(@fran)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

I feel it’s unlikely. Thoughts? 

diana11, Lola, diana11 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@runestoneone)
Noble Member Registered

Not likely. It's more likely she will contribute strongly in the background as a 'thought leader' and facilitator of political access for female candidates. Oprah is a speaker and activist -- somehow I get the feeling she wouldn't want to run a country.

Gigi, Avalon, diana11 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Blue
(@blue)
Honorable Member Registered

I would have thought the same as RunestoneOne. But if the press is to be believed two close friends have said she's 'actively thinking' about it. Would be interesting if she did. I think she'd have a lot of support.

Lola and Lola reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zoron)
Illustrious Member Registered

She will be involved. She will be helping in some way, the 2020 campaign. But I do not see her as a presidential candidate in 2020.That election is a training session for her. She might be a serious candidate later.

LB, Lola, LB and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@runestoneone)
Noble Member Registered

Was just having this conversation with my partner.  Part of what raises this issue is how low the bar 'running for president' has gotten to be. Heck, I've even thought I could do a better job than Orange Julius ... so someone who runs a media empire would certainly examine their skills and accomplishments against the current standard & conclude correctly that they could do a much better job. I think Oprah's decisions will ultimately hinge on where she feels she can plant her lever to accomplish the most. By 2020, the presidency may not be that place.

Marley, Lola, Marley and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lauri-h)
Estimable Member Registered

If Oprah were to consider a run for political office, it might make sense for her to make a run for Senate if there was an opening, and gain some legislative experience and then run in 2024. Though I don’t think there is a possibility in her home state and there is also the age issue, of course trumpy is 70ish so age may not be much of an issue these days.

ReplyQuote
(@kcking)
Estimable Member Registered

Please, no more celebrities!  There are countless people who have dedicated their lives in the selfless pursuit of community service.  They are our future politicians, not famous, rich people.  We must stop voting rich people into office.  I can't emphasize enough how important it is for us to shift our focus from the glamorous, self serving, rich to people who have committed their lives to serving fellow Americans.

Gigi, diana11, Gigi and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@diana11)
Reputable Member Registered

I agree with everyone else, I don't see it but she might help in the background. I also agree KC - no more celebrities!!!

Gigi and Gigi reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zoron)

Further re: Oprah. 

She is of considerable interest to others in the Democratic Party who think she would be a critically valuable candidate in a Southern State as a Senator, or Governor. This will be discussed, and debated. She might run in the very early informal stages of the Primaries, but the indicators are that she does not have office time in post, that would reassure voters. So, strong primary campaign interest, (she has not yet made up her mind) and some discussions for a possible State or Washington role. What might happen is an offer of a cabinet post, if the Democrats win, but this is not going to happen in 2020, sadly. The Morlocks will still have power.

Gigi, Avalon, Lola and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

I don't think Oprah will run for President.  I do see her becoming more active politcally (sorry the only thing worst then my spelling is my typing) .  She will speak at rallies and work to increase voter registration in the Southern states.  People like her because she came from the deep south and has made something of her self.  They listen to her because she has a strong message and terrific communication skills.  In other words, she know how to get the message out and I think that wwill be her roll.

Gigi, Kim K., Gigi and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kim-k)

Yogagirl, I agree. Her speech has inspire others to move forward, and take a stand for a better tomorrow. 

ReplyQuote
 LB
(@lb)

I can see that...

ReplyQuote
(@zoron)

Nope. I agree. she is not interested, in a run, but she will be doing stuff, in the Mid-terms, endorsing candidates, supporting them, etc. I would describe this as dipping a foot into the water. She will get drawn in. I do, one day, see her running for State Governor , or Washington senator. She will be a very valuable addition to the Black Caucus, and the Democrats. Quite possibly, later, a Cabinet Post. I get: "Health and Welfare". She puts that house in order. 

Michele, Grace, RunestoneOne and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

I love this Zoron! She would be amazing in any role. I was picturing her in an appointed role as Ambassador to Africa where her wonderful girl's school has transformed the lives of thousands of young women and lifted up the female energy and her own role as a mother to them and created a wellspring of future leaders and teachers for that country.

But reading what you see I now realize that she's already am Ambassador in all the ways that count and then much more, So I love now seeing her energy in any or all of the possibilities of political service that you see!

Kim K. and Kim K. reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: