Brent Kavanaugh Sup...

Notifications
Clear all

Brent Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nominee

(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant
Topic starter  

Jeanne, I felt sorry for what you had went through. The #metoo movement is not only limited to the US, but is spreading worldwide. I know that in Japan there is a problem with groping in trains that there are women-only cars during the rush hour. In Korea, there is a widespread problem of people using their private cams in restrooms. I feel that men who did something inappropriate and were not prosecuted due to statute of limitations will feel ashamed of themselves and confess to save face. Women will allow them to under their own conditions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43721227 #metoo Japan

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43534074 #metoo Korea

Jeanne Mayell, mariad, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mariad)
Trusted Member Registered

I am touched by the difficult stories being shared here by survivors of sexual assault and know how painful it is to speak up.  When I was 18 (more than 50 years ago) I went on a blind date arranged by a friend, who said my date was a "good guy who had just moved to our small town".  Well, my date was not a good guy; after seeing a movie, he drove me to a rural location where he parked; then he beat and raped me.  No, I did not report the rape to anyone.  But two months later I realized I was pregnant (yes, it only takes ONE time) and had to tell my mother.  I traveled thousands of miles by bus (first trip I ever made out of my home state), had the baby (a little boy I named Christopher) and surrendered him for adoption to a family who could give him the life I could not.  I've never had any contact with him and simply pray every day that he is happy and has a good life.  As for the man who raped me, he went on to attack other young women and it was known in our small town; so he moved repeatedly to other nearby small towns and did it over and over.  Sexual predators are serial predators.  My family knows my story, but I do not talk about it.  This post is the only time I have ever shared it outside my family.  Thank you Jeanne for this blog and the work you do; and thank you to all who post here.  This site has saved my sanity over the past 2 years.  Whatever happens with Kavanaugh's nomination, I believe that justice will ultimately prevail and a better future is possible.  However, we have to fight for that better future and it will take courage such as Christine Blasey Ford is exhibiting today.  I applaud her bravery and all who are sharing their stories.  ME TOO!

Jeanne Mayell, Bee, Unk p and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@paul-w)
Noble Member Registered

This is becoming a watershed moment in our history. (And I am ashamed for my gender - my mother raised me better.)

Bee, Unk p, VestraLux and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
Illustrious Member Registered

I just saw that a woman approached Lindsey Graham in the hall and stated to him that she had been raped in the past. His response was "I'm sorry. Tell the cops."

As sick and disgusting as that response is, to me it sounds like the callous last stand of a man bitter at the world because his beloved patriarchal society is crumbling before him. 

SDJ, Unk p, mariad and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Baba
(@baba)
Illustrious Member Moderator

I watched part of Dr. Ford’s testimony and felt intense sadness. I then made the mistake of watching part of  Kavanaugh giving his opening statement. I sensed extreme rage coming from him and my head started to hurt. I don’t think this is going to end well for him. As the comment above by Lindsey Graham showed, the R’s are angry and starting to lash out and panic. I had to turn off the tv and am going to have to detox from this. It is truly toxic.

SDJ, Bee, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

He is VERY an angry indeed Baba and many Republicans are as well.  

I graduated high school only one year before he did.  I am sick and tired of him justifying drinking beer and being drunk as normal.  You know what?  I knew many people who drank and did drugs at my high school but I chose not too.  Your choices even in high school can come back to bite you 35 years years later. I hope our youth at least can take that away from this hearing.  

He is angry.  He is whiny.  He is antagonistic.  He acts entitled.  He has nerve  in asking senators questions back which they have asked him  .  Very disrespectful.  

Also, why would you expect to be heard at a hearing the day after accusations have been made against you?  That is quite presumptuous of you.  Wouldn't you expected both sides be prepared to hear you out?  

He will make a horrible SC Justice.  Horrible!  He is acting like an entitled Juvenal punk.

SDJ, Baba, Bee and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Oh and saying the "Revenge of the Clinton's" and "You People".  So political.  There is hate for the democrats, how can you be a good judge with that hate?

Marley, Unk p, RosieHeart and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

Hey MAS,   i believe Lyndsay Graham refuses do the right thing, under threat of being outed as gay, which is ironic, since homophobia is also a symptom of misogyny.                    Also, Lovendures, i want to say that plenty of folks get drunk, without turning into rapists. If anything, drinking just brings out whatever is already lurking under the surface of sobriety

TaG22, mariad, TaG22 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tag22)
Prominent Member Registered

My heart aches for all of you and the things that you have had to suffer in silence.  I am so sorry. I am so grateful we have a place like this to finally tell these stories. 

As a small child, a relative began molesting me while another watched. When I finally told my mom over 35 yrs later, she said, so what, his dad did the same to me and my sister when we were girls.  To make matters worse, I was often sent to stay with these relatives even though my mom knew they were perverts.  It was a double punch to the gut to find out how I had not been protected simply because this older relative was a leader in the church and a prominent businessman.  

At eleven, I was assaulted by an 18 yr old boy on the school bus my mom was driving for the Christian school I attended.  I moved away from him twice, but my mom yelled at me to stay seated.  Afterward at home, I could not stop shaking.  My mom jumped on me again for not staying seated on the bus and I finally was able to tell her briefly what happened.  She didn't say anything, but the principal pulled me out of class the next day to question me.  The boy disappeared from school and there was no mention of it ever again.

I was out of cell phone range most of the day and did not watch Dr. Ford testify.  However, I was praying for protection and strength for her all morning.  I had a horrible headache all morning.  My husband and I stumbled into a Lakota hoop dance about the time of the testimony. The dancer explained it was a dance for healing.  As she danced, I was overcome with tears.  I glanced at my macho husband, and he was tearing up too.  I thanked this young Lakota woman for such a timely, moving performance afterward.  We have seen the hoop dance many times, but have never been moved by it as we both were today.  My headache went away.  Later, as we were driving down the road, a red fox appeared along the highway, then bounded off into the woods.  Ever since I was a child, a red fox has shown up in my life everytime I needed comfort and reassurance that things would turn out okay.  It was very powerful.  Today is a turning point. A spark of healing ignited today. We are no longer suffering in the shadows.  There is strength in numbers.  We are speaking out and supporting each other finally.  And a big shout out to all the guys out there who know that supporting the women in their lives actually makes them more of a man, not less.  Like Paul W. said, your mamas definitely raised you right.

DentistaMom, Marley, Baba and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anita)
Noble Member Registered

It breaks my heart and infuriates me how your assault by a relative was minimized to nothing. It’s why I never said anything.

Watching today was so painful. And knowing Kavanaugh May very likely sit on the bench despite his out of control anger,

beligerince, and interrupting . I hope to God the predictions that he will not be confirmed are correct. I don’t trust my gut after

seeing this patriarchy get away with so much, esp. in Congress. Some of those Republicans were so angry at the Democrats.

Did they forget what they did to Merrick Garland. How I wish life was fair.

Anita

KB, TaG22, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Baba
(@baba)

Just two quick observations about Kavanaugh from before I gave up and turned off the tv. I mentioned that watching him made my head start hurting. It literally felt like the top of my head was on fire when he was raging during his statement. I watched briefly when the female prosecutor asked him directly if he did what he was accused of and noticed that while he said no very forcefully, he shook his head yes. If I’m not mistaken, that is a tell for when someone is dissembling. 

I don’t know what the end result will be, but I do know that everyone showed their true colors during this event whether they meant to or not.

Marley, SDJ, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

The American Bar Association just called on Judiciary Committee to halt the  Kavanaugh vote until an FBI investigation is completed.

WOW!

Jeanne Mayell, Marley, mariad and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant
Topic starter  

Does anyone see Kavanaugh get confirmed? I feel that he will but will only backfire.

ReplyQuote
(@vestralux)

Posted by: Enkasongwriter

Does anyone see Kavanaugh get confirmed? I feel that he will but will only backfire.

Up until this week, when I have looked, I was shown two lines of potential. In the first, Kavanaugh is not seated.

In the second, I could see his faint outline seated to the bench, but then very quickly being whisked out or disappearing from view. I took this to mean that if he were to be confirmed, it would not be to a lifetime appointment. It felt like he would either be impeached relatively swiftly, or ... well. Not there long. 

But last night and today, I no longer even see the second line. I don't feel he'll be confirmed. 

Caveat: I've certainly been wrong (hello Hillary), and I know I will be again. I don't mind that. I just really hope it doesn't have to be about this. 

mariad, Unk p, Anita and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vestralux)

Posted by: Lovendures

The American Bar Association just called on Judiciary Committee to halt the  Kavanaugh vote until an FBI investigation is completed.

WOW!

You know how the people who live in sports towns (Philly, Chicago, Dallas, etc.) collectively take to the streets the moment their team takes a championship? How total strangers hug and jump around and laugh and just generally lose their minds in victorious glee? This is the kind of news that makes me willing to do that. And it's not even the big "no" to his confirmation yet!

Which reminds me... I was in a restaurant/pub the evening Roy Moore lost the senate seat to Doug Jones in Alabama. I live in a bizarrely progressive enclave in the American South so when the owner announced Moore's defeat, everyone leaped to their feet, shouting and hugging. 

In all my political tarot readings, I keep seeing the Three of Cups, an imagine of women toasting and dancing in celebration. Millions of women and our allies protested in anger and grief on the event of Trump's inauguration. I cannot wait to witness the joy on their faces as they take to the streets to celebrate his ouster.   

Lovendures, mariad, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

My love and support to all of you. I have had so many bad experiences with men, I can't remember all of them, so here just a few highlights:

• Catcalls and jeers in the streets, and sexual harassment at work up until age 48.
  • Multiple kidnap attempts by single men or groups at ages 11, 14, 21.
  • Stalked by exes ages 17, 25, 29.
  • Sociopath ex-husband who threatened to kill me, age 24.
  • Men flashing me in public, ages 10-38.
  • Groped or had penis rubbed on me on public transportation, ages 12-40.
  • Strange men following me as I try to get home on city streets.
  • Groped by man my mother was dating, age 12.
  • Inappropriate breast exams by doctors - I can recall 3.
  • Unnecessarily painful or forceful pelvic exams by ObGyn (male doctor) - a few.
  • Being told it's "all in my head" when I had serious medical issues related to reproductive organs - at least a dozen (male and female docs).
  • Just last year, in a gay bar, a gay man who I did not know grabbed one of my breasts unprovoked and laughed.

I consider myself lucky that I was never actually raped or kidnapped, that I had enough speed, strength, or wit ( or profoundly foul mouth!) to escape when needed. What's not evident by the recounting of any of these stories by any of us, is the "death by a thousand cuts" nature of the trauma caused by these "small insults".  They accumulate. They make us sick.

I want to thank the males on here for their sensitivity. Lately I have found myself in arguments with males who post their #MeToo stories. I'm sorry for them for having had similar traumas, but co-opting the female-ness of this movement is akin to saying "All Lives Matter".

As for what I see when I meditate on this particular SCOTUS nomination, I see him confirmed, but I see tumult, maybe even rioting. I don't think he lasts but I think it's that he decides to resign and go to ground. I don't see anyone in government succeeding in any action to remove him.

Peace to all.

TriciaCT, Marley, SDJ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@runestoneone)
Noble Member Registered

I watched Ford on TV while working (one of the ways I earn my shekels is costuming...red Handmaids outfits are FLYING out of the shop) and felt great listening to the Dem Senators buck her up...Then Kavenaugh came on and I got a gut ache so bad I turned off the TV.

Definitely having flashbacks here. 2 spousal rapes, stepbrother  abuse, having boobs grabbed while riding the bus AND at work, being ejaculated on while studying at the Student Union UofM...being told 'women are physically, mentally, psychologically, and spiritually incapable of producing art in my Art 101 class UofM...Yeah, the last two years have been one long trigger, and the last 2 days worst of all. 

I did throw a reading a week ago, didn't want to post it as it showed Kavenaugh confirmed and a lot of money changing hands under the table...but the money is dirty and gets connected to crime somehow, which is 'outed.' Seems by Mueller, as he shows up as the Knight of Swords. The ultimate outcome for Kavenaugh is the 9 of Swords which is one bitchin' awful fate, and well deserved. Looks like he gets SCOTUS, then exposed as the rapin' liar he is and is pulled down.  His plot-arc I suspect may be a necessary component of baring the fungal underbelly of America to the sunlight.

LalaBella, Marley, mariad and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dentistamom)
Active Member Registered

I am new here, its my first time posting. I also am new to this “world”. Always having had what I thought was  just good intuition this past year has been different for me. I have received “numbers” (may not be saying that right) and have started to try tarot cards to understand more. I  haven’t read all the pages but wanted to comment.  

My Mom asked me to ask about Kavanaugh with my first set of cards about a month ago.  I got what I interpreted as a No on him being successful.  2 weeks later  I asked the cards again and got what I would say is a No.  Last night, after hearing, I asked once more and got a No. This time I asked to see 3-6s if he is not successful. I hung up the phone with my Mom at 10:50=6, checked phone for a message at 11:22=6 and got text at 11:40=6. So No.

I am a true beginner but wanted to report my findings.  Thanks and holding out hope! 

Lovendures, Bee, Marley and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Apparently the check cleared. Jeff Flake just released a statement that he will vote to confirm Kavanaugh

ReplyQuote
(@tag22)
Prominent Member Registered

I heard two messages in the shower this morning.  First, I very clearly heard, "He bet everything on red and lost it all." The red being the GOP, I think, with Kavanaugh spending his whole career pulling off dirty tricks for the Red.  I have been feeling he may lose his marriage, girls, and career in the end.

Then I heard, "They are going to need more rope." I think this might mean they may push this all the way before they hang themselves and it all comes crashing down.

SDJ, Marley, DentistaMom and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 15
Share: