Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic  

Page 1 / 66
  RSS

(@thebeast)
Eminent Member Registered
01/26/2020 10:49 am  

As predicted on this site, a pandemic is on the way, a new coronavirus is spreading around the world . It has aerial transmition . The non-symptomatic perid can extend from 1 up to 14 days. And it has been confirmed that non-symptomatic patients can spread the disease . Death rate could be 3% or more . The younger and elderly are specially vulnerable . It is a dangerous, uncontain situation at the moment. You can protect yourself and help avoid the spread of the virus by wearing a N95 mask and by washing your hands frequently or using hand cleaner . Avoid travel and crowded areas .

RNA tests inticate that the first cases were acquired from a snake in a Wuhan wet market . Who knew you could expect worse than a venomous bite ?

Please stay safe . 

PamP, Lilinoe, Coyote and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Estimable Member Registered
01/26/2020 10:33 am  

Hi, everyone. This is my first post here, but I’ve been lurking for almost two years now. So, HELLO!

Anyway, I’ve been a little worried about this coronavirus. I remember during the Read the Future Night held back in November, Andrew Posey predicted a “disease that takes the attention away from power to survival” and “a rapid shift, decline to survival.” Well, here we are.

At any rate, I decided to throw some cards to see if Spirit could shed any light on what will happen. I generally avoid using the Tarot for things that spike my anxiety to avoid a false reading, but I thought I’d try for this.

I did a quick Past/Present/Future spread, and this is what I got – I’d be interested to hear what everyone thinks:

Past: 4 of Cups

Present: 10 of Coins

Future: 8 of Swords

My interpretation: A past of apathy and self-absorption has led us to this current problem. In the present, people continue to (perhaps unwisely) attend social gatherings. (Interestingly, I’ve seen some interpretations of the RW 10 of Coins as depicting a marketplace, which is where the virus is said to have originated.) Unfortunately the 8 of Swords likely indicates oppression, confusion, and isolation as the future result. I’m wondering if this means autocratic governments might use the coronavirus as a means to solidifying their hold on power by closing borders, etc.

I’d love to know if any of you disagree; as I said, I generally use the Tarot for personal readings for myself and those close to me. Also, I’d love to hear if any of you have picked up on this in any of your meditations.

Although I’ve never posted before, this community has come to mean a lot to me over the past few years and has brought me much strength when I needed it most. So happy to officially “meet” you all now 🙂

-SM

PamP, numerologist, Bee and 10 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@thebeast)
01/26/2020 11:10 am  

I believe your reading is right . Under the threat of a dangerous virus even democracies become autoritative. Any government is under threat, specially if they cover up the situation and facilitate the spread of the virus . It will criple trust and make the outbreak much worse .

I believe China is meant to become a democracy as it becomes the greatest country on Earth . Could this be the beginning of it ?

Use your N95 mask, wash or sanitize your hands, avoid travel and crowded places . Please help avoid the spread of the new coronavirus . 

PamP, Lilinoe, Lenor and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Noble Member Registered Registered
01/26/2020 11:42 am  

@thebeast

Thank you for posting this! 

We're listening to the news but almost none of us are doing the things we need to do to protect ourselves from so many potentially lethal outbreaks now.

We forget just how small our world really is with world travelers coming in and out of our country and bringing so many germs and viruses in with them.

And I had no idea this all started with a snake bite.  Feels like a very potent sign somehow. 

We know our world population will be at risk in the decades to come as ice melt and glacial erosion release ancient microbes no one would even know how to treat and as we all build up a super resistance to the few antibiotics we even can take without allergic reactions or that even work at all even against MRSA which supposedly many of are now carrying and doctors,  nurses and hospital workers patently carry as well.

We all carry so much within us already (viruses, bacteria,  even cancer cells and diseases once considered curable are now harming (as you have said) the very young and very elderly. 

And just this morning I heard on the news that Trump was bringing all the Americans home from the stricken areas of China...healthy as well as I'll. How's that all going to work?

China may think they are able to build a hospital in 10 days but apparently those of us who live in the U.S. (with so many inmates running our institutions) would need to hold a Congressional hearing to call a spade a spade much less know how to find one, use one, or how to pay for it--much less get anything that needed done right now--actually done.

Lilinoe, shan, Coyote and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@thebeast)
01/26/2020 12:14 pm  

@michele-b

It probably wasn't a snake bite . It looks more like in the making of snake soup or barbecue, infected snake lungs and guts got tossed on the floor where they stay all day long. As this virus seems to have great ease to get airborne, some people ended up breathing it in . Maybe the cook got infected . Unawarely they started spreading the disease, and then got sick .

We are all connected . Our prideful predation of mother Nature can only bring disaster .

Lilinoe, Lenor, Michele and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
01/26/2020 12:56 pm  

@thebeast

Makes me think of the movie "Contagion," and the chef wiping his bloody hands on his apron, then going out to greet diners who want to compliment him on the meal, thus starting the spread.

I have a friend who is currently in Kyrgyzstan, near the border of China, and they have been told to not eat any meat from street markets, nor certain fruits (specifically apples, bananas, and oranges).

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
01/26/2020 1:59 pm  

@thebeast, I noticed yesterday that the stores where I live are sold out of anti-viral masks, as well as Amazon!  

People who plan to fly should read up on how to  protect themselves from catching this virus on an airplane where passengers sit in close quarters and breathe each other's air.  I scanned a bunch of websites and found this sensible advice for anyone who wants to avoid catching cold and flu viruses in from air travel:  (1) Sit in in your seat and stay there the whole trip. (2) Don't touch the magazines and other materials in the pocket.  (3) Try to take care of bathroom needs before the flight. If you must go to the restroom, don't touch anything with bare hands.  (4) Wash hands in warm soapy water for 20 seconds, (5)  Wear an antiviral mask during the trip.  I didn't have this advice when I traveled a few weeks ago but because it was flu season, I hunkered down in my set, zipped my jacket all the way up so it covered my nose and mouth, and went to sleep.  The jacket is not anti-viral, but at least it keeps droplets from hitting me if someone coughs or sneezes. 

This virus has some daunting properties that help it to spread:   A Lancet study that followed just one family with the disease noticed that one child carried the virus but did not get sick.  So it is possible that this virus can spread through asymptomatic carriers.  It also has a 1-14 day incubation period, so anyone who is infected will not show symptoms during that time -- adding to the numbers of people who will go undetected.   At the end of the day, they need to be able to test people for the virus in the way that AIDS has been contained, but in China, they have run out of test kits.  

I don't expect that the Trump Administration will be helpful in making sure we have enough test kits and in setting up for a national public health emergency.  They will be more concerned with protecting businesses who stand to lose by quick and strict rules. They are also incompetent and under the leadership of a Bozo.  So far they've just been stopping people in airports who came from Wuhan and have symptoms. But it is undoubtedly spread by people who show no symptoms, so they are allowing people to come in and circulate freely.  God help us.

PamP, Lilinoe, Lenor and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
01/26/2020 2:30 pm  

Is WHO still saying the virus is not global?  

They are waiting for what exactly?

Tick Tick Tick...

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
01/26/2020 2:33 pm  

@saibh

I wonder why those fruits?

ReplyQuote
(@thebeast)
01/26/2020 3:18 pm  

@jeanne-mayell

To those interested, the evidence poiting towards a snake origin came from this article on the journal of Medical Virology .

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/jmv.25682

@michele-b

Sorry I mislead you to think it came from a bite .

shan, Lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Reputable Member Registered
01/26/2020 3:53 pm  

@jeanne-mayell

Thank you for the tips/suggestions for those about to fly.  My son is leaving Saturday to attend a friend's wedding in India and I am very worried about him being on a plane for so long as well as being in and out of airports and in crowds in India.  I just passed your tips along to him via email (I can hear him saying, "worry wart mom!" from here).  

I too checked Amazon for surgical face masks this morning and they are available for order but the earliest arrival would be next week (with priority shipping).  I did stock my son up with anti-bacterial hand wipes though, and he his has antibiotics that his travel doctor provided just in case.

PamP, Lenor, BlueBelle and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
01/26/2020 4:37 pm  

Is there a way to merge the two Wuhan threads? 

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
01/26/2020 5:15 pm  

@sistermoon. Yes, I am on it but beware, the Forum plugin doesn't always cooperate and posts can end up in weird places. Cross your fingers!

thebeast liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
01/26/2020 5:41 pm  

Dang!

The latest breaking news is a student from ASU, the university my daughter attends , has the virus.  They said the infected person is not in University housing.  My daughter isn't either (so that is actually not comforting news) . This will be happening everywhere so we will be hearing more stories across the world and nation. But I must say, I wasn't expecting my daughter's University to be affected this soon.  That was a bit shocking.

Dang.  

I wonder what they will be doing in the wake of that info.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Lenor and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@practicalnihilist)
01/26/2020 8:33 pm  

FWIW my intuition tells me this will not become a pandemic but it will get dangerously close.  They will figure out a way to contain it.

numerologist, SisterMoon, BlueBelle and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
01/26/2020 10:01 pm  

ASU has finally updated their website.   They (or the health department) will be notifying students who may have been in close contact with the infected individual.  Sounds like the "fun" will be continuing for awhile.  It has been been interesting talking with my anxiety prone daughter about the steps she needs not take to insure her health.  I don't think she is TOO worried, but then again, she doesn't share her feelings with ease.  If it was a face to face conversation I would have gotten a better take on how she is dealing with the news.

BlueBelle liked
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
01/26/2020 11:32 pm  

Hmmm. There's a lot going on in this thread that I feel the urge to address.

First, in general. The coming wave of health scares resulting from antibiotic-resistant strains and thawing permafrost/melting glaciers is likely to speed up our globalized culture's transition from mechanistic, Cartesian medical attitudes to the more holistic practices that have been on the margins for so long. So there's that upside, @michele-b.

Regarding the coronavirus: I've been on a news blackout since the New Year, and, unless something  really explosive happens, I will probably continue with my blockade until the spring. So this is just my intuition speaking. The measures @jeanne-mayell suggested for travelers sound spot on, and you may want to consider wearing an anti-viral mask if you're often in crowds or live/work in institutional settings. For everyone else, though, the best thing you could probably do (right up there with washing your hands regularly with warm water and soap) is spend as much time as possible outdoors in fresh air. Better yet, get dirty. Take up gardening, do vigorous yard work, channel your inner 5-year-old and frolic in the woods. Drenching yourself in all of those microbes from the soil and volatile organic compounds exhaled by plants will act as a super-boost to your immune system. (If you really want to go hardcore, consider eating wild edibles as well 🙂.) Part of the reason why so many viral/autoimmune problems are flaring up right now in the human population is because we in the "modern" world have forgotten that we evolved in biotic cooperation with the palimpsest of living things that compose Gaia. The neurotically sterilized environments many of us associate with "health" are only one more manifestation of the mind virus of human separation from and control of nature.

Which leads me to my next point. Michele, I like the humor of your characterization of the American federal government. But there's not much to envy in China's centralized, top-down approach to problem-solving. Complex emergent systems, including human society, need flexibility and a diversity of inputs when responding to a crisis. That's how we get synergy and resiliency. The hyper-centralized Chinese Communist response to threats snuffs out the possibility of resilience and epitomizes the mentality of separation and control (which is also closely related to the mentality of war: "vanquish the enemy!") This sort of response to pandemics will only work in the short term. Eventually, the organic palimpsest that is Gaia will break through our myopic defenses and put us (back) in our place.

@sistermoon That 8 of Swords and your interpretation sound accurate. But it's not just autocratic governments that will use the coronavirus (or any sort of pandemic) as an excuse for solidifying power. Even established democratic governments tend to respond to natural calamities by clamping down on freedom and squelching the sort of organic, emergent solutions I mentioned above (Rebecca Solnit writes about this in A Paradise Built in Hell). That's because most of our governing institutions in the world right now, by their very nature, are centralized, hierarchical, and profoundly disconnected from the natural. The energy of the collective is going through an epochal shift, though, so I don't expect the 8 of Swords situation to last very long.  

PamP, numerologist, shan and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
01/27/2020 12:12 am  

@jeanne-mayell

Thanks!  I'm stuck at home with a dog who just had knee surgery but my daughter went to 4 CVS stores today and the last one she visited had two boxes left.  She bought both boxes and gave one to my son to pack for his trip to India.  She is in graduate school at a university that has a lot of students from China so she will use the other box,  saving some of the masks for my husband and I.   I'm very glad she was able to get some for my son before his trip! 

I also gave my son a big bag of individually wrapped anti-bacterial wipes to take with him.  But my daughter did me one better - in addition to the masks, she bought a pair of  elbow length leather gloves for my son to take too.

I have to admit that one made me chuckle - I'm picturing my son at an Indian wedding decked out in leather gloves and a face mask.   But, the thought was good.   🙂 

PamP, deetoo, Lenor and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
01/27/2020 11:09 am  

CDC - NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators - 3M Suppliers List

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/n95list1.html

Several government sites list the very specific N95 masks that are needed to keep viral particles from coming in as opposed to surgical masks worn in operating rooms whose primary purpose is to keep the doctors, nurses etc. own aerial bacteria and viruses etc. from getting to the patient not the other way around.  

And according to government sites just being labeled N95 doesn't mean they've been tested or approved by CDC or other government agencies for the needed level of protection. 

Thinking of you @lovendures and your daughter. Sending you both organically replenishing love and hugs and keeping everyone, everywhere in my heart💜

We need to nourish and care not only for our own beings but all who are part of us as a daily practice of mind-body-and spirit now. 

Obviously with something like this there hadn't been the needed research of any kind yet much enough testing kits produced for an epidemic much less a potential pandemic. 

But all we can do is our best in finding products for ourselves or loved one who are high risk or in potentially exposed areas. 

Anything is better than nothing and cleanliness of hands and keeping our hands away from our noses, mouths and eyes needs crucial mentioning. And this is the benefit of any mask or scarf or gloves in any setting even from cold or flu.

@coyote

Humor is an essential part of attaining balance and healing. I practice it daily. 

After reading your excellent comment about going out into nature and breathing it all of the wonderful healing and intrinsically immune protection microbes and lovely organic organisms we have around us, I told my husband I was going to go out today and roll in the dirt and mud that a trio of escaped pigs created when they dug up and totally destroyed our lawn.

The pigs have caused him no end of emotional distress for weeks and weeks as their owners neither fed them nor repaired broken fences--we ended up saving two of them via a rescue organization and farm animal sanctuary by walking right up to the "Do Not Trespass" junkyard/ drug house and kindly addressing our and the sweet pigs distress and getting permission to find them new homes.

Yes, believe it or not it worked when sheriffs and community agencies had failed the pigs and half a dozen upset neighbors for the past three years.

As someone who lays in grass or on rooftops frequently breathing in father sun and mother moon, my husband was afraid I might actually do it. Well except perhaps for the actual rolling around and getting back up again. 

Coyote, herondreams, shan and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Honorable Member Registered
01/27/2020 11:19 am  

@michele-b

You brighten and enlighten my day!

PamP, shan, thebeast and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
01/27/2020 12:04 pm  

@bluebelle

Love you 💜  and hope you are laughing. Goodness knows we need good times and a lot of laughter right now. 

PamP, shan, thebeast and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
01/27/2020 12:13 pm  

While personal or ingrained fears might keep us from psychically seeing the magnitude of this virus the fact that the word Corona is part of its title seems very significant to me. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corona

I love words, symbols and metaphors as many here do. Probably why I majored in Literature and Writing and forced myself to take some weird grammar classes about word usage that I still flagrantly disobey to this day. 🤣 But then I "knew" the rules would someday be changed and our technology has definitely changed all of that especially spelling 😳

But Bluebelle and other gifted "pre-sentients/pre-cogs" (and Zoron if you are somehow reading this) have there already been visions of pandemics and the destruction of global markets, trade and everything connected?

Today's stats for the virus are:

The death toll rose to 81, according to Chinese officials, with more than 2,860 people now infected.

A fifth case in the U.S. has now been confirmed and the virus has been detected in Singapore, South Korea, Australia, Canada, France, Japan, Malaysia and Vietnam.

The flight from risk comes amid concerns about a possible economic fallout from the virus, with experts recalling the impact of the SARS crisis in 2003.

Europe's Stoxx 600 fell by more than 2%, while in the U.S., the Dow dropped 500 points at the open on Wall Street.

Thoughts, impressions, previous visions now hits?

PamP, shan and thebeast liked
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
01/27/2020 1:44 pm  

All I can think of is how quickly this can go from a Chinese problem to a global one. China is the lead manufacturer and source for most of the goods in the world; have cargo shipments been stopped? Will distributions centers for places like Amazon and Walmart be the next ground zero for spread? I read the virus can possible live on currency, and Chinese people are being urged to use digital currency, or use hand sanitizer after touching money; doesn't that mean that goods made and packaged in China can spread the virus? And in the past two weeks, how many Chinese students returned for second semester to schools around the world? Or international students who were in China for study abroad and will soon head home? I just texted my son to see if there's been any information on his campus about the virus and precautions, and he relied that there hasn't been anything. And I would argue that any news out of China regarding the number of affected and dead should be taken with a grain of salt; China is a Communist country that controls the media and narrative obsessively to protect information and image.

PamP, shan, thebeast and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
01/27/2020 1:58 pm  

@saibh

@thebeast

Wow,  what an excellent list of connected concerns.  It boggles the mind.

So anyone getting a bit of paranoia here? I definitely would if this was lab made or controlled and China already had a cure in progress.

Certainly could end up in a very large number of disaster movies. Or let's say insure Chinese global domination. 

Far greater than snakes on a plane. No laughing matter but my overly imaginative mind just took the next big "leap of anything but faith". 

On the flip side the end of an era and emergence of a new anti-social media censorship rebellion into eventual Chinese democracy. A tea party rebellion to end all tea parties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/technology/china-coronavirus-censorship-social-media.html

Posted by: @saibh

All I can think of is how quickly this can go from a Chinese problem to a global one. China is the lead manufacturer and source for most of the goods in the world; have cargo shipments been stopped? Will distributions centers for places like Amazon and Walmart be the next ground zero for spread? I read the virus can possible live on currency, and Chinese people are being urged to use digital currency, or use hand sanitizer after touching money; doesn't that mean that goods made and packaged in China can spread the virus? And in the past two weeks, how many Chinese students returned for second semester to schools around the world? Or international students who were in China for study abroad and will soon head home? I just texted my son to see if there's been any information on his campus about the virus and precautions, and he relied that there hasn't been anything. And I would argue that any news out of China regarding the number of affected and dead should be taken with a grain of salt; China is a Communist country that controls the media and narrative obsessively to protect information and image.

PamP liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
01/27/2020 2:46 pm  

@rosieheart

I absolutely positively loved this. Elbow length leather gloves!  Were they made for rose bush pruning or the th-e-uh-ter? 

But they are also used in snake handling if thick enough besides the hook that is most often used in nature shows. So the thoughtfulness is just awesome really!

(((Blessings to your son as he journeys!)))

I also gave my son a big bag of individually wrapped anti-bacterial wipes to take with him.  But my daughter did me one better - in addition to the masks, she bought a pair of  elbow length leather gloves for my son to take too.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
01/27/2020 3:49 pm  

If you don't mind, I would like to continue to post updates on how the virus is being handled here in AZ with its first reported case of an ASU student confirmed and the fallout for ASU in general.

What I know so far.  

I originally found out about an ASU student having the virus yesterday from the media, not ASU.  ASU did not update their website regarding the virus and the confirmed case until well into the evening.  They have not sent out an email to me or my ASU student child ( they know how to get in touch with all of us).   The only way information has gone out to the public is via twitter and their website.

The following is on their website.

Dear ASU Students, Faculty, Staff and Families: 

Maricopa County Department of Public Health (MCDPH) has identified and confirmed one case of 2019 Novel Coronavirus in the ASU community. This individual resides in Tempe. This individual does not live in university housing, is not severely ill and is currently in isolation to keep the illness from spreading. 

The 2019 Novel Coronavirus, or 2019-nCoV, is a new respiratory virus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China that is known to cause mild to severe respiratory illness with fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Public health officials are advising residents that flu and other respiratory diseases are circulating in the community, and are recommending everyone get a flu shot and follow basic prevention guidelines.

The best ways to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses are to:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

ASU is working closely with MCDPH to investigate any contacts that this individual may have exposed while infectious. Those who have been exposed will be notified directly by either ASU or Public Health and given specific instructions on monitoring for symptoms. If you have not been notified, you have not been identified to be at risk of developing symptoms. Currently, no commercial testing is available and there is no vaccine. MCDPH is working with those exposed to get testing by CDC.  

We will continue to communicate with the ASU community as we learn more about 2019-nCoV and our current exposures. If you have recently traveled to Wuhan, China and have developed fever with cough or shortness of breath within 14 days of your travel, or have had contact with someone who is suspected to have 2019 Novel Coronavirus, stay home and contact ASU Health Services at 480-965-3349.

More information and regular updates can be found here or at the Maricopa County site

Anyone with concerns about their health or symptoms they are experiencing can call ASU Health Services at 480-965-3349. For general concerns or inquiries, please call 844-864-8327. 

Sincerely,

Mark Searle
Executive Vice President and University Provost 

Morgan Olsen
Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer

*Posted: 6:30pm., Jan. 26, 2020

It is interesting to note that the original letter I read said people HAD been contacted, not would be contacted.

My concern regarding ASU is that there needs to be a good action plan in place and good information flowing.  

How do 10's of thousands of students clean the desk tops they are working on? Will the University provide wipes?  They aren't provided yet.    How do that many students  wash their hands between classes?  There are not sanitizing gel stations either.  Bathrooms are not plentiful in many areas to wash up..  Just how do they avoid contact in a classroom with a sick person?  If they feel sick, can they stay home without grade consequences?  Usually my daughter  is allowed one missed day for every day she has class.  So if she has a Monday class only, she gets one day she can miss. If it is a T/th class she can miss 2. So, is the University allowing students to miss more days if they are ill?  That has not been addressed and students are upset on social media for not having answers.

The CDC "plan" doesn't work well for a university.

There is a bigger issue that is a problem from the CDC's end and I am going to address that in a second post .  

PamP, Marley, deetoo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
01/27/2020 3:51 pm  

@michele-b

LOL!  And, yes, what she bought were leather gardening gloves, the type you might use to prune rosebushes.  I'm not quite sure what my daughter is envisioning her brother doing with such gloves in India, but I'm tickled that she wanted to send her baby brother off fully armed!   She is, after all, her mother's daughter.   😀 

Thank you for sending blessings his way. 

PamP, deetoo, thebeast and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
01/27/2020 4:19 pm  

Here is the second part of my post regarding the AZ confirmed case.

A respected AZ news journalist was contacted by a concerned medical professional who had direct information regarding the confirmed case of the ASU student.  The student arrived to the hospital on Saturday with flu-like -symptoms.  They had recently returned from a trip to the Wuhan area of China.  The CDC took swabs to test the student for the Novel Coronavirus. ONLY the CDC tests for this virus.  The student was sent home with masks and told to wait for the CDC to contact them.  The student was in contact with may others at the hospital. 

The day before, a different ASU student came to the same hospital with the same flu-like-symptoms.  They had also returned recently from a trip to China.  They had not been to Wuhan however.  Instead student had spent winter break-in the Provence NEXT to Wuhan. After a back and forth with the CDC, the CDC REFUSED to test the individual because they had not visited Wuhan.  That  student was discharged and sent home, free to come in contact with others and never tested. 

The Maricopa Co. Health department told the journalist that the patient MUST meet the following criteria to be swabbed and tested for the Novel Coronavirus:

1. -fever

2-cough

3-travelled to Wuhan within 14 days

4-in contact w/person who tested positive for CV.

Only IF ALL 4 boxes are checked , they will test.

Unbelievable!!!!!

The providence next to Wuhan has had plenty of confirmed cases. This person, if infected, is now potentially passing the disease to  everyone they have contact with.  Also, are we not going to then test classmates of  the infected person if the classmate  now shows symptoms?

We have no good plan folks.  The plan we have is stupid.

Marley, RosieHeart, TriciaCT and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
01/27/2020 4:57 pm  

@lovendures

It is unbelievable but the number of available test kits and the inability to get more might be the cause of this crazy thinking and obviously they have not reached a recognized level of awareness of danger yet and by the time it does its already multiplied more and more. 

Lack of awareness, education, realization of potential contamination danger and the huge growing ratio of contact spreading exponentially in China-- all in the news with all outbreaks-- yet somehow no one is ever prepared!

Scary sad and very, very disheartening. I am so sorry. Stay strong do what you can with and for your daughter and others and spread the word, letters to editors of news outlets, phone calls whatever.

In this sad new era we a need to be squeaky wheels and just do whatever we can to educate others and pass on information and other wake up calls.

Meanwhile know that I hear you and  feel and know your heart and your concerns as will everyone reading here. 

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
01/27/2020 5:04 pm  

@lovendures

Thank you for this update. It good for us to have a concrete example of how it is or is not being handled by at least this university and local authorities.

As for your daughter tell her to go to local store that carries large pump bottles of antiseptic hand sanitizer and a smaller squeeze one for her pocket,  purse or backpack. She can then refill her smaller ones from the larger as needed. Use that to clean her hands as she goes through the day after touching major contact surfaces.

I have a number of family members with compromised immune systems and keep many of these on hand when I don't have time to use 15 seconds minimum of scrubbing things or my hands with soap and water or washing all surfaces.

I just keep hands cleaned as much as I can for me and my home surfaces before family comes whose health might be at risk or if someone is sneezing, wheezing, or snorting into kleenex.

At home I wash counter tops, stair railings, all parts of sinks and toilets that people touch (mostly handles., remote controls, phones, refrigerator door and cabinet handles etc. with that alcohol based sanitizer letting it dry naturally. Better than nothing. 

You get the picture...anything touched by others. Out and about in stores, public places we face doors, shopping cart handles etc.etc. with the pop up store wipes usually provided by them. Just use one and snag a spare for your hands...before and after shopping.

For myself I wear thin driving gloves in stores etc during bad cold and flu seasons where I don't want close contact with other people's nose, mouth or hand leavings.

In the summer it's harder as I'd have to wear @rosieheart daughters pruning gloves or gardening gloves everywhere sickly germs especially staph or strep year round might be easily be picked up.

I don't go go super nuts about this and often forget how bad things are but I do try as seniors with tiny grandkids catch every cold everyone in their preschool does over and over.

I'm not as crazy germaphobe as I make it sound for aging me but i do try for young children I know  who may live their entire lives  needing protection and care more than thinking positive thoughts and holding them in light and love. Do lots of that too. 

Yes, it's a pain and most adults won't bother much less kids but if its life or death we can try doing more. So if things get really bad we will all be reading up on it all and trying harder to be aware and take greater care!

Watch people at stores or in cars.....cough, sneeze,  touch, scratch or pick their noses than watch them as they contact every handle in sight, groceries they buy or put back, the check out line everything , the shopping cart, the push button credit card reader, cash back.....on and on. Oh it's an unwelcome eye opening experience, indeed.

I have to laugh at how gross it all is and am amazed we're all as healthy as we are! But obviously no excuse for public institutions, airlines or hospitals not doing a heck of a lot better and more cleaning than any of them do now. I've witnessed horrible lack of proper public health practices in hospitals alone. 

Being aware first then keep hands clean and away from your nose and mouth for sure to protect ourselves.

Ok I may be an occasional germaphobe from now on.  Ugh. But if an epidemic looms I'll be doing lots and lots more!

And also when I think of those without even clean water to wash in much less soap or other cleansers like most of us do or even substitute hand  sanitizers, I am grateful to have what we have and be able to practice better personal and public hygiene.

My heart is so hurting for those who have not and can not. 😢

shan, RosieHeart, BlueBelle and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 66
Share: