Notifications
Clear all

The Great Unraveling and the Great Turning - Rebuilding a Progressive America in the Future  

Page 29 / 47
  RSS

(@suspira44)
Reputable Member Registered Registered
06/02/2020 5:55 pm  

@allyn I hope I'm here for it. I just found out one of my cousins died - it was sudden. Her sister died a couple of months ago and she was devastated. We all were - we're a close family. And the situation in the country - she was taking it very hard. Frankly I think she just gave up. This year has been very discouraging, and the last few years have been awful.

I think what you say is probably right, but I do not appreciate the way things were handled before this.

One hamburger too many - I love it.

FEBbby23, Lenor, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@fjellvandre)
New Member Registered
06/02/2020 6:11 pm  

@jeanne-mayell

Sorry! I think my message was unclear. I only wanted to share with you what I have seen/feel the future holds. It seems to be more or less in line with other predictions here. I certainly don't want anyone not to vote or do anything drastic. Some of you have shared your visions of the future and I wanted to chip in with my small bit. I don't normally have any insights of the future but felt this shift in 2020 (hence me finding this forum) and because of that I am carefully optimistic about the rest of my vision.

As I have seen it things are already unfolding as planned and the opportunists will soon enough have their luck change. I just wanted to share that. If, against all odds, the nightmare continues after november, so not despair. It shouldn't last for very long after that if I'm right. It will be just long enough for them to think they've won and then they will be sitting alone in a mess of their own making. 

That being said I do hope this ends long before that. 

Lenor liked
ReplyQuote
(@jessi1978)
Honorable Member Registered
06/02/2020 6:11 pm  

The state of Minnesota launched a sweeping civil rights probe into the Minneapolis Police Department on Tuesday, a week after an officer allegedly killed a black man during an arrest, officials said.

The probe, stemming from the death of George Floyd, will be designed to root out "systemic racism that is generations deep," Gov. Tim Walz told reporters.

The Minnesota of Department of Human Rights is filing a commissioner's charge of discrimination and launch a civil right investigation against the Minneapolis Police Department," Walz said.

The investigation will review MPD's policies, procedures and practices over the last 10 years to determine if the department has utilized systemic discriminatory practices towards people of color."

The Minneapolis City Council said it would assist.

"We welcome and fully support the Minnesota Department of Human Rights’ robust investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department," according to a council statement.

"We urge the state to use its full weight to hold the Minneapolis Police Department accountable for any and all abuses of power and harms to our community and stand ready to aid in this process as full partners."

The city lawmakers said their efforts to oversee its police department have "been historically constrained by the City Charter and state law" so they "welcome new tools to pursue transformational, structural changes."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/state-minnesota-files-civil-rights-charge-against-minneapolis-police-department-n1222476?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR1nJ3xY50QS2SnYVjEJ8UtD4RZfdU1BtjBjBQzvEbcWi6z3X8XVtiDtVHQ&fbclid=IwAR0L6CGA7DYCtYQSSD8Y7-rNesbX4I1rjFrphzn2M6HQHifVwO-akG6RRgw&fbclid=IwAR2kDvL5h_23NeRlRs-aGKQen-Be3HNF1OR9aK7fdcJi0YpxbY8msMNeaGM&fbclid=IwAR2KCxMvkhCeo8F60RWBl2SDthjtq9PRCmk7_wXBJPiQ2XMd7wQiFNJUJYY&fbclid=IwAR1PSJ6ARSj2OBVHDoHY6g-5vc3Gtyqzk8rjXGpl6dX9smMPnOZxqjcw59A

We shall see what happens 

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, Stargazer and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Estimable Member Registered
06/02/2020 6:40 pm  
Posted by: @allyn

It won't be from lack of trying, of course.  Trump and some of his minions talk as though they want one.  For the last few years, we have had one crisis over another. 

But have you noticed that Trump supporters are no where to be seen?

Unfortunately I am seeing this in my city (Philadelphia). Lots of people took to the streets last night with bats and other weapons (someone I saw via video footage had a hatchet) to "protect" their neighborhood from the protestors. In a shocking twist, the police interacted with them nicely and otherwise left them alone. Lots of footage of it.

Thankfully the violence was minimal -- a few people were punched, I think, but that's par for the course in Philly -- but I fear more is to come.

There is a local "Neighborhood Watch" group on FB that my sister-in-law added me to. Everyone is so afraid of the riots showing up at their front door. LITERALLY at their front door, and we're out in the suburbs. I wanted to leave the group but decided to stay in order to keep an eye on it. Nearly every single person comments to say they are "locked and loaded." I could cry.

Then you have people commenting, "There are three people protesting in front of the Acme at the corner of A and B. They look like Antifa!" I'm like, calm down you friggin nut. You're talking about three high schoolers. Jesus Mary and Joseph!

Anyway, I tried reporting the group to Facebook for incitement of violence but was told it did not break FB's guidelines. 

God save us.

FEBbby23, Laura F., BlueBelle and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
06/02/2020 7:24 pm  

@suspira44, I am very sorry to hear about your cousins.  It must be so hard, especially with your family being close.  I will be praying for you and your family.

suspira44, I hope that I'm here for it too.  I'll be turning 68 soon.  I am exhausted.  We all need a break.  I do believe that I have more to offer this world.  We all do.

I have a question for the community:  is anyone getting a feeling that something is about to explode?  I don't know if explode is the right word, but it feels like something big.  Today I feel like I want to jump out of my skin.  I often feel that way when something is around the corner.  It feels like something more than anxiety.  Perhaps what is growing in the collective is so massive, that's what I'm picking up on?  Or is it more specific?    

FEBbby23, CC21, TriciaCT and 7 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Reputable Member Registered
06/02/2020 8:44 pm  

@deetoo

That big 'ol Full Moon is waxing up and it's an eclipse with some heavy aspects from Mars ... 

The upshot is there is a sustaining good energy from Saturn for some stability ....

Stay safe and sound everyone 💛

CC21, Laynara, CDeanne and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
06/02/2020 8:55 pm  

@laura-f

If you run into the paywall on wapo or NYT, just use Google Chrome and open an incognito tab. You'll get a few free articles and when they run out, close and reopen it

Laynara, deetoo and Lenor liked
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
06/02/2020 9:00 pm  

@Cdeanne

Sorry for the delay in response. I had a lot of catching up to do. Lol

Even though you will never fully see it, its not that hard to understand the world thru your son's eyes. My wife is black, our daughter is mixed, and we are adopting twin black boys at the moment. I knew the divide existed, but when I started to sit back and observe the world alone vs when I was with my wife and kids, the differences were clear as day. Sit back and look at how the world treats you alone and how they treat your son when he is with you. Then have a conversation with him about how he sees it. That will give you all the insight a parent needs. 

Also, there is no need to asterisk the statement that he is your son. Biology has no effect on who a real parent/child is. He is your son with no explanation necessary. 

Grace, FEBbby23, CC21 and 9 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@cdeanne)
Trusted Member Registered
06/02/2020 9:35 pm  

@mas1581  The asterisk served as a reference to the asterisked "footnote below" in which I shared my son's recent graduation from Berklee.

ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
06/02/2020 10:33 pm  

@deetoo

Oh, I'm not sleeping.  We are all blowing in the winds of time right now.  Meditating helps and brings me peace.  

Outside of meditation, I'm thinking about Kent State and have been for two days now.  All day long, Kent State comes to mind.  I remember my mother crying when the National Guard killed peaceful protesters on the campus of Kent State.  I was college age myself then.  So, there's that.  My gut says this whole presidential reality TV drama about calling in the military to protect us from protesters is going to end badly.  Anyone can see it.  This is a recipe for disaster.

Three pieces of pizza aside, I am hopeful of getting some rest tonight.

Lenor, CC21, deetoo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
06/02/2020 10:35 pm  

@sistermoon

I'm crying, your post is so funny and so very true.  I feel like I know these people in that Facebook group.  Mass hysteria is crazy.  LOL

Lenor, SisterMoon, deetoo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
06/02/2020 10:48 pm  

@deetoo

Yes. It might be my migraine, but something feels off and bizarre.

deetoo and Laura F. liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
06/02/2020 10:49 pm  

@mas1581

I used to do that, but they now block everything, even incognito tabs.

ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
06/02/2020 10:51 pm  

@cdeanne

my apologies then. I misunderstood

CDeanne liked
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
06/02/2020 10:54 pm  

@bluebelle

I don't know how to share it, but there is a video in the Orange nightmares response feed to his most recent tweet about the cop who was killed. It shows a black woman begging 3 uniformed military men to march with her. They couldn't leave their post without severe reprimand, but the knelt in unity with them. It reminded me of the famous flower in the gun barrel photo.

fmabon, Lenor, FEBbby23 and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
06/02/2020 11:00 pm  

@deetoo - yeah Polarberry and I are both down for the count with migraines today. Pepsi for her and Mexican Coke for me LOL! I feel a little better, but yeah, I'm not stressed out and haven't eaten anything that should trigger a migraine. Sometimes I think the moon has some minor effect that snowballs. I know that in NoVa I got way more of them - every time the barometric pressure dropped I'd get one. There's something definitely happening - I feel a disturbance in the Force too.

@Bluebelle - I've had that Neil Young song in my head since Saturday... Let's see if I recall the lyrics correctly for those not familiar:

KENT STATE (Neil Young)

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming,
We're finally on our own,
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.
Gotta get down to it,
soldiers are gunning us down,
shoulda been gone long ago,
What would you do if you found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?

Lenor, Kateinpdx, Stargazer and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
06/02/2020 11:50 pm  

@bluebelle, the past two days I've also been having those memories of Kent State.  Yesterday that infamous picture of the Kent State shooting popped into my mind, and I said to my husband "I have a feeling that if troops are deployed, something bad is going to happen."   Today what I felt was different and much more intense -- closer in time, maybe?  I just couldn't calm down and barely ate my dinner.

Then two hours ago I heard Rachel Maddow report that T. has deployed about 700 members of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division to Andrews AFB near D.C.  Another 1400 soldiers are on standby, armed with riot gear and bayonets.  Energetically I could feel some of these deployed servicemen -- they don't want to be part of this.  My feeling of dread then left and I felt a sense of calm in my solar plexus.  I even fell asleep on the sofa for about 45 minutes.   As I am writing this post, the following lyrics from the Crosby Stills & Nash song "Chicago" are blaring in my head:

We can change the world
Re-arrange the world
It's dying ... if you believe in justice
It's dying ... and if you believe in freedom
It's dying ... let a man live his own life
It's dying ... rules and regulations, who needs them
Open up the door

I remember that song was written about the anti-Vietnam war protests that took place during the 1968 DNC convention in Chicago, as well as the trial of protest leaders who were charged with conspiracy to incite a riot.  During the trial they gagged and chained the sole African American defendant to a chair in the courtroom, following his repeated outbursts in protest of the Judge's rulings.

At this moment I don't know what to make of it.  I am calmer right now, but I still intend to raid my stash of chocolate.  Pizza sounds good too, but I don't have any here! 

Sleep well, my friend.

fmabon, Lenor, CC21 and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
06/02/2020 11:59 pm  

@laura-f, good Lord!  We both got CS&N songs running in our heads ...

@laura-f and @polarberry, I'm sorry to hear about your migraines.  Glad that the Pepsi/Mexican Coke helped a bit.  I get migraines too, usually ocular, often stress-related -- been getting a lot more lately.  Laura-f, you're right -- the NoVa barometric pressure doesn't help!  

Lenor, CC21 and Laura F. liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered

Lenor, deetoo and CDeanne liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
06/03/2020 12:36 am  

@deetoo - last I heard, those troops you mention are actually at Ft Belvoir, not Andrews...just an FYI as that puts them way closer to you.

Lenor and deetoo liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
06/03/2020 12:59 am  

CORRECTION: The Neil Young song is titled OHIO - sorry!

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
06/03/2020 1:20 am  

I found a post on FB that summarizes very succinctly what @Vestralux and I were trying to say about the post from @Ana regarding the protests:

An example of a statement grounded in white privilege:
"It's horrible that an innocent black man was killed, but the property damage has to stop."

What it SHOULD say:
"It's horrible that property is being damaged, but the killing of innocent black people has to stop."

Check your privilege and your priorities.

VestraLux, ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Prominent Member Registered
06/03/2020 9:19 am  

@suspira44

My sympathy at the loss of your cousin. Sending you and your family some white light now! 😌 😇 

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
06/03/2020 9:47 am  

Good news: A Minneapolis school asked for food donations and the results were overwhelming. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2020/06/02/minneapolis-school-asked-people-donate-food-students-after-looting-closed-stores-miles-cars-lined-up/

Jewels, CDeanne, Jaidy and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Estimable Member Registered
06/03/2020 10:11 am  

Back in the 70's I worked with a black man at a small plant. He good natured, and funny, even outside work. A good guy. I left that job and didn't hear anymore about him, until I heard the cops had beat him to death outside of town. That still bothers me. What had happened to have him killed. I have a deep distrust in police, and I'm not black. I might look a little indian, but that's not the same.

Polarberry, Lenor, deetoo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)
Trusted Member Registered
06/03/2020 10:20 am  

@suspira44 I’m so sorry for the loss of your family members.  Devastating times are upon us.  Sending you love, peace and prayers that your heart be filled with calm and comfort.   Bless you and yours. ❤️🙏🏼☮️

Suspira44, Shawn, Stargazer and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
06/03/2020 10:23 am  

@laura-f, I just read that those troops are stationed at both Andrews AFB in Maryland and Fort Belvoir in Virginia.  Also additional 82nd Airborne battalions are on standby at Fort Bragg in NC.   Two soldiers anonymously reported receiving orders that they would not need the bayonets.  The AP was speculating it’s a result of public outcry on social media, but who knows.  There's gotta be a few saner minds out there.

T. is so horrendous that yesterday I forgot we are in the middle of a pandemic! I’m grateful for tonight’s meditation.  Right now I can’t seem to settle down as well on my own.

@laura-f, how is your migraine this morning?  Take care of yourself, cookie. 

BlueBelle, Stargazer, Laura F. and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
06/03/2020 10:46 am  

Morning, all. Still pretty wobbly this morning but not as severe. Regarding the "disturbance in the force," (love that!), wasn't the SC supposed to rule on T's taxes early June?

Thanks for asking about my migraine, deetoo. 😋 

Seriously, I hate being in bed during the day. I get a sore back and I hate feeling/knowing that I haven't gotten anything done. Dogs are staring at me too, like what's going on?

FEBbby23, Lenor, ghandigirl and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
06/03/2020 11:21 am  

@polarberry, Doh!  (I'm making a Homer Simpson face right now, since I couldn't find the proper emoji ...)  I'm sorry!   I am glad to hear that your headache isn't as severe today.   I pray that it passes soon for you.

The last thing I'd heard about T's taxes was the decision coming sometime this summer.  

I had to laugh about your dogs.  One day when I was walking our dog, Gracie, I tripped on our front stoop, fell down and hit my head on our glass storm door.  The fall almost knocked me out, my head immediately swelled up like a balloon, huge gash and lots of blood.  I got up and as I rushed inside my house to attend to my head, Gracie pulled me in the opposite direction, towards the kitchen door.  She wanted me to let her out so she could chase squirrels and play.  Gracie was no Lassie! But I miss her to this day.

FEBbby23, Lenor, Polarberry and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
06/03/2020 11:37 am  

@deetoo @polarberry

Better today - also still "wobbly" - there's like a hangover... I have to remember to taper down my meds today so it doesn't rebound...

Everyone else - sorry for our migraine tangent! Back to your regular programming!

FEBbby23, ghandigirl, Polarberry and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Page 29 / 47
Share: