Clear all

Celebrating 4th of July out of habit prediction

8 Posts
4 Users
16 Likes
(@practicalnihilist)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter  

A while ago I was reading the month-by-month predictions for 2017 and noted that the 4th of july will be celebrated out of habit in this text: July 4th celebrations will take on new meaning. Flags waved out of habit, but with no passion or meaning.  Some not at all.

Well I found this link  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/04/america-4th-of-july-donald-trump-progress  saying that americans are in no celebratory mood.  Pretty interesting in how the prediction is pretty accurate!

Dianne and Dianne reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Practical N.  -- Thanks for finding the hit.  Good for Melissa F who got it right.  

The Guardian article you referenced also  had an interesting perspective on the widespread political discontent of Americans.  They pointed out that in spite of the fact that 60% of Americans are unhappy with the government, by all practical standards, most Americans, and also most people around the world, are much better off before than ever in terms of health, longevity, nourishment, security, stability, and housing.   Their point is that people feel poorer than they actually are, compared to the past.  

But the authors did not point to other reasons people are unhappy with government right now.   For example, the direction we see things going with climate and the Republican leadership's desire to roll back Constitutional rights and social benefits while stepping up war and making the rich even more rich and powerful.  Also people are dismayed at the low moral character of our leadership. And not just the president. There is the Republican Congress's increasingly shocking silence and unwillingness to act at the evidence that our president and his team are puppets for Vladmir Putin.  

So much of the gain in individual prosperity over the past fifty years came from past leaders, not the current leadership. Franklin Roosevelt, Lindon Johnson, Barack Obama all passed legislation that increased social benefits to the poor, middle class, elderly and disabled.  Reagan made the rich richer and ran a hate campaign against the poor.  George W. Bush got us into a senseless, immoral and costly war, drove the deficit out of the ball park.  And Donald Trump needs no explanation.  

People see that the current leadership, if allowed to get what they want, would roll back the gains of the past.  Finally, the discontent in our country comes from what we see in the moral character of our leaders, particularly the president, of whom half the country is ashamed. Trump's behavior has many of us hanging our heads in the eyes of the world.

Still, I love my country.  Whenever I drive back to the U.S. from Canada, (a country I also love), my heart swells with love and pride as I breeze south on Route 89 into Vermont.  I notice the clean well maintained highway and the incredible view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. I think of family and friends. Yay I'm home!   

But these days, the American flag doesn't feel good to me. 

A while back, the GOP incorporated the flag and the concept of patriotism  into their brand. I’m certain it was a conscious choice by GOP political consultants.  

They named the Iraq War bill, The Patriot Act.  They have PACS called Americans for Prosperity and a think-tank called the Heritage Foundation. In my town, Republicans like to hang the American flag year round on their front steps. 

Brands work both ways. The GOP wants people to associate their party with the American flag and patriotism.  But now the American flag and the concept of patriotism are beginning to feel like the GOP.  The flag now is tinged with militarism, and since Trump, with authoritarianism.  

Yesterday while watering my vegetables, the sweet peace of the garden was broken by the deafening scream of fighter jets blowing by overhead. They were likely on their way to a July 4th performance.  I used to love those guys.  Yesterday I found the noise irritating. 

I look forward to the day when I will love the flag and July 4th again. 

Melissa, diana11, Lola and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@practicalnihilist)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Well said Jeanne!  Yes this republican idea of patriotism is really a form of military might and control.  It will be interesting to see how United States evolves in the next several years.

ReplyQuote
(@frannie)
Trusted Member Registered

diana11 and diana11 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Frannie, Thanks for finding another hit for our predictions. Laura, that was yours. Good job. It's too early to tell, but it might be unfolding into a blue month, (in contrast to May's red color). That would mean other hit, this one by I believe Brian.

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

OOh - which Laura? Is that me? Laura F? Because this would be my first hit :)

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Laura, Come to the July 26 prediction night (see link at top of prediction page or on events page).  You will get hits after a few tries and you will have a chance to practice that night.  -- Jeanne

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Jeanne, The bad news is I can't that night. The good news is it's because I am heavily involved in local resistance & reform efforts and have an event at the same time.

ReplyQuote
Share: