Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] CANCELLATIONS

CC21
(@cc21)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@laura-f

I read this just now and boy, does it resonate. I think you are completely correct. I live in Michigan and cannot believe the petty response he gave to our governor. Hospitals near Detroit are already reaching capacity and already being transferred here to Ann Arbor. It is coming fast and furious and his response is pure malevolence. And I have been way past the point of being surprised by anything he does...this is sickening.

An article from yesterday stated, "What I've gotten back is that vendors with whom we've procured contracts -- They're being told not to send stuff to Michigan," Whitmer said live on air. "It's really concerning, I reached out to the White House last night and asked for a phone call with the president, ironically at the time this stuff was going on."

BlueBelle, LalaBella, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@adora)
Estimable Member Registered

For the first time since 1349 (during the black plague) the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem, where it is said that Jesus was buried and resurrected, has been closed.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/jerusalems-church-of-the-holy-sepulchre-closes-amid-coronavirus-fears-2

TriciaCT, Lilinoe, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

So, they cancelled our farmers markets again here in the city. This was a city order, not state. The state says farm markets can be open if well regulated with social distancing procedures and reduced contact. I'd rather get my food there, as it's outside in the sun, and fewer people have touched my food.

BUT one of our local farmers has found a work-around - they have a "showroom" in the suburbs - basically a warehouse location in an industrial park. They sell meat and eggs, and they decided to get with some of the other farmers from the market to provide fresh produce at their showroom.

So I sent they hubby. He said they did an excellent job - only a certain number of cars in the lot at one time, one customer at a time. It didn't even take him that long and we were able to re-stock fresh meats and some produce (and for a treat - pomegranate juice!). Of course he wore his gloves, and I wiped everything down before storing it.

I'm glad and heartened that the farmers figured out a way to sell their products, even if technicially they are skirting the shelter in place laws, I don't want our local farmers to lose their livelihoods, nor do I want those of us who can afford their healthy/organic choices to be forced to buy whatever crap might be left in a regular market.

deetoo, TriciaCT, Lilinoe and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

My god-daughter and her fiancee are supposed to be married on July 2 this year. She is so confused as to what to do about the wedding.  She sent out "save the date cards" to 260 people last year!  I told her that even if the wedding does happen I doubt she can have even half the amount of people. She said she only expects about 150 to respond yes. I gently told her I'm not even sure of that many, because even IF the venue is allowed to have a hundred people (which I'm doubtful of) folks will be nervous and unsure about attending an event in which some people have to travel from out of town, etc. Many of the attendees are older too.

She asked me if I thought she should postpone until the last week of August and she also mentioned perhaps next year. Her finance doesn't want to wait and is insisting on keeping the July 2 date. His parents are pushing him to be married one way or another for their religious beliefs because they are already "living in sin" in their eyes. I feel she and her fiance should either postpone till August or wait till next year. They could even have a very small wedding this year on July 2 and have a big party next year on the anniversary of that date.  I feel so bad for them and many other couples who are struggling with this situation. ? 

deetoo and deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@triciact. They might consider a virtual wedding on Zoom.  It could be amazing. Then put it all together using a top notch video editor for something for the ages.

deetoo, TriciaCT, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Today AZ Gov. Ducey officially closed schools until the end of the year.  Most AZ schools end in mid to late May.  For our family, what this means is my oldest will be completing her first year as a music teacher in a very different way than she began.  Since she is at a title one school, online education will not be an option for many students.  Looks like she will be providing lessons in both packet form and online form.   This week they are doing a spirit week for everyone.  Today students and staff are asked to draw a picture that will be posted online.  Staff is also asked to write some haiku. Teachers and staff will do a "car parade" later this week and drive by students houses.  The school has been dropping off school breakfasts/lunches at various drop off locations in the neighborhood where parents can get the food home to their children.  This is also how school work packets are also  going getting to students who can't go online. 

deetoo, Laynara, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Instacart, Whole Foods and some Amazon locations are staging sick outs/ strikes for better protection, health care and/or  hazard pay. Instacart is doing a sick out today, tomorrow is Whole Foods. 

Honestly, these employees deserve to be treated much better than and their employers have been doing so far by putting their health and safety first.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2020/03/30/coronavirus-safety-drives-strikes-amazon-instacart-and-whole-foods/5086135002/

villager, Shawn, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@triciact

Re: July wedding

I respectfully suggest they postpone the wedding to 2021. Everything is so uncertain right now. I have no intentions of traveling or getting in a crowd for the rest of this year. BUT what I would suggest is this: Have a small, civil ceremony and dinner for immediate family and best friends this July. Record it, post it to Youtube and send a message with a link, that says "Save ANOTHER Date!" Then have the big shindig on the 1 year anniversary. This should satisfy all concerned.

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, Shawn and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sidwich)
Honorable Member Registered

Posted by: @triciact

My god-daughter and her fiancee are supposed to be married on July 2 this year. She is so confused as to what to do about the wedding.  She sent out "save the date cards" to 260 people last year!  I told her that even if the wedding does happen I doubt she can have even half the amount of people. She said she only expects about 150 to respond yes. I gently told her I'm not even sure of that many, because even IF the venue is allowed to have a hundred people (which I'm doubtful of) folks will be nervous and unsure about attending an event in which some people have to travel from out of town, etc. Many of the attendees are older too.

She asked me if I thought she should postpone until the last week of August and she also mentioned perhaps next year. Her finance doesn't want to wait and is insisting on keeping the July 2 date. His parents are pushing him to be married one way or another for their religious beliefs because they are already "living in sin" in their eyes. I feel she and her fiance should either postpone till August or wait till next year. They could even have a very small wedding this year on July 2 and have a big party next year on the anniversary of that date.  I feel so bad for them and many other couples who are struggling with this situation. ? 

My cousin's wedding was scheduled for this past Friday in San Mateo (next to Santa Clara county in California).  My parents (very conservative Fox News watchers) were really looking forward to this, and kept gently trying to tell them that I didn't think the wedding was likely to happen, but they kept insisting that it was all going to be fine.

Needless to say, the wedding as such got cancelled.  Which I thought would be the end of it, but my parents then insisted they were still going to go up to San Francisco to enjoy the weekend they had planned.

I was appalled!!!  They are in their late seventies, and in great shape for their age, but clearly in the at-risk group.  I finally told them I was not going to go with them on this crazy trip (I have some risk factors as well), and the CA stay-at-home order came down shortly afterwards which even they had to bow to reluctantly.

My cousin and her fiancee ended up doing a very small ceremony from their home with an officiant online which they made available on live stream.  It was actually very sweet, and they had many, many more people logging in to "be with them" than they expected.  

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, Shawn and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

My birthday is on May 8, the yearbook pickup is on May 12 and 13, and the graduation commencement is on June 8. Likely my family will celebrate my birthday by buying the cake and some dishes from restaurants if PAUSE gets relaxed or lifted. I still haven't got any notification regarding the yearbook pickup and the graduation commencement. Possibly the yearbook and the cap and gown might get shipped while the commencement will go as scheduled.

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Hobby Lobby thinks the rules don't apply to them.

They are defying orders given by multiple state Governors to close.  They keep opening back up even though they are not an essential business.  Police have been called to shutter stores in some cases and state attorney general’s offices have been forced to send a cease-and-desist letter instructing Hobby Lobby to close.  States  where they have not followed orders include : Colorado, N. Carolina, Ohio, WI, and Indiana.  

I hope the police send them a bill.  I hope the states fine them.  We have other major issues  to put our limited time and resources.  This is so egotistical and wrong.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/hobby-lobby-keeps-disobeying-state-stay-at-home-orders-arts-and-crafts.html

TriciaCT, Tiger-n-Owl, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures

Here is a copy of a March 2020 letter sent to their employees..they have been quite controversial many times...especially as pertains to their female employees. All I can say in response to their crap is "Ye shall know them by their fruits" knowing that many companies such as this...will be losing customers in the coming days due to their actions now.

TriciaCT, Tiger-n-Owl, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

The Quebec government is calling for all festivals and public sporting and cultural events in the province to be cancelled until Aug. 31.

AUGUST 31st!!!

California was the first US state to go on a lockdown.  That was March 19th. It hasn't been a month and they just extended the order until May 15th.  

It is going to be a long summer if the rest of N. America follows Quebec.  I wonder what that will mean for schools and universities?

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-calls-for-cancellation-of-all-sports-festivals-and-cultural-events-until-aug-31-1.4891732?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&fbclid=IwAR2vzX3zSWkHrNbAxa1AAPKb-5VUapRERt2GelkbCWA_AsiSkPqan9RqRuw

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

My friend's son attends U Miami. He lives off campus and so has remained in Miami. He told his mother that they're already being told that Fall semester will most likely NOT be in person.

Laynara and Laynara reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Posted by: @laura-f

My friend's son attends U Miami. He lives off campus and so has remained in Miami. He told his mother that they're already being told that Fall semester will most likely NOT be in person.

Crap.

Online does not work for music majors.  They can't do ensembles which are half the classes my daughter takes. She is a senior next year.  She wasn't able to do performances with her percussion ensemble this year (they were scheduled for the last part of the semester) and half her performances for the orchestra/band ensembles.  Then there is her senior recital...

I guess we will wait and see.

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@lovendures

In her case it may make sense to take a leave for the year, and try again Sept 2021. By then schools should be able to resume fully.

TriciaCT, Laynara, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

It may.  

She did however already sign a new lease beginning in June ( it was signed in February for June) And her scholarship is contingent of 4 consecutive years of school.  She loses it if she misses a term.  I guess we shall see what happens.  The University originally did not want to refund any money for those currently in University housing at even a pro-rated amount of unused housing and meals (this did not apply to her but tells me they. might not allow a pass regarding the scholarship ). They only gave credit/ refunds after much protest and only at around 10% of funds back. 

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

Well, see how things play out.

A leave of absence requires an excuse - like a family health issue, or mental illness or other disability, so maybe the scholarship could continue.

You may have to organize other parents via virtual means. Remind the school that she and others may choose to take her money elsewhere because it's more affordable.

TriciaCT, Laynara, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

This seems so far away, yet here were we are. Germany has canceled Octoberfest.

ReplyQuote
(@sidwich)
Honorable Member Registered

Facebook has cancelled large (50+) person events through June of 2021! 

Link

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 11
Share: