Metacognition and Extremism  

RSS

(@laura-f)
Registered
06/07/2019 4:08 pm  

Great article from Popular Science. It's nice to see that there are scientists working towards creating more positivity in modern societies, I find it hopeful and it echoes many of the predictions on here.

If you don't have time to read the article, bottom line is that those with lower metacognition (the ability to think bout how you think) tend to be more extremist in their views, more confident in their own correctness, and possibly less trustful of objective truths.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/people-with-extreme-political-views-have-trouble-thinking-about-their-own-thinking?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Marley, Jeanne Mayell, Tiger-n-Owl and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b-here-in-the-forum)
06/08/2019 6:24 pm  

Haven't even had a chance to read the article yet, but I totally agree!  😉

Love, light, and healing prayers,
💜 MIchele

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b-here-in-the-forum)
06/08/2019 9:51 pm  

Laura F. 

Great article!

Short and easy to read but sure made its point.  Everyone I can think of in this category fits it and the findings to a "T".

Gives me a lot to think about during future discussions or comments from others and perhaps even some potentional  short cuts and get arounds for rerouting a "one sided conversation".

Love, light, and healing prayers,
💜 MIchele

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Admin
07/06/2019 10:20 pm  

Somehow I missed this important topic when you posted it Laura.  Just seeing it now. 

Really helpful concept and good article.

Makes me feel better about how much I question everything. 

Then on another note, it still doesn’t explain the majority of  Republicans I know who seem normal and healthy except for their political beliefs.  Is it from brainwashing (from  right wing media?)

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Registered
07/07/2019 10:27 pm  

The article explains that, in that those with lower metacognition are probably also more prone to brain-washing, but bottom line, the article stresses that the lower metacognition results in part in an inability to recognize objective truths. So there you have it.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Share: