Clear all

Will good win?

44 Posts
17 Users
494 Likes
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@journeywithme2

Thanks for posting about the case in this context.  I believe  am seeing more and more people being held accountable.  Cosby was one of the first and seems to have led the way.  

I think that we are at a turning point of holding the powerful accountable.  If Trump and those connected to him do in fact fall, it will be a big sign that anyone can and should be held accountable for their actions.  It just might take a long time to fully manifest.

Isabelle, lenor, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@allyn)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures

I think this case is important because it is helping to redefine what rape and assault is.  For so long, people have this naïve belief that rape can only happen when a stranger grabs a girl in a dark alley and forces himself on her while she screams and tries to fight back.  Rape where the parties are married wasn't recognized for so long.  Likewise, if a victim was drunk or unconscious, it wasn't considered rape.

Not so anymore.  As you said, Cosby was a begining, when the public woke up to the fact that rape can and does occur when a man drugs a woman to the point that she is paralized (something I have always believed, by the way).  There is a slow but steady recognition that the state of the victim (married, drunk by choice, drugged by third party, etc.) does not matter as much, thus hopefully moving away from "victim shaming."

Now, a new category of sexual assault is emerging.  Now, it is being recognized that men in power are using their influence to coerce women to have sex with them.  These men use their influence to force women into unwanted sexual contact.  If they refuse or resist, then they retaliate by ruining their victims' reputations and/or careers.  The victims are often made to feel ashamed (did I send out the wrong signals) or frightened (if I don't do what he says, he will come after me.)  There is also this prevalent culture that it is expected for men of power to "influence" women to have sex with them.

As far as I am concerned, people who use their positions to coerce others into doing something they wouldn't want to do ordinarily are just as disgusting as the monsters who grab their victims and drag them down dark alleys.  Let this case be yet another sign that women (and the true "men" who stand beside their mothers, sisters, daughters, wives, etc.) will find justice from these high powered yet low-life scum who operate in the shadows of our society.  Let the light come and drive them out!

Isabelle, lenor, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminata)
Noble Member Registered

Hell yes - Good will WIN!  But not always.

It's not going to win uncontested, because that precludes the definition of a win. 

We can't see darkness without light, we can't see light without darkness.  

We aren't going to learn without direct experience.  Talk to those who deny the holocaust, who going further back, don't understand what happened when Rome fell and why.  Talk to my son who has had a golden path laid before him, and instead chosen the path of adversity.

No one appreciates the bad without the good.  No one appreciates the good without the bad.

There will always be a pendulum swing on good and bad.  There will always be personal and communal determinations on who is winning for now.

Good will win out in the long run. Otherwise, what's the point in repetitive lessons the world has faced?  We DO get it and pass it down to others who DO get it.  Fractional process. Lots of time and iterations involved.  

We're getting there.

Balance is key, but is always moving towards the greater good.

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Claire and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

I dont know where to post this but 

Sweden and Austria have closed down there last coal powered factories (2 years ahead of schedule)

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/in-one-week-both-sweden-and-austria-celebrated-the-closing-of-their-last-coal-plants/

deetoo, FEBbby23, TriciaCT and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@claire)
Honorable Member Registered

@laynara, Thank You for the Good News of the day!  It is so nice to see other countries leading by example, while the U.S. seems no longer capable.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@laynara

I am so glad you posted this in this particular forum.  I has been so long since we posted normal ( non- Covid) good news, sometime before the lockdown happened in the US.

So thanks for this bit of good normalcy news.

FEBbby23, deetoo, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

Pakistan hires thousands of newly unemployed to work on planting trees

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/pakistan-hires-laborers-for-planting-10-billion-tree/

FEBbby23, deetoo, Lovendures and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laynara. Wow, that just made my day!  Thank you, sweet one.

FEBbby23, deetoo, Laynara and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

I thought I would share this little piece of news ?

Dubai Solar Farm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popularmechanics.com/science/amp30266828/worlds-cheapest-solar-farm/

ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions Estimated Dropped 8% 

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/global-emissions-to-fall-by-8-percent-in-2020/

Stargazer, FEBbby23, BlueBelle and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laynara. Thank you for finding this amazing piece of news. Never in a million years could anyone have imagined this could happen voluntarily.  Now how to keep it going down, down, down. 

Stargazer, FEBbby23, BlueBelle and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

@laynara. Thank you for finding this amazing piece of news. Never in a million years could anyone have imagined this could happen voluntarily.  Now how to keep it going down, down, down. 

I completely agree! Seeing that it can happen will hopefully motivate others to help our environment

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Hi Everyone!

I would love to hear your own feedback on the poll below.  

In the Eco article in which @laynara posted a link above,  I found the way in which people noted changes in their daily lives interesting.  I am aware of differences  in mine as well and was wondering if our community members here noted any changes as well. 

ECO-FRIENDLY CHANGES RESPONDENTS HAVE MADE SINCE COVID-19 STARTED
1. Reduced the amount of food they’re wasting 44%
2. Used paper products more sparingly 43%
3. Been more careful of where they buy meat 38%
4. Shopped more sustainably 36%
5. Recycled more often 36%
6. Reduced my water usage 35%
7. Video chatting instead of traveling to see friends and family 29%
8. Reduced my commute 28%
9. Used time to read books instead of solely streaming shows 25%
10. Started using a community garden—or their own garden 19%

For me (or my family in general) I would agree with almost everything listed.  I am WAY more conscious of how I use food, much less waist.  I am also very aware of paper consumption. While I haven't started a new garden, I have spent more time working in mine.  I haven't read more actual books, though I bought one to read recently and I am on my computer less in general.  Also, while I am not recycling more per say, I am up-cycling more and reusing items in different ways.

Unfortunately my water usage has increased. We already are very conscious of how we use water as desert dwellers, but we are eating at home more which means washing more dishes.  I have had my college attending daughter at home since the virus too which means more water usage( showers and laundry).  Lastly, we are all washing our hands more often.  

Another thing which we did before the pandemic was bring our own reusable bags to the grocery store which isn't allowed anymore, understandably.  Figuring out how to use the bags now entering my home is a bit challenging.  Sometimes I throw them away because I don't want to take the chance of Covid entering my home.  Other times I will let the plastic ones sit in my garage for awhile and reuse them as doggie poop bags for when I take my dog for a walk.  

An additional change noticed is our lack of buying new items across, the board.   No new clothes for 2 months now, when we purchase non-food items, they tend to be for the betterment of the family, like a 2,000 piece puzzle or crafting activities.  We are also making continued purchases that "support" businesses or causes we care about.  The occasional restaurant "to go" orders are from places we appreciate for their thoughtful food sources and how they treat their employees.  I have avoided Amazon entirely so far.  Intentionally.  

The month of May finds our household celebrating 2 birthdays and Mother's Day.  We have honored these special occasions with a smaller footprint than normal but with outreach to our friends and relatives across the country by celebrating with them on Zoom and getting creative in doing so.  For instance, we had a virtual Mother's Day tea with my mom which was a lot of fun.

So, what have you noticed in your own homes?

FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell, gbs and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 gbs
(@gbs)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures

I've been cooking almost all my meals at home since the lockdown began. Every other week or so, I'll buy soup or a sandwich from the cafe on my corner, if I'm tired and just don't want to cook that day, but also to support the cafe (whose owners live a block over from me, a truly local business!). It's shocking how much I was spending on prepared foods before, and I don't intend to go back to those wasteful ways once I return to the office. I'm eating healthier than I have in years–lots more vegetables and fruit–even though my bread and sweets consumption has gone up a bit (as a stress reliever and out of boredom).

I've been reducing my meat intake over the course of the past year, but the stories of the workers in the meat-packing plants have made me resolve more than ever to limit how much meat I consume and, when I do eat meat, to know where it comes from.

The only things I've spent money on besides bills and food are my ongoing language lessons, a few books and a small appliance, and birthday gifts for family members and a colleague. It looks like our office may be working from home until August, so I'll be spending a minimal amount on summer clothes. I'm not sure when I'll feel secure going to the salon to get my hair done. And any larger purchases are on hold until I see how the economy goes. 

deetoo, FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lovendures I love this thread. Also @laynara, I love all your posts here!  It all makes me so happy.

I find that I'm using home remedies rather than buying things pre-made. Today I decided to clean some hand-woven rugs which had been rolled up in the garage. I didn't want to go to the hardware store for rug cleaner. So instead I looked up online for a home recipe for rug cleaners and discovered that I have all the ingredients!  Did you know that Windex is perfect for cleaning rugs?  But I didn't use it.  I had better things that were getting old in the cupboard.  I used a mixture of laundry detergent, white vinegar, essential oil, spot remover, and hot water. The rugs look great!  The essential oils got some use and the spot remover had been sitting around for 20 years. 

As for my veggie garden, I'm using more seeds this year rather than buying little plants in flats.  That means less plastic pots, less cost, less driving to garden nurseries and less likely to plant veggies I don't eat but they're cool and I thought I'd just watch them grow.  I'm going to plant spinach and lettuce and herbs in waves this time from seed so I have a continuous harvest to enjoy all summer. And I'm harvesting the seeds from the plants we eat, like cucumbers and squash, rather than going to the store and buying seed packs. Yay.

FEBbby23, Laynara, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell I'm glad they make you smile, they also brought joy to my heart knowing there is good out there ?

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

US approves solar project 

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/us-government-approves-gemini-project/

ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures

I've noticed we use less water

Recycle (we have always done this so not new)

Made less clothing purchases (except for tunic tops with pockets and stretch pants lol)

Use less makeup and hair spray

(spend less money)

Walk more

Reading more

Planting a "deck garden" of tomatoes, small peppers and about 6 herbs

Haven't driven my car in 2 months, so unfortunately found out the battery is dead so have to replace it LOL

Use less gasoline

Cook more and even baked bread for the first time!

Waste less food (freeze left overs or use them for lunch since we are home)

Shop more sustainably

Thanks for this thread! ? ? 

Lovendures, Laynara, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures thank you for starting this ?

We spend more time together as a family

We use less water and when there is water laying around somewhere I try to water my flower with it.

We have started eating less

we have been paying more attention to nature and its beauty

we only make shopping trios if necessary

I have started getting out my books and would rather read, we don't have Wi-Fi since we moved and signal out here is terrible, but at the same time its a blessing.

I call my family more often than before 

Lovendures, TriciaCT, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: