@laura-f

? ? 

PamP, LalaBella, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

@laura-f

Hahahahagaha! Is there any language you dont speak.  I know you are fluent in several and seem to have book or look knowledge in many. Fess up multi-talented. Or like many singers especially operatic,  they know enough languages to sing in them! So, are you operatic or situational or learnéd?

lenor, PamP, Laynara and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

PamP and PamP reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@michele-b

I grew up with multilingual grandparents and I believe that my lifelong fascination with language/communication led me to several of the paths I have taken: translator, language therapist, educator, actor.

Some of the languages are situational - I'm fluent in English, Italian and Spanish. I can understand/read 90% of French and Portuguese but I speak French poorly and can only say a few things in Portuguese. I can also understand/read a bit of German and Dutch. As for Arabic, I only know a couple of words that are widely used, In'sh'allah being one of them. As for learned - I have always wanted to learn Japanese, so I've taken a few classes, but it's difficult, and I operate on an  infantile level (like a 1 year old Japanese baby), I can understand and say very basic phrases, I can read a very few words, but can't really write it (those kanji are killers!). And I'm currently taking private Zoom French lessons with a teacher who I really like, my biggest hurdle is the pronunciations - I speak French with a Spanish accent, apparently...LOL

I can sing in any language as long as it's presented phonetically (I can read IPA - International Phonetic Alphabet and it helps to have a translation), so in addition to the above languages, I have sung in Swahili, Zulu, Russian, Hungarian, Hebrew, Romanian, Mandarin Chinese, Latin, Czech, Greek.

ghandigirl, villager, Laynara and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@deetoo

LMAO - YES!!

PamP and PamP reacted
ReplyQuote
(@share)
Famed Member Registered

@laura-f hopefully one day you will send us a video of you singing.  

share the love and light 

lenor, PamP, lenor and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@share

If you go on Facebook, look for our band - Flat Mars Society Band - and find the video of us rehearsing "Box Truck". I'm totally singing on that!

Stargazer, Shawn, lenor and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@laura-f

Boy did I get you to a "t". Unbelievable woman!!!!!! Amazing amazing amazing.  I bow to the linguist goddess of almost all.

lenor, PamP, LalaBella and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@laura-f

I looked up that band several weeks ago as i thought i knew your last name. I asked Jeanne if i was right and she side stepped and wouldn't confirm.  I even spelled it .?

Toe Tapping music and very nice voices including yours! What great fun! What an interesting life you have had!! ?

LalaBella, lenor, PamP and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@share)
Famed Member Registered

@laura-f wow I love the music; incredibly talented.  

share the love and light 

LalaBella, lenor, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Portland bans police from working with federal law enforcement, targeting journalists and legal observers during protests - oregonlive.com

"Portland will immediately ban all police bureau members from cooperating with federal law enforcement or intentionally using force on or arresting journalists and legal observers, under new policies the City Council passed Wednesday."

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/07/portland-bans-police-from-working-with-federal-law-enforcement-targeting-journalists-and-legal-observers-during-protests.html

Grace, TriciaCT, Vesta and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Trump Wants to Label Antifa a Terrorist Organization. What About White Supremacists?

"But now the administration has a new bogeyman on which to focus its talk of terrorism. On May 31, U.S. President Donald Trump announced he would begin executive legislation to list antifa as a domestic terrorist group. Antifa, shorthand for “anti-fascist,” is a left-wing organization comprising various autonomous groups seeking a common goal—to protect Black people from white terrorism. The group has been accused of committing property damage during protests, particularly at demonstrations against George Floyd’s killing, although there is scant evidence to support that. If antifa is designated as a terrorist group, the U.S. military can be used against it."

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/20/trump-antifa-terrorist-organization-kkk-white-supremacy/

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@michele-b Except that Antifa doesn't exist as an organization, so what they are really saying is that anyone opposed to fascism is the enemy.  Like my Grandfather who fought the Nazis in WW2.

Isabelle, DianaMarieC, villager and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@unk-p

It's a conundrum isn't it?

I think it's one of those weird elephant in the room things.

You know those storm trooping elephants in non-official uniforms portraying Homeland Security buffoons.  

Nothing has to be real when its in Trump's imagination to blame. Once they're in a law suit for example, might not that make them legally real? Not quite sure who they'd call into the courtroom though.

Bravo to your grandfather. He fought really enemies but look how people deny that all was real or ever happened.

I have a feeling the world really is flat because we'll all be over the edge with this craziness pretty soon!

villager, TriciaCT, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Mayor of Ted Wheeler Portland, Ore. was tear gassed by federal agents/"storm troopers" while marching with Portland protesters last night.

"He didn’t leave his spot at the front, however, and continued to take gas. Around Wheeler, the protest raged, with demonstrators lighting a large fire in the space between the fence and the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse and the pop-pop-pop of federal agents deploying tear gas and stun grenades into the crowd."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mayor-of-portland-oregon-tear-gassed-by-federal-agents-2020-07-23

TriciaCT, Unk p, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 PamP
(@pamp)
Famed Member Registered

Now here's a distraction. I don't quite know what to make of this. UFOs. And possibly the US is in possession of an off-world vehicles. I keep saying to myself "I want to believe, Mulder, but..." What do y'all think? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/us/politics/pentagon-ufo-harry-reid-navy.html

Unk p, Laynara, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@pamp that sounds interesting, but NYT only allows a few free articles.  And this month is almost over, so some of us can't read anything there until August.  Can you tell us a little about what it said?

PamP and PamP reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

'Wall of Vets' joins 'Wall of Moms' in Portland during protests.

Short video showing more protesters are getting organized, banding together.

Now it's Veteran's.  Love the glow sticks I must admit!

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2020/07/25/wall-vets-join-wall-moms-portland-protests/5510387002/

LalaBella, JourneyWithMe2, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Mayor Ted Wheeler has hardly been the only person subjected to the federal government’s violence.

When a federal law enforcement officer hit a Portland history professor in the head with an impact munition, she said she refused to let it stop her or to divert attention from Black people killed every day because of police brutality.

Maureen Healy, chairwoman of the history department at Lewis & Clark College, marched Monday with other protesters singing songs and chants and listing the names of Black people killed at the hands of police, just as she has done most nights since June, she said in a statement released on Twitter Wednesday.

Trump Militiamember shoots Portland professor in head, subjects mayor to tear gas | GEOFFREY'S INNER CIRCLE

http://geoffreyslive.com/news/trump-militiamember-shoots-portland-professor-in-head-subjects-mayor-to-tear-gas/

I really wanted to post Professor Healy's entire article but it is quite long. If you are on Twitter or Facebook you can do a search on her name.

LalaBella, Unk p, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: