Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic  

Page 63 / 66
  RSS

(@febbby23)
Estimable Member Registered
07/04/2020 1:36 pm  

@laura-f I agree.  The country may be burning and people are just infantile, selfish and rude.   I pray for them but it’s exhausting.   Hamilton was absolutely fantastic and honestly the first thing since March that made me forget everything and just enjoy the moment.   Really amazing.  Peace and happy 4th.  

Jeanne Mayell, Laura F., Laynara and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Estimable Member
07/04/2020 2:48 pm  

@jeanne-mayell @febbby23 Even Gov. Cuomo said not so fast.

Jeanne Mayell, Laura F., FEBbby23 and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Reputable Member Registered
07/04/2020 5:32 pm  

Our fearless leader has said we just have to learn to live with it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/we-need-live-it-white-house-readies-new-message-nation-n1232884

ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)
07/04/2020 6:56 pm  

@jeanne-mayell

This is powerful, Jeanne. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
Trusted Member Registered
07/05/2020 9:33 am  

I was wondering if anyone has feelings about what is going in Europe/rest of the world. Most countries are easing up on restrictions and opening up, but the kicker is that there are now groups protesting the rules like they did in Michigan etc. and want to 'live life as before, because it hurts the economy if we don't' aka away with ALL restrictions.

I cannot understand for the life of me why people call these rules 'doctrine by a tyrant of a government'. To me it is just common sense. What if everybody gets sick? Where is the economy then?

I know in the US this has a lot to do with politics, but that cannot be the case in all countries around the world... I am just flabbergasted with people I guess...

Ms. C., ghandigirl, tbs and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
07/05/2020 11:13 am  
Posted by: @moonbeam

I cannot understand for the life of me why people call these rules 'doctrine by a tyrant of a government'. To me it is just common sense. What if everybody gets sick? Where is the economy then?

I know in the US this has a lot to do with politics, but that cannot be the case in all countries around the world... I am just flabbergasted with people I guess...

Ultimately nature will set the rules because in places where people defy them there will be pandemic  tsunamis. People will suffer as they are now going to suffer in Florida, Georgia and Texas and then they will once again develop a respect for science and public health laws.  At least as it applies to pandemics. 

Laws that give power to public health entities were established after traumatic epidemics ravaged whole populations.  But then ignorant people like Donald Trump and his counterparts in other countries who don’t care to understand science or the history of government come along and force the public to crash and burn all over again, rather than benefit from past lessons.

It is human nature that we must reinvent the wheel every 80 to 100 years or so as those who learned the hard lessons die out and new generations arise who don’t bother to learn from history and science. They elect leaders who exploit ignorance, demonize science and the learned. 

So it goes.

The good news is that history shows that we will learn lessons from these mistakes and a respect for nature will return.  

Ms. C., BlueBelle, Lenor and 10 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
07/05/2020 11:38 am  

Thanks for your answer, Jeanne and of course very true. I am just so frustrated with civilians practicing civil disobedience because they 'do not agree'. These thugs put everybody else at risk.

I just hope we can all get through this without a 2nd wave. However, seeing that people cannot follow simple rules for a while, that is likely idle hope, I know;-(

Ms. C., Lenor, Share and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
07/05/2020 12:15 pm  
Posted by: @moonbeamI am just so frustrated with civilians practicing civil disobedience because they 'do not agree' and put everybody else at risk.

That is how I have felt for decades about climate deniers.  

Ms. C., BlueBelle, 2ndfdl and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)
07/05/2020 12:35 pm  

@jeanne-mayell as my husband and I always say nature is very smart but unforgiving.   It’s far past time for everyone to get a grip and wake up.  Sadly this snapshot of the entire world makes me sad.   What is that beautiful quote from Mother Theresa, people are selfish, love them anyway?    So hard.  I hope people will get it before it’s too late.  Thank God for this safe haven of beautiful souls.   Gives me hope.  ❤️☮️

Ms. C., CC21, Lenor and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
07/05/2020 2:23 pm  

@ Jeanne, oh absolutely. Let's not even get started on those!

ReplyQuote
 tbs
(@tbs)
Active Member Registered
07/05/2020 3:27 pm  

I was wondering if anyone has feelings about what is going in Europe/rest of the world. Most countries are easing up on restrictions and opening up, but the kicker is that there are now groups protesting the rules like they did in Michigan etc. and want to 'live life as before, because it hurts the economy if we don't' aka away with ALL restrictions.

Hi,

I live in The Netherlands, we had a Semi-Lockdown, so we had the shops open , although bigger chains decided to close the Stores ( H&M, IKEA). All public leisure things and Restaurants were closed, Events cancelled ( And still are until September). No Mask, only in Public Transport, but a 1,5 meter social distancing rule, Supermarkets and DIY were open, and the city dump. Which was crowded each day, people started to clean out the house, and reworked them. We had long rows in front of DIY stores (  Also because only a max number of people were allowed). And we needed to work from home, where possible. 

In stores they have now plastic protection shields at the cashiers, and you need to use one shopping card per person. Also they ask you to shop alone.

Schools were closed, Universities also. Schools are open again, Universities not. My daughter had her final year, and she got her diploma in a drive-through Diploma event 🙂

. At least from March to May, In June we opened up slowly, Restaurants max 30 people , Cinemas with seats in-between people empty. The rule is , if you are from one household you can sit together, otherwise 1,5 meter distance. In July they opened up more ( 100 people in Restaurants). But all is monitored, and if it gets worse we would take a step back. Economy is not that terrible, because people skip vacation abroad they invest now in renovating, book reading, hobbies...and they start to buy local more :-). I am a scale modeller, and in a Scale Forum, since Corona we have 30% more members , all started then. So I think that is one of the lessons, slow down, live together in your community, and support your local business. It si so much more fun than buying online, you can have a nice chat, get better advice etc ( Mostly) 

I live in the souther part, and with 10 miles I have also Germany and Belgium. Belgium did a total lock down, Germany a mild ( But you need to wear masks in Stores etc). Germany now has local lockdowns when an area has a certain amount of infected people. For about two weeks.

I think it depends on the countries health service. Germany's IC's were never 100% full, but they have a large capacity and good health care system. Same in NL, although here we transported some patients to Germany because we had not enough room ( but only for a few weeks)

all in all, it is going well, especially the step by step opening.

@jeanne_mayell:

Regarding the below, that would mean that the trade wars the last years were the counterpart to World War 1? But I agree, as long as we not learn , we get wake-up calls in form of crisis or disasters 

It is human nature that we must reinvent the wheel every 80 to 100 years or so as those who learned the hard lessons die out and new generations arise who don’t bother to learn from history and science. They elect leaders who exploit ignorance, demonize science and the learned.

CC21, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
07/05/2020 4:02 pm  

@tbs

One of the problems we have here in the US is blatant disregard for science combined with a lot of liars.

Here in CA, there are also exceptions for "household groups", so what people do is lie - they say "we are all family" or "we all live in the same house" when it's not true. I see what clearly are families walking around, not distanced, which is ok, but also not every adult in the family is masked (another exception is young children under 2), which is not ok.

Ms. C., CC21, BlueBelle and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)
07/05/2020 4:14 pm  

My neighbors child told me China is to blame. I said, "Oh no honey. Nature is to blame."

What is the hardest thing to deal with for me is the generational bias. 

I worked with a Chinese family I love. They traded me Chinese food for music and phonics lessons for their kids. The oldest child has the voice of an angel. He is now a second grader and I hate to think that children of ignorant people may bully him, as I was bullied for being Jewish. Hurts the heart.

So I take solace that quickly racist names, flags, statues, and history rewrites are being challenged and changed. I take solace that most people are sensible, although it still makes me mad that people won't mask up. I cross the street A LOT on my sometimes daily walks. 

I pray for respite from this virus but it will take longer if people don't have some respect for death. Tired of hearing , "Well if I die, I die." and even worse the callous, "I'm not getting this virus." Or the monstrous," You are taking away my rights with a mask!" Uch.

The very real truth is we will be even more greatly diminished of souls, and many will be Trump supporters and evangelicals and unfairly, front line workers. And I pray that I won't be joining these souls, that my family, loved ones, and especially my child will continue to be spared.

Ms. C., CC21, Lani804 and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
07/06/2020 12:10 am  

@tbs

I so loved reading what you wrote about how your country has felt with Covid and how your border countries have as well.  

I have also been supporting small local businesses when I can.  Up here in Colorado where I am staying at he moment that means visiting a just opened Saturday farmers market and making a few purchases as well as visiting a local bookstore which also makes crepes and wonderful tea.  They name the crepes about famous authors.  

Yes, money which would have been spent abroad can certainly help the local economy and families.  Slowing down is really wonderful too.  My girls have been doing some canvas paint by numbers which take a long time to work on so they are busy but spending quiet time together when not walking in the woods.

CC21, CDeanne, Laynara and 8 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
07/06/2020 2:53 am  

@tbs True, all of that is true, but we now have a group of people who want all the measures gone. Their protests forbidden in Den Haag after 100 were arrested in an earlier (violent) demonstration, but showing up in Wagingen, Dordrecht and Utrecht. Calls for more even if their protests are forbidden... I see it happen in other countries too. That's the thing I find so unbelievable.

The Netherlands and Germany have a sensible government, but since the virus hasn't decimated us we now have people who want to lift all restrictions. They are just like the people @Laura F mentioned.

That said, most people here do indeed behave and the positivity that can come out of something like this is clear. One of the things that happened in my neck of the woods were locals helping restaurants who had to close because of the lock-down. Locals started to buy certificates of the restaurants for later use. This way restaurants still had an income, which allowed them to stay afloat. They all re-opened now and nobody lost their jobs.

DIY projects have boomed, but so has gardening. At my daughter's school people are now trading vegetables/fruit. Yesterday my daughter went cherry picking at a hobby-farmer's. Just hoping all of those things stay and the ugly disappears 😉 

@ghandigirl Wonderful story, bless you.

Grace, CC21, Laynara and 8 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
07/06/2020 8:49 am  

@lovendures Those numbers are heartbreaking! Is travel allowed out of Arizona right now? I saw that Chicago has banned flights from areas with out-of-control numbers. My daughter's best friend moved from Minnesota to Phoenix in December, and her family is planning to fly back at the end of this week to visit friends and family. My daughter is desperate to see her friend, though outwardly she says she understands my concerns. I know the family has been staying home, but I don't trust the plane ride. I'm hoping their trip gets canceled somehow, and the decision is taking away from me. Please stay safe ... 55-70% of such a large area seems unfathomable.

ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
07/06/2020 12:01 pm  

I was wondering if anyone has feelings about what is going in Europe/rest of the world. Most countries are easing up on restrictions and opening up,

Right now there are two countervailing forces in the world. There's the novel coronavirus, which is asking humanity to adopt a new story of how it interacts with the planet. Then there's the strong collective desire to stay with the old, comfortable story. Most politicians are trying to restore that old story, especially in the form of insisting that economic growth must be maintained at all costs. The construct of the modern nation state is built upon the logic of endless growth and acquisition, and that's why so many countries are easing up on restrictions, regardless of whether their governments have good containment plans in place. Israel is experiencing a new virus surge because it eased restrictions, while India plowed ahead with its reopening even as the epidemiological picture there worsened. My gut says that the coronavirus will continue to wallop the global collective until we've finally learned that there's no going back to the old normal and that the metric of economic growth is untenable.

Basically, the civil liberties protesters are far from being the only problem. As long as politicians and the general public keeps saying "we must get back to normal," then we'll keep suffering. The coming winter for the northern hemisphere will probably have some hard lessons in store, even for countries that seem to have everything under control right now. 

CC21, Lani804, Pikake and 10 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Noble Member Registered Registered
07/06/2020 1:06 pm  

@coyote

Right now there are two countervailing forces in the world. There's the novel coronavirus, which is asking humanity to adopt a new story of how it interacts with the planet. Then there's the strong collective desire to stay with the old, comfortable story. Most politicians are trying to restore that old story, especially in the form of insisting that economic growth must be maintained at all costs. The construct of the modern nation state is built upon the logic of endless growth and acquisition, and that's why so many countries are easing up on restrictions, regardless of whether their governments have good containment plans in place. Israel is experiencing a new virus surge because it eased restrictions, while India plowed ahead with its reopening even as the epidemiological picture there worsened. My gut says that the coronavirus will continue to wallop the global collective until we've finally learned that there's no going back to the old normal and that the metric of economic growth is untenable.

Basically, the civil liberties protesters are far from being the only problem. As long as politicians and the general public keeps saying "we must get back to normal," then we'll keep suffering. The coming winter for the northern hemisphere will probably have some hard lessons in store, even for countries that seem to have everything under control right now. 

I am reposting your reply as everyone here truly needs to read,  understand,  and "get" this is how the universe and nature energies work when chaos and destruction are just about the only way possible to "plow under the infected soil in order to rebuild it with the proper nutrients and care that agricultural practices have to learn to do. 

We are infected from the inside out in all ways..minds, bodies, and spirits in this world.

It will take a lot of transformation to even allow regrowth to occur for Earth's survival in this 3D plane that we know as this reality.

CC21, CDeanne, BlueBelle and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
07/06/2020 5:43 pm  

@coyote

I agree 100%.

Our Gov. Newsom went on TV today. I was hoping for a return to Shelter in Place, because we had a busy weekend here - packed beaches, bars, parks, etc. UNFORTUNATELY all he did was add San Diego to his "$hit List" - i.e., the "Monitored Counties" list. This means a rollback on some openings, but not all. He also took about 4-5 other counties off the list.

So now it's just a shell game. Move the virus here, cover it up. Move the virus there, cover it up.

California is the size of a country (e.g., Italy) with the 5th largest economy in the world, an economy that is tech heavy enough that we don't really need to go back to the way things were.  So if Italy and Germany and NL can shut down, why can't we???

Here's an article by an American reporter who lives in France:
Do Americans Understand How Badly They're Doing?

Spoiler alert: NO.

CDeanne, lowtide and Share liked
ReplyQuote
(@share)
Eminent Member Registered
07/06/2020 6:01 pm  

@laura-f agreed with all you’re saying.  I’m in Northern California and although people here wear masks I’m still seeing a lot of people flocking to the beaches, parks and have larger gatherings.  I walked by trail close to the beach on Friday and although there’s signs saying it’s closed, there’s at least a few groups hanging out.  Then of course on Saturday fireworks were going off until 1am therefore I know people are gathering and having parties.  We were invited my aunties’ place but my husband and I decided to be responsible so we opted for a bike ride and watch the fireworks on our balcony instead.  I feel though there’s a lot of people from other areas coming into our area and acting irresponsibly.  

share the love and light

Tiger-n-Owl, CC21, Lani804 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
07/06/2020 6:38 pm  

Keisha Lance Bottoms, mayor of Atlanta and in the running for VP has tested positive for Covid-19.  She is asymptomatic and had no idea she had the virus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/politics/keisha-lance-bottoms-coronavirus-positive-test/index.html

CC21, Lani804 and FEBbby23 liked
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
07/07/2020 3:02 am  

@ Coyote. Makes so much sense if indeed you look at it from a world soul point of view! Still frustrating, but very true. It has to be painful for things to change;-/

CC21 and Share liked
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
07/07/2020 5:42 am  

I think I saw people discussing this about a week ago, so sharing it here:

How COVID-19 is accelerating the shift to a cashless society

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
07/07/2020 12:35 pm  

@sistermoon

Not necessarily good news, as the article is referring to credit/debit card use, which just makes it easier for the banks to control individuals and shores up the existing, defective financial system. I know I was referring more to a return to bartering where possible.

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
07/07/2020 5:02 pm  

@lovendures

Yes... she reported that her husband had slept from Thursday all the way thru the weekend... so that prompted the family to get tested.   https://www.11alive.com/article/news/local/atlanta-mayor-keisha-lance-bottoms-tests-positive-for-covid-19/85-e9ce02f0-9527-4c94-8b0d-f7a2ec1f5427

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
07/07/2020 5:31 pm  

Update.  Since I posted this article, I discovered Florida is mandating in person education this fall.

In the emergency order, Commissioner Richard Corcoran called schools "not just the site of academic learning" but also crucial places in students' lives that provide "nutrition, socialization, counseling and extra-curricular activities," adding that their reopening was critical to "a return to Florida hitting its full economic stride."

So, let's not worry about killing  educators and potentially students because the economy is at stake...

Are we awake yet?? 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-schools-must-reopen-person-instruction-education-commissioner-says-n1233061

There is a great deal of upset the the education world right now. 

I am aware of some teachers being told by their school district that there will be crisis counselors available to go on campus because the district anticipates teachers will die during the school year because of exposure to the virus on campus.  

Tough questions need to be asked.  Are we asking our teachers to risk their lives to teach students?  Are we asking them to risk their lives to allow parents to go back to work? 

The AAD ( American Academy or Pediatrics) recently came out with guidelines on opening schools for fall.  Many schools are attempting to follow these guidelines.  

But are these guidelines well thought out?

The AAP guidance focuses heavily on the lack of data showing community spread between children for the last four months or so. However, they don’t acknowledge that the reason there are so few cases in children and teens in the US is likely due to the fact that kids and teens are not in school. Even if they are mingling it’s probably in small groups and/or outside at camps. We do not have places where hundreds to thousands of students and adults are in buildings with old/no air conditioning, mold, shared supplies, and other health hazards. When larger groups come together we see outbreaks (see the Chappaqua graduation outbreak and the Rockland County party outbreak in just the last ten days).

In addition, the data the AAP cite in the US is focused on childcare that opened for essential workers. The YMCA stats, which are awesome, were derived from small groups. The childcare that YMCA facilities are running right now looks nothing like school. The Y keeps kids in pods of 9–10 that don’t mingle. They are outside as much as possible. Supplies are rarely shared. All of this requires funding; school budgets, meanwhile, are being slashed. It’s not possible for schools to mimic what essential childcare facilities did without a massive restructuring of school infrastructure and funding.

The AAP also cites statistics from schools in Europe and Asia. Unfortunately, teachers know that you can’t compare schools in the US to schools in Europe and Asia; we are underfunded in comparison and our country is miles behind Europe and Asia when it comes to controlling the outbreak. For example, many people point out that reopening schools in Denmark did not cause community spread of Covid-19. But Denmark and the US are wildly different. In Danish schools, there are 10–12 students in each classroom. The infection rate in Denmark is 6% of what it is in the US. Before reopening, schools in Denmark installed more sinks for handwashing, replaced manual sinks with automatic sinks, made sure each class had their own bathroom, and hired additional custodians to make sure high-touch areas could be regularly cleaned during the day. The school day is shorter and classes are outside as much as possible. Is your school district prepared to make these changes? Would it even work, considering the high rate of spread in the US right now?

More can be found here:

https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/we-need-to-focus-on-robust-remote-learning-instead-of-re-opening-31e9519e4667

CC21, CDeanne, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Estimable Member
07/07/2020 8:45 pm  

Long Island will start phase four of reopening tomorrow. Restaurants are still take-out or delivery only in New York City.

TD bank started to extend drive-by hours for Thursdays and Fridays. Lobbies are still closed.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
07/07/2020 9:21 pm  

Compare the Florida Superintendent of Education's message about beginning their school year which I posted about above to that of the Arizona Department of Public Instruction Superintendent Kathy Hoffman., who wrote this today.

“Educators, school staff, and families share the goal of reopening our schools and returning students to the classroom to ensure their physical, academic, social, and emotional needs are met. Like the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC, teachers know that the best place for our students to learn is in the classroom. However, today’s discussion at the White House Summit on Safely Reopening America’s Schools did not reflect the magnitude or severity of Arizona’s growing public health crisis.  

“For Arizona to reopen school facilities for in-person learning, we must first get COVID-19 under control. In the last two weeks, our confirmed cases doubled from 50,000 to 100,000. Hospitalizations for COVID-19 are up, and critical care services such as ventilators are at a record high use. The positivity rate in testing is between 25 percent to 30 percent – quadruple the 5 percent that experts recommend for making informed decisions about reopening. Today, Arizona has the highest infection rate per capita than any other state in the country – including New York during its April peak.

“And while young students may be at lower risk for infection, the educators who make learning possible – including instructional aides, librarians, bus drivers, nutrition workers, and more – are at risk, as are students with medical conditions. Those valued members of our schools need more assurances that schools and communities have the resources they need to stop the virus from spreading widely through their communities. Given Arizona’s rising casenumbersand the fact that Arizona remains open, I cannot provide those assurances for the adults and students who are medically vulnerable in our school communities at this time. 

“I welcome more aggressive action from Governor Ducey and our public health officials to help mitigate the virus’s spread.The reality of COVID–19 in Arizona means that reopening schools will be a community effort in which we all have a role to play. Stay home, maintain physical distancing, wash your hands, and wear a mask when you are in public. It is only with statewide action and personal responsibility that we will find a pathway forwardfor our students and educatorsto return to the classroom.”

Mark my words.  This is the next huge issue we are going to be facing.  

Education funding has been cut to the barest of bones and trying too social distance in school ...there are no funds to do this safely.  

Educators will quit.  They will walk out.  

Huge. 

https://www.azed.gov/communications/2020/07/07/superintendent-hoffmans-response-to-the-white-house-summit-on-safely-reopening-americas-schools/

Ms. C., CC21, CDeanne and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
07/07/2020 10:25 pm  

@enkasongwriter

Hearing from friends out in the Hamptons that it's a madhouse out there - more crowded than ever, big parties every night, very little mask wearing and no social distancing. I am also hearing that ALL the wealthy people who had Manhattan or Brooklyn as their primary residences are now making eastern Suffolk Co. their primary, and the schools are going to be overcrowded in Fall (public and private both), because they don't want to go back to the city.

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Noble Member Registered
07/07/2020 11:04 pm  

Reopening schools is an exercise in self destruction. From today's What a Day Newsletter:

A short parable: Last week in California, dozens of administrators from a Santa Clara school district https://Crooked.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u%3D8855a23519ab892dfe2cd34f6%26id%3Da2f2684dfe%26e%3D5d1bbcc1a5&source=gmail&ust=1594260409940000&usg=AFQjCNEx2W8fyPZUJg8uVwKKEa1le-b0o w">had to self-quarantine after attending a school-reopening meeting, because one attendee later tested positive for coronavirus. Surging infection numbers aside, Republican stonewalling of additional relief for state governments means that school districts across the country are https://Crooked.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u%3D8855a23519ab892dfe2cd34f6%26id%3D9ab2b1201f%26e%3D5d1bbcc1a5&source=gmail&ust=1594260409940000&usg=AFQjCNFQjCp9ycxuKFq3GP6Pa1Er2Jg6b A">facing budget cuts and layoffs, when resuming in-person classes would require supplying expensive protective equipment, and hiring nurses, and counselors on top of existing expenses. 

CC21 and Share liked
ReplyQuote
Page 63 / 66
Share: