Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic (When posting new information, please cite sources)

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Here's a great way to track and view data, state by state, that shows case trends per capita:

https://projects.propublica.org/reopening-america/#956082

Stargazer, Lovendures, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Now that cities are slowly opening back up, the "old normal" is creeping back into the "new normal".

This happened in MY city tonight in a place where in the "old normal" times I might have been hanging out with my family, eating at a restaurant, watching a movie, seeing a concert or visiting with friends. Westgate is an entertainment district where the Arizona Cardinals stadium and Coyotes hockey arena are  located.  A person with what appears to be an AK-47 opened fire and shot 3 people, one is in critical condition.  

We may never know how many shootings were stopped because  the lock down paused  our nation during the pandemic.  Looks like someone just unpaused that button in my state.  

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale-breaking/2020/05/20/arizona-sen-quezada-multiple-people-shot-westgate-entertainment-district-glendale/5234085002/

2ndfdl, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures

It's heartbreaking. As more states emerge from the lockdowns, so will all that pent-up anger emerge like never before unfortunely.

Another side of the Plutonian manifestion, albeit the darkest one, and whether it's passive-aggressive or just plain aggressive insanity like that assault, it will all come out to surface... God have mercy on us all.

We can look forward to an abundance of light coming up though like never before and being regenerated and mirrored in a myriad of ways to dispell those dark shadows ....

???

Michele, lenor, Jeans3head and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@lovendures

Heartbreaking and crazy. There is such a giant disconnect in some people that cannot seem to recognize the concept of humanity or what it means to embrace being fully a loving and caring human.

I have an overwhelming urge to weep to know that in so many ways we do not learn, grow, or change inspite of all of our opportunities. 

I am so filled with sorrow that good, caring people with families they love cannot even enjoy the freedoms or pleasures of going out into the world and be part of it without these discordant and painful and angry and fearful happenings.

I know from our news it is happening again in other places near me, as well. I shake my head in disbelief at the patterns but oh how it hurts that it never seems to end.

The broken record is still stuck in time and the needle cannot jump to a new groove and begin a new song. Still stuck. Still broken. 

I am just so sorry it has happened again and really has never truly stopped at all.

So very sad.

(((Lovendures)))

Jeans3head, Unk p, Laynara and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@herondreams)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures How very sad. ? 

Laynara, deetoo, CDeanne and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

Oh we need a sad button! :-(  Domestic violence has been on the rise during the lockdowns also.

PamP, lenor, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@journeywithme2

I so agree about the sad button.  Am i have thought over and over for those literally trapped in the houses, apartments, and all other shelters with their abusers. 

Breaks my heart. I have heard far too many horrific stories from women you'd never dreamed who went home from nice, even prestigious jobs to home situations of absolute horror and abuse for theirselves and their children from abusers with access to young students as well. Made me sick then.

Now, i shudder to even think about how much of all kinds of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse continues without the escape or respite of outside lives the abused once had even for 8 hours a day.

Oh how i wish all of this could change in all ways on all sides both perpetrators and victims.

The better world i dream of always includes prayers for these above all others changes that need to come with top priority. Then adequate food, shelter etc.

But always please just may they all somehow have some moments of peace and someone in their lives that truly loves them,  so there is always hope and strength in their hearts with the manifestation of change always possible.

PamP, lenor, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@stargazer @herondreams @michele-b

Yes, it is very sad.  Who knows if the lock down helped manifest his feelings or if it prevented him from acting earlier.  

Very sad information is emerging from news accounts today.

Police say he went to Westgate and " intended on harming 10 people in an effort to 'gain some respect” because he felt he' had been bullied in his life."   Police arrived within 5 minutes and found and disarmed him quickly.  

Something else  I noticed, "picked up" upon.  There were accounts of employees baricading themselves in the stores they worked at, with lights out.  Police went door to door checking on people and making sure there were no other shooters, then told them to stay sheltered in place. It reminded me of school lockdowns.  I think school lockdowns have trained people for non-school active shooter situations. Locking a door, turning out the lights and hiding is what would happen in a school setting. Our kids who have grown up in a mass shooting world are now adults and they are taking the survival skills they have learned and applied them to their life situations. 

PamP, Michele, Laynara and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Curious.

Has anyone had to travel by plane and stay in a hotel at sometime during the last 2 months?  Especially in the past few weeks?  What is it like?  What are the challenges and surprises?  What went well?  I have a daughter who will be moving halfway across the country this summer  She will need to take a quick plane flight out  to find a place to live and to sign some paper work for a new job.  So any current information and thoughts would be welcome.

PamP, FEBbby23, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

Mayor de Blasio announced that NYC can start phase 1 of reopening in early- to mid-June. My grandma was able to buy groceries herself yesterday with the help of her caregiver who drove her.

PamP, lenor, Laynara and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Here is an interesting article about book selling  and publishing difficulties during our pandemic.  

A few years back I was anti large book stores like Barnes and Noble because they had wii[ed out the smaller independent booksellers.  In recent years however, I have worried about Barnes and Nobel because of Amazon.

During this pandemic I have purchased 3 novels, one for myself and 2 for my daughter through Barnes and Nobel, did curbside pick-up for what my local store had in stock and had the rest shipped to my home. In the shipment I also bought a 2,000 piece puzzle which our family successfully completed in a week.  

Every summer I support a small local bookstore in Colorado where we often vacation.  I don't know what the cards hold for us this summer, but I will see if I can still support them in some way.   

Who here has brought a book during the pandemic?  Was it for pleasure or for learning purposes?  Where did your make your purchase.

I should note that I also have about 6 books I have not yet read yet which need my attention from purchases I made over the past 2 years.  Time to do some reading.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-the-publishing-world-is-staying-afloat-during-the-pandemic_n_5ec431c9c5b69985547b5a5b

Michele, Grace, Laynara and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cdeanne)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures Like you, I once considered Barnes & Noble as mega-big and off-putting as Amazon, but now they are the only local and "small" bookstore (West L.A.) for miles and miles.  And so I have been buying books from them during the past couple months, picking them up curbside, as you have been.  The Last Bookstore, a cool and funky independent bookstore in downtown L.A., is set to re-open soon via curbside delivery, so as soon as I feel ok about venturing that far away from "staying at home" I'll be supporting them.  (I was supposed to leave yesterday for my annual month of hiking and biking in France, so I would have spent a couple hours today in one of my favorite little bookstores, Shakespeare & Company!)

I recently watched an interview with Daveed Diggs (Hamilton, upcoming Snowpiercer, etc.) and he turned me onto the idea of donating $$$ to Marcus Bookstore in Oakland, the oldest independent Black bookstore in the nation.

If you haven't already seen these two NYTimes articles, I think you'll enjoy them.  The first is "What Do Famous People's Bookshelves Reveal" (In quarantine people are inadvertently exposing their reading habits--embarassing, surprising, and impressive).  I'm clearly not the only one who's been paying as much, if not more, attention to scanning the books in the background of Zoom interviews than I have been to what's being discussed!  The second, "Celeste Ng, Ann Patchett, Min Jin Lee and Others on the Books That Bring Them Comfort" (Looking for a respite from the news?  You might find solace from reading), is also a fun source of new or re-newed book recommendations.

Enjoy!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/books/celebrity-bookshelves-tv-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/books/comfort-books-celeste-ng-ann-patchett-and-others-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

PamP, Grace, lenor and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@lovendures

Just seeing your post about the shooting. I know we all try to remain positive on here, but I grow more misanthropic by the day. I could do 2 more years of staying at home and not interacting in person with people I don't know with zero difficulty.

I agree many mass shootings were put on hold due to the lockdowns, but I worry about domestic abuse and wonder how many women and children are being murdered individually because they're trapped with their tormentors.

PamP, shan, lenor and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 gbs
(@gbs)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures

I've been trying to kick the Amazon habit by ordering from small bookstores. 

During quarentine, I've bought a birthday gift (and some books for myself) from Kitchen Arts and Letters, which is an absolutely wonderful shop in New York City devoted to cookbooks and all things food-related.

I bought another birthday gift from the Twig Book Shop in San Antonio, for a family member who lives there. And a gift certificate for a colleague, who did something really kind for me, from Omnivore Books in San Francisco, another shop focused on cookbooks.

I've also tried out bookshop.org, which distributes ten percent of its profits to indie bookstores.

I've had great experiences with all of them.

PamP, Grace, shan and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Noble Member Registered

I usually buy books from my local brick and motar store because it's cheaper to buy it there than buying online in my own personal experience, especially books from amazon were so overpriced from my area due to shipping.

Also they have great customer services and the bookshops were really nice places to hangout for the most part. Plus when browsing, you might accidentally stumble across books that you never know that existed and coxing you into buying it.

PamP, Michele, CDeanne and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

While on Twitter looking for COVID news, I saw that South America is the next hotbed for COVID infections.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200520-covid-19-coronavirus-deaths-latin-america-south-america-epidemic-brazil

PamP, Michele, PamP and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@dhyanaji

I understand your concern about a woman of color not being vetted yet, but hang tight it may happen. And if not, please understand that at this point in history it is more important to do whatever is necessary for Biden to win than it is to set new precedents. He is being smart. With Klobuchar or Whitmer he can flip those 80,000 votes that gave Twitler the extra electoral college votes in WI, MI and PA that got him in.

I love Stacey Abrams, but I think she could use a little more executive governing experience as she has none. I also love Kamala Harris, but many many people of color despise her, and Biden would risk losing their votes if he picks her. Susan Rice is too closely associated with Obama, which is a big enough hurdle for Biden himself, so she's not a great choice either. Val Demings suffers the same issue as Harris because she was police chief in Orlando.

And while she's not a POC, I love Liz Warren but all the flippable voters I know despise her, he would lose if he picks her, and frankly I'd rather see her as Secy of Treasury or Head of the Fed or even as Senate Majority Leader.

PamP, shan, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@starpath)
Noble Member Registered

I was given a brief vision this morning and I think at least part of it relates to the pandemic.  The first image was of what looked to me like a mound or hill quickly flattening.  The second image was a large ball made out of very thick solid cord-like material.  Then the image was a large spider sort of falling on its back.  I think this means the virus is decreasing for some reason.  Maybe not permanently, but for a time the pandemic will be less deadly or spread less.  What I first took for a hill was probably a statistical curve like they show for the infection.  The ball of thick cord I think refers to something in my personal life. (like a ball of yarn--I am wanting to do more crocheting this weekend and yet I was worried it would aggravate my repetitive strain injury.  I guess I will do some crocheting anyway ? ).  The spider is how the virus appears in my dreams.  If it is weakening for some reason that is great.  I hope this is true sometime in the near future!  Before the visions I see clouds of different colored lights briefly.  Usually turquoise blue, green and indigo.

fmabon, michellepazicni, Grace and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lawrence)

@starpath

Great dream. NY State announced a break through this morning. Under 100 deaths at 84 for the first time. Cuomo said he was looking for this sort of number. I've also been focusing on this number. Very good sign.

BlueBelle, LalaBella, Shawn and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

@lawrence Seems like all of New York will be soft-opened by mid-June the latest. I feel that a second wave might not happen if people are still afraid of going out unless they social distance and wear masks.

TriciaCT, Shawn, Lawrence and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 81 / 173
Share: