Scientists establis...

Notifications
Clear all

Scientists establish link, brain damage-religious fundamentalism

(@iogazer)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scientists-established-link-brain-damage-religious-fundamentalism

Couldn't resist, but not exactly reassuring, as human fore brain being 'trumped' by animal limbic brain means this kind of  reactive thinking is prelogical, hard to alter with facts, compassion, etc.

Read abstract here (and remember-no bots for me, thanks- verify sources before posting anything re-actively)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028393217301318

ReplyQuote
(@yogurtmaster)
Active Member Registered

I am religious and I can't take this seriously.  Not just because it's offensive, but because of stuff like this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/fury-at-dna-pioneers-theory-africans-are-less-intelligent-than-westerners-394898.html

Yeah, I am going to need to see some verifiable studies on this that are peer reviewed.    I don't like Trump either and I believe in climate change.

But when someone says that I am brain damaged because I believe that a rational world can't be done by magical randomness, then I have to loose interest in what they are saying.   Sorry, I just can't trust people that just believe in dumb flat earth type stuff.  I don't have time to waste on people that can't understand how complex the world is for random magical fairy tales.

ReplyQuote
(@zoron)
Illustrious Member Registered

Well, I am a Buddhist, actually. also have a fairly high IQ. Brain damage, and low IQ ratings, do go together, although not always. The Social Conservatism basis is also  now well understood and proven. Likewise, low educational attainment also maps fairly well onto fanaticism and brain damage.It is not just religious fanaticism, it is also political fanaticism. Also, extreme ideologies tend to reprogram the brain, and you get cognitive dissonance. (This is basically a polite way of saying that a lot of extreme Republicans are a walking nightmare of bigotry, race hatred, trailer trash level education, and such like things. I think they call them rednecks. The form the hard line Republican base. Bluntly, we are dealing with an unsolvable massive crisis of clinically and culturally abnormal right wing dangerous violent fanatics. There is no known cure. By the time they get grown up, they are in a fixed state, and then they inculcate into their children the same cultural and social memes and beliefs. Extreme alt right personalities can be created, by family indoctrination and control of the children. From the outside, it looks like child abuse. It is child abuse. Mix in the whole issue of Patriarchy, violence, social intolerance, etc etc. You also have to face the fact that people like the NRA gun crazies are just another sub-species of these critters, another faction, and they are a serious danger to any kind of democracy and social and political freedom. The more extreme Christian Cults in America are a prime example of this. What we are dealing with here, is social and cultural and genetic identification of a major sub-group, in society, where all these characteristics overlap and combine, into socially and politically lethal social groups, that are now causing a severe crisis to the future existence of any kind of rational, liberal, multicultural society, not just in America, but in most Western States. The Alt-Right is now emerging strongly inside the European Union, and following down the American track. In the UK, they are dominating the BREXIT issue, and causing massive social and political damage. At the moment, they control resources, and are led  by the oligarchs, who are advancing relentlessly to wards Fascism, and a horrible future. at the moment, they are winning. They are the enemy who are already within the gates. I fear the worst.

LalaBella, BlueBelle, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rose-mary)
New Member Registered

Couldn' have said it better....

ReplyQuote
Share: