Notifications
Clear all

Good News, Good People, Good Ideas

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

This is wonderful, Lovendures! Free oyster shells pickup from a number of major restaurants aid the recycling movement and aquaculture for future oyster habitat! Win-win!

Jeanne Mayell, RosieHeart, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)
Illustrious Member Moderator

So, this may sound silly, but I am sitting here working at home and watching the Today Show. It is International Day of the Girl today and they had Michelle Obama on speaking and are having concerts there in the plaza with various women artists and stories of women leaders who are doing great things in their communities. All I could think of as I was watching and listening was, they are raising the vibration! This is inspiring and encouraging in a time when the news, etc., is so dark. This is just filled with light and inspiration and energy. I am loving it and the world needs it so much right now! The rise of the feminine, indeed!

Jeanne Mayell, TaG22, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered

Here's a story that inspired me yesterday.   A 98 year old woman who still volunteers at a local shelter for victims of domestic abuse in Minnesota.  

http://www.kimt.com/content/news/98-year-old-Rochester-woman-recognized-for-volunteer-work-496524001.html

Jeanne Mayell, Bee, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

That is amazing RosieHeart! As a lifelong volunteer, I know the energy and commitment it takes and 98 is above and beyond. Bless that dear woman's heart ? May she continue to be a beacon and shine her light for many more people!

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

What a story.  Wow.  I love everything about it. That it originated with high school kids, that a single oyster can clean 50 gallons of water a day, and can even help save NYC from climate flooding. I also love that a local politician is getting tax breaks for restaurants who participate in recycling their oysters.  This is what politicians should be doing.  So nice. 

Unk p, TaG22, Michele and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

This is just a really dear story thst made the news this week in memory of Albert Lexie.

Albert Lexie was a very special man who shined shoes with a small purple cart for 30 years of his life but a truly good man who will never be forgotten.

Albert shined shoes at the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.  He saved all of his tips every day for all of his years of work and donated them back to the free children's section of the hospital so that no child should ever go untreated because of the inability to pay.

By his death after 30 years of working there, he had left behind over $200,000 in donations. All just by donating his tips from a simple little purple shoe shine stand in the lobby.

Albert was a beloved member of the Pittsburgh Children's Hospital family and he will always be remembered for his kindness and generosity.

A good man doing great deeds in his own humble but very caring ways.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/10/16/childrens-hospital-shoeshine-man-albert-lexie-dies/

Jeanne Mayell, Grace, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

LOVE this one.

In a' historic moment' for climate action, Wales pledges to leave its remaining coal in the ground.

Wales' new proposed plan to reject all future coal mining applications is set to be finalized by the end of the year, a government spokesperson https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-45887196%2 0" target="_blank" rel="noopener">told the BBC last week, as part of the country's new energy strategy which will aim to ensur

https://www.organicconsumers.org/blog/wales-fossil-fuel-pledge?fbclid=IwAR0Ah7973ENv3FnMirq7ek9vKOJZzfdoWxrUfxX7w2rfhCYP-uvdv4USKSI

Jeanne Mayell, Grace, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Wow, that's a wonderful news. Kudos to Wales! The US might be failing the rest of the world with the lack of environmental leadership and responsibility but we just might be inspiring others to be better, do better in the ways they know can impact their own leadership and responsibility.

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

David Simpson is donating his kidney to a young woman this month and their story is so much more than one amazing humanitarian helping another.

It is a longer story and worth reading about in detail. David Simpson, 57, and his wife Kathy, 56, have pushed the boundaries of their lives and what they felt called to do.

In 2010, they began helping friends of their son's, Santiago. It was SO meaningful that David quit his job and dedicated his life to helping other young people.

Soon, they had 8 extra young people in their home and when all their 3 bedrooms kn a modest house were full, they convinced neighbors to take on a few more.

They also help an extended family of about 40 through a non-profit they created called "All Our Kids" or AOL! And amazingly have been supported by those like Go-to Ma, Joshua Bell, and Citizen Cope.

AOK is now supporting 40 students in college and many more in a variety of different ways. All from one good man, with one very good idea, spreading out into the world by helping and  connecting with others.

Along the way, one of the kids currently living in his home needed a kidney so David Simpson got tested. Against the odds, he was, of course, a match. Last week this young woman was given the gift of life by a good man who had offered her a place in his heart, and in  his home. 

A good man, doing great things, one helpful person at a time now exponentially becoming greater and greater, bigger and bigger and doing even more good out into his world,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/they-opened-their-home-to-dozens-of-young-people-then-he-learned-he-could-give-one-more-thing-a-kidney/ar-BBOy8eP

Jeanne Mayell, Bee, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Read the whole story. Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing Michele!

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Did you laugh at my post where autocorrect changed their AOK acronym to AOL and I didn't notice ?

Laughter is good for the soul and so are all of the wonderful stories we share!?

Bee and Bee reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

This story is fantastic!

A German woman was hiking  The Pacific Crest Trail alone and got trapped in a snowstorm.  She new she was going to die and phoned her family to say goodbye. 

"Gröne, of Germany, started her journey on the PCT at the Mexican Border in May, and she was committed to make it to Canada.

She met Nancy Abell at Lake Susan Jane in Washington on October 22, and Abell offered her a ride to Stevens Pass, a popular mountain resort. The two hiked around the area for about two hours, before Gröne decided to head north.

Up to 3 feet of snow was expected where Gröne was headed.
After the weather started getting worse, Abell checked the weather and her maps, and pinpointed where Gröne might be before calling 911.

"I couldn't sleep the night before because I was so worried about her," Abell said. "Anybody, really I would have done the same thing for if I thought they were in peril up there, because I've been through it and it's terrifying."

While on Glacier Peak, Gröne lost shelter equipment and two sets of gloves as the snow and sleet closed in.
The rescue team was on its last scan before running out of fuel, according to Bill Quistorf, the chief pilot for the sheriff's office.

"The biggest thing, which I have struggled with before I started the PCT, was faith in humanity," Gröne said.  While Gröne was stuck in the mountains she was asking why no one cares about anyone else.
"My faith in humanity? Definitely restored, so box checked," Gröne said in the press conference, sitting next to the former strangers who saved her life."

More on this story can be found here:

Unk p, TaG22, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

This is about all three things, Good News, People and Ideas.

The  Greek Island of Lesvos has been front and center during the refugee crisis for many years now.  The people of that island have been amazing, truly compassionate and loving, especially since the Greek islanders have had little themselves.  I have been following their story since the crisis began. The conditions of some of the camps in Lesvos are  currently pretty dire due to what else?  Politics.  This award honors the people of the island.

The award "is a recognition of the sacrifices, courage and solidarity with which the residents of the island have reacted to the unprecedented humanitarian crisis of 2015," the mayor of Lesvos Spiros Galinos told the Athens-Macedonian News Agency.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/234274/article/ekathimerini/community/greek-islanders-to-receive-inaugural-john-mccain-prize-for-refugee-crisis-response?fbclid=IwAR2Zbzi8apt0l9bndWc9UJAA8NTsW-prBrJco7h-uIA5QMH0dSUI_hnv5v0

Unk p, CDeanne, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Sorry, forgot to state the actual award.

The people of the Greek island of Lesvos are poised to receive the inaugural John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service for their response to the refugee crisis.

Unk p, Sophie, TaG22 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

I was thinking about Christmas yesterday and wishing my tree was already up with lights and carols playing from the stereo.

I turned on the music set to #27 and it had moved up to my Christmas cds! Yes!! I told my husband it wasn't me it was synchronicity and now I had to play them!  (Haha)

So, when I looked for good news today,  I found my "Christmas Lights" in headline in the Kansas City Star. And now I'm feeling all happy and shiny inside and out. 

Good News,  Good People,  Love and Joy...read the whole thing!

"Nebraska town loved this firefighter's Christmas lights. After he died, they put them up."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/nebraska-town-loved-this-firefighters-christmas-lights-after-he-died-they-put-them-up/ar-BBPhkPO

BlueBelle, Sophie, TaG22 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Good news regarding Alzheimers disease.  Meditation and music may help

A research team led by Dr. Kim Innes, a professor in the West Virginia University School of Public Health, has found that a simple meditation or music listening program may alter certain biomarkers of cellular aging and Alzheimer's Disease in older adults who are experiencing memory loss. Study findings, reported in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, also suggest these changes may be directly related to improvements in memory and cognition, sleep, mood, and quality of life.life. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-11-meditation-music-blood-markers-cellular.html#nRlv

Unk p, BlueBelle, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

I posted about share tables at schools in the past.  Here is a fantastic article about how the Oakland School District repurposes un-eaten food so it doesn't become food waist.

https://thefern.org/2018/11/how-oakland-became-a-leader-in-cutting-school-food-waste/

Muriel, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Lovendures,

Thank you for finding this wonderful site and this amazing sustainability, use share and reuse idea for school lunch programs.

May it spread and grow everywhere! 

Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Lovendures, What a great program. I sent the article to my town's Natural Resources committee to see they've considered this for our schools. 

Michele and Michele reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Turns out my little town is doing similar food recovery in the schools that they do in Oakland. In fact we teach other towns how to do it. I got this response from a neighbor who heads (as a volunteer) our town's environmental projects when I suggested we try the Oakland project:

Hi Jeanne, Turns out we are a recognized leader in this initiative. A resident conceived of it years ago and worked with MASS EPA and departments throughout town and the schools to bring it to fruition. Our town recently hosted a how-to  forum for other towns that want to do the same. Please see the link below which describes this Herculean effort fueled by many volunteers and dedicated creative staff. 

Our town’s food waste collection at the Recycling & Disposal Facility turns scraps into biofuel, too - less trash in the landfills! It’s great because you can toss in meats, bones, cheeses - things you can’t compost in your yard. I now have one small bin of trash a week - and it’s all dry so no need to use plastic trash bags! 

Michele, our family has been dropping all food refuse into a biofuel bin for a year now. Every scrap goes to the recycling facility every weekend. We use to compost it for the yard, but we were getting too many animal visitors so this biofuel project seems like a good way to go. 

I should also add that we have one of the most comprehensive recycling facilities in the nation.  A few years ago we voted to pay $750,000 for a baler, a machine that compresses and bales recyclables, like plastics, paper, and cardboard so they can be sold on the world market.  We are just a 28,000 person town.  But that baler has paid for itself many times over now that we can sell our recyclables in world markets.

I should add that we don't have garbage service in our town. Everyone takes their garbage to the dump. So it's a meeting place where nearly everything that can be recycled is recycled.  

We have a Take-N-Leave and a Book Drop that are legendary.  You really don't have to buy furniture, toys, garden equipment, or housewares. You can get most of what you need at the Take-N-Leave.

mariad, Michele, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 16
Share: