Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic (When posting new information, please cite sources)

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

I heard from a former Delta Ops guy who works in government that the plan may be to do a 24 hour national "shelter in place" for 24 hours on Monday.

I couldn't find any online confirmation of his rumor, let alone that it's happening tomorrow and for an undefined amount of time.

TriciaCT, lenor, Cyborgprincess and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lawrence)
Illustrious Member Registered

@mas1581

Wow!

TriciaCT, Cyborgprincess, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

I also heard whispers of a full national lockdown -- but what I heard made it sound like it would not be announced tomorrow, as they are waiting until all National Guard are in place to prevent looting, etc. Not sure how true that is. 

Hoping my last round of deliveries can still get through...not sure if a lockdown would affect UPS. 

TriciaCT, lenor, Cyborgprincess and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@sistermoon

Well, in AZ, our Governor  just announced the National Guard is going to help stock and distribute groceries at  stores to help ensure food supplies.  NO date announced on when yet. 

So if that happens this weekend, people will be used to seeing them if they do more restrictions or a form of Martial Law later.  Our GOV.  only today closed bars, restaurants (to-go still ok) and theaters and then only in certain counties.  

ASU will be setting up drive thru testing with a hopeful Monday start.  They can do this because they already have the lab, suits and set up because it recently was approved to be a radiation testing lab.  They will switch over from radiation to genes now.  They hope to process 400 kits a day and get up to 1,000.  Currently only one other place does drive-thru tests ( Mayo -Scottsdale) and you must be a patient.   Our state is pitifully behinds with testing right now.  Hopefully more drive thru options will become available.

TriciaCT, Cyborgprincess, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

This pandemic is forcing me look hard at a shadow aspect of my psyche that I have yet to reconcile. 

When news coverage of the virus's spread outside Asia started picking up steam in the last week of February, there was an undeniable, impish part of me that was excited by the developments. I started thinking "perhaps this will wake people up. Perhaps now we will finally abandon growth-based economics, top-down institutional structures, the blinders of Cartesian medicine," etc. 

When word started trickling out yesterday about game-changing treatments that involved chloroquine, I was...disappointed? I was afraid that, if the virus was rapidly tamped down, global society would go back to normal, ho-hum: back to our shopping malls, lonely offices, Instagram-worthy vacations, our rigid adherence to observational science. Although my desires - societal transformation - is what we all want, I have to own up to the fact that a small part of me wants catastrophe. The shadow part of my self was rooting for the virus to wreak havoc. 

Up until today, i was glued to the incoming statistics about the number of infected individuals worldwide. To me, those statistics were just that - statistics, disembodied digits. I was projecting onto those digits my hopes, even if that projection (by necessity) carried with it a desire to see more people die.  I wasn't experiencing the extreme distress and fear many of you have been dealing with. In fact, ever since I've joined this forum, I feel like one respect in which I'm less evolved is my ability to internalize the suffering of distant individuals I read about in the news. 

Now I'm not sure what to think, what to hope for and feel. Last night, following a tip from @frank, I asked my spirit guides for, "guidance so that my life may flow for the Greatest and Highest Good." Even though I'm not sure what the best mechanisms are for society to undergo transformation, I do know that I want to continue my personal task of bringing good into world, regardless of the developments taking place in the news. And already today, I've noticed that I'm less concerned with the news, more focused on my personal tasks at hand. I'm also heartened by a message posted by @jeanne-mayell in the "reading the coronavirus" thread: that millions of people don't have to die in order for the virus to bring about epic shifts in collective conscience. From now on, I'm just going to focus on myself, my family, and my immediate community and let the meta-societal transformations take place according to their own logic. The narrative arc of this pandemic may look different than the "blood and carnage followed by rebirth" story that characterized WWII, and I'm only now realizing, as I'm typing this, that there's hope in this. We don't have to go through another world war in order to evolve.

Drolma, Tiger-n-Owl, CC21 and 41 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

@laura-f

LA just issued a 24 safer out home order. You can go out for essentials or doctors appointments. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/03/19/la-county-officials-issue-safer-at-home-order-for-residents/amp/

Tiger-n-Owl, Michele, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @lawrence

@polarberry

It will look dire in the immediate future because we're finally testing. Which is a great thing.

But something very positive will start to appear to finally start turning things around. 

@Lawrence your prediction fits the dream I had on March 9. I was standing outside with other people nearby and a gigantic nuclear missile was coming straight at us.  It was so close, it felt huge, like the bigness of a 747 jet when you are on a highway and it passes right over the top of your car.  It seemed that close. Shiny, metal, long and narrow shaft, it had come right out of the clouds and was bearing down on us.  I stood there transfixed and wondered if I could run and escape it. But it was clear that there was no time for that and I could only just watch.  

Then suddenly the missile backed up and there were other missiles also I suddenly saw and they all backed up into the clouds and disappeared, as if it were reverse video.  There were a lot of them backing up, maybe 20 or so.

When I awoke, it turned out that Kim Jong Un had resumed testing. But I think the dream was about the virus because I am not afraid of Kim Jong Un. A friend suggested that the reason I dreamt  about missiles instead of the virus is that the virus like the Cuban Missile Crisis for someone my age. As a child I was terrified of nuclear war and worried about keeping my clueless family together. 

This virus is the closest thing to a missile since. So I think the dream was a prophecy that fits @lawrence's prediction. 

Perhaps they will get more antiviral drugs out (esp. hydroxichoroquine which did well in a small clinical trial), and combined with summer time, perhaps there will be relief and a chance to flatten the curve. Sheltering in place may also help slow the spread, so hospitals can manage it. 

That said, my 11.11.19 visions indicated that April would be a month in which there was a lot of commotion coming from the U.S. collective.  I think the epidemiologists  know that the virus is about to explode in the U.S. People need to hunker down now.

Tiger-n-Owl, Coyote, LalaBella and 23 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cyborgprincess)
Estimable Member Registered

No toilet paper, no paper towels, no dish detergent etc. to be found. I keep hearing that there is no supply shortage of these things, so then why are people creating a shortage? It's actually quite selfish. All the toilet paper in the world won't protect you from germs when your fellow humans can't keep adequately clean. Sorry, rant over.

Tiger-n-Owl, TriciaCT, Goldstone and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

Posted by: @jessi1978

@laura-f

LA just issued a 24 safer out home order. You can go out for essentials or doctors appointments. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/03/19/la-county-officials-issue-safer-at-home-order-for-residents/amp/

We're not in LA, but as of an hour ago the entire state of California is "shelter in place".

Essential services list is pretty extensive, they will even allow for food deliveries or curbside pickup at restaurants, riding one's bicycle, walking a dog, kids are allowed to play outside, as long as everyone maintains distance.

Other essential services:

taxi/rideshare
anything related to healthcare (human or vet)
shipping & delivery services
auto mechanics & gas stations
public transit
garbage & recycling
markets, grocers, pharmacies
hardware stores
banks
laundromats/laundry services
caring for a human or animal in a different home
construction projects and utilities
government offices

Enforcement will consist of education, not arrests or fines (for now).

Tiger-n-Owl, BlueBelle, Cyborgprincess and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

The California Governor just locked down the entire state.  40 million.

He says 56% of population will have had the virus in 8 weeks.  

https://www.cnn.com

Tiger-n-Owl, Cyborgprincess, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sidwich)
Honorable Member Registered

Posted by: @cyborgprincess

No toilet paper, no paper towels, no dish detergent etc. to be found. I keep hearing that there is no supply shortage of these things, so then why are people creating a shortage? It's actually quite selfish. All the toilet paper in the world won't protect you from germs when your fellow humans can't keep adequately clean. Sorry, rant over.

I'm not sure if I had a premonition, but I made my last grocery run to the Chinese groceries this afternoon and just got back before the Stay At Home orders to Los Angeles and then California came down.  

Not every store had everything, but collectively, they did have tea/coffee, onions/garlic, rice, pasta/noodles, paper towels, and yes, even toilet paper.  I haven't seen most of these things in the big chain supermarkets for a couple of weeks now.

So if you have any "ethnic" groceries in your area, they may still be able to keep some of those items in stock.  

Tiger-n-Owl, Coyote, Cyborgprincess and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@cyborgprincess

I just laugh at the toilet paper/paper towel insanity. I watched people fight....yes fight.....over generic paper towels. All I could think of was they will dead of starvation with a clean ass, buried under 6000 rolls of 2 ply while I am alive eating the food I spent my money on. If I dont have TP to wipe with, my belly will still be full while Im using a towel I just throw in the washer. 

By the way, everywhere I've gone that's been out of toilet paper has been fully stocked on baby wipes. Hahaha

Lilinoe, Tiger-n-Owl, Coyote and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

If anyone knows how to sew the CDC is asking for face masks since there is a shortage. They have put out the pattern and a video of how to make it. They will sanitize the mask. This is for the hospital of Indiana but I am sure all the hospital are going to need this also.

https://courierpressblogs.com/pdf/howtomakeafacemask.pdf

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courierpress.com/amp/2865273001

In their instructions, the hospital asked:

• Use tightly-woven cotton fabric.

• Please remember that both women and men in a variety of roles may wear these masks.

• When your masks are complete, please call 812-450-8673 to arrange delivery. (You will be met in a facility parking lot at a pre-arranged time.)

• Collected masks will be immediately sent to laundry/processing to be prepared for use.

• Any surplus masks will be distributed to other organizations in need.

•  

Lovendures, Coyote, Cyborgprincess and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

Walmart, the largest private employer in the United States, plans to hire 150,000 temporary workers by the end of May as the coronavirus pandemic continues to sweep through the country.

The company said it is hiring the associates to work in stores, clubs, distribution centers and fulfillment centers.
"These roles will be temporary at first, but many will convert to permanent roles over time," Walmart said in a press release. "We've reached out to industry groups representing restaurants and hospitality to facilitate temporary roles that can be a bridge for their employees during this difficult time."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/business/walmart-hiring-coronavirus/index.html

Tiger-n-Owl, Laynara, Cyborgprincess and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

IBM's Summit supercomputer identified 77 drug compounds that could stop the coronavirus spike from infecting host cells. This could help scientists create the most effective vaccine

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/us/fastest-supercomputer-coronavirus-scn-trnd/index.html

Goldstone, MAS1581, Laynara and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

Make sure you open your mail then throw out the envelopes/packaging and wash your hands immediately after:

https://www.propublica.org/article/letter-carriers-say-the-postal-service-pressured-them-to-deliver-mail-despite-coronavirus-symptoms-and-often-without-hand-sanitizer

Lilinoe, Goldstone, BlueBelle and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@jessi1978

If this is true, I can't tell you how angry this makes me. No, not that you're posting this, but that our f*ing oligarchy is asking people to sew a medical product because of their epic fails on everything. Is this 1918?? For crap's sake, it's 100+ years later!

Yofisofi, Goldstone, Kateinpdx and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@laura-f

It's true. I posted it yesterday in the Points of Light forum also. The hashtag on Twitter is #MakeMedicalMasks

JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT, Laynara and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

My homeless man (Smokey Joe) who is really a squatter. He moved into my old  trailer three and a half years ago. He gets quite a few odd jobs.  Anyway, two weeks ago he went to work for an old school friend of mine. He told Joe not to go into the house 'cause his wife had the flu. She died last night. He told me a four year old girl four houses away from the first death also died. Of course we don't know that it was  chorona, but it seems likely.

JourneyWithMe2, Michele, Stillnessnmind and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

I think it is fair to say at this point... that many are walking around that have been exposed and are carriers ... most likely the best thing to do is to self isolate as much as possible....and wash,wash,wash and disinfect disinfect disinfect....from anything you touch.. I am here at home alone...yet I wipe down my surfaces  (knobs etc) with wipes ...cause... I have my windows open.... and pollen and who knows what is coming in on the air? Not to sound paranoid.... just an abundance of caution.

I have been hearing these guys ..several nights in a row sleeping with my window open: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_owl/sounds   and get to hear a glorious dawn chorus each morning.

A fair exchange I'd say.

Lilinoe, Lovendures, FEBbby23 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 46 / 173
Share: