Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] CANCELLATIONS

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

I thought it would be helpful to start a thread where we can just list what events worldwide are being cancelled, or large swaths of school/work closings. I'm waiting to hear about New Orleans JazzFest, but I know some things coming up just got cancelled (or postponed at least 6 months).  Here's a few I found just today:

• St. Patrick's Day Festivities - Ireland
  • American Society of Plastic Surgeons Convention - USA
  • South by Southwest Festival - USA
  • Mariah Carey concerts - Worldwide
  • Green Day Concerts - worldwide
  • Facebook F8 Developers Conference - USA
  • Seattle Comic Con - USA
  • Ultra Music Festivals - USA and Dubai
  • TED 2020 - USA
  • London Book Fair - UK
  • Korea Times Music Festival - USA

• Schools/Universities - Italy, Madrid, UAE, Korea, Japan, Lebanon
  • US Universities - Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, USC, U. WA

Things I'm keeping an eye on:

EDC/Electric Daisy Convention - Las Vegas
NOJHF/NoLa Jazz Fest 2020 - New Orleans
Coachella - Riverside Co., CA
Comic Con - San Diego

Laissez le bon temps rouler et lavez-vous les mains!

Lilinoe, FEBbby23, Lovendures and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

St. Patrick's Day Festivities BOSTON MA also cancelled

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, Lilinoe and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@laura-f

St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in Seattle cancelled.

University of Washington has switched to online instruction.  No classes.

ReplyQuote
(@yofisofi)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @laura-f
  • US Universities - Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, USC, U. WA 

By this bullet, do you mean these universities are closing completely for a while, or just cancelling all their events this spring? If the latter, we should add MIT to the list.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

From my understanding, the closings are a fluid thing.  Some are for a few days with the desire to go online for the rest of the semester.  Some for a few days until spring break, some as a test only.  Some because there is a possible case.

Online will not work for everything though.  Certain science courses.  Music classes with ensembles ( my daughter has 3 different ones this semester)   Few for lessons percussionists don't usually own their own marimba or timpani.  You can't do those lessons over FaceTime.    Seniors give senior recitals, that is what they work 4 years to do.  It is a major grade too. Composition majors need those comps played by a band.   How does that happen now?  Luckily my daughter is not a senior,  What about student teachers who are in schools that close so they can't teach?  Internships, study abroad taking place now, studio art classes like ceramics that are done in a studio only.  Choir courses, Nursing internships. Theatre majors.

It is tricky.

Yofisofi, LalaBella, BlueBelle and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Italy is officially, well,  closed. 

LalaBella, BlueBelle, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@villager)
Noble Member Registered

In Australia, Miley Cyrus has cancelled her participation in a bush fire relief concert due to Covid-19.

One of Melbourne's largest universities (Monash University) postponed the start of the university year by one week. The first (delayed) day was today, with mainly online teaching planned for the first week. 

BlueBelle, TriciaCT, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures

Excellent points! We can read cancelled but there are caveats and online doesn't mean classes are cancelled just buildings are closing schooling has not. 

Facts and detail checking for a lot of our information will become more and more important in the times ahead.

BlueBelle, TriciaCT, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@lovendures

"Italy is officially, well,  closed."

My number 1 favorite post of the week.

As badly as I feel for everyone involved in the depths of that story, both levity and brevity are so needed now! 

Lovendures, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@yofisofi

See what @Lovendures is saying - she is correct, it's not absolute closure.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Harvard has officially ordered all students off campus by this weekend.  After Spring break they are not to come back and classes will be held remotely.  I guess that means all Freshmen will be traveling across the country and head home.  

The University of Sheffield in England beginning today will only offer remote classes for the rest of the term.  This is the University my daughter received her Masters Degree from last year.  I can not imagine what her experience would have been like  if the virus hit last year instead of this year.  Well, actually I can imagine.  I am so grateful she had the experiences she did and so sad for all of the students this year and all other global universities facing this dilemma.   

Looks like the young may not get sick, but they are feeling the effects of this virus.  Local school districts are beginning to close their schools too.  These aren't snow days.  This will leave a lasting impression. 

BlueBelle, Yofisofi, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Posted by: @michele-b

@lovendures

"Italy is officially, well,  closed."

My number 1 favorite post of the week.

As badly as I feel for everyone involved in the depths of that story, both levity and brevity are so needed now! 

Thanks Michele!  That put a big smile on my face.

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@lovendures - let me give you the native version of your Italy statement, as I'm sure this is being uttered across that country:

"Macchè cazzo è! L'italia è chiusa?!? Mo che fammo?? Porca miseria!!!"

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Posted by: @laura-f

@lovendures - let me give you the native version of your Italy statement, as I'm sure this is being uttered across that country:

"Macchè cazzo è! L'italia è chiusa?!? Mo che fammo?? Porca miseria!!!"

Um, that is more difficult to say, though certainly more expressive   haha.  Those Italians sure have a way of letting their feelings known.  

LalaBella and LalaBella reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

More music tours/concerts postponed or cancelled:

Pearl Jam

Madonna

Miley Cyrus

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Reposting this here.

My advice, IF the local government is saying that something MIGHT happen, be prepared that it WILL happen.  That is your few hours notice for your last run of supplies or...helping your neighbor or (fill in the blank) ...until it is lifted. 

IF you are in "wait and see" mode, you need a new mode.   Your  community is  not immune, you are not prepared and will not have the time you need when your community gets hit.

If you prepare today, you are playing catch up which is better than make due.  

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yofisofi)
Noble Member Registered

MIT just announced it will be closing for the next two weeks (week #2 is spring break anyway) , and undergrads will not be coming back to campus this semester -- all classes will proceed online.

ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

The list of colleges and universities that are delaying return from spring break, moving to online learning, or closing for the rest of the semester full-stop, is growing by the hour, it seems.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/03/10/at-least-45-colleges-have-cancelled-in-person-classes-so-far-over-coronavirus-fears/?fbclid=IwAR2vaPWoP496ZzlkjqF7EnYXXaQuCksN5j8Btm-_1I0GLmzY91ouprYnSu4#2784eff54673

My kids swim, so I've been watching that since we are in championship season. Short-course nationals have been cancelled, Italy has cancelled Olympic Trials, the Olympic committee has to decide by May whether to go ahead with the Games. There is a college champ meet in Cleveland this weekend ... we'll see if that goes ahead since Ohio just declared a State of Emergency.

College athletic events are being cancelled, as well as some high school events.

My son's college is in a state that just today got its first positive test case. He was told that the school will "monitor the situation" while everyone is on break. I worry more about people scattering then coming back together after a week.

Pod Save America has cancelled all upcoming tour shows.

There are now three confirmed cases in a 10-mile radius of where I live, so I fully expect my younger child's school to address this and make changes at some point in the not too distant future. Many people are worried things like prom and graduation will be cancelled.

FEBbby23 and FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

Forgot ... my husband works for a huge tech company, and they have told all employees to work from home as much as possible, no non-emergency business travel, and two large gatherings (thousands of people) for April and May have been cancelled.

Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, and other large companies out west have gone to "work from home" status.

ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@saibh add Quinnipiac in CT to the list.  My daughter was just informed

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 11
Share: