Notifications
Clear all

Uprisings and Riots in France

(@muriel)
Reputable Member Registered

Isn't it, Laura ?

Thank you, I am safe in the countryside where I live 

I support the movement but I don't have the soul of a warrior, so I don't go go demonstrate. For now anyway.

I prefer trying to send light and good vibes go all those who fight  peacefully.

BlueBelle, CDeanne, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 stu
(@stu)
Honorable Member Registered

you can't deny social media has played a big part in these protests

"What they did was help to get people get more and more excited about things that bothered them. By amplifying messages and inflating opinion bubbles, they whipped up a frenzy where there had been mere grumbling."

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2018-12-03/in-the-gilets-jaunes-paris-riots-france-faces-facebook-revolution?__twitter_impression=true

Jeanne Mayell, Muriel, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Muriel, this is wonderful.  It is like a US pep band playing in the streets.  I am sorry only the violence is being reported.

Jeanne Mayell, Muriel, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

I won't deny the role of social media. 

But we also had two revolutions without any social media. And despair and anger were there, in people's everyday life. Social media or not. You can see a lot of retired people (70 +) in the protests, they don't all use Facebook.

And I people grumble for too long, at the end it burts out 

ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

Lovendure, yes it is wonderful.

I don't know US pep band, I will have look at it . In France, we call that fanfare.

ReplyQuote
 stu
(@stu)

"I asked the information warfare expert Molly McKew what was going on. She replied: “Major Russian info campaign on the Yellow Jackets/Vests protests, so you just kicked the wrong hornets. Over the weekend all the ‘Syria’ accounts were tweeting about how French had snipers on the rooftops to shoot the demonstrators.” The Hamilton 68 website, which tracks Russian disinformation online, confirmed that two of the top Russian hashtags were “giletsjaune” and “France.” Among the Russians cheerleading the protests online is the notorious fascist and Putin adviser Alexander Dugin. Meanwhile, Russian state media outlets such as RT were hyping chaos in Paris as if it were a “color” revolution."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/2018/12/08/france-online-extremists-put-centrism-torch/?__twitter_impression=true

BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

I am not naive, I know governments want to manipulate that.

But those journalists should also come over here and simply talk with the people.

And we have snipers on the roofs, it is not a secret. They don't kill anyone, it's for security.

ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

Anyway, only time will tell...

I think our countries have very different reactions towards social justice. And the way society should work. Both visions have pros and cons but I guess it might be hard to understand each other sometimes.

BlueBelle and BlueBelle reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

Muriel,

You are right, we all see through the eyes of our own cultures and countries we live in. That is why it's so very important that you have shared with us and we are learning to see with clear eyes and not ones of judgment by reading your comments and feeling your heart.

Both of your facebook links were just wonderful. The French spirit shown by the people lifted my heart and filled me with so much love and compassion and joyful connection through our shared challenges but still love of our countries.

Stu, your link was very informative, as well. Appreciate all of your insights and coments as I have learned so much! 

BlueBelle, Muriel, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Muriel, a pep band would be a band, usually from a high school or college, which plays upbeat music to help motivate the sports team and fans attending the game.  They are usually in the stands with the fans.  

Muriel and Muriel reacted
ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

Ah OK, thanks.

Fanfare is street music, a bit like bands in New Orleans. Not related with sport but with celebrations. 

ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

Michele, that joy fills my heart, events seem less doomed.

It is not the whole truth, it was more violent in the Champs Elysées, but it is also the truth. And we have to see both. Anger and Hope. Despair and joy.

Michele and Michele reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

So very sorry to read this headline coming out of Reuters news link today:

"At least two dead, 11 wounded in French Christmas market shooting"

My thoughts are with the victims of the Strasbourg shooting with light and prayers for the entire situation and all involved but especially for the survivors and loved ones of those shot down today.

At a time when we should feel joyous and peaceful with so many recognized holidays this season it is so incredibly sad to feel loss and pain at this senseless loss of lives.

Link:
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1OA2A8

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

I stand by my earlier feelings that while Muriel is there in France, and is right to point out the rampant dissatisfaction there, Russia has a hand in this.

Here's the proof:  Hamilton 68

# giletsjaunes is the top hasthag. This means that while the Russians may have not initiated the protests, they are agitating them online.

Dina, Muriel, stu and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 SDJ
(@sdj)

I have some questions. I know about French politics, as I went to university in France and then in Cambridge, MA, and I know that just like here in this thread Macron’s actions have been distorted to favor LePen (intentional or not, it’s all the same), and that Putin has been actively working amplify the discontent and highlight violence. Not everybody needs to be on Facebook to send out the message to others about ideas that are a bit off. But why be against electric cars? What does industry practices in the Congo have to do with it? Clearly, transitioning into a sustainable world is going to be far more chattering and confusion than is necessary. We may not survive because of all the oddity of messages going around now.  

ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

I hope France has more choice than between Le Pen and Macron, and the 80% who are / were in favour of the gilets jaunes are not in favour of Le Pen. Fortunatly.

For the link between Congo and electric cars, just Google coltan and wikipedia. It's not being for or against electric cars but France doesn't have the electric capacity yet.

Thée problem is far deeper than that, I don't know anything for sure and I was born and raised here. 

ReplyQuote
 SDJ
(@sdj)

A large proportion of the manifestation voted for Le Pen. Not all, but a lot. I can understand why people, particularly the French, would feel unnerved by the tax, but it doesn’t make sense to me, for example, that Macron would be attacked for mobilizing buses when the rail workers went on strike during the reorganization of pension plans. This is the kind of thing we all need to pay attention to. Why has that message been distorted? The exaggerations about Macron’s actions and intentions are from the Far Right, and amplified by Russian troll farms. It is up to the people to learn what messages are for the future of France, and which are for the destabilization of Europe. If you get super-upset by news of the actions of your government, read the papers to see if the message is the same. Dig deeper. 

I wanted to to add another perspective on something else. Just another way of viewing the situation. Brexit means that the stock exchange would have to be moved from London to a European city. Lowering (not eliminating) the taxes on high income earners made Paris the winner of that competition. More high-income earners in Paris means more funds to the government, more social services to the people. There was a plan, there was an action, there was a winning bid. This man is not a demon, he just has to do things in a new way. He must. The world has changed. 

LalaBella, Dina, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

Benoit awoke from coma last thursday. Thank you very much for the light you sent !

stu and stu reacted
ReplyQuote
 stu
(@stu)

glad to hear that Muriel that's good news!

It seems these protests are being ignored by the mainstream media now. 

If anyone is interested in what's happening, this twitter thread shows what's been happening across France today..

https://twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1081311780763324417

protests have been reported in at least 34 locations across France 

Muriel and Muriel reacted
ReplyQuote
(@muriel)

Thank you very much, Stuart.

Thank you for the link too, I will look at its twitter thread closer as I love the fact he is Greek and Belgium. Close enough but I guess with a beneficial distance fro the events. Because, you are right, main stream medias even here have been ignoring what is happening. I have the impression that it is changing slowly though... Intellectual personnalities are speaking more and more too, it's great to have their point of view.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: