Points of Light During Covid-19

184 Posts
36 Users
1782 Likes
11.6 K Views
 Amyv
(@amyv)
Prominent Member Registered

@rowsella I am having the same internal sense, and it strikes me that you who work in a hospital feel that way as well. Feel very calm, very quiet, and love seeing the mostly empty streets. WE all know objectively that our world was heading for this breakdown but it is surprising how calm I feel, I am more sensitive than is ever easy to live with, sad at every death, horrified by the pictures of body bags, worry about the health care workers, and yet now feeling concerned but even optimistic. Thank you for describing it so well. I was on precautionary quarantine by my county when a day after my haircut my hairdresser tested positive and was sick. He has recuperated and is now willing to donate plasma to a patient. Good to know good people.

Heard a professor of Medicine and Ethics from the University of Minnesota Medical School this morning on MSNBC. He explicitly said that by the end of this, whenever that will be, the entire red state / blue state paradigm will be gone. And that the return to public living, really just coming out of mass public stay at home orders, must be phased by age groups, based upon averages of age and severity of illness. I feel grateful to be a New Yorker because our governor will not bow and scrape and send us all back outside because of greed or politics. 

Stargazer, Rowsella, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

3 hospitals in AZ are converting their cafeterias to mini grocery stores for hospital employees.

They will stock produce, dairy, household items, packaged meats and other items that are hard to find. Their hours are 6:30 am to 11:45 pm which is nice since many hospital workers miss the now reduced hours stores are currently open.  

https://kjzz.org/content/1523676/arizona-hospitals-open-site-grocery-stores-employees?fbclid=IwAR0147wfrEgfrfgTJC_qDgOiegPlObejtsb1TvBDFMLCrhmOS4WIcG62DAo

Grace, Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Wild animals are showing up in cities and towns.  Wild goats enjoying free reign in a Wales town, turtles hatching on a formerly crowded Brazil beach and buffalo roaming a street in India.  We are seeing the animal kingdom bounce back quickly when people give them space.

I enjoyed this video of goats running together around a Wales town, perched on garden walls eating shrubs, although I doubt the owners were happy. 

FEBbby23, Stargazer, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

I wasn't sure where to post this.  This morning I received the message "as the earth breathes, so shall we."   Since yesterday evening I've been feeling the earth BREATHING -- this gigantic inhale, and this long, deep, exhale.  An "A-h-h-h!"  As I feel the earth's life force, I also feel, in the midst of so much uncertainty and sadness, periods of peace and joy. 

The other message I got was "the Sacred Pause."  Perhaps my spirit guide was influenced by Cuomo, who often refers to the "New York Pause"!  So many in this community have shared about the return of wildlife, how bodies of water are clearer, the air is cleaner, etc.  As we're forced to slow down, I believe we SEE and FEEL that connection more, to all living things. 

Because our perceived separation is an illusion, I see that our lung capacity is directly related to the earth's lung capacity.  We are all connected -- all the peoples, plants, trees, wildlife -- everything.  When one can't breathe, everyone's ability to breathe is diminished. 

As the earth breathes, so shall we.  

kksali, TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell and 23 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@deetoo

So beautifully said Deetoo.  There is much wisdom and grace in your words.  

I love how you connected the earth breathing to our breathing.

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Illustrious Member Registered

@deetoo

Beautifully said deetoo ...?

Our exquisite Mother Earth is seeking balance again and can be forgiving ... in spite of all the human folly that seeks to destroy.

Living near an Alpine forest, I am aware of the trees as a collective living entity, that literally breathe and purify the atmosphere ... it is very comforting to attune to that sense of enduring peace, and of magic...

The once vast Rain Forests, the very lungs of our beleagured planet, could really use some serious help right now, with prayer and intention for dedicated restoration and blessings .....

Thank you for your sensitive insight deetoo ... it is much appreciated!

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

This really made me laugh!  Laughter is good.

When a woman in January 2020 meets her future self from 4 months into the now pandemic future.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDMs7capx4Cb8&v=Ms7capx4Cb8&feature=emb_rel_end

JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures. That Getty Art museum Project was the best!  People are so creative! 

TriciaCT, deetoo, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Excerpt from @perriwinkle10  (from Prayer List thread):  

I am the assistant band and drama director in a title one school as well! (And also a SPED teacher) ... I am so grateful we have zoom classes twice a week to check in and visit. These faces are why I teach! 

My heart breaks for our seniors and all of the memories they wont experience during this time - but another silver lining to being such a small school with limited funding - we're CRAFTY.

Our entire district staff held a parade on Monday, where we waved and honked and cried for THREE HOURS to every . single. neighborhood. in. our. valley.  There were so many cardboard signs being held by our students...our mission was to tell THEM we missed them, but they matched our heart feels and made sure we felt the love too. 

Mr. Rogers always said, "Look for helpers" - In this little town of mine, we are ALL the helpers. Young and old, no matter what, we find the silver lining and we remember to count our blessings. 

For all of you that are feeling discouraged and scared --- Look for the helpers, look for the people finding the good too. Stick with people that hold this kind of energy. I know things are pretty terrible - My mom is STILL recovering from COVID-19. - But it's important to hold that positive energy for our loved ones as well. Banish the worry, hold the positive and surround your loved ones with that light. (And yourself) We will get through this. Evolution is a mighty mother effer. 

JourneyWithMe2, kksali, BlueBelle and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

The number of hospitalizations in New York has been declining for the past few days.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8234741/New-York-coronavirus-deaths-decline-Gov-Cuomo-declares-state-past-peak.html

JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT, Pikake and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

A grandma becomes the 750th patient released from NYU Winthrop Hospital.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/21/nyc-grandma-is-750th-covid-19-patient-released-from-li-hospital/

JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT, Unk p and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

This is priceless. Kids are creating their own newspapers, cartoons, and more while under quarantine. Wonderful and hilarious: 

When coronavirus strikes,
kids make the news

The Takoma Neighborhood News

Joe (10) and Zaki (8) Rempell, Henry Olsen (10), Cooper (10), Chloe (9) and Peter (8) Hewett-Marx (10), Hadley (9) and Graham (8) Hannum

Takoma Park, Maryland

What other stories are you interested in covering?

Our next issue has an article about a tree falling during a storm and hitting our neighbor's house. We like writing the entertainment section. We want to write an article about nearby hiking trails.”

For more read here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/lifestyle/kidspost/kids-newspapers-coronavirus/?utm_campaign=wp_the_optimist&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_optimist

JourneyWithMe2, Pikake, Laynara and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

This is the coolest story I have read during the pandemic!

An ancient mill in Dorset, England has resumed producing flour for the first time in 50 years in response to a shortage during the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The Sturminster Newton Mill, which was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, ceased flour production in 1970 and became a historical museum, the BBC reports.

There is evidence of a mill being on the site since 1016 -- predating the Norman invasion -- and it was mentioned in the Domesday Book, a vast survey of life in Norman England ordered by William the Conqueror and published in 1086.
The current mill was built in 1556, a few years before Queen Elizabeth I took to the throne and more than 200 years before the United States Declaration of Independence. It was upgraded in 1904 according to CNN.

The mill has been open every summer to the public as a museum, where flour milling demonstrations occur. Visitors can even buy the flour made by the ancient machinery.

When the lockdown began, the mill had to be closed, a statement shared with Global News reads, but they made sure to ask if local businesses needed any flour.

“A couple of businesses responded, so the grain that would have seen us through the summer for demonstration purposes was milled and distributed.”

More local businesses began reaching out, and millers have been continuing to produce flour for them.

“This year we have got through the whole of that ton in two to three weeks and we’re still chasing more and more grain,” said the supervisor of the site. 

It takes the mill a day to produce 66 pounds (30 kilograms) of bread flour, and so far the team of volunteer millers have delivered more than two hundred 3.3-pound (1.5kg) bags of flour to local shops and bakeries.

There is a little more to the story with some wonderful pictures at the link below.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6878727/ancient-mill-flour-production-coronavirus/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/uk/english-mill-flour-resumes-production-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Points of Light-The Portrait of America:

The DIY Maskmakers who've made and donated our home sewn masks all over America.

Andrew Cuomo unveils a "portrait of America ".

During a press conference, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo unveils a wall of donated and home made masks from across America, and says, "this is what this country is about, and this is what Americans are about." And he adds this is a portrait "of love".

Cuomo unveils wall of donated masks, says 'this is what this country is about'
https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/cuomo-unveils-wall-of-donated-masks-says-this-is-what-this-country-is-about-82754629808

And now that San Franciso has banned the use of the N95 masks WITH valves that make the wearer more comfortable but do not protect others from them if they're sick as they are constantly exhaling OUT through that valve, it makes our DIY home made masks even more important than ever!

I personally have been making these non-stop along with hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of others all sewing isolated at home in our city of Salem Oregon.

We made 11,000 for Salem Health our hospital alone and we've been sewing every day ever since for every charitable group we hear of needing them for nursing homes, charitable agencies, meals on wheels, home health care workers. It's been endless sewing but so incredibly rewarding! 

Coronavirus: Officials warn some N95 masks not effective against spread - SFChronicle.com

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-Bay-Area-officials-warn-some-N95-15208241.php

TriciaCT, Unk p, Baba and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@perriwinkle10)

The heaviness from this heartbreak must be balanced with something lighthearted. Figured I’d share a little from this home. I am knee deep zooming all day with my high school students. As a teacher, it’s been very difficult to find a balance between my work kids and my own kids. My youngest daughter has resorted to writing me little messages when I’m in a zoom class. Yesterday, she scraped her foot on her bike pedal - which is a VERY dramatic and intense situation. *please note, said scratch is smaller than a dime* ??

1588385553-991622D2-179B-43C9-9EAC-F62B2ACBA16B.jpeg

JourneyWithMe2, SisterMoon, TriciaCT and 25 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@perriwinkle10

Haha!  That’s so funny.  We need these moments, don’t we?

JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@michele-b

Thats so wonderful and such a meaningful effort.  Good to hear from you.  Sending you much love.

ReplyQuote
(@perriwinkle10)

@bluebelle SO needed!!! I’ve been in such a foul mood this week over work - I needed my little bean to break the spell and that she did!

JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@michele-b

Michele, you are amazing!  11,000? That is simply beautiful and so loving.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

This is beautiful!  It fills my heart.

First responders who need to quarantine for 14 days will have a beautiful place to stay free of charge.  A Greek Orthodox retreat center in WI.

The project, called “Project Agape” (“love” in Greek), provides a beautiful, peaceful environment for first responders to quarantine to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 to family and loved ones.

The Retreat Center serves as an alternative to garages, vehicles or other extremely uncomfortable spaces that first responders have been choosing to quarantine in to avoid exposing their families.

“Loving one another is the essence of Christ’s teachings and offering the St. Iakovos Retreat Center to first responders is one small expression of gratitude to the professionals who continue to risk their own lives to care for and protect us all,” said His Eminence Metropolitan Nathanael of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago.

“We are truly blessed to have the ability to offer our facilities to our first responders and are humbled to call ourselves their servants.”

“Our Retreat Center staff is honored to open our doors to first responders and provide a comfortable and peaceful environment to wait out their quarantine period,” said Chrysanthy Tiggas, Director of the Retreat Center.

“Our staff will do everything possible to make our temporary guests feel at home and achieve peace of mind.”

https://usa.greekreporter.com/2020/05/06/greek-orthodox-ministry-offers-facility-to-quarantine-covid-19-first-responders/

JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23, herondreams and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 10
Share: