Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] CANCELLATIONS

(@lilinoe)
Reputable Member Registered

Posted by: @laura-f

I have a favor to ask:

My husband and I frequently go to Jazz Fest in NoLa. We went on our honeymoon in 1995, and decided to go this year to celebrate our 25th anniversary in style, we even bought VIP tickets. The Fest organizers and governor of Louisiana are refusing to cancel or postpone. Just yesterday the Fest posted that they are offering discounts to AARP members!! I find this unconscionable.

I think they should cancel altogether. And refund everyone. But if not refund, at least a credit for next year.

Would you all mind helping me out? Please email the organizers via this link and demand cancellation:
NOJHF Contact Form

I'll give you a sample here, feel free to create your own or amend it as you like:
"I am writing today to ask you to cancel this year's JazzFest. I have friends who are planning to attend, many of whom are considered high risk for Coronavirus infection and won't be able to go even if it goes on. Please look to Italy as an example of what not to do - i.e., prioritize tourism revenue over public health safety, it's short-sighted and selfish. At the very least, if you are unable to cancel or postpone, consider offering a refund or credit to those who legitimately won't be able to travel there. Ignoring the gravity of this pandemic will only end up besmirching the good reputation of Louisiana hospitality."

Thanks everyone.

Laissez les bons temps rouler, mais pas cette année!!

Email sent! I hope it works.

FEBbby23, LalaBella, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

The Council on Foreign Relations has canceled a roundtable called “Doing Business Under Coronavirus” scheduled for Friday in New York due to the spread of the infection itself.

CFR has also canceled other in-person conferences that were scheduled from March 11 to April 3, including roundtables in New York and Washington and national events around the U.S.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-10/coronavirus-conference-gets-canceled-because-of-coronavirus

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

My husband planned a 60th Birthday party for me on 3/21 at a local restaurant and invited 18 of our family and friends. (Bless him) We cancelled it. I'm a St. Patrick's day baby but for this St. Patrick's day we're having our meal at home and we're just going to my best friend's house for dinner on Saturday, 3/21 instead. 

We are also cancelling our vacation at the end of April to Mexico.

Gotta do what is best for everyone!

Michele, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lilinoe done!

LalaBella, TriciaCT, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

de Blasio needs to close NYC schools. Immediately.

Lilinoe, Lovendures, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Universal Studios is closing.

Lilinoe and Lilinoe reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@lilinoe Done :)

Lilinoe and Lilinoe reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

thanks @lilinoe for reposting my request to send emails to cancel JazzFest, and thanks to those who are emailing! I appreciate it.

I even emailed the Mayor of New Orleans today...crickets...

Meanwhile they postponed their primary election.

TriciaCT, Lilinoe, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Jet Blue just "canceled" a passenger for life because he boarded their plane knowing he had the virus.

JetBlue has barred an unidentified passenger who it said boarded a plane from New York City to West Palm Beach, Florida, even after recently being tested for the novel coronavirus, CNN reported Friday, citing the airline. He reportedly informed the crew that he had tested positive only after the plane had landed.

"Last night's event put our crew members, customers, and federal and local officials in an unsettling situation that could have easily been avoided, and as such, this customer will not be permitted to fly on JetBlue in the future," the airline told CNN in a statement Thursday.

The man boarded JetBlue Flight 253 at John F. Kennedy International Airport and landed at Palm Beach International Airport on Wednesday night among 114 passengers. Citing JetBlue, CNN said the man was awaiting COVID-19 test results when he boarded the aircraft and learned the results upon landing.

A passenger named Scott Rodman, however, told WPTV that he sat near the man's wife and believed the man knew of the test results before the flight took off.

"His wife was sitting in the same row as me and mentioned to others that he wasn't feeling well," Rodman told WPTV. "She said he had gotten a phone call with his test results right before we had taken off, implying that he had a positive test but not actually saying it."

In times like this, I wish we could identify these selfish idiots by name.  I hope he gets prison time for knowingly endangering the public.

https://www.businessinsider.com/jetblue-bans-man-with-covid-19-for-telling-crew-after-flight-2020-3

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

Of the 4 dance performances I was working on to perform in April & May, 2 have already been cancelled.

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Noble Member Registered

In Australia, a few more events has canceled:

Melbourne International Comedy Festival

removed link

The Grand Prix has also axed at the last minute

removed link

Also all new jury trials in Victoria are suspended starting on Monday

removed link

Also I'm quite new here, been lurking for quite sometime until recently, so I'm pretty sorry if the links are not working.

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, villager and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@goldstone

Welcome Goldstone and thank you for making this first post.  We have a few others on here from Australia. Links don't work when you are brand new to the forum, but Jeanne might be able guide you  on perhaps working around that issue.  Glad you found us and it looks like lots of cancellations are happening Down Under too.

@jeanne-Mayell

TriciaCT, deetoo, villager and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Noble Member Registered

Thanks @lovendures. Not going to lie that it's not easy for me to step out of the lurking shadow and say hello, since introducing my self to new people felt kinda difficult for me at times.

Yes, there's a lot of things are closing in my hometown as we speak. Here's a couple more festivals and events in Melbourne that were shutting down as well.

Food and Wine festival

Melbourne International Fashion Show

The Australian Football League will continue on but it will be a closed session where there's no crowd.

Download, which is a heavy music show, has been cancelled as well

I wouldn't be surprise if the upcominc public hearing of Royal Commission of Police Informant Management in April would be livestream instead, closing the court to the public due to the virus.

Surprisingly, business is still usual for the lower courts in Victoria like magstrates, since lots of people tend to flock to them everyday. Sometimes in droves.

The SCV (abbriation of Supreme Court of Victoria, since I don't want people to get mixed up with the US Supremem Court) is opening doors to the public for other matters... For now.

TriciaCT, deetoo, villager and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@goldstone

Welcome to the forum.  We have forum members from Down Under and several of us have family there.  I have extended family in Sydney and my son is often in Melbourne for business.  Thank you for joining us.  Please keep us posted on what’s happening in Australia.

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Vail Resorts is closing all of their resorts across North America beginning Sunday for one week at least.  They have 37 resorts spread across 15 states and 3 countries. They have held famous  World Champion Ski competitions at their Vail and Beaver Creek resorts in Colorado. Eagle County where those 2 are located has seen a large uptick in coronavirus cases and currently has 20 infected, a 5th of the state cases.  Vail Resorts operates lodging as well. Corporate offices will close except for essential personal and many will work from home.  

All scheduled employees, both seasonal and year-round, will be paid

Currently only severe cases are being tested for the virus in that county.   They are scaling back testing.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-to-shut-down-mountain-operations-march-15-22/

TriciaCT, PracticalNihilist, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Noble Member Registered

On a personal end, the comic studio that I've been a member for almost two years, has cancelled their Monthly art night for April. It's for the best, but we might have to add a notice on social media and on the front door about it, since we always have people coming in to our studio for our art nights. No matter what condition of the weather is.

Even if we're lazy in advertising about our monthly event, some how people manage to show up on our steps. In droves.

Lilinoe, Michele, Lilinoe and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

JUST A REMINDER.  

LIFE IS NOT CANCELED.

Just the way in which we are used to living it.

Be creative while adjusting to this new world and open the opportunity for lots of joy to enter.

Coyote, PenelopeFP, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@penelopefp)
Reputable Member Registered

@lovendures I love how you are thinking about this.  Just look at the singing from Italian balconies! There's an Italian dj posting on twitter using his gas cooktop like a turntable...hilarious! We are entering an entirely new and different world and we can count on humans to respond with imagination and creativity.  Also, what is needed most of all, compassion.

Lilinoe, Tiger-n-Owl, Coyote and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

My son's college extended spring break for another week and will then "reassess." My daughter is out of school for two weeks and will then go to online learning until ... ? Minnesota jumped from 21 cases yesterday to 35 today, including three that were community spread.

My daughter's golden birthday is today, and we had to change all of our plans to celebrate her. She rolled with it, played with her new kitty, chatted with her best friend via text, hung out with her brother, and we cooked her favorite foods. As a family, we discussed what is going on, and decided to look at it as a gift to slow down, spend time together, spend time on things we haven't taken time to do in far too long. We are all introverts so we will be just fine; the hardest part will be keeping my son from wanting to hang out with his girlfriend. Yesterday, I took a long walk around the neighborhood and lake and enjoyed the quiet, and realized it's been far too long since I did that. My family knows this is a marathon, not a sprint, and we will try to see the good in it. (On the other hand, my sister-in-law informed us she is taking her daughter to Florida for spring break no matter what because she's going to "live her life." Sigh.)

Part of me feels a calm that says, "it's all going to be fine," and part of my stomach churns at the thought of all the people who refuse to take this seriously and what they can unwittingly do to those around them. I'm only responsible for me and mine, I guess. I did, however, have a stern talk with my mom to stay home and keep my dad home (he's feeling better, thank goodness); they are social extroverts so this will be very difficult for them.

I truly hope more states figure out sooner than later that they need to tell their people to stay home. The message needs to be made more clear and definitive.

Lilinoe, Tiger-n-Owl, Coyote and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@penelopefp

Compassion, a must!

I love all of those videos too.  They are not only inspiring themselves, they are inspiring the world.

Lilinoe, PenelopeFP, Lilinoe and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 11
Share: