Notifications
Clear all

John McCain

LB
(@lb)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Today, John McCain was incredibly soft on Jeff Sessions with questions pertaining to the Trump Administration and Russia hacking the U.S. election. Previously, the most he has done on the subject is furrow his brow and state that he was "concerned" about the matter. Perhaps the fact that his wife is now employed by the Trump Administration has something to do with that?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/337530-cindy-mccain-to-get-role-in-trump-state-department-report

ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

John McCain must not had a stroke, since he hasn't missed any air time with the senate hearings.

ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

I have to respectfully disagree LB. While McCain didn't have an incendiary exchange with Sessions, his questions blew Session's excuses for meeting with the Russians out of the water. Sessions lied in his confirmation hearings about meeting with Russians, and then again on his security clearance forms. His claim is that his meetings with the Russians were in an official capacity from his being on the Armed Services Committee, so he thought they were exempt from reporting. McCain is the chair of the AS Committee (which is why McCain had an invitation to sit in on the Intelligence Committee hearings when he's not a member). McCain asked Sessions questions about the areas of concerns that the Armed Services Committee has with Russia. Sessions was under oath. McCain got Sessions to admit that he hadn't discussed anything that was of concern to the AS Committee in his meetings with Kislyak, with the exception of Russia's interference with Ukraine. When Sessions gave this one affirmative answer, McCain got it on the record that he was surprised, as Sessions never showed concern about this issue when he actually served on the committee. McCain showed that Session's alibi citing he was doing the business of the AS Committee was bogus, thus leaving everyone to ask, if he wasn't discussing AS Committee business, what were they talking about? 

Edit: I guess I spoke a little too soon. LOL I just found this article in the Guardian, where a Russian lobbyist is noted as having attended dinners that Sessions hosted. There's also a note that this contradicts Sessions answer to McCain's question of whether Sessions had any other meetings with Russian lobbyists, businessmen, etc.  Lobbyist for Russian interests says he attended dinners hosted by Sessions

Jeanne Mayell, KB, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 LB
(@lb)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Cindy.

Of course we are always free to disagree with one another. That's America. :)

My point is that that McCain has thus far never taken a stand (in action) regarding TrumpRussia and that his wife now works for the Trump Administration. In my post, his questioning Sessions is secondary to those two facts..

Sorry I was not clear.

ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

Gotcha! I'm also no fan of the fact that McCain is a guest on these panels and he keeps interrupting Ms. Harris. Misogyny on full display. I'm also no fan of the fact that this administration is using the spouses of many to keep their counterparts on the Trump train. It certainly would take longer for some to withdraw their support when their spouse's job would be impacted as well. 

LB and LB reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: