Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Tarot Decks

53 Posts
14 Users
298 Likes
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Awesome Vestralux! I love the sounds of all of that!

We've raised the energy of the site today ❣

It's lighter and brighter. I thinks it's all our cracks we made. Right on ??❣❣??

BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell, VestraLux and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor

I apologize for not responding earlier.  I want to thank you all for your answers. 

Michele, I'm glad I was able to make you laugh with my stick figures.  ?  I love to see humour in everything, it helps me a lot in seeing the positive in all things, see the glass 1/2 full instead of the other way around.  However it doesn't mean I won't take things seriously.  So I'm glad you were able to discern that as well.

Thank you for re-enforcing what I believe I can do with my newly re-discovered gift.  We have been made to believe Tarot goes against the beliefs of the Church.  It's a good thing I use the catholic church for what I need, not the other way around.  It gives me the freedom and openness to other spiritual and mystical paths.  So I will continue to follow my heart as you all encourage me to do.

I love the suggestions and will continue to research them.  I found a site with suggestions on different Tarot decks. 

Vestralux, I laugh so hard when I read your story with your earlier Tarot experiences.  That is so me!  Yep!  I was and sometime am still doing that!

Jeanne, as usual, your suggestions are golden!  I may have to go with different Tarot decks until I find "The One".  I have a feeling I will end up making my own.  I think the Golden Tarot is beautiful.  I will also look up the Touchstone Tarot by the same artist: Kat Black.  But there are also Housewives Tarot, Tarocco Bizzaro or the Bruegel Tarot seem interesting.  

Here is the site I was telling you about:   http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

Again, Thanks everyone!

Claudia, VestraLux, Claudia and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

Ok, wasn't sure where to put this, so I guess this thread is as good as any.

My tarot journey began over 20 years ago, but I am only now starting to study the Thoth. I always shied away from it, for several reasons. Anyway, I have seen the light and am finally embracing this beautiful deck.

My question for all of you: have you trimmed your Thoth? I've seen several people who have trimmed off the borders and rounded the new edges, creating a beautiful deck where the cards flow into one another much better than with the borders in place.

I'm so hesitant to try this myself, though! (And I wouldn't -- not at least until I'm comfortable enough with the deck to not need numbers/titles.)

But I'm curious what your experiences are, and if you've done the same (or would recommend against it, for whatever reason).

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@sistermoon That’s an interesting idea! I love that you are bringing up ideas about this deck that I had never heard about, popular ideas. I hope more people will post here about that deck.

I think it’s going to be a very individual prference.  But if it helps somebody read better, then I think it’s a great idea.  Since I own so many of them I think I will try it with one of my decks, and see if it creates a new different and enriching way to read.

Since I’ve been reading this deck for 30 years and I’ve done thousands of readings with it, I just know it so well the way it is and it would seem naked  to me without the frame.

I think of the frames as a way to peer into a pool of energy, which often looks like an animated video going on inside the pool.  

When we read a card, we are actually reading energy and using the card to stimulate our ability to see that energy. So for me, having a frame enables me to peer into a living phenomenon that’s moving and radiating at me.

That said, being able to get the cards to relate to each other, to be able to feel the flow from one car to the next, is really good for enhancing your reading.

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell

You raise some good points. Right now I find the deck so unfamiliar, I couldn't even tell whether a card is reversed or upright without the border. I'm hopeless at astrological signs (and understanding much of astrology in general), so part of me doesn't worry about losing them, but then I fear I will one day regret not having them.

Maybe I'll just get a second deck so I can have one of each ? 

Lilinoe, Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Noble Member Registered

I've recently brought another tarot deck, this time it's the Grand Luxe deck. At the time I was seeking another deck that seems to be clear as the Raider White Smith for reading, but has certain visuals that appeals to my senses.

I don't know how to describe about my usage of these cards, but out of all the decks I have so far, this one seems to make me understand better within the readings. And it sort of helps that some of the readings with this deck were turn out to be correct. Such that one time when I misplace my personal journal. Not I did find it in a university campus as the cards pointed out, but they indicated I would find some oppotunties during my search, which I found out something that could help me with post-graduate pathway. I guess I'll be using this deck a lot for quite sometime.

I haven't seen the Thoth deck that everyone talks about, I might take a look at it since I'm quite curious.

Lilinoe, BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@goldstone It is so good to find a deck you can relate to and use.  :-) Do you mean Ryder Waite Smith?  Looks like autocorrect is playing with you! 

Lilinoe, Goldstone, Lilinoe and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@sistermoon. Yeah I was gonna say, just get a second deck. I know it's  money, but it seems so worth it to me to see if removing the frames makes a difference. When Rita Harris painted those pictures, I don't think (although I need to check this) the frames were there. 

ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Noble Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell

Probably auto correct did it, I was tired on that night after trying some readings with it, including topical questions that I'm quite curious about. I would take a grain of salt about my readings about those said topical questions for now, as I still have a lot to learn about reading and interpreting effectively. :)

ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

I am currently creating a series of online "flashcards" to help me memorize the Thoth without relying on the titles at the bottom of the frame. I figure there's no point in going borderless until I'm really, really familiar with each and every card. The majors are easy, of course -- but some of those minor cards have me stumped. 

'Tis a good corona project :) 

Drolma, Jeanne Mayell, Goldstone and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@sistermoon I see visions in each other Minor Arcanas which make them so memorable for me. I should sit down and post them for you.  Another way is to "read" the astrological symbols on each card.  Crowley was an astrologer who put astrological aspects on each card.  The colors also help, since they often reflect the element of the card, i.e., earth, air, fire, water. When I was learning the cards, I let myself give Celtic Cross readings with only knowing a few cards.  I always had enough familiar cards in a spread that I could give a good reading.  Gradually the others came into focus for me.  I'm going to teach another set of classes starting at the end of April in which I'll be going through those cards with little stories and ways to really "get" the card.  

BlueBelle and BlueBelle reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mamaly)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi - Haven't posted in a while, but wanted to share some news I read recently about the author of a tarot deck. The author's named Toney Brooks. Apparently he has been posting horrible things (e.g white supremacist, racist, misogynist) on Twitter and Facebook for years it seems. Here is an article that appeared on Patheos about him. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/throughthegrapevine/2020/06/can-you-separate-a-spiritual-author-from-their-non-spiritual-messages/  

I believe the tarot deck he authored is called Chrysalis Tarot. I can't imagine what kinds of creepiness this guy put into the tarot deck. Regardless, for me personally, I would never financially support someone like this buying this tarot deck.

-Mamaly

lenor and lenor reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rowsella)
Noble Member Registered

Hello, I have recently been getting into the Tarot--dipping my toes so to speak and plan to immerse myself more deliberately after my classes wind up at the end of August.

I had a very hard time in the last couple of weeks concentrating because of my shoulder pain (feeling much improved now) and thus ended up watching a lot of YouTube card readers for entertainment. I watched how they did readings, how they intuited the cards, the decks they used (could see the cards) and how they clarified different cards and extended their spreads. I still have to learn the cards but I did pick up some commonalities and depending on the deck there are different things to pick up.  I had started it many years ago and then stopped so just am picking it up now, trying to read the materials I have before re-enrolling and ordering more. It is slow going which is fine-- I am still in the beginner phase of the first 3 books. I am also reading what I consider background material-- Egyptian mythology etc. For some reason, I feel very driven to learn astrology, tarot, and meditation techniques to elevate my frequency/vibrational level.

Regarding decks-- I have ordered a few and am playing around with them. I have the Toth- have not really gotten into it but it does have a very cool energy to it. A mini Smith Rider Wait, the traditional Rider-Waite (but large), the Morgan (love the saturated colors on these cards) etc. I just received a deck of The Good Tarot of which I love the colors warm, cool--it is elemental and the artwork/imagery is really beautiful. I'll post more here as I come up with conclusions and when Jeanne starts a new tarot class I am signing up!

lenor, Share, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: