Notifications
Clear all

Re-Opening, Albeit Differently than Before COVID-19  

RSS

(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
05/26/2020 6:14 pm  

Thought we might want a re-opening after (during) Covid thread.

While many states and cities have begun opening back up to some extent, especially shops and restaurants, I thought it would be interesting to follow  the other areas which are beginning to resurface.

Today the NHL announced how the remainder of the NFL season will be played.  Basically it will be playoffs rounds played somewhere on each side of the country.  Something tells me that people who have been missing spots, even if they are not regular Hockey fans, will be tuning in so that they can enjoy a live sporting event.

Today, Wall Street has opened back up in person with traders needing to sign a death waiver and wear masks.  Sounds great doesn't it?

CC21, Lenor, Tiger-n-Owl and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Estimable Member
05/26/2020 8:16 pm  

New York has soft-opened upstate and Westchester and the countries north of it. New York City and Long Island have yet to reopen. I feel that the downstate will open June the latest.

Seeing that phase two will happen next week, I feel that I may be able to pursue my master's studies on campus, albeit with sanitary standards. I would need to take the trains but would require to wear a mask, safety goggles, and gloves.

Lenor, Grace and BlueBelle liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
05/26/2020 8:27 pm  

@lovendures. I do not feel this opening will go well. The lessons have not been learned and we will likely see some new outbreaks.  It saddens me and reminds me of the foolish ignorance about climate change.  I have to keep telling myself that it is normal that people just aren't awake, that they can't see what I see and that is my life here on earth.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/12/coronavirus-update-us/

Ms. C., Jewels, CC21 and 11 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
05/26/2020 8:49 pm  

@jeanne-mayell, I totally agree with you about the re-opening. Ignorance and denial.  

Virginia Gov. Northam has just announced that Northern VA can begin reopening with Phase I this Friday, adding "just because you can open doesn’t mean that you have to open.”  (If you just heard a big, noisy blast, that was my head exploding.)

Meanwhile, this past Friday the coronavirus task force singled out Northern VA as having some of the worst infection rates in the country.  The raw numbers continued to climb over the Memorial Day weekend.  

Northam has now instituted a mandatory mask-wearing policy (until now it's been "recommended"), but he violated that policy over the weekend when he was photographed without a mask as he mingled with visitors in Virginia Beach.  He said he wasn't prepared because his mask was in the car.  Northam said he takes full responsibility for his actions and should be held accountable.  And this guy is a physician.

I have some annual doctor appointments that are overdue, but I have no idea when to schedule them.  My driver's license renewal is up in mid-July and I will have to go there for a vision test.  Right now the DMV is closed, but even if they do eventually open, there's no way in hell I'm going into that madhouse.  Even if they try to limit the number of people inside the DMV center and have people make appointments, I still think it won't be a safe environment.   And I'm concerned about my husband returning to work.  Right now he's working from home, but if he's forced to go in, he will be taking the subway.  He could drive and park in town, but his office building is so large that it houses 10,000 people.  Even though it will create some financial hardship, it might be time for an early retirement.  

Jewels, CC21, Lenor and 10 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Estimable Member
05/27/2020 10:41 am  

Update: Long Island soft-reopen today. NYC will soft-reopen by next of the following week.

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
05/27/2020 11:24 pm  

"Just because you can jump off the Brooklyn Bridge doesn't mean that you should." -- my grandmother

FEBbby23, Jessi1978, deetoo and 8 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jewels)
Eminent Member Registered
06/07/2020 3:44 pm  

Mental image this morning of people at a theme park gate being given pouches of sanitation wipes to use. Pouches are on a cord around the neck

ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Prominent Member Registered
06/08/2020 11:27 am  

@laura-f

Posted by: @laura-f

"Just because you can jump off the Brooklyn Bridge doesn't mean that you should."

Ha If I had a dime for every time my own mother said that to me!

Laura F. liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
06/08/2020 4:06 pm  

Costco will be opening its food court again this month and samples will be back, but differently.

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen/news/latest-news/2020/06/costcos-free-samples-will-return-bringing-jobs.html?page=all

Jewels liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
06/08/2020 4:48 pm  

@lovendures

Ew.

TriciaCT and Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
06/10/2020 8:04 pm  

Disneyland and California Adventure are re-opening on July 17th.  What will be different?  Well, there will be no parades and no character meet and greets though characters will be roaming.  Not sure what this means for Fantastic though that is a crowd gathering event like a parade.   The 17th is the 65th anniversary of the original opening oof the park.  

I had earlier heard that masks will be required.  If so, I bet Disney will be selling masks which will soon become collectors items in a way only Disney can make that happen.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/destinations/california/2020/06/10/disneyland-california-adventure-reopening-parks-july-17-anaheim/5338941002/

Grace liked
ReplyQuote
Share: