Notifications
Clear all

Ukraine-Russia Situation

tbs
(@tbs)
Noble Member Registered

It is so heartbreaking seeing all this pictures from Ukraine, and although I try to understand that the West needs to be careful , I wish we could help Ukraine with the No-Fly zone. Or at least give them the MIG´s and more weapons. But then I also think about the poor Russian soldiers, some are actually still children( I always get the song !9 by Paul Hardcastle in my head ) .

But I believe that we are close to a turning point, the West is more and more under pressure from the public opinion to do something. Yes the economical sanctions are good, but that is not a short-term help.  And Putin does not care, he is not at all realistic , I think in English you call it , he is a loose canon. And eventually he gets what he wants, a war with the west.

What Macron is doing i good to keep up communication, but you hear also that he basically does not think it helps. These calls must be so frustrating.

I think within two weeks we will see Western jets over the Ukraine. The West cannot watch forever how one city after the other is destroyed. And Putin will not survive the Summer, there must be already plots planned. Does anyone also sees a role for Nawalny for the new Russia? When Merkel pulled him out of Russia when he was poisoned , I thought the fact that Nawalny survived will bite Putin in the future.

I hope there will be a solution soon, next to all the death and chaos, it will trigger a global economic crisis if it goes on too long. Think about the wheat production in the Ukraine.

Let us hope for a best, and why do we not have real Marvel Avengers ...

PamP, Tiger-n-Owl, Vesta and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

@tbs Just a few notes:

1. Although it would be nice to have them, Ukraine doesn't need the MiGs.  Approximately 80% of their own military aircraft are still operational.  More and better weapons are being sent daily from all NATO countries.  The US just authorized another $1.9 billion in aid, mostly military.

2. There was a base in the Ukraine that was targeted by missiles last night.  From what I understand, the base is only about 20 miles from the Polish border.  If such things continue that close to NATO borders, I suspect that NATO Article Five (mutual defense pact) may be invoked unintentionally (or intentionally, depending on your view of Putin's chess moves) whether we like it or not. If an attack happens on a NATO country - intentional or not - it will be a de facto declaration of WWIII, and everyone on both sides knows that.

3. NATO-backed air support over Ukraine would not be advisable, in spite of the war crimes being committed by Russian forces.  Remember, Russia is nuclear capable, Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) is a thing, and Putin has been backed into a corner.  NATO air support may be seen over NATO countries, but without an actual attack on a NATO country, they will not fly over Ukrainian space.  To do so would be viewed by Russia as an act of war.  Keep in mind that whatever their differences, China will stand on Russia's side, and China's military is orders of magnitude better than Russia's. 

4.  I have seen it suggested elsewhere that an EU member state could provide direct military support on their own outside the NATO pact, but I see that as unlikely because to do so would necessarily invite Russia to retaliate.  Since most if not all EU members are also NATO signatories, such retaliation would likely activate Article Five, and once again, we have WWIII

I do hope Putin's rule meets its end soon though, and that cooler heads prevail.

PamP, Isabelle, Tiger-n-Owl and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 tbs
(@tbs)
Noble Member Registered

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/russian-forces-using-phosporous-gas-attacks-in-donbas-alleges-ukrainian-cop/ar-AAV0noS

I think if any of this is true, it could be a game changer. Very scary.And that they are getting closer to the Polish border with the attacks...

PamP, Lauren, Vesta and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

@tbs it's hard for me to like your post, but I agree that it could be.

I really want to see after this over, a complete ban on chemical and biological weapons and certainly more work towards nuclear disarmament in the future (I know, I know, a pipe dream), but we need to do it.

PamP, Seeker4, Tiger-n-Owl and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 tbs
(@tbs)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @luminous

@tbs it's hard for me to like your post, but I agree that it could be.

I really want to see after this over, a complete ban on chemical and biological weapons and certainly more work towards nuclear disarmament in the future (I know, I know, a pipe dream), but we need to do it.

I have the same dream and I also do not like my post, but I have a lot of alarm bells in my head since the war started, I am not sure if it is paranoia or sixth sense, I hope paranoia

Let us all share your pipe dream, I like it ❤️ 

Seeker4, Tiger-n-Owl, Lauren and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminata)
Noble Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell 

The film you linked to is exquisite. I'm sobbing! 

It's Camelot! The Shining City on a Hill. Being plundered. As we watch from the sidelines. 

I'm too emotional to post coherently at the moment. I'll finish my thoughts and insights in the morning. I will say in the read the future we did in class I saw Poland becoming more active in the situation this month. I hope that insight was correct, because Ukraine (and all democratic leaning people) need some practical help right now to take down the Goliath we are all facing. And Poland has experience with this. We need to listen to them.

Thank you for sharing this. My prayers, and tears are with the Ukrainian people. 

Seeker4, Luminous, lenor and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@luminata Harvard students created a website for people to provide shelter for Ukrainian refugees.  

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/03/11/metro/harvard-students-design-site-connecting-ukrainian-refugees-with-people-offering-places-stay/

Within days, they launched Ukraine Take Shelter, a site that is “translated natively into at least a dozen languages so far” that allows Ukrainian refugees to filter out their specific needs — such as if they require disability assistance or space for multiple people — to find listings near them. The hosts, in turn, can offer shelter ranging from a single couch to an entire farm, Schiffmann said.

The two are primarily focusing on getting hosts to sign up in Europe, but listings span across the world, including from “Israel to Australia to America to Germany to France, [and] Poland — everywhere,” Schiffmann said. So far there are over 5,000 listings, with hundreds already marked as filled.

Seeker4, numerologist, raincloud and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminata)
Noble Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell 

I love this! I know many upon many people in the world are reaching out with whatever help they can, and it is amazing, awe inspiring, overwhelming.

There is a congruence of purpose I am feeling in the world that I have not felt ever before. We have been galvanized in our horror and disgust for Putin's actions. Zelensky and the people of Ukraine have become the melting pot in which we are dipped, to emerge coated in strength. There is a bonding of hurts, compassion, deep human understanding, and resolve that is encircling the globe right now. We are all looking, seeing, FEELING with our naked human core and saying NO! Not again! We have had ENOUGH!

As the situation cools(and it will) some will not be bonded to the transformed steel that will come from this galvanization. Some have already dripped off and lie scattered around the cauldron floor. They will rust, and blow away as dust. 

But many upon many will be strengthened in the bond with our core humanity. This will lead to a much deeper understanding and common purpose for people everywhere. Many will ask how we can be our brother's/sister's keeper. What can we do to make this world, and the time we share better for all. Many are asking this now(more than I have ever seen in my lifetime) and are also ACTING on it. 

Why now? Why here? Why not any of the other atrocities that happen globally on a daily basis? I don't know. I suspect it's cumulative. It doesn't really matter, we are here now. We are being transformed. We will emerge stronger, and we will emerge better.

Jeanne Mayell, Astarte, Seeker4 and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Curious which companies to consider boycotting or intentionally  supporting during this devastating  Russian war against Ukraine?

Here is a list of the major companies with business in Russia and where they fall.

Here are 33" hall of shame" companies from an article by the Washington Post who are defying demands that they exit Russia or reduce their activities there..

“They are funding the Russian war machine, and they are undermining the whole idea of the sanctions," Sonnenfeld told me. “The whole idea is to freeze up civil society, to get people out on the streets and outraged. They’re undermining an effective resolution” and increasing the likelihood of continued bloodshed.

Not surprising, Koch is committed to staying in Russia.  More surprisingly, so is Subway.  I try to avoid Koch Industries in general and have for years (I totally avoid their paper products for one thing) . Might not have thought of Subway, though I rarely go there, my husband will a few times a month. You might want to re-think Reebok and Avon too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/16/boycott-companies-business-russia-putin-ukraine-war/

Just the list of all U.S. ( I believe) companies and what there actions have been regarding Russia as of today.

https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/400-companies-have-withdrawn-russia-some-remain

Seeker4, Vesta, Baba and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tesseract)
Famed Member Registered

@lowtide 

Thank you for your kind words! Most especially thank you for helping me "get" what Spirit was trying to tell me about the refugees. ❤️ 

Seeker4, Vesta, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tesseract)
Famed Member Registered

@jd1960 

The more I see Zelensky--this morning speaking to Congress--the more I know the term Spirit used (and I had never heard before) the more it fits. Venerated Soul. He is that indeed. Yes, it totally resonates...I get shivers...a Leader for the Ages.

JD1960, Astarte, earthangel and 23 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Posted by: @lenor

I found this quite interesting, two similar predictions almost 3 years apart. 

I’m seeing someone, I think it’s a public figure, with fingernails so long they look like claws. (Jeanne Mayell)6/16/19 for 2022

I see Biden’s hand on an older black landline phone. He is either speaking with or about Zelensky. His arm changes into an arm of an eagle whose talons now grip the phone. (Lovendures) 3/1/22

The long, nimble, sharp talons of eagles and other birds of prey are portrayed in a variety of cultures as a symbol of power, primal tenacity, and ferocity.May 16, 2020

www.wildrevelation.com/all-about-eagle-talons-bald-eagle-facts/

I only just now saw your post

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

The eagle is the highest flying bird. The Mayans have said the eagle is a manifestation of god. The eagle is also a solar symbol, and can be linked to all sky gods. It signifies inspiration, release from bondage, victory, longevity, speed, pride, father and royalty; it is often an emblem for powerful nations. My prayer is that our country can rise to its symbol this year, and well, it looks like both Lovendures and I may have seen something about that. 

Lenor.  Thank you so much for taking the time to look for predictions of the past and present which may be linked. I love the idea of looking for patterns and seeing if we can better predict future events when we see similar predictions over many years. 

For instance, let's say on 4 different RTFN's there were multiple predictions for a tsunami in the spring of 2024.  We might be able to put out a possible warning.  Or try to spend time focusing on that possible event to see if we could gather more information on it, or if it might even happen. This might be helpful for many things including disasters, climate, shortages,  and science/technology.

@jeanne-mayell, thanks for sharing information on the eagle. How interesting.

Vesta, Astarte, earthangel and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

They have frozen putin's 680 Billion war chest. I want that money to go to Ukraine for reconstuction after this War. I read about the supernatual strike against a Russian offensive group. I'm hoping the Greys will abduct putin and take him to Saturn where he belongs. 

2ndfdl, earthangel, CC21 and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

This Lincoln Project interview w Alex Vindman gives vital insight into the Russia-Ukraine conflict and esp in regard to US steps and missteps. He also believes P “does not want or desire” a nuclear outcome. It’s an apple link

broadcast https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-putin/id1551582052?i=1000553757973

Jeanne Mayell, Seeker4, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

I talked to my rich republican brother yesterday. He's not worried about the war, doesn't think putin will go nuke. He thinks Biden is weak, and he thinks Manchin is doing the will of his people. He bought a new car. It is a beautiful blue. No it is not electric (after all he had been vice president of Phillips 66). He thinks all this climate change is to force people to by electric. It was a pretty good visit.. He didn't brow beat me, and tell me  how I could do so much better for myself. 

Jeanne Mayell, Seeker4, 2ndfdl and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@earthangel 

Really interesting interview. It sounds like someone in the Biden administration should listen to it/him, at least to consider his suggestions. I agree with Vindman that Biden would be wise to make weekly addresses.

Seeker4, Vesta, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@allyn)

@elaineg 

It must be hard to be a Republican right now.  Basically, Republican is another word for hypocrites.  I consider myself a Christian, and I find it interesting that Jesus denounced the hypocrites in his time at least 53 times (strangely, Jesus doesn't seem to go off on independent women, the poor, the immigrants, the gay/lesbian/transgender community, etc. that Republicans have constantly blamed for all that is wrong in this world.)

It is strange to see Republicans constantly berate Biden (and Obama), yet they screamed how anyone who disagreed with the Afghanistan and Iraq wars were traitors during the Bush years.  Worse, they continue to rally around the man who flaunted his friendship with Putin and actually tried to withhold military aid to Ukraine?  Biden isn't the reason that Putin invaded.  It was Trump and the Republicans, who continue to support Putin by (1) openly praise him (Tucker Carlson, Trump, Marjorie Orr) or half-heartedly condemn him but blame Biden for everything (Graham, McConnell, even Manchin, the traitor to his country and party).  They can't seem to get behind a message to anyone, because one side of their party openly adores Putin while the other side wants to bomb Putin (if only to drag America into another protracted conflict and blame Biden for everything).

I know you must love your brother, and that he must have good qualities that may outshine his poor judgment as to the current situation, just as I have some Republican friends that I care about despite their inability to see the truth of their beliefs.  But many are so far down the rabbit hole that it is impossible to turn back now.  And because this country has become so polarized, it is impossible to hold these traitors accountable by the voting public.

However, many people are neglecting the all-important question.  What do Independents think about Russia and Ukraine?  

In this world of polarization, it is the Independents who hold the power right now.  It was the Independents who swung the election for Biden in 2020, and their power can make a huge impact in the direction our country heads to.

Do Independents see the threat of Russia for what it is?  Will they be reminded that Republicans are the ones responsible for coddling Russia and encouraging threats to all democracies?  Will that fear, if properly messaged, cause them to vote for Democrats in the fall, especially if a case is made that if Republicans get control, they will take aid away from Ukraine and gift the country to Russia?

Sometimes you need something to vote against.  Republicans know that fear will cause people to vote.  I say that now is the time for Democrats to start calling Republicans out and point out all the photo ops, praise, and love that they have given and continue to give Putin.  And if you add the expected dismantlement of Roe v. Wade this summer, the fear of what a Republican controlled government may be what is needed to drive Independents to the polls and finally punish Republicans.  

I live in an extremely red state, so there aren't many independents that I can ask to gauge their opinion, so I am asking my fellow forum members who may live in purple states what they are experiencing where they live.  Will Republicans succeed in flipping the narrative by blaming Biden for everything, or will people wake up to the fact that Republicans are a threat to our freedom and democracy because of their close ties and loyalty to Putin?  Knowing how Independents are leaning will be helpful, especially as we get closer to 2024 and Republicans plan to ask the country to place a certain whining draft-dodger with foot shards in charge of a nation while our world faces a possible nuclear war.

On a positive note, it seems that the people continue to fight Putin and his allies.  Marjorie Greene is now on Anonymous's hit list for her support of Putin, and Putin himself apparently can't get through one rally without technical issues when a "glitch" cut him off mid-statement today.  Methinks that Putin should call in a few favors from Trump.  Perhaps Trump can appear at his rallies and take his supporters over to Russia with him.  At the very least, when Russia eventually defaults, Trump can help Putin with declaring bankruptcy.

Jeanne Mayell, Seeker4, 2ndfdl and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

@allyn they are a bunch of fascist hypocrites. We have the same problem here in the UK. Apologies for my strong words, but it makes my blood boil. They also are not patriots either - the fact they have all been influenced by dirty Russian money proves that. They pretend they care about their country, but it is all just a smokescreen to serve their own interests. The sooner we get rid of these people the better for everyone and the whole world. From the outside looking in, the last true Republicans who still actually care, are people like Arnold Schwarzenegger - who may not be a perfect man, but still actually cares about democracy and morality. It seems to me that the Republican party are finished. Hopefully soon the Conservatvies/Tory party in the UK too, and any other fascist aligned party in Europe and the rest of the world!

Good riddance.

Jeanne Mayell, Seeker4, 2ndfdl and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@allyn

I live in an extremely blue precinct, in a blue county, in a purple state currently run by a Fanboy of TFG.   So I'm not around many hard-core Republicans because of my lovely neighborhood/precinct/city. 

But not-completely-insane Republicans and those who are apolitical-ish  are horrified by the Ukraine situation. 

Seeker4, 2ndfdl, polarberry and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@allyn)

@luminous 

I sympathize with you.  I know you have a bunch of crazies in the UK right now who seem determined to sow division and hate against everyone who is not like them.  When UK voted to leave the EU, I felt so sad.  Yes, the EU is not perfect (corruption exists everywhere), but it seems to me that Brexit succeeded due to lies about how easy the separation would be and a hatred/distrust of immigrants.

(Note: If I am wrong on my assumptions, I apologize, as my comments are not meant to offend you.  Indeed, I see the same thing here in the US, where Trump, Bannon, Fox News, etc. have thrived for years on stoking lies and hatred.  Heck, Trump's first speech when he announced his candidacy in 2015 called Mexicans murderers and rapists.  Please know that I understand how it is when you see these people calling all the shots when they should be behind bars.)

I too hope for the downfall of these people (on both sides of the Atlantic).  It is difficult, as it seems as though nothing will change.  Scandal after scandal occurs, and yet they continue to rise to the top and seem to avoid the consequences of their deceptions.

And yet...maybe if the head of the snake is cut off, the rest of the body will wither and die.  In my opinion, Putin is the head of the snake, as it seems that Russia seems to be the power behind many of these people and behinds much of the stoking and lies on the media in order to support his little puppets.  So if Putin should fall from grace, I hope that those who supported him will fall, one by one, until they are nothing more than a footnote in history books as children read about it and laugh about how people during our time could be so stupid, much as we did when we read about the Nazis and their rise to power.

How ironic would it be if Putin was beaten by Ukraine!  Heck, Ukraine may be the sword held by Lady Justice (Note: To those outside the legal world, she is depicted blindfolded with a scale in one hand and a sword in the other.  All attorneys have a statue or plaque somewhere in their office of her).  Maybe Ukraine's continued defiance in the face of Putin will cause him to finally face his defeat once and for all.  And if he goes, so to goes all of those racist populous hypocrites who have monopolized out governments for so long!  Simply put, without Putin to protect them, they will fall.)

By the way, I have hung a wreath on my door for spring.  Amongst the tulips and daffodils, I have one large sunflower amongst the blooms.  My summer wreath will also feature sunflowers, as will my autumn wreath.  I am hoping to start a trend here in my neighborhood, but even if I am the only one doing it, I am proud to feature the sunflower, Ukraine's national flower, on my office door so people know that I stand proudly with the underdog who will eventually rise as the winner.

I don't know how I am going to incorporate a sunflower into my winter wreath for next year though (if, God forbid, Russia is still trying to invade by then.)  I am thinking about using some spray-on glue on some sunflowers to make it look like frost (I did the same thing two years ago with some holly and berries, and it came out beautifully).  But I really hope that Putin will be defeated by then.  

Anyone else out there using sunflowers as a subtle way to make people in their neighborhood remember the bravery of Ukraine?  After all, we can't let those idiots at Fox News control the narrative, now can we?

Seeker4, 2ndfdl, BlueBelle and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 16 / 22
Share: