervention.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2014/bsc/article-11/1101/

Isabelle, TriciaCT, Vesta and 9 people reacted
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@tgraf66

Thank you - apparently I was misinformed.

If that's the case, I think we should have 13 justices, an odd number and good luck to boot, and they should not be lifelong appointees, but I think reasonably they could have 20 year terms. Also, an age limit.

Another reason to win back the Senate...

BlueBelle, Isabelle, TriciaCT and 15 people reacted
(@tgraf66)

@laura-f I agree about term limits, but unfortunately, that part *is* hard-coded into the Constitution in Article III, Section 1 where it says "...shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour...", which means that unless they commit an impeachable crime, they're in for life or until they leave voluntarily.  Changing that would definitely require an amendment.

BlueBelle, TriciaCT, lenor and 7 people reacted
(@allyn)

And the law strikes again!

As many of you know, Ms. Jean Carroll, a columnist in New York, has a defamation lawsuit against the Predator in Chief, claiming that he raped her in a dressing room at the department store Bergdorf Goodman about 25 years ago.  She filed a motion asking for a sample of his DNA (she had the foresight of keeping the dress she was wearing at the time of the incident) to prove that she is telling the truth. Trump sought to delay the case saying that he was immune so long as he was President.

The judge ruled against him.  So Ms. Carroll can get Trump's DNA.

Will she get it before the election?  I don't know, but it may serve as an "October surprise" if the DNA sample matches.  Remember, Trump denies having any contact whatsoever with Carroll.  So if he is forced to give a sample and it matches, he is a liar at best and a rapist at worse.

BlueBelle, Isabelle, tybin and 19 people reacted
(@triciact)

@allyn

...Not to mention a negligent murderer of $159,000 people because of his inaction regarding the virus ? ? 

BlueBelle, lenor, JourneyWithMe2 and 5 people reacted
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

Make DC, and Puerto Rico states. Pack the courts, make 1 judge courts 3 judge courts if needs be. Make the Supreme court 15 justices. Make a super majority of congressional seats blue, then we can change the constitution to throw out the electoral college. That's my opinion. 

By the way matcha flavored Kit Kats are awesome, highly recommend them. Japanese store grocery haul: matcha kit kats, Meiji dark chocolate, calbee seaweed potato chips, tuna onigiri, and a salmon bowl. So happy. 

TriciaCT, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
(@allyn)

@jsr78

If the Republicans try to fill another Supreme Court seat before January 3, 2021 (when the new Congress is seated), then I agree completely.  If Republicans refuse to follow the rules of fair play, then we need to ensure that they don't benefit from their cheating.  Enough is enough, and the time has come for Democrats to stop playing nice and forgiving to the Republicans all the time.  We tried that during the Obama years, and it just emboldened them further.  I sincerely hope that Democrats take steps to ensure "one person=one vote," instead of relying on the electoral college.  And I live in a RED STATE and feel this way.  I am sick and tired of people's votes being watered down so that the minority continues to control the rest of us. 

The Republican party deserves to die if it can't change.  But we shouldn't make concessions for it after all they have done.  Let them suffer by taking them out of power then ensure that they can never take power again without changing their ways.  If we get rid of gerrymandering and the electoral college, then the Republican Party can either change (stop catering to racists and others who want to make everyone who is not like them into second-class citizens) or die.

Based on their actions of late, I predict they will die.  At most, they will stay strong in certain regions in the nation, but they will never gain the national power that they did before.  Good riddance!

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, Isabelle and 15 people reacted
(@allyn)

@triciact

I agree, but it doesn't matter.  [content removed] He can do no wrong, so why should they care that thousands are dead and millions more are losing their homes, jobs, and everything they hold dear.

The good news is that many of Trump's supporters are particularly at risk for Covid-19.  With luck, they will be unable to vote in large numbers in November, and they have become so suspicious of mail-in ballots that they won't use them.  But it is up to the Democrats and Independents in red states (myself included) to vote in large numbers so that we can be heard for once.  If we do, then we can counteract Trump's attempts to steal the election again.  Or, in the alternative, we can pack the Senate and the House with people that they can block Trump (assuming he succeeds in cheating again) from doing more damage and/or impeach him again.

VOTE BLUE, NO MATTER WHO!!!!!!!

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, 2ndfdl and 23 people reacted
(@polarberry)

@laura-f

I'm with you, 100%.

This administration and presidency cannot be glossed over with the argument that they just think differently. Not this time. No way. What haven't they tried? Lying, stealing, conspiracy theories, doctored videos, soliciting and accepting foreign interference,, tear-gassing peaceful protesters, people locked in cages, destruction of the environment, animal protections gutted, so much corruption listing it all is impossible- the list goes on, ad infinitum.

Power and money, money and power. That's it. That's who they are and what it's about. People, animals and planet be damned.

TriciaCT, Isabelle, lenor and 13 people reacted
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Any thoughts on the newest scandal that has befallen on poor T. Now it’s about him pressuring  his ambassador to sway them British to move the British opening to his golf course in Scotland? They are reports  saying that they withheld the state department general investigation report.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/world/europe/trump-british-open.amp.html

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/report-on-trump-scheme-to-profit-from-uk-favors-withheld-ig-fired-89621573520?cid=sm_fb_maddow

polarberry, Isabelle, lenor and 7 people reacted
(@mas1581)

Just want to put this out there so no one gets blindsided.

The payroll tax order DT signed is just a deferral. It will need to be paid back. In the simplest terms, take whatever your check goes up by, multiply it by 10(if biweekly) and thats what you'll have to pay back, or have come out of your tax return next year. 

Unk p, lenor, DannyBoy and 5 people reacted
(@dannyboy)

@mas1581  -  Ahhh, but you forget one important detail.  We won't have to if we vote for him. ? ? ? ?

I'm hopeful my school district will continue taking it out.  Our business office tends to operate with an err of caution rather than guns blazing when given the choice.

Parizienne, Pikake, lenor and 3 people reacted
(@tgraf66)

@mas1581  What you are saying is correct, but as I understand it, there is some question as to whether he actually has the authority to do that.  He also did an EO to increase unemployment by $400/ a week again, which is questionable as well, since all new spending authority is reserved to the House of Reps.  We'll see in the coming days.

lenor and lenor reacted
(@mas1581)

@tgraf66

There is definite question as to whether he can do that, but I highly doubt anything is resolved by the end of the year. Also, the Dems in congress can't stop it, or even publically complain, because it will be spun to say they are keeping money out of peoples hands. 

Also, he says if he wins, he will make it permanent. This just makes me laugh because there is nothing holding him to it. The 2nd election will be over and he will no longer care what even his voters think. This is why he signed it only til the end of the year. When people realize it wasnt an actual tax break and their $2500 return they were expecting beckmes a $300 bill, it will be too late. Also, if he does permanently end it, he ends social security and Medicare because that is their funding. 

Isabelle, lenor, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
Page 92 / 102
Share: