[Solved] Michael Bloomberg  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

(@jeanne-mayell)
Admin
12/03/2019 5:34 pm  

@listenbrother.  I don't think there is as much support here as it seems.  Out of fourteen people posting so far,  two came out enthusiastically for Bloomberg, another has shown mild support, and five have come out against him. Others seem neutral. 

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, Lenor and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Registered
12/03/2019 6:11 pm  

I've been "liking" both the pro- and anti-Bloomberg posts on this thread because they all offer a lot of food for thought. I definitely think his candidacy adds more dynamism to the Democratic nominating contest, and the variety of opinions voiced here proves that point. He's forcing us to discuss in detail and hash out what we really want out of a progressive leader, and that's healthy for our democracy.

For the record, I'm neutral about Bloomberg the same way I'm neutral about all of the other Democratic contenders. Ultimately, I think we'll eventually have to reconsider as a country the wisdom of vesting so much hope, symbolism, and executive power in the office of the president, especially considering how unwieldy and hypercomplex the American nation-state has become. But that's a topic for another time.

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, Lenor and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@kimskorner)
Registered
12/03/2019 6:55 pm  

@listenbrother   I guess when something I said is
called "a Republican talking
point" I feel like I have just
been placed in a box. 
I am my own person and I
think for myself. 
I wish we could all just
listen to each other
without putting labels on
each other.  Whether a Republican, Democrat, 
rich, not rich, etc., I would
love a candidate who bridges
and does not divide or
demonize whole groups of people.   
I will vote for the Democrat
running against that person and
I feel Bloomberg could take him on.
I have seen him share that he
regrets the frisk law. It does
sound like you have more
personal experience in working
with him so I hear ya.

Coyote, TriciaCT and Lenor liked
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Registered
12/03/2019 7:22 pm  

@coyote

I’m neutral on Bloomberg, too.  Now, if he would buy Fox News and shut it down, then I might work up some enthusiasm.  Warren and Buttigieg are my favorite candidates, but I will vote for anyone who is not a Republican.  Except Tulsi.  I loathe her.

kksali, herondreams, TriciaCT and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Admin
12/03/2019 9:02 pm  

@bluebelle

What a great idea.  He doesn't have to shut FOX down. He just has to hire good journalists and turn the tone towards truth and upholding democracy, not kleptocracy or corporate news. That would be so good.  

Isabelle, herondreams, TriciaCT and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@kimskorner)
Registered
12/03/2019 9:32 pm  

@jeanne-mayell

I so agree with this!!!! Wouldn't that be awesome!!!

TriciaCT, Lenor, Jessi1978 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@penelopefp)
Registered
12/04/2019 11:00 pm  

@song4jazz

I’m a former New Yorker and have close friends in the city who are lukewarm on Bloomberg. I used to feel the same till I read “Vanishing New York,” by Jeremiah Moss, a scathing indictment of Giuliani and Bloomberg. NYC, especially Manhattan and much of Brooklyn, is for billionaires. No longer artist friendly in any way. Severe housing crisis except for super rich. Manhattan is like a theme park. See especially the hideous Hudson Yards. Bloomberg actually said out loud he wanted Russian oligarchs to flood into the city. If you like income disparity, Bloomberg is your guy. The current destruction of the skyline is due to Bloomberg. You can barely see the Empire State bldg. and those skinny, bland towers are mainly empty! Investment property bought by saudis and Chinese. Not in a million years would Bloomberg, if nominated, pick Elizabeth Warren (nor would she ever accept!). She is the reason Bloomberg got in the race. The fat cats are terrified of her.

Lenor, seaturtle26, TriciaCT and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Registered
12/05/2019 12:27 pm  

Did you hear H. Clinton is thinking of entering the race. I so hope not. Even though I voted for her, she wasn't my first choice.

ReplyQuote
(@jessi1978)
Registered
12/05/2019 1:26 pm  

@elaineg

Oh dear god no!!! T would love that. 

TriciaCT and Lenor liked
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Registered
12/17/2019 8:05 pm  

@jaidy

I live in NYC too and I remember Bloomberg well. Yes, he is a billionaire but a SELF MADE one through smarts, resourcefulness and hard work.... unlike Drumpf who was financially propped up for years by his amoral father and -- who knows -- may now be financially propped up by Putin & Co. Yes, Bloomberg made some missteps: "Stop & Frisk" and the "Soda Tax", etc.... but he also did a lot of good: He is a committed,  very generous philanthropist, he turned NYC's $ 6 billion deficit into a $ 3 billion surplus -- although he did increase property taxes while doing so and was very favorable to upscale development. He was focused on balancing budgets but also had a heart; he is Pro-Trade, Anti Protectionism, very pro public health and welfare instituting a smoking ban in public places... and has publicly expressed concern numerous times about his dismay regarding poverty and the growing income gap  in NYC (and this country) between the rich and poor. I don't see him ever trying to reduce/eliminate Medicaid or Social Benefits like our current Moron is trying to do.  He is greatly respected by the elites in NYC for his generous philanthropy, his intelligence and his decency/integrity  (whereas the Orange Moron was rejected years ago by NYC elites as being vulgar, dumb and un-philanthropic).  Is he a bit "paternalistic"? Yes, maybe so.  A homosexual? I never heard that, nor would I care in the slightest if it were true.  One thing he would NOT do is further blow up our nation's deficit by a trillion dollars which has happened under the Orange Dolt. Finances would be handled intelligently and prudently. He is quite articulate and low-key sophisticated, has alot of integrity & common sense...and would help us recover from the public humilation of having a Moron in the WH in terms of international prestige. He is certainly pro NATO,  is law abiding and respects the Constitution...hell, I think he'd be a fabulous POTUS. OK, so he's not terribly witty or entertaining. Frankly, after the endless ludicrous Reality Show of this current administration, I'd take "Boring but Substantial and Even-Keeled" any day.  I pray that Bloomberg becomes the nominee and wins.  I like Warren, Mayor Pete and Sanders, etc. but I don't see them as being strong enough to win over Drumpf.  Also, with Drumpf babbling gibberish constantly, Bloomberg ( a calm master of facts, figures and reasoned common sense) would give Drumpf a pounding in the debates.

Lenor, TriciaCT, Jessi1978 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Registered
12/17/2019 8:15 pm  

One more thing:  Through Bloomberg Philanthropies, he is very committed to the Arts & Culture scene globally, as well.

Look, let's get real here: He may not be perfect but he offers a tremendous amount:  Sanity, real Business Smarts, Dignity, a self-made Success, a focus on Trade, strong Allies and reducing our nation's spiraling Debt --  and possesses a calm and common sense personality.  Can you imagine NO RAGE TWEETING???  He'd never be one to trade  (terrifying) infantile barbs with "Little Rocketman" nor try to de-stabilize the Western Alliance.  Putin would have met his match in Bloomberg who cannot be compromised nor used as a puppet.  Most importantly, we need a Candidate who can WIN and put Drumpf in our rearview mirror.  Just hope the fact that he is  Jewish won't be a problem with Middle America -- after all Obama got in twice and the country was thrilled.  Biden I like but he sounds befuddled and weary half the time.  I think his time is done.

Lenor and Jessi1978 liked
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Registered
12/17/2019 11:36 pm  

I think Bloomberg's best use of his money is spending big for Democratic Senate candidates in states where Republicans are strong. I'd say throw his money behind one of the Presidential candidates but I don't know who that would be. I would be more comfortable about the future if I thought there was a candidate who could win. We have a few who would be great on the ticket as Vice President, but that's it, as far as I'm concerned.

Lenor and Lilinoe liked
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
Registered
12/17/2019 11:57 pm  

@isabelle

Bluebelle suggested that Bloomberg should just buy Faux News, and give them all the door.  I would vote for *that*.    There are plenty of fun, creative things a person could do with all that useless cash just laying around.  Anyone else have any suggestions as to what it could be spent on, before democracy and the ecology collapse?

raindrop, Lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@five81993)
Registered
12/28/2019 12:09 pm  

The predictions don't quite seem to have a consensus on who the Dem nominee will be--is that because the collective is still kicking the tires of the many candidates they have to chose from? Different ones rise and fall....my personal favorite, Bernie, is a bit like the tortoise chugging along and getting no respect till maybe now--

Zorons (OCT 24 2017) prediction about Bernie is starting to look more and more interesting.

https://truthout.org/articles/sanders-polling-surge-forces-democratic-establishment-to-take-him-seriously/

“Sen. Bernie Sanders’ recent surge in national and early-state polls, enthusiastic progressive base, and resilience in the aftermath of his heart attack have reportedly forced some within the Democratic establishment who were previously dismissive of the Vermont senator to concede — both in private and in public — that he could ultimately run away with the party’s presidential nomination.”

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Admin
12/28/2019 9:10 pm  

@five81993  Glad to see you posting and thank you for your insights. No we don't have a consensus. I don't think it is decided yet. 

I believe the reason we can't see who is going to win is because our very survival is in the mix because of climate change.  It will be a fight to the end. This doesn't mean that I feel we are doomed if the right candidates don't make it. There still will be hope. There will still be state and local effort, light workers, and other countries. We also have 2025 to play out.  But since Ronald Reagan took the solar panels off the White House, we have crashed through many gates towards extinction, and we are now sitting on the edge of Niagara Falls with the current at our backs. 

So who are the candidates who can give us the paradigm shift we need to win sustainability?  I have been rooting for Warren and Sanders, have wanted to see them as a ticket since 2015.  I love that Zoron saw them together in 2020.  But I'm open to others if they don't make it. Even Bloomberg may have the money to push sustainability through in this country.  

No, we don't have a consensus in our predictions because it is not decided yet. There is too much at stake. 

Lenor, TriciaCT, Unk p and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@five81993)
Registered
01/13/2020 2:40 pm  

Just following up on my favorite prediction on this site, the one where Zoron predicted a Sanders/Warren Democratic ticket for 2020. This is a December 16, 2019 article in Politico speculating on what a Sanders administration might include. It’s called—

What Would the Bernie Presidency Really Look Like?

‘It could happen, really. Vice President Warren is being considered, and plans are in the works to de-Trumpify immigration and climate. Much less likely: Medicare for All.’

Here’s a quote: “When it comes to the vice presidency, nearly everyone around him believes that if he became the Democratic nominee, a likely choice would be Warren, his friend and ideological bedfellow. It is not a lock. But according to at least two people close to Sanders’ campaign, she would likely have the right of first refusal.

Sanders nodded in this direction on The Intercept’s “Deconstructed” podcast last month. When asked about the prospect of sharing a ticket with Warren, Sanders himself said, “If I am fortunate enough to become president, I would look absolutely to Elizabeth Warren as somebody who would play a very, very important role in everything that we’re doing.”

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2019/12/16/bernie-sanders-first-100-days-president-white-house-administration-084447

PS Zoron’s predictions and Jeanne's are on a thread called Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren Things Are Stirring, under US Predictions. You have to dig a little to find it. His first post is 10/24/17. Both Zoron and Jeanne comment here and it's a fascinating read. 

Laura F. and Lenor liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: