Notifications
Clear all

Basic rations to survive a pandemic

(@mas1581)
Illustrious Member Registered

If any of you have elementary school.aged kids, I pulled some parental brilliance out of my backside completely by accident yesterday. I have twin toddlers and an 8 year old that's already stircrazy. I was talking to her about the virus, in close to her terms. She asked how we make our immune system better and I told her plenty of sleep. She said that's why the twins need their naps and I ran with it. From now on 1-3pm is mandatory immune system naptime. She doesnt have to sleep but has to lay quiet in bed and can watch her iPad or read if she isnt that tired. She loves the idea and it gives me 2 hours to recharge my sanity midday.

Feel free to steal this idea if you've got kids

TriciaCT, villager, SisterMoon and 25 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@coyote

I have always loved to read.. and.. as convenient as Kindles etc are? Nothing beats the opening the book and turning the pages sinking slowly in to a different reality!!!

TriciaCT, deetoo, Michele and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

@journeywithme2

I couldn't agree with you more: paper books > e-readers. That's why my Kindle is reserved for nonfiction titles that I'd have a hard time finding in print.

TriciaCT, Lilinoe, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@coyote

@journeywithme2

I have a bookmark that says "A book is the gift that keeps on giving!"

I love that so much because its absolutely spot on!

We give books as part of all of our grandchildren's gifts. Even as toddlers they all loved reading them by theirselves or as a whole family at bedtime . 

A well honed tradition from my children's childhoods now passed on down.

It never ceases to amaze me how they are all able to remember countless quotations from early childhood books to now.

TriciaCT, Lilinoe, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

I was at Walmart at the right time, and was able to buy TP, which I can now share with my H. man.

I found out from my daughter, the reason I can't find canned cat food is because they aren't delivering it to our Walmart. If I want it, I have to go to Muskogee. 

TriciaCT, Michele, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminata)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

@journeywithme2

Holy God, is your son OK?  Prayers for him!

TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminata)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

How's everyone holding up?  

Remember, a large part of the reason for stocking up in the first place is to avoid encountering large crowds at the store now.

Take the time to thank your store clerks for their service when you do have to make a trip.  They are currently as front line as our first responders, and were never prepared for the battle they are currently fighting. Same for any delivery personnel- mail, UPS, Amazon, food drivers.  All providing life saving services at the moment.

If you have to make a trip to the store, check in with your neighbors- especially if they are elderly, high risk or sick and see if you can get them anything.  Ask for a list and get them what you can.

TP seems to be a big issue right now.  If you're at home, probably the best solution to the lack of TP is to do your business and jump in the shower for a quick rinse if you don't have a bidet.  Other options are: newspaper, various mail circulars, and various other paper products.  BUT - don't flush those unless you want serious plumbing damage.  Keep a garbage bag close to the toilet for disposal for those items - then WASH YOUR HANDS ( which you should be doing now many times a day).  If paper isn't available, dish towels, random socks without their mates, any old cloth object you're not using and never intend to use again.  These require a bleach bucket for "storage" after use.  I don't have a scientific reference for dilution here, but I'd go 20%.  Then wash those daily in HOT water and soap(see the jump in the shower for a rinse option for ease ?)Experienced cloth diaper parents will have great suggestions here!

Other things I am seeing are paper books for entertainment.  Yep, nothing beats a good paper book.  If you don't have these now, it may be hard to get a hold of them.  Try local thrift stores, Salvation Army, indie bookstores in your area if they are still open.  Amazon may still be delivering "real" books, but I've seen rumors that Amazon is or soon will be limiting shipments to medical and food supplies.  If you already have Kindle or other electronic book services - use them!  Take advantage of the technology we have available. Many worked hard to have it in place for where we are now.  People are sustaining their ability to work.  Vast amounts of students are still learning over the web.  For all of its problems, it is a solid move forward for humanity as a whole and is a truly good way to reduce some of the global warming problems the world faces.  Use it?

Music is another great pastime. The NY metropolitan Opera is now streaming performances free on Monday nights I believe.  I can't figure out how to post links at the moment but you can let Google be your friend here.  In addition to listening to music, bust out that guitar sitting in the corner, find the recorder you kept from fourth grade, make a tambourine out of a Quaker oats top covered with aluminum foil, enlist your vocal chords and make your own music.  Empty coffee can and a couple of forks? Drum along with the tune your streaming.  Sing your heart out to your favorite band - and dance while you're at it.  Whistle, hum, gyrate, thrum,  pound(gently especially if it is your forehead) and get into your particular favorite music.

Another great thing I see is Nature is your friend.  A good walk/hike a day is fantastic.  Just try to keep your distance from others right now.

So much love for all of you - for what we are - for what we aren't - for how much we will grow, and for what we will keep, even if what we keep is a reliance on toilet paper.  I give you all my love and my very best wishes!

villager, TriciaCT, Michele and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Posted by: @elaineg

I was at Walmart at the right time, and was able to buy TP, which I can now share with my H. man.

I found out from my daughter, the reason I can't find canned cat food is because they aren't delivering it to our Walmart. If I want it, I have to go to Muskogee. 

Chewy.com is still able to deliver, if that helps

TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@luminata

Thank you for asking.. this evening he broke his fever..woke up drenched in sweat...showered and was able to eat solid food for the first time in 6 days... he said.. it feels queasy (yeah - you have been on liquids only for 6 days!!!) but its staying down. He has been living off the herbal teas, Pedialyte and broths, bone broths for the past 6 days. He is still very weak and tires quite easily .. he had to lay down after his shower and nap again... but I am most thankful and appreciative for all the support and prayers we have been getting sent up on his behalf!! Interestingly enough.. when he had to go back after the first ER visit as he worsened the next day... he was prescribed a Z-pack, corticosteroids and pain meds...whereas the first day they did labs and did not send him home on anything. He had been working 6-7 days at week at two jobs for several months now and eating fast foods a good bit... his immune system was run down...and this stuff kicked his arse he said. The joint pain and body aches were fierce from the constant non productive coughing so hard he'd lose his breath..he pulled muscles from coughing so much...so I told him the trick of hugging a pillow to his chest to cough. Tonight is the first time I have felt at ease about him.. so .. I know our prayers stormed Heaven. Thank you all.

villager, ghandigirl, Michele and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

Did you know that Walmart has an order online and pick up (special parking spots usually) at your store? @elaineg for your pet food. Links later below.

You place your order online, pay with PayPal or a credit card and then send it if off as an order form order.

You can order things right from your local store by making sure your location is selected and pickup up when it's your turn "in line" to pick up outside the store usually in a specially marked "pick up" spot.

An associate brings it out in 5 cents added on each paper store bags and places them without contact with you in the back trunk of your or whatever space in your car. Open this before they come out. Then wait in your car without close contact. No one should be going out for anything but essential work or service jobs now. 

That way they can't infect you if they are unknowingly sick nor you them.

A minimum order of $35 and there will not be an extra charge. Each item will cost a bit to a bit more to help with handling charges. 

Primary web site:

Pickup Today| Free pickup at store| Walmart.com - Walmart.com
https://www.walmart.com/cp/pick-up-today/1075364

Pet food example of one brand. Others available. 

(24 Pack) Friskies Gravy Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, Tasty Treasures Prime Filets, 5.5 oz. Cans - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/24-Pack-Friskies-Gravy-Wet-Cat-Food-Variety-Pack-Tasty-Treasures-Prime-Filets-5-5-oz-Cans/36128409

I do this at our local Kroger Store Fred Meyer. Right now our orders are 2 to 3 days out but will no doubt get much much longer at a stores now offering this service. They usually have half of what I order which is fresh salad greens etc.plus items not on my pantry shelves.

They continue to be out of paper supplies. Read @luminatas excellent suggestions for substituting rag or recycle bin items. I had already planned to do this if needed but her suggestions are awesomely better!

https://www.kroger.com/i/ways-to-shop/pickup

Ignore the pick up today on these. That  was  before COVID-19. 

Costco and other big box stores have this service as well.. They will deliver via instacart ( and actually to your doorstep you stay inside) and its $12 per order.

Supplies and choices are much simpler and far less a available at the actual store. They use their order warehouse supply. We tried an order out and they delivered it to someone else by mistake and they kept it instead of bringing to my house. Thry send you a photo saying delivered and it showed front decking of wood not concrete and besides we were standing looking out window waiting for that delivery that never came.

Calling by phone to report was very challenging! But eventually they credited my account.

Pickup up stores are more direct. But stay away in your car except to open that door for them. Wear gloves to handle grocery bags etc if you are immune compromised! 

Gratitudes, thoughts and prayers to @Luminata @journeywithme2 

JourneyWithMe2, TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

@michele-b

Thank you for this information.

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

Thought I would share this incredible 110 year old man's secret for staying young and healthy!

Garlic, Cinnamon, Honey, Olive oil and CHOCOLATE!!

and he eats organic fresh fruit and veggies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAvTTGDSUQ

Lilinoe, polarberry, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@triciact

Love it!!!!!

Lilinoe, TriciaCT, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Posted by: @luminata

Take the time to thank your store clerks for their service when you do have to make a trip.  They are currently as front line as our first responders, and were never prepared for the battle they are currently fighting. Same for any delivery personnel- mail, UPS, Amazon, food drivers.  All providing life saving services at the moment.

If you have to make a trip to the store, check in with your neighbors- especially if they are elderly, high risk or sick and see if you can get them anything.  Ask for a list and get them what you can.

SO very true.  When I last went to the store, I also thanked  the cashier. I told him how appreciated and vital they were and hopped he knew that.  I am thinking of writing a thank you card and giving it to the manager or perhaps a poster.

Asking the elderly is a simple thing to do, we just need to remember.  

Many smaller businesses are officially closed but are continuing to ship or hand deliver items.  Consider supporting them if you need or want something.  

TriciaCT, LalaBella, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

Posted by: @triciact

Thought I would share this incredible 110 year old man's secret for staying young and healthy!

Garlic, Cinnamon, Honey, Olive oil and CHOCOLATE!!

and he eats organic fresh fruit and veggies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAvTTGDSUQ

No wine???

PPHHHTTT...

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

In our area, Uber Eats and GrubHub are waiving delivery fees, and most local restaurants we frequent have sent out emails saying that either they can do curbside pickup, deliver themselves, or to use one of the delivery apps. We've done that twice this past week. I figure it helps a) keep people employed and local businesses alive; b) reduces the use of my food stores; c) creates a festive/normal mood at home as we argue over where to order from and what to get. We're making a point to tip well even if we're picking up, since that's how most food service folks earn their money.

Even our local veterinarians are doing parking lot service! You call from your car when you arrive, they get your pet and bring them in, then the doc calls you during or after the exam to discuss, they bring your pet back to your car, and then the front desk calls you for a credit card number. This puts my mind at ease, since 2 of my 3 remaining pets are complicated health-wise.

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

And so it has begun.

A high School friend of mine on social media has had her first barter.  2 jars of Mayo for To Go Wipes and disinfectant.

Let the bartering begin.  I knew this would start happening.

Coyote, TriciaCT, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)

@lovendures

I'm probably repeating myself, but this week so far I bartered:

3 lemons off my tree for a box of gluten free pancake mix

a jar of my homemade chicken stock for a large fresh onion

TriciaCT, Laynara, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@lauraf.

I missed that post.  Wow!

I have an whole lemon tree still holding about 40 unpicked lemons.  I am planning on making lemonade this weekend.  We certainly have holes in our stores, sometimes big ones, but they do get filled again except for tp, hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray,  bleach, TP and paper towels.  

LalaBella, TriciaCT, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kateinpdx)
Noble Member Registered

@lawrence Wow, very cool!

TriciaCT, Lawrence, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: