Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Tarot Decks  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
09/21/2018 1:06 pm  

Ha!  You are gifted.  We are grateful and blessed to receive your gift.  

Matt and VestraLux liked
ReplyQuote
(@maria-d-white)
Reputable Member Registered
09/27/2018 7:28 pm  

Matt, the Marseilles deck is one of the oldest. I think it's in fact the first one that was printed, all the decks before were hand-drawn. So it's been the inspiration for most decks since. I think it's great to have it, if only to get a feel for where Tarot has come from. But if anyone is seriously thinking of buying one, I'd advise to look for a cleaned-up version, one that you can clearly see what the drawings are. My one is an original, which means that, for example, on the Wheel of Fortune you can't tell very well what's around the wheel, and that's a pity.

Vestralux, I liked your story about finding the Magician and Strength. I closed my eyes and tried to find a fitting Tarot answer to that. In my mind I saw the Lovers card, Ryder-Waite, with the mountain in the middle and the two trees. But something was still missing. Then I saw another card: the World. I've always seen the four Gospels in there. There are a lot of Biblical connections in the Tarot, I'm sure. You can take the Bible as so much junk. Or as a bunch of stories, a bunch of words, even a bunch of letters. Or as an instruction manual about how somebody can find answers, if one is just willing to look for a new way. Anyway, I don't have anywhere near the talents of other people here, I know. I'm only trying to describe what I see.

Jeanne Mayell, VestraLux, Unk p and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
10/02/2018 1:37 am  

I have enjoyed 'The Fairy Ring' of late, it has gorgeous graphics and some very traditional Celtic lore woven through. Beautiful and accurate readings in a not-so-linear mode.

ReplyQuote
(@maria-d-white)
10/17/2018 3:15 pm  

Just made another interesting find in the Hermetic Library site. By the way, I recommend the Hermetic Library site generally for more information than you could possibly ever want to know about the Golden Dawn and everything related to it.

This deck is a very simple design, just line drawings, and it looks like it's a color-it-yourself deck. I found the symbolism really interesting.

VestraLux liked
ReplyQuote
(@bright-opal)
Estimable Member Registered
10/17/2018 6:55 pm  

Hello Vestralux. I think you might be able to get Le Tarot Noir, here: 

http://www.renaud-bray.com/books_product.aspx?id=1446496&def=Tarot+noir(Le)%2CTERNEL%2C+JUSTINE%2C9782858296187

It says they are in the process of re-stocking.

VestraLux liked
ReplyQuote
(@vestralux)
Honorable Member Registered
10/17/2018 7:04 pm  

Bright Opal, oh my goodness, thank you! I'm so happy to see this.

And Maria, this is excellent too. Although, I may never get anything done again. (Bookmarking and hiding from myself.)

ReplyQuote
(@bright-opal)
10/17/2018 11:20 pm  

I've been reading this thread and most of it is above my head, heck all of it.  But I have a feeling, actually I know!, this is a meditation process that could be healing for me.  I have the Gilded Tarot and the Thoth. Although there is nothing wrong with it, I find the Gilded Tarot have things missing in the cards.  As for the Thoth, I just can't get into it.  So I haven't found "my" Tarot deck yet.

My faith is based on the catholic doctrine.  Meaning I may be catholic but I choose to live my faith my own way.  My faith is important to me.  So I am looking for some kind of Christian Tarot deck.  I also like a little bit of humour in everything I do.  I find it helps me stay positive, which can be challenging from time to time.  

I saw the Tarot of the Saints, but looking at a picture of Saint-Anthony of Padoue won't tell me much about what the cards are trying to tell me.  I think the Angels Tarot decks would be the same thing.   Unless you have a different opinion, if so, please tell me.   

I am comfortable with the 78 cards decks but maybe I need to look at something else.  I looked at oracles, but I don't know how to read them.  The word "Oracle" intimidates me.  It could be for lack of understanding.

I'm at the point where I've been thinking about drawing my own.  But there are several challenges with that idea, first, I can't draw a stick man to save my life, second I don't have the experience with Tarot, and the knowledge required to do that.  

So, would anyone have  suggestions for me?  Surely, there has to be a Tarot deck out there for me, with a little bit of Christian "values" and some humour.  If not, well, I'll practice drawing stick men and make my own...

Pikake, VestraLux, Michele and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
10/17/2018 11:49 pm  

Eight Ideas:

1. Have you checked out the Ryder Waite?  It is the most popular deck so it has a universal appeal. It's definitely a Christian deck, and although it's not exactly comedy, the energy is lighter than the Thoth.
  2. I love and read the Osho Zen deck but it's not Christian.  It's light, not judgemental, filled with mindfulness wisdom about the mind as a source of happiness and confusion. 
  3. Someone once sent me a baseball tarot deck that was pretty funny. They told me it might help me get my husband into tarot.  It didn't but we got some laughs from it.
  4. I have a Rumi deck that has quotes from the Sufi 13th century poet Rumi on it. Good for getting a message from Rumi.
  5. I also love the medicine cards, not Tarot, but filled with animal guides. 
  6. There must be a comedy deck out there. I use to read some children's alphabet cards that I found.  Images of teddy bears and sugar plums, and helped lighten the energy. 
  7. Bright Opal you might enjoy just reading a regular deck of playing cards.  The starkness of the cards forces you to read energy from them.  
  8. You could make your own deck, even if you can't draw, by cutting and pasting images you like or quotes you feel are helpful. 

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Noble Member Registered Registered
10/18/2018 11:49 am  

Bright Opal, this is my new favorite post of the week! I howled with delight and laughter inside and out! Hooray for you, your honesty and your willingness to go the stick figures route..hahaha ha💜 Love it and you!

My background is Catholic, as well. I've learned and believe thst the innate mysticism creates a lovely gateway for all new understandings and beliefs, but a clear structure for what does not resonate with innate core beliefs and a yearning to create a different look at the early church, the purpose of all holy books and a need to be of service to the Divine using the the sacred energies that we carry.

But yes, I am rereading Jeanne's lovely tips and I have been looking up every tarot deck anyone mentions for My own clarion call to play and learn in new ways I might not yet understand  💜💜💜

ReplyQuote
(@vestralux)
Honorable Member Registered
10/18/2018 4:58 pm  

Bright Opal, I loved your post too! And I may just know a deck you'd like (I don't own it but hope to). It's called The Golden Tarot deck by Kat Black. It has beautiful gilded gold edges and the images on the card are representative of the late Middle Ages/ heart of the Renaissance. They're beautiful and lush with saintly figures in gorgeous vestments and gowns. Golden tones, crimson and ochre, muted cobalt and emerald.

The Magician card in this deck is a compassionate Christ figure or perhaps St. Francis of Assisi. He's surrounded by animals. The Empress is Mother Mary with the Christ child. If you're curious, just do a Google image search for "Golden Tarot Kat Black" and you'll see some of these. It appears to come with quite a thick little guidebook describing each of the cards, their images and symbolism, including both upright and reversed meanings.

Here's a YouTuber reviewing the deck so that you can see more of what it looks like.  https://youtu.be/l-xObjkiGbE

Jeanne's bulleted explainer is perfect. Whatever you end up choosing, all traditional Tarot is deeply symbolic of the Christ story (as well as Kabbalistic teachings! cool, right?). And it's always, always funny. Spirit laughs with us... and often at us (or probably just at me). 😉At least in a compassionate Jedi master kind of way. For example, when I was young and would ask too many self-interested, yes/no type questions back-to-back (e.g., "Should I go out with this guy?" or "Will I get that job?") I tended to receive hilarious smack-downs. The cards might as well have stood up off the table and laughed in my face. I might have been drawing incredibly meaningful insights from the cards all afternoon, but the minute I asked one of those sorts of questions, the cards virtually played dead. They'd either stop making any sense to me at all. Or I'd begin drawing a single card repeatedly, such as the Eight of Swords (a figure is blindfolded and bound) or the Ten of Swords (a figure is lying face down with 10 swords impaled in his back), or even the Death card. I'd panic, interpreting these cards literally (rookie mistake), until I had put them back into the deck, shuffled, and randomly redrawn THE SAME CARD over and over many times. Finally, I'd get the message:

"Girl, you are killing us with these lame questions. The cards are not a matchmaking service! This isn't an employment office! Tarot is not fortune telling—this is for your soul's evolution."

Spirit was simultaneously having a go at my expense and teaching me a valuable lesson.

My guides were probably doing a lot of eye-rolling back then. (Still are, they're telling me.) 

Pikake, Marley, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Noble Member Registered Registered
10/18/2018 8:54 pm  

Awesome Vestralux! I love the sounds of all of that!

We've raised the energy of the site today ❣

It's lighter and brighter. I thinks it's all our cracks we made. Right on 🌱🌱❣❣🌻🌻

ReplyQuote
(@bright-opal)
10/21/2018 9:42 pm  

I apologize for not responding earlier.  I want to thank you all for your answers. 

Michele, I'm glad I was able to make you laugh with my stick figures.  😀  I love to see humour in everything, it helps me a lot in seeing the positive in all things, see the glass 1/2 full instead of the other way around.  However it doesn't mean I won't take things seriously.  So I'm glad you were able to discern that as well.

Thank you for re-enforcing what I believe I can do with my newly re-discovered gift.  We have been made to believe Tarot goes against the beliefs of the Church.  It's a good thing I use the catholic church for what I need, not the other way around.  It gives me the freedom and openness to other spiritual and mystical paths.  So I will continue to follow my heart as you all encourage me to do.

I love the suggestions and will continue to research them.  I found a site with suggestions on different Tarot decks. 

Vestralux, I laugh so hard when I read your story with your earlier Tarot experiences.  That is so me!  Yep!  I was and sometime am still doing that!

Jeanne, as usual, your suggestions are golden!  I may have to go with different Tarot decks until I find "The One".  I have a feeling I will end up making my own.  I think the Golden Tarot is beautiful.  I will also look up the Touchstone Tarot by the same artist: Kat Black.  But there are also Housewives Tarot, Tarocco Bizzaro or the Bruegel Tarot seem interesting.  

Here is the site I was telling you about:   http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

Again, Thanks everyone!

Claudia and VestraLux liked
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
03/11/2020 9:43 am  

Ok, wasn't sure where to put this, so I guess this thread is as good as any.

My tarot journey began over 20 years ago, but I am only now starting to study the Thoth. I always shied away from it, for several reasons. Anyway, I have seen the light and am finally embracing this beautiful deck.

My question for all of you: have you trimmed your Thoth? I've seen several people who have trimmed off the borders and rounded the new edges, creating a beautiful deck where the cards flow into one another much better than with the borders in place.

I'm so hesitant to try this myself, though! (And I wouldn't -- not at least until I'm comfortable enough with the deck to not need numbers/titles.)

But I'm curious what your experiences are, and if you've done the same (or would recommend against it, for whatever reason).

Thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
03/11/2020 10:28 am  

@sistermoon That’s an interesting idea! I love that you are bringing up ideas about this deck that I had never heard about, popular ideas. I hope more people will post here about that deck.

I think it’s going to be a very individual prference.  But if it helps somebody read better, then I think it’s a great idea.  Since I own so many of them I think I will try it with one of my decks, and see if it creates a new different and enriching way to read.

Since I’ve been reading this deck for 30 years and I’ve done thousands of readings with it, I just know it so well the way it is and it would seem naked  to me without the frame.

I think of the frames as a way to peer into a pool of energy, which often looks like an animated video going on inside the pool.  

When we read a card, we are actually reading energy and using the card to stimulate our ability to see that energy. So for me, having a frame enables me to peer into a living phenomenon that’s moving and radiating at me.

That said, being able to get the cards to relate to each other, to be able to feel the flow from one car to the next, is really good for enhancing your reading.

TriciaCT liked
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
03/11/2020 5:13 pm  

@jeanne-mayell

You raise some good points. Right now I find the deck so unfamiliar, I couldn't even tell whether a card is reversed or upright without the border. I'm hopeless at astrological signs (and understanding much of astrology in general), so part of me doesn't worry about losing them, but then I fear I will one day regret not having them.

Maybe I'll just get a second deck so I can have one of each 🤣 

ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Trusted Member
03/15/2020 2:07 am  

I've recently brought another tarot deck, this time it's the Grand Luxe deck. At the time I was seeking another deck that seems to be clear as the Raider White Smith for reading, but has certain visuals that appeals to my senses.

I don't know how to describe about my usage of these cards, but out of all the decks I have so far, this one seems to make me understand better within the readings. And it sort of helps that some of the readings with this deck were turn out to be correct. Such that one time when I misplace my personal journal. Not I did find it in a university campus as the cards pointed out, but they indicated I would find some oppotunties during my search, which I found out something that could help me with post-graduate pathway. I guess I'll be using this deck a lot for quite sometime.

I haven't seen the Thoth deck that everyone talks about, I might take a look at it since I'm quite curious.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
03/15/2020 3:30 pm  

@goldstone It is so good to find a deck you can relate to and use.  🙂 Do you mean Ryder Waite Smith?  Looks like autocorrect is playing with you! 

Lilinoe and Goldstone liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
03/15/2020 3:35 pm  

@sistermoon. Yeah I was gonna say, just get a second deck. I know it's  money, but it seems so worth it to me to see if removing the frames makes a difference. When Rita Harris painted those pictures, I don't think (although I need to check this) the frames were there. 

ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Trusted Member
03/16/2020 8:44 am  

@jeanne-mayell

Probably auto correct did it, I was tired on that night after trying some readings with it, including topical questions that I'm quite curious about. I would take a grain of salt about my readings about those said topical questions for now, as I still have a lot to learn about reading and interpreting effectively. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
03/16/2020 9:21 am  

I am currently creating a series of online "flashcards" to help me memorize the Thoth without relying on the titles at the bottom of the frame. I figure there's no point in going borderless until I'm really, really familiar with each and every card. The majors are easy, of course -- but some of those minor cards have me stumped. 

'Tis a good corona project 🙂 

Drolma, Jeanne Mayell, Goldstone and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
03/20/2020 12:18 am  

@sistermoon I see visions in each other Minor Arcanas which make them so memorable for me. I should sit down and post them for you.  Another way is to "read" the astrological symbols on each card.  Crowley was an astrologer who put astrological aspects on each card.  The colors also help, since they often reflect the element of the card, i.e., earth, air, fire, water. When I was learning the cards, I let myself give Celtic Cross readings with only knowing a few cards.  I always had enough familiar cards in a spread that I could give a good reading.  Gradually the others came into focus for me.  I'm going to teach another set of classes starting at the end of April in which I'll be going through those cards with little stories and ways to really "get" the card.  

BlueBelle liked
ReplyQuote
(@mamaly)
06/28/2020 1:34 pm  

Hi - Haven't posted in a while, but wanted to share some news I read recently about the author of a tarot deck. The author's named Toney Brooks. Apparently he has been posting horrible things (e.g white supremacist, racist, misogynist) on Twitter and Facebook for years it seems. Here is an article that appeared on Patheos about him. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/throughthegrapevine/2020/06/can-you-separate-a-spiritual-author-from-their-non-spiritual-messages/  

I believe the tarot deck he authored is called Chrysalis Tarot. I can't imagine what kinds of creepiness this guy put into the tarot deck. Regardless, for me personally, I would never financially support someone like this buying this tarot deck.

-Mamaly

Lenor liked
ReplyQuote
(@rowsella)
07/03/2020 6:21 am  

Hello, I have recently been getting into the Tarot--dipping my toes so to speak and plan to immerse myself more deliberately after my classes wind up at the end of August.

I had a very hard time in the last couple of weeks concentrating because of my shoulder pain (feeling much improved now) and thus ended up watching a lot of YouTube card readers for entertainment. I watched how they did readings, how they intuited the cards, the decks they used (could see the cards) and how they clarified different cards and extended their spreads. I still have to learn the cards but I did pick up some commonalities and depending on the deck there are different things to pick up.  I had started it many years ago and then stopped so just am picking it up now, trying to read the materials I have before re-enrolling and ordering more. It is slow going which is fine-- I am still in the beginner phase of the first 3 books. I am also reading what I consider background material-- Egyptian mythology etc. For some reason, I feel very driven to learn astrology, tarot, and meditation techniques to elevate my frequency/vibrational level.

Regarding decks-- I have ordered a few and am playing around with them. I have the Toth- have not really gotten into it but it does have a very cool energy to it. A mini Smith Rider Wait, the traditional Rider-Waite (but large), the Morgan (love the saturated colors on these cards) etc. I just received a deck of The Good Tarot of which I love the colors warm, cool--it is elemental and the artwork/imagery is really beautiful. I'll post more here as I come up with conclusions and when Jeanne starts a new tarot class I am signing up!

Lenor, Share and FEBbby23 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: