Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic (When posting new information, please cite sources)

(@rowsella)
Noble Member Registered

I had one of my "flashes of insight" and was basically told that the Corona is a warning for humankind to step back and do things differently, stop the assault on nature/earth. That the earth is "a self cleaning oven" and worse has happened in the past and can still happen in terms of removing the offending variable. The earth will adapt and endure. There are worse viruses out there to be unveiled. We have basically been warned. 

Later I found out about the Canadian Ice Shelf collapsing. So, that triggered kind of a weird feeling. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/weather/canada-ice-shelf-collapse-milne-manhattan/index.html

Isabelle, deetoo, lenor and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
Illustrious Member Registered

@Rowsella, I am afraid, really afraid that people still aren't listening. 

We had a notice from the water company two days ago, to stop watering our gardens due to strain on the water system (it is very hot here right now). What do people do? They keep watering lawns and filling pools.

Nobody seems to want to understand that things can just stop. Water stops flowing through the tap, no more working sewers, garbage stops from being collected... The chain is very fragile. People need to step up and take responsibility and take care of nature. 

The shock from Covid is already out of the system of many people here. Only the elderly and those of us with brains still stay at home... Until governments (that's how it works in the EU) force us to chance, it won't come fast enough.

Isabelle, deetoo, lenor and 23 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

Bill Gates: Coronavirus pandemic will end 'for the rich world' by late 2021 - CNET

"The innovation pipeline on scaling up diagnostics, on new therapeutics, on vaccines is actually quite impressive," Gates told Wired magazine in an interview published Friday. "And that makes me feel like, for the rich world, we should largely be able to end this thing by the end of 2021, and for the world at large by the end of 2022."

https://www.cnet.com/news/bill-gates-says-coronavirus-pandemic-will-be-over-for-the-rich-world-by-end-of-2021/

The disparities and polarities that we live in this world has never been more apparent to me than since the first month we knew about the coronavirus.

Suddenly, celebtities were all getting the first tests that we read about in the news when first available and others in higher income locations had them avaliable in their doctors. 

Here in Oregon, 6 months later I don't know of anyone without severe symptoms  getting a test just for peace of mind. It makes me realize just how long it will most likely be before we'd be eligible to be able to get a vaccine and far, far longer for peace of mind.

I am prepared but so many are still in such denial. It makes me sad for them and for all of those who have so far less than what we are so blessed to have even with all our problems here in the United States.

LalaBella, deetoo, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rowsella)
Noble Member Registered

@moonbeam 

I am afraid you are correct. We cannot even get people to take wearing masks seriously. The entitled attitude that exists is one of arrogance and it will be our fall.

2ndfdl, Unk p, Isabelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Russia has the first vaccine for covid they have registered it. Many people believe that they cut corners. I am afraid T is going to buy it and give to US

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-11-20-intl/h_01ce01c500e69970d35a4c02ea77d262?utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-08-11T09%3A29%3A30&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social

ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@Jessie1978 their vaccine has only seen phase 1 testing. They skipped 2 and 3. The EU will forbid simply because testing has to be done on a much larger scale before it is deemed safe.

lenor, Isabelle, Baba and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jessi1978  Thanks for posting. While the EU will forbid, I wouldn't put it past Trump to try to disseminate it here. Tragically that means that many of us will not use a vaccine until we can be certain of it's origins.  

lenor, Unk p, Isabelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@Jeanne-mayell, that is a frightening thought. Does Trump have control of your medication watchdog? Another thing to watch out for;-(

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Here are the Covid 19 Pandemic posts that got deleted in the update:

RE: The Covid-19 Pandemic

@jeanne-mayell

I don't think that vaccine would ever in a million years make it past the FDA.

RE: The Covid-19 Pandemic

I know some on here are still skeptical about the origins of COVID-19. Scientists have looked into it, and the origins remain zoonotic - meaning it crossed over from animals into humans. It was not created in a lab nor did it "escape" from a lab.

I'll just leave this here:
Scientists Debunk Common Theory

lenor and lenor reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

And here it is Russia is offering the US the Vaccine. As of now US said no thanks but people are worried that Trump will accept it through Emergency Use Authorization. They said “it’s the October surprise they fear” His supporters trust him. He can give it to them. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/13/europe/russia-us-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html

FEBbby23, Enkasongwriter, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jessi1978 That article you posted about how the U.S. is reacting to Putin's offer to give us his vaccine reads like something out of The Onion, complete with the photo of Putin whose snake-like expression gives Americans the shivers, except for Mango who adores him. 

"Other US officials told CNN the Russian vaccine is considered so half-baked in the United States that it hadn't even piqued US interest in a serious way before the rollout. "There's no way in hell the US tries this (Russian vaccine) on monkeys, let alone people," one US government public health official said."

CC21, deetoo, FEBbby23 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@2ndfdl)
Prominent Member Registered

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

@jessi1978 That article you posted about how the U.S. is reacting to Putin's offer to give us his vaccine reads like something out of The Onion, complete with the photo of Putin whose snake-like expression gives Americans the shivers, except for Mango who adores him. 

"Other US officials told CNN the Russian vaccine is considered so half-baked in the United States that it hadn't even piqued US interest in a serious way before the rollout. "There's no way in hell the US tries this (Russian vaccine) on monkeys, let alone people," one US government public health official said."

I am not so sure Cheetolini adores Putin as much as he fears him. I am convinced that Putin has something on the Mango Menace that has worked quite effectively as blackmail material.

Ms. C., CC21, FEBbby23 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)
Illustrious Member Moderator

This could be very good news. An inexpensive, accurate saliva test developed by Yale was just approved by the FDA:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/931533/fda-approves-salivabased-coronavirus-test-viewed-major-game-changer

lenor, Tiger-n-Owl, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@cc21 Thank for this good news!

CC21, FEBbby23, CC21 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Posted by: @moonbeam

@Jeanne-mayell, that is a frightening thought. Does Trump have control of your medication watchdog? Another thing to watch out for;-(

We do not have watchdogs of any kind in the US. The pharma-industrial complex runs the show in terms of what meds get used and how, and how much they cost (a lot).

We used to have watchdogs - Inspectors General for each agency - Twitler has systemically eliminated or rendered them all ineffective. So the FDA used to regulate all meds and vaccines, now they are all but useless - they are a rubber stamp agency for the oligarchy.

lenor, Tiger-n-Owl, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@laura-f, Wow that's even worse than the information reaching Europe about what Trump is doing. What a 1984 world you're living in;-(

Not that it will help you much, but the world (excluding some nutters and dictators) looks forward with you and prays and hopes that sanity will prevail in November. This cannot be the end. It has to be a new, grand, beginning where the old status quo was purged by fire and the country is ready to move forward to 2021.

lenor, Unk p, LalaBella and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@cc21

I took a saliva test at work several months ago. All hospital employees were tested. Maybe this one is an improvement.

lenor, Tiger-n-Owl, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@moonbeam If you are talking about safety controls and government oversight of the pharmaceutical industry in the USA, it has been eroding for the last forty years, as have safety controls and oversight over the food industry. In Republican administrations, the fox is always put in charge of the. henhouse when it comes to oversight. But under Trump, they don't even bother to hide it. Oversight with the government  is nearly non existence. 

But for forty years, the Pharma industry has infiltrated the universities and medical schools so that drug research and clinical trials are biased in favor of approving drugs.  They have also infiltrated the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) who have the final word over approval of drugs.

Effexor, for example, a profitable anti-depressant, was banned in some countries, and banned for children in several European countries due to evidence that it causes suicide, but is widely available in the U.S. The FDA didn't even put a black box warning on this drug for decades after multiple suicides until drug companies lost so many lawsuits when people, including children, died after taking these drugs. There have been similar findings with other antidepressants, and again, few protective measures in the U.S.  The medical journals, where research is peer reviewed and published, are also influenced by the pharmaceutical companies.  

It's widely understood by health care advocates and activists, that  pharmaceutical companies are the Darth Vaders of the health care industry. And their influence over government and universities is powerful. 

Unk p, Michele, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

An eye opening book about how American medical and pharmaceutical companies hold us all hostage and not held accountable for dangerous medical procedures and drugs is 

An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back

Book by Elisabeth Rosenthal

The author is a doctor and former NYT medical journalist. 

JourneyWithMe2, Grace, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@Jeanne-mayell, I knew it wasn't all that due to the fact that certain products (like sleeping pills) can be bought off the shelf in the US where in the EU you need a prescription etc. That said, I do think capitalism went round the bent in America, because this sounds insane.

Here we all had lock-downs (except in Sweden) despite what it would do to the economy. In the US ppl cite the economy as a reason not to do it. Money over human life boggles the mind. Then again, we do have a better fall back system concerning rent, healthcare and all that... we're not out of a house or food if we do not have a job.

I really hope some good ppl get to be in charge soon and give the citizens of the US those certainties we've depended on for so long. It's crazy that the US doesn't have the things that other '1st world' countries enjoy. Peace and strength for all the Americans here. ❤️ 

Grace, ghandigirl, Share and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 110 / 173
Share: