Notifications
Clear all

Good News, Good People, Good Ideas

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

Struggling Farmers Turn Excess Milk into Cheese for Farmers:

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/struggling-farmers-turn-excess-milk-into-cheese-for-the-hungry/

World's First Pay What You Can Grocery Store

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/worlds-first-pay-what-you-can-grocery-store-it-saves-food-destined-for-trash/

And many more from The Good News Network!

Celticwitch, Jeanne Mayell, Bee and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Changing our wasteful habits, one company at a time. Reducing, reusing, repurposing.

Nike Uses 18 Recycled Plastic Bottles To Make Each New Uniform For The U.S. Women’s Soccer Team:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7122056

Adidas has produced the first ever football jerseys made out of upcycled or reused materials.

The jerseys will be used at the University of Miami football team for their 2018 sports season.  And seen starting with their game against Louisiana state in September.

The uniforms are made 70% out of a raw yarn material that is woven from fishing nets and other kinds of debris recovered from oceanic environments.

Airlines and others are now creating their uniforms and other logo items using similar ideas.

https://www.wsbradio.com/news/national/delta-recycling-old-uniforms-into-backpacks-totes-and-messenger-bags/RQldOecOBDyt9II9IR0rrJ/

Reduce. Remake,  Reuse: good for the environment, our landfills and a good way for all of to look at the waste on our lives and find ways to decrease waste in our lives, in our trash, and in our landfills.

Celticwitch, Jeanne Mayell, Bee and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@maria-d-white)
Noble Member Registered

I'm always wary every time an airline does some sort of green publicity stunt. They know air travel isn't green, so they're keen to show they're green in other ways. I don't think it balances out, though.

Still, it's good to reduce, reuse and recycle whenever possible. And remember it goes in that order. Don't recycle when you could reduce.

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Absolutely, Maria. Businesses are always there to make money and look good in the process. But as you said, it's good in its own way. Wish they'd lower prices as their good deed but helping landfills and the environment is better than nothing good at all!

Hoping doing true good by some will encourage enough others to follow the money and tip many scales to encourage reduction of waste not our seat sizes and leg room!

Jeanne Mayell, Bee, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

New to me, share tables at schools.  Unwanted non-perishable food can be placed on the share table by students and then other students can take what they wish.  This combats food waste and child hunger.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/news/a46885/school-share-tables/

Celticwitch, Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Wow, Lovedures That's just great, I love that.

I can remember as a child only having a sandwich and being done eating and watching others as they ate whole apples, bananas, or even a cookie and trying so quietly to be inconspicuous but yearning to be and have what others had.

Times weren't easy growing up in Alaska in the 50s and 60s. We were lucky to have what we did have, and make do with what we had! Now, i realize it was the best my mom could do with 5 kids needing a sack lunch day after day.

Most schools here in Oregon are so afraid of shared food in schools we havent been to have home baked goods for school parties. Fear of allergies, germs, dangers of lawsuits because of "Risk Management" now.  

But on the positive side, we do have free paperbag lunches all summer long and every day,  in parks and schools for anyone who needs one, no questions asked.

During these times there are many kids who frankly aren't provided or don't have food in their houses due to lack of money at different times.

Statistically,  many kids report it was their only meal of the day.  And districts started a simple and small but free sack lunch available for kids without any lunch at all at school.

ReplyQuote
 Blue
(@blue)
Honorable Member Registered

Thanks for those links Michele, such a positive website. That's much needed amongst all the news stories of gloom and doom!:)

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Thank you, Blue. I loved discovering that site. There are a number that I subscribe too just for the reminder and uplift.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Michele, thanks for sharing your story about growing up in a Alaska.  I think it is wonderful when schools have something for those who point have a lunch.n I think a share table can work well with non perishable food which is packaged or fresh fruit.  SO many lessons are able to be learned from a share table.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Well, I searched for good news today (much needed) and found this awesome fact.

Katherine Johnson ( the NASA human computer) celebrates her 100th birthday today.  A very Happy Birthday to Ms. Johnson, an icon for so many.

https://www.space.com/41638-katherine-johnson-celebrates-100th-birthday.html

Michele, Jeanne Mayell, Michele and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

As a means of helping couples to blend volunteerism and romance, Do Good Date Night has made a list of ten things that you can do to use connective date nights to impact worthy causes.

The innovation 2-for-1 solution of Do Good Date Nights result in unique couple-centered activities that are engaging, enjoyable and satisfying for participants, while also being purposeful and impactful to charities.

Since the event was launched in 2015 by Kristen Manieri, a writer and podcast host who founded a national network of date night websites, the concept of philanthropic date nights has since spread across the country.

RELATED: Divorce Lawyer Shares What He’s Learned From Failed Marriages –and Why He Still Believes It’s a Good Idea

“I believe most people want to do something to support their communities but struggle to find the balance of busy, everyday life with the desire to give back,” says Manieri. “That’s why volunteerism date nights are a much-needed win-win! Couples spend quality time together while impacting causes close to their hearts.”

Couples can participate in or host official Do Good Date Night events – or they can independently employ the concept on their own.
So here are 10 ways to make the world a better place with your better half.

1. Oh Baby: Pause on cuddling one another to snuggle with babies. Some hospitals encourage cuddlers to cozy up to preemies and other cuties in need.

2. Dish It Out: Satisfy your craving to combat hunger by collecting goods from neighbors to deliver to shelters, volunteering at food banks to sort/organize donations, cook for families at the Ronald McDonald House (a residence for those accessing hospital care) or drive meals to home-bound patients.

3. Be Homebodies: Habitat for Humanity grants couples the building blocks to construct homes for families in need.

4. Make Love a Shore Thing: Align with beach preservation organizations to infuse your sand and surf agenda with a shore clean-up effort.

5. Respect Thy Elders: Read stories, have lunch, run errands or just listen to senior citizens at hospitals or assisted living facilities.

6. Salute the Troops: Show your gratitude with care packages or pitch in at Veteran’s Association centers.

7. Let Love Bloom: Volunteer with urban gardening programs.

8. Sharing is Caring: Donate clothing, housewares, etc. to secondhand resale stores or domestic violence shelters.

9. Embrace Puppy Love: Help animal shelters by walking dogs, gifting food/toys or distributing adoption flyers.

10. Let Your Hearts Race: Run the course of life together while impacting causes you love.

Do Good Date Night combines volunteerism with date night by giving couples access to fun and rewarding service experiences in their communities. It’s a division of the parent company, Date Night Guide, a network of city-wide and national content empowering couples to love, laugh and live their best life together through fun experiences and real relationship insight.

So, some good ideas from the Good News Guru radio dhow! A different take on spending time with your special someone by being and doing good in the world:

villager, Jeanne Mayell, villager and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

I found online that Democrats play smart, where they care more about issues than about impeaching Trump. I feel that this rhetoric is going to grow overtime.

https://thinkprogress.org/manafort-cohen-stories-explode-democrats-focus-on-healthcare-taxes-080589005f09/

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Great News today for the Grand Canyon and the  Havasupai Native American tribe.  This also looks like a positive prediction hit.

"I saw a Native American on horseback. The Native American spirit is rising across the land. They will give us hope and show us how to thrive amidst adversity" (Jeanne Mayell - Positive Predictions)

From The Guardian- The ban on new uranium mining near the Grand Canyon implemented by the Obama administration was effectively upheld on Monday when the US supreme court declined to hear a challenge from the industry.

Environmental groups and Native American communities declared victory when, on the first day of its fall season, the bench announced that the uranium extraction ban was among cases it refuses to review.

But Muriel Coochwytewa, chairwoman of the small Havasupai tribe that lives within the canyon and relies on a local river, which forms famous turquoise waterfalls, said: “The mineral withdrawal is a necessary way to protect the land and the water that our people and our village depend upon.”

She added: “We are grateful that the supreme court has agreed … that our lands and our people must be preserved.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/01/grand-canyon-uranium-mining-ban-upheld-as-supreme-court-declines-to-hear-challenge

Marley, villager, Michele and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

These are awesome. I love this thread.  Especially need it today.  So thank you all, and Michele for starting it.  

Lovendures, thank you for finding that Native American Grand Canyon hit, which was a vision I had that was powerful and inspiring at the moment I got it.  So happy to see it come true. May there be many more instances of Native American spirit rising across the land. 

Lovendures, Michele, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Absolutely awesome,  Lovendures. On many, many levels nothing is more important than water and our protection of it. This bodes well for the future rights of our native peoples and their connection to this land and all of our survival upon it.

Not exactly everyday people doing good deeds being the Supreme Court upholding rights but lovely never the less! And wonderfully fitting for Jeanne's Prediction page.

Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Getting back to the good people, businesses, or advocacy groups that are finding ways to help people in need.

Here's a group called "Build Homes, Not Walls".  It is a campaign that is taking donated, surplus building materials from Bay Area landfills and delivering them to the hands of the people in Ixtepec, Oaxaca,Mexico, who are rebuilding after the devastating earthquakes of September 7, 2017 and February 16, 2018.

https://workthatreconnects.org/build-homes-not-walls/

Jeanne Mayell, RosieHeart, Lovendures and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

So many of our members seemed disheartened today.   So I searched for over an hour for some inspiring good news I could post.

I found nothing that spoke to me. Nothing.   This was very surprising.  I can always find something.

So after some quiet thinking, I decided to DO something positive with the remainder of my day instead.  I went down to my church and sorted through 6 large bags of newly  knitted items ( hats, blankets, booties, scarves, purses) donated for those in need.  Now we know what we have and where we can give them in our greater community ( our children's hospital, Christmas angels, a teen pregnancy home, seniors on a tight budget as so forth).   It isn't positive news, but it is a positive action.  I can't say that I have ever said to myself, "I need to do something positive today" and found something positive to do, right then and there.  I usually plan those sort of things out in advanced.

Weird.

RosieHeart, numerologist, Michele and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Lovendures, so awesome!

I read a few days ago that a woman in Michigan started a grass roots campaign, with no money,  to put a question on the Michigan ballot that would take redistricting away from the Republican party and put it in the hands of a non partisan citizens commission.  She got over 450,000 signatures!!!   So it's on the ballot.  If approved, then the GOP-controlled Michigan legislature would no longer have the ability to draw precincts favorable for the GOP in that swing state. Whether or not it gets approved, it's a sign of our times that the grass roots can have a powerful voice. 

RosieHeart, Marley, villager and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Blue
(@blue)
Honorable Member Registered

That's certainly a great reminder that it only takes one person to start the ball of change rolling. I think sometimes it's easy to think "I'm only one person I can't affect anything", but so often history and events have shown us that this is just not true:)

RosieHeart, Jeanne Mayell, Marley and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Students are the key with this fantastic project.  Recycling oyster shells from New York restaurants and saving New York's Harbor .  

I love our youth!  GREAT NEWS!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/10/10/654781446/oysters-on-the-half-shell-are-actually-saving-new-yorks-eroding-harbor?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2038

Jeanne Mayell, RosieHeart, Marley and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 16
Share: