Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic (When posting new information, please cite sources)

3,444 Posts
150 Users
38179 Likes
211.4 K Views
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mcance. I know a group of people who also feel they had it back in late January, dry cough, fever, body aches, and difficulty getting enough air.  

LalaBella, deetoo, Lawrence and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

NIH begins study to quantify undetected cases of coronavirus infection

“Colorized scanning electron micrograph of an apoptotic cell (blue) infected with SARS-COV-2 virus particles (yellow), isolated from a patient sample. Image captured at the NIAID Integrated Research Facility (IRF) in Fort Detrick, Maryland. NIAID

A new study has begun recruiting at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, to determine how many adults in the United States without a confirmed history of infection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), have antibodies to the virus. The presence of antibodies in the blood indicates a prior infection.”

They seek asymptomatic volunteers, info at link

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-begins-study-quantify-undetected-cases-coronavirus-infection

VestraLux, lenor, shan and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@jeanne-mayell and @mcance, My husband and I strongly suspect that we may have had it back in late December.  My hubby had a terrible time getting rid of the cough and exhaustion.  When I mentioned to my doctor's nurse about it, she agreed.  She said they had some patients in December with the same symptoms and couldn't figure out what it was.  For some it quickly turned into pneumonia.  

lenor, LalaBella, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

This story of the Washington Post is both terrible and beautiful.  They are following the first thousand COVID deaths and putting a human story to each one. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/12/coronavirus-first-1000-deaths/?arc404=true

VestraLux, lenor, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rowsella)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f

Many people are just not accustomed to wearing a mask. I am sure a great many don't own one. I don't think they are going around not wearing one necessarily as a statement. Not everyone is as plugged in as we are to news etc. I had a thought that wouldn't it be neat to have a supply of homemade masks and just hand one to someone that doesn't have one one and wish them well. They may wear it if they have it. I am kind of shocked they are not selling any kind of mask at these stores. I mean, they sell bags, they offer hand cleaner, they are wiping carts and cleaning cleaning cleaning... how about having a display of masks at the entrance? I have to put them on patients all the time and I have to tell you it was not even that long ago that people would get freaked out at seeing other patients in masks. I think when it is time for me to take a break from studying for statistics, I am going to make a bunch of masks for that purpose. I normally just wear the surgical ones from work if I have to stop on the way home.

lenor, Muriel, Coyote and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cyborgprincess)
Estimable Member Registered

If I had a mask I would for sure wear one when I went out in public. Can't find a lot of things around here though. I haven't seen disinfectant wipes in a month. What were people doing before all of this?

lenor, deetoo, Laynara and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@rowsella

I'm going to disagree with you. Plenty of people in my city are handing out masks, either handmade or out of boxes. The law is clear (and in my city it is law): if you don't have a mask, use a bandanna or scarf. These are just inconsiderate people, mostly under the age of 40, who probably don't have family nearby and don't care about strangers. In fact, our fire dept. has handed out masks to the homeless here, and most of them seem to be complying. As for not being plugged into news, sorry I don't believe that. There is a lag in news in our immigrant communities, but where I live is a pretty "upscale yuppy" neighborhood.

@Cyborgprincess

Some of us have always included N95 and surgical masks in our emergency kits - mostly in case of fire. I pulled mine out of our emergency kit, so it's not like I went to the store and bought a bunch to hoard. I see hoards of masks and cleaning supplies with 500% markups on both Amazon and Ebay. It's the greed mentality that has always persisted in this country, the constant idea that "I got mine, you snooze you lose, so too bad for you."

lenor, TriciaCT, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kateinpdx)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures

Thanks for putting up the shopping trends, that's interesting to see.

Based on what we are needing right now, I think bandannas and scarves may be in demand. 

And I think @deetoo is right about the gardening supplies. We just bought a Garden Tower and they have said they have more demand since their first year in business. 

As an aside, I'm a coloring book author and coloring books for grownups are selling very well right now, (for which I'm very grateful). I think that will likely continue until we are out of quarantine. 

Also, I'm wondering if we will see masks show up in fashion and clothing. It wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if this ends up being something that reemerges. I'm sure someone wants to make prettier, more functional masks with their branding on it. 

lenor, Lovendures, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@practicalnihilist)
Honorable Member Registered

Posted by: @practicalnihilist

To clarify on my earlier post on stockpiling I don't see shortages of vegetables and fruits but meat will be in short supply. 

Just following up on my prediction I found this regarding meat shortages. 

www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/business/meat-plant-closures-smithfield/index.html

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

Regarding masks:  @rowsella, I'm also surprised that they aren't selling masks in grocery or drug stores. I think it's wonderful that you plan to make a bunch to hand out to people.

Like @laura-f, I have a few N95s and N99s from last summer, when my husband and I did some nasty cleanup work in our basement.  I've only used one of the N95's, when I saw my physical therapist two weeks ago.  I offered a few to some EMTs who came to my house a few weeks ago after I had a health scare.  Because we're seniors they told me to hold on to them stating, at that point, they still had a good warehouse supply.

@cyborgprincess, I don't own a sewing machine so I purchased a bunch of cloth masks from a few vendors on Etsy -- some with cute prints and solids.  Plus I am supporting small businesses that way.  There are a lot of people making them.  I've also gifted some of those to friends and family.  Since I wear glasses when I'm out, I purchased some cloth masks with pliable nose wire; those help to avoid fogging up your glasses. 

Of course if you do sew, you could make your own.  There are also no-sew patterns online.  Or as @laura-f mentioned, you could use a scarf or bandanna. 

@laura-f, I do see most people in Northern Virginia wearing masks.  I occasionally see a few who don't -- more younger but a few older -- which really irritates me.  It should be mandatory here in stores.  I have a friend who lives in a rural part of Virginia, about an hour's drive from me.  She wears a mask, but a lot of people there don't.  It's also a red part of the state, and many of the townspeople think it's an overblown, Democratic hoax to get rid of T, just like the flu, yada yada yada. 

@kateinpdx, I thought the same thing about masks showing up in fashion.  If fact I recently saw a news clip featuring some made-for-runway masks -- nothing most people would wear in real life.  Because I think wearing masks might become the new normal in our future, I can see the fashion industry making some $$ from them.

kateinpdx, so cool that you're a coloring book author!  I am an artist but sometimes use coloring books to calm me.  I just can't do the ones that are too intricately detailed -- that can stress me out! 

lenor, LalaBella, Cyborgprincess and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

In our state of CT you MUST wear a mask otherwise you don't get into the grocery store. Even if it's a scarf or bandana around your mouth/nose area that's ok. I bought two homemade masks on Ebay from someone for about $9 each.

lenor, LalaBella, Cyborgprincess and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@lawrence

That matches what I saw and received the other day so I'm going to hope we're all right about May being the point it starts to go down. Others here have felt a re-surge of the virus in September or October, did you happen to look at that too? Some have said it comes back stronger in the fall, but I feel it won't come back stronger. 

shan, lenor, Lawrence and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lawrence)

@triciact

Yes indeed.

It will return but won't come back stronger.

We'll also have a treatment by then.

shan, Pikake, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@triciact and @lawrence, I feel a resurgence in the fall.  The extent to which we will be affected in the fall will be determined by how well we prepare for it -- i.e. government response and citizens doing their part.  We need a Cuomo to knock some heads together -- like the Three Stooges' Mo, but with kindness and compassion.

shan, lenor, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@herondreams)
Famed Member Registered

My feeling is that things will be transitioning back to "normal" by June, so I am heartened to hear that others are predicting May. We had a few days with summer temps (including 89 degrees at the end of March!!) and when we get those first hot days my son and I like to go out for ice cream. I assured him that come summer we will be able to go. Right now I'm abstaining from ice cream altogether because it contributes to congestion and if I get sick, I want to help my body all I can. So for us "We will have ice cream soon enough" is a comforting thought.

I put normal in quotes because I sure hope we see huge shifts in society and that business as usual (rampant consumerism, predatory capitalism, and gross economic inequality) passes away. 

shan, lenor, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kksali)
Noble Member Registered

@deetoo. Mike DeWine Gov of Ohio together with Dr Amy Acton have done a great job as well.  Getting out early with closings , schools closed March 12 with all non essential shortly after. My workplace closed March 17.  It is working and compared to neighboring states MI , and PA numbers are way down.  Hospitals are not overwhelmed.  They do a daily presser that is authentic and calming . He is a Midwest version of  Cuomo - very different styles.  They are trying to figure out the most responsible way to slowly roll out openings next month.  I don’t know if it will happen that quickly but I feel confident they will do it based on science.   And there have been protestors at statehouse. - opposing Actons decision to keep people at home till at least May 3rd.  
He is a Republican!  I am not and did not vote for him.  Yet, very impressed with his handling here. 

shan, lenor, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@kksali, I saw Gov. DeWine on TV and was impressed as well. 

Larry Hogan, who is the Republican Governor of our neighboring state of Maryland, has also been doing a great job.   He has led the way for D.C. and Virginia (my state) to join with him.  Virginia's Governor Northam is a Democrat and has been quite responsive, but initially dragged his feet a little in some areas.  Surprising, especially since Northam is a physician.  I am a Democrat but would happily vote for Hogan if I lived in Maryland.

PamP, Stillnessnmind, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@deetoo - Let me guess - Front Royal or Winchester? I used to work at the hospital in Winchester - very conservative all around. It was one of many jobs I've had to eventually leave for not being Christian.

@lawrence @triciact

I agree it will come back in Fall, bit of a "blip" - I think it will be a faster "curve" but not as steep nor quite as deadly. Even so, it will come as a surprise to many.

Something I recently learned about viruses - they are not really living things. They straddle the worlds of animate and inanimate. Kinda like Schroedinger's cat. They are RNA packed protein molecules that just want to replicate and replicate. They're more like dandelion seeds and less like insects. This is why it's so hard to battle against them.  Food for thought...

PamP, shan, lenor and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@laura-f, Close enough -- Strasburg.  My friend is in her mid-70's, very progressive, psychically gifted.  She lived here but went back to care for an aging uncle, then after he died, stayed because living in  Shenandoah county is cheap, beautiful and peaceful.  Said that her neighbors are kind, will give you the shirts off their backs, BUT ...   That other piece drives her nuts.  She loves it when I visit, since there's no one there with whom she can really connect.  

shan, lenor, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mcance)
Reputable Member Registered

my intuition is telling me we are going to see some sort of announcement soon about a possible vaccine and i feel this one to be true i have friends who also work for johnson and johnson they are saying a vaccine could be possible by mid fall.  

lenor and lenor reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 65 / 173
Share: