Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] CANCELLATIONS

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

NoLa JazzFest 2020 was officially cancelled just this past week. They said they'll offer refunds, but so far it's still a struggle with the credit card...grrrr...

CDeanne and CDeanne reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

The Running of the Bulls in Spain is canceled.

The National Spelling Bee is also canceled. 

Jeanne Mayell, Laynara, CDeanne and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michellepazicni)
Honorable Member Participant

I just joined to be able to post, but I've been reading this site for years! Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this? Any ideas when music concerts will be back in the US? I really miss them :(

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michellepazicni)
Honorable Member Participant

@sidwich wow that seems a little overboard to me!!

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@michellepazicni  I noticed that a concert was held in a drive-in movie format.  I hoped it would bring people back. 

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, Laynara and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

Looking like the governor and people of North Carolina have canceled the Republican Convention!

Good for them. Sorry for the people wherever it ends up.

Ms. C., Pikake, FEBbby23 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@laura-f

Our not so illustrious Governor Kemp is courting favor with the Present Lump trying to get it here. Which usually means Atlanta. Hmmmm.. .. yeah... not a good idea...sit down and shut up Kemp, go back to making eyes at Kelly.

LalaBella, FEBbby23, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

Wouldn't it be funny if no one let the Fascist Orangepop hold his hate rally/party in their state?

Baba, FEBbby23, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

It will be interesting to see what happens. If a Governor wants to Host, I still think a mayor opposed might find a way to stop it.  That would be the case in Phoenix.  No way would the Phoenix mayor be ok with that. I mean, baseball isn’t happening yet and that is mostly an outdoor , no roof game.

LalaBella, Baba, FEBbby23 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@lovendures

Agreed and Keisha Lance Bottoms has done an exemplary job of protecting her city and people and will continue to do so.

Lovendures, LalaBella, Pikake and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

24 Hour Fitness is filing for bankruptcy because of the pandemic.  They are re-organizing and will be smaller.  They say the pandemic is the only reason for the need to file.  

Any guesses on who is next?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/investing/24-hour-fitness-bankruptcy/index.html

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Postponement!

Due to the pandemic,  The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will delay the 2021 Oscars ceremony to April 25 from February 28 and extend the eligibility window to be more flexible for filmmakers.

The opening of the Academy Museum, which was finally set to open in December will also be pushed back to April 30. 

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

As you may be aware, AZ has a huge spike in covid cases.  Well, a school district near where I live has just canceled graduation ceremonies, for the second time.  Here is their letter informing their students:  

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the cancellation of our graduation ceremonies that were rescheduled to take place June 25, 26 and 27. Given the increase in COVID-19 cases, we have determined it is not in the best interest of our students, staff, parents and community to proceed with these events.

As we shared in our recent survey communication, the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) has released guidance recommending that mass events, specifically graduations, do not take place at this time. We received this guidance at the beginning of June but were hopeful that our state would begin to see a decline in cases. As recently as this morning, we reached out to the county again to see if the guidance had changed and unfortunately, it has not.

Safety has always been our first priority and we do not feel we can in good conscience proceed with an event that may jeopardize the health and well-being of our graduates, families and staff. We are devastated that we will not be able to celebrate our graduates for their achievements in the way we had originally planned and in the way that they deserve. We will remember the Class of 2020 fondly, and we know that they will continue to impact the world with a legacy beyond our current pandemic.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/peoria-unified-school-district-cancels-graduation-ceremonies-for-2nd-time/article_2d8da8b0-af50-11ea-b7cd-c78dd60e4354.html

Goldstone, Stargazer, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

HA !!!

Our outdoor band rehearsal in mid-afternoon got shut down by police! CANCELLED!!!
At least we got a couple hours of practice in...

Most neighbors are appreciative of the music, and we do it outside to socially distance a bit and let the sun and wind protect us, too. Pretty sure it was people on the other side of the canyon and not on our actual block.

Apparently here in America's Finest City, if TWO neighbors actually sign a paper complaint, the cops can shut us down.  They've been called to our rehearsals before (a few years ago, actually), and usually just check to make sure nothing illegal, say "Rock on!" and leave. I guess the law here has changed.

I think we should have MORE rehearsals, which will make those people have to call the cops every time. I think on non-rehearsal days, we should blast some opera and classical music at top volume thru our amps, since apparently we are not their cup of tea.

I've just about had it with people. I'm disliking city living more and more with each day, and I'm starting to feel trapped - not on my own property so much or inside my house, but trapped in a city that has way more assholes than I thought it did when we moved here.

We're going to check with a lawyer (First Amendment, anyone?), and also ask the city if there is some kind of non-commercial, b.s. noise permit we could pay them for. Mind you, there were, prior to the pandemic, fireworks on a weekly basis downtown, and EVERY NIGHT at 9:50pm were the very loud SeaWorld Fireworks, which everyone in a 10 mile radius can here (it's 4 miles from my house, we can even see them if we are on a second floor of a neighbor's house and).

ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

My grandma confirmed that we will not celebrate her birthday dine-in and that the visit to my grandpa's grave in Westchester will not happen in late October.

LalaBella and LalaBella reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

NPR is in danger!  Their rating have collapsed because people are not driving to work and have not started to listen to them at home.

This is not good.  Consider listening to them at home or on your way the to store please.  We need their voice.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/15/891404076/npr-radio-ratings-collapse-as-pandemic-kills-listeners-commutes?sc=18&f=1001&fbclid=IwAR3ynXQv_drxjX3WqDVBGbxQNMHIu_6r6rvmTP0nAZZF4Kikl1YLIGQJqQA

Vesta, Michele, Share and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@lovendures

You can support NPR by downloading and listening to podcasts and by making a donation to your local station.

We don't even have a radio in the house anymore, except our crank-operated emergency AM one.

Michele, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@lovendures i had to stop listening to NPR when they went all out to support the war in Iraq.  The few times i have listened since then (like while riding in a friends car, or something), it sounded like Republican Lite Radio.  I much prefer Radio Pacifica for news and information https://pacificanetwork.org/

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@unk-p

Unk! No! We listen to nothing else but NPR or our Oregon Public Radio on our car radios. Vastly limited driving anywhere now of course.

I will check our your preferred link of course ? 

@unk-p

i had to stop listening to NPR when they went all out to support the war in Iraq.  The few times i have listened since then (like while riding in a friends car, or something), it sounded like Republican Lite Radio.  I much prefer Radio Pacifica for news and information  https://pacificanetwork.org/

Unk p and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@michele-b @UnkP is right and it doesn’t just include their coverage of the war in Iraq.  But NPR has improved since Trump.

I think they had trouble trying to appear objective and got confused with what objective means. Objective doesn’t mean you give voice to liars and thieves, it means you report the truth. And since the Republican party has become a party of liars and thieves NPR has struggled with How to represent them. 

NPR is mainstream not liberal although republicans think its leftest because anything that isn’t extreme right at this point is leftest. 

I think they’ve done a reasonably good job with covering Covid, and they have started to be more on the side of objective truth in covering Donald Trump. But you can’t trust everything they say.

Ms. C., Unk p, Goldstone and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 11
Share: