Notifications
Clear all

Stacy Abrams, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren etc and Biden's Search for V.P.  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

(@dhyanaji)
Trusted Member Registered
05/21/2020 11:18 pm  

@lenor   If Amy is his choice, and I really do admire her though everybody knows here that I'm an avid Stacy Abrams supporter, that's going to disillusion and disappoint a very large and vital voting block-Black Women. It may make many stay home come Election Time. My experience has been that in the Big Ticket Races the person running vets more than one person for potential running mate. They have to in case of any dust or dirt in the closets in even the best of potential candidates. I think he chose to vet Amy first not only because she's on his list, but also to see which way the wind blows as there has been such a push to choose a woman of color for the position. That's the way I'd do it in order to take the political Temp!

Lenor, FEBbby23, Seeker4 and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Estimable Member Registered
05/22/2020 6:30 am  

As I understand it, a candidate vets about 10 possible VP choices. So I'm sure there are many more being vetted than just Klobuchar and Whitmer. I guarantee he's also vetting Abrams and Harris, and likely a few most people haven't even considered.

Pikake, Lenor, FEBbby23 and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
 Ana
(@ana)
Eminent Member Registered
05/22/2020 10:17 am  

I agree it would be nice to have a woman of color as VP.  But it sure is nice to have a WOMAN of any color!   

And here's a thing about Klobuchar:  She's had lots of experience in Washington (unlike Abrams) and knows the system much better.  She also has a good history of being able to get people to cooperate with her across the aisle. Abrams is smart but has not held national office (yet).  Kamala Harris is a woman of color who, like Klobuchar, does have lots of experience in Washington.  I like her, but I do not think she comes across as much as a "uniter".  

We're going to need people who are seasoned and savvy about the system to be able to see all the "landmines" T has planted and the holes he has punched since 2016. If you don't see the details of the harm that has been done, and understand how it was done, it is difficult to undo that harm.    We've got to have someone to "right the ship" before we can point it in a progressive direction, IMO.  

In another thread, some people have mentioned that the see Biden coming as a placeholder and stabilizer.   I entirely agree.  I never got very excited about Biden but--- the man was VP, for deities' sake!  He KNOWS how the place looked when he left.  And most people view him as comfortable and trustworthy.  This is *critical*.  We've got to get most of the populace of this country on the same page in order to get things back to a semblance of sanity, and the fact is--- progressives like Bernie and Warren freak out a lot of otherwise sensible Republicans, Independents, and Libertarians.  Biden, not so much.  They'll listen to him.  

Remember (blech) Ronald Ray-gun?  A lot of people saw him as a kindly grandpa figure.  I didn't, but that is why he was popular.  Remember Dubya?  People said he was the kind of guy you could kick back and have a beer with.  That's why he got elected.     Never discount "likeability" as a factor that allows people to get elected and, after election, to get things done. 

Klobuchar has in common with Biden that she is a moderate and has a calm, friendly demeanor.  She doesn't freak people out.  And she is very, very smart.  I can see her as another good one to "right the ship".   That's not exciting.  And most of us want more than that in the long run.   But this could all be a case  of "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need."  

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
Reputable Member Registered
05/22/2020 11:06 am  

Ana, beautiful post, you hit every nail on the head. I don't know a lot about Abrams, but I do know that I don't feel we have the luxury of having a VP with limited government experience right now.  We need people who can put an immediate stop to the wrecking ball that T. and his minions have put to our country. I think she's very intelligent but this is not the time for learn-as-you-go. Also, I hope people who are planning to take the foot-stomping stance that because their candidate wasn't chosen, they will not vote. Another luxury we don't have this time around. I do not particularly like Bernie Sanders, but I absolutely would have voted for him because there is no one who is the open and serious threat to freedom and democracy that the people in power are.

Let's rescue ourselves and our country from the brink of fascism. Then we can work on restoration and change.

I love Kamala Harris. She is a one-woman cyclone of intelligence and savvy and I very much hope she has a position of power in the new administration.

Lenor, ghandigirl, Ana and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeans3head)
Active Member Registered
05/22/2020 11:29 am  

@ana This is the second time today I have heard of supporting Amy as Veep. I would want to know who the Governor is of her state, because he/she will get to pick her replacement if there’s not enough time for people to get it together for November. Is Amy up for re-election this year? I’m not sure, but these are all serious considerations!

TriciaCT, Lenor, FEBbby23 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Reputable Member Registered Registered
05/22/2020 11:36 am  

Well said all.  There is a great group of women who would make exceptional VP's.  Likeability is important to most people because, quite frankly, there is a large bunch of people who don't get involved in issues because they don't want to invest the time to read.  I know that sounds cruel but unfortuenatly I know a lot of these people!  Hell I have a famiy member who votes on her candidates based on LOOKS!   My mother, godrest her soul, used to always say "I'm a Republican because my father was a republican".  Funny thing is my grandfather was a Dem until Eisenhauer.  He switched to Rep because he liked Ike.  She also blamed everythng that was wrong with this country on unwed mothers.  Lord help us there are still people out there who agree.

But I degress.  Back toVP.  Another important factor in the chose will be whocan bring in the money.  I hate to say that but it is true.  I think Warren is a very good candidate.  The only thing I see as a negitive, and again I hate to say this, is her age.  She is very relateable.  I love Kamala because of her fire.  If she isn't VP I hope to hell she is AG.  She will roast the currant admin on a spite!  All in all I believe Joe is taking his time an being very through in the process.  HE said the other day that the vetting process is very complicated and invasive.  I just can't wait for the Dems to win.  I am so sick of the MangoMORon and is minions.

Once again please excuse my spelling.  I am well educated but I spell like I talk!  

TriciaCT, Jeans3head, Lenor and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
Reputable Member Registered
05/22/2020 11:43 am  

Harris ripped into Senate rethugs over their confirmation of Ratcliffe. Why are all these rethugs so appropriately named?

Much as I would love her as VP, I find myself hoping she becomes AG. No holds barred, pun intended.

TriciaCT, Lenor, FEBbby23 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@seeker4)
05/22/2020 11:46 am  

Wonderful comments one and all.  I'll only add, it's essential to consider the seat they leave behind because it MUST be filled by a Democrat.  

TriciaCT, Lenor, FEBbby23 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Estimable Member Registered
05/22/2020 11:57 am  

@ana

I liked Reagan. I want to know who is Dubya?

FEBbby23 liked
ReplyQuote
 Ana
(@ana)
05/22/2020 12:29 pm  

@elaineg  "Dubya" is George W. Bush, whose adminstration started the war with Iraq. 

My main problem with Reagan is that it was his administration that began imposing the "trickle-down economics" policies that have contributed greatly to the extreme wealth gaps we see today.   I could go on but I won't. 

TriciaCT, Lenor, Unk p and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
 Ana
(@ana)
05/22/2020 12:33 pm  

@jeans3head  Klobuchar has four more years left in her current term.  She was first elected in 2006.  The current governor of Minnesota is Tim Walz, a Democrat.

ReplyQuote
(@dhyanaji)
05/22/2020 7:59 pm  

Hey Polarberry and Carol......Welcome to the Forum Tonite!!!

Would love for both of you to weigh in on you're feeling and if you need any support or just to vent????

TriciaCT liked
ReplyQuote
(@dhyanaji)
05/22/2020 8:04 pm  

I meant to say, HOW you are feeling.Anyway, please engage if you can. Polarberry, I read your earlier posts and always enjoy them! Carol......... Everyone please enjoy the Holiday Wk.-End and Know that we'll All Be Just Fine.......Namaste'

TriciaCT liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: