Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic  

Page 8 / 58
  RSS

(@saokymo)
Registered
02/19/2020 8:12 am  

Dr. John Campbell is a Nurse Teacher and A&E Nurse based out of England. He has been giving daily updates and analysis of the coronavirus data, and has a very informative YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/videos

His videos are an excellent source for objective analysis concerning the outbreak, and he does an excellent job of explaining stuff for laypeople such as ourselves.

raindrop, BlueBelle, Michele and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Registered
02/19/2020 1:04 pm  

Coronavirus death toll rises above 2,000 worldwide

The death toll: The novel coronavirus has now killed more than 2,000 people, all but six of them in mainland China. It has infected more than 75,000 people, with over 1,000 cases outside mainland China.

What's happening on the cruise ship: The remaining passengers aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan began disembarking Wednesday after a 14-day quarantine. A total of 624 cases of the virus are linked to the stricken ship.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-19-20-intl-hnk/index.htm

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
02/20/2020 1:41 am  

Diamond Princess deaths:  Two passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship have died of the coronavirus, Japan's health ministry announced today.

Both passengers were in their 80s and had been in hospital in Japan, but no further information is known about them at this stage. A total of 624 cases of the coronavirus have been found onboard the ship.

South Korea infections jump: There are now 82 cases of the deadly coronavirus in South Korea, the government reported today, after a jump of 31 additional cases overnight. Of the new cases, 23 went to the same church as a previously confirmed patient and health officials now plan to test the entire congregation for the virus.

Beijing Expells 3 Wall Street Journal Reporters over a Corona Cirus opinion piece

A controversial opinion piece criticizing China's response to the coronavirus led to the official expulsion of three journalists from the Wall Street Journal yesterday.

At a news briefing yesterday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said that the Wall Street Journal had refused to apologize over the article, entitled "China is the real sick man of Asia."

It is the largest expulsion of foreign journalists from the country since 1989.

"Confirmed Case" definition changes again in China 

The drop in new novel coronavirus infections out of mainland China was sharp today, falling from 1,749 confirmed cases on Wednesday to just 394 Thursday.

This now appears to be partly due to a change in what is counted as a "confirmed case."

About a week ago, Hubei province began counting "clinically diagnosed patients" in their case numbers -- those patients who showed symptoms, even if they tested negative. It resulted in a huge spike of confirmed cases in the province, which is the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak.

However, according to the latest government guidelines, "clinically diagnosed patients" will no longer be counted. A lab based diagnosis will now be required for a case to be counted as "confirmed." All other cases will be categorized as "suspected cases."

South Korea infections jump: There are now 82 cases of the deadly coronavirus in South Korea, the government reported today, after a jump of 31 additional cases overnight. Of the new cases, 23 went to the same church as a previously confirmed patient and health officials now plan to test the entire congregation for the virus.

Death toll rises: At least 2,126 people are now dead from the virus, with all but 10 of those deaths in mainland China. The total number of infected worldwide stands at over 75,600.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-20-20-intl-hnk/index.html

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Registered
02/20/2020 10:01 pm  

Coronavirus live updates:

Air travel set to decline, FBI stocks masks. Large list of economic etc.changes due to corona virus.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/20/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Registered
02/20/2020 10:06 pm  

Heartening news tor the future of a potential Coronavirus vaccine!Coronavirus ‘spike’ protein just mapped, leading way to vaccine | Live Science

"Researchers worldwide are racing to develop potential vaccines and drugs to fight the new coronavirus, called SARS-Cov-2.  

Now, a group of researchers has figured out the molecular structure of a key protein that the coronacoronavirus uses to invade human cells, potentially opening the door to the development of a vaccine, according to new findings."

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spike-protein-structure.html

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
02/21/2020 12:54 pm  

@michele-b

Regarding the mask stockpiling, this is a good thing for the future.  I have felt that this virus might be a warm up for a future super spreading bad one.  We are learning all that we don't know and how unprepared we are so we can get more prepared in a variety of ways.

CC21 liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
02/21/2020 2:08 pm  

I think something just shifted.

The novel coronavirus has spread to several Iranian cities, Minnou Mohraz, a member of the National Committee for Infectious Diseases at the Ministry of Health said today.

“The spread of the coronavirus started in Qom and has reached other cities in the country like Tehran, Babol, Arak, Isfahan, Rasht and other cities due to people traveling. There is a possibility that it exists in all cities across the country,” Mohraz said.

Asked on Friday if the new cases put the crisis at a tipping point, the World Health Organization director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said the “window of opportunity is narrowing, so we need to act quickly before it closes completely”.

In Lebanon, the health minister, Hamad Hassan, reported the country’s first case of the virus on Friday, stating the patient was a 45-year-old woman who arrived on Thursday on a flight from Qom.

At a news conference in Beirut, he said the ministry was also following up on the cases of two other people suspected of contracting Covid-19.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-21-20-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/21/coronavirus-window-of-containment-narrowing-after-iran-deaths-who-warns

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
02/21/2020 2:10 pm  

Here is how things are going in Ukraine.

Protesters on Thursday attacked buses carrying 45 Ukrainians and 27 other evacuees from the Chinese province of Wuhan, the virus’ centre, to the small town of Novi Sanzhary, fearing they would be a health hazard.

Videos showed dozens of protesters lighting tires ablaze and hurling rocks at the buses carrying the evacuees. Riot police broke up the crowds and detained 24 people.

The Ukrainian government has planned to quarantine the people at a sanatorium there for two weeks. In an attempt to calm the demonstrators, the health minister, Zoryana Skaletska, pledged to spend the next two weeks in the same sanatorium.

A selfie she posted from her room in quarantine was followed by the hashtags calling on Ukrainians “not to fear our own” and “I am not afraid of the virus, I am with you”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/21/coronavirus-window-of-containment-narrowing-after-iran-deaths-who-warns

Michele liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Registered
02/21/2020 6:21 pm  

As the country’s infection numbers soar, most cases have been connected to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, which mainstream churches consider a cult.
The church members are forbidden to use anti-viral measures and if showing symptoms of the disease to deny being members
Health officials are now focusing on the church group as a major factor in the coronavirus outbreak.

Members of Shincheonji and their relatives account for more than two-thirds of the confirmed cases of the virus.

Today,  the number of cases in the country soared above 200 which is second only to mainland China,

(The outbreak on Diamond Princess is excluded from Japan’s count.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/world/asia/south-korea-coronavirus-shincheonji.html

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Registered
02/21/2020 8:45 pm  

Coronavirus Cases in the United States Reach 34, and More Are Expected - The New York Times

“This new virus represents a tremendous public health threat,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said at a news briefing.

But so far there has been no community spread of the infection in the United States, she added; all of the cases have been linked to overseas travel.
Eleven of the infections were diagnosed in travelers who fell ill after returning on their own from overseas, and two of their close contacts became infected.

The other 21 patients are people who were were returned to the United States by the State Department.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/health/coronavirus-cases-usa.html

ReplyQuote
 Baba
(@baba)
Registered
02/22/2020 9:34 am  

I was reading Australian news and found a couple of interesting articles about the Corona virus that I haven’t seen elsewhere. One states that they have confirmed that there is a patient in China that had a 27 day incubation period and the other details a vaccine developed in Australia against the virus that is currently about to begin animal testing. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/27-day-incubation-period-coronavirus-china-covid-19/11991604
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/coronavirus-vaccine-animal-testing-days-away-uq-researchers/11991456

shan, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Registered
02/22/2020 10:53 am  

@baba

Wow! Both potential game changers

I had seen and posted research discoveries of the coronavirus molecular structure leading to a vaccine. With hopes of it leading further.

But actual testing is just wonderful!!

https://www.jeannemayell.com/community/international-predictions/new-wuhan-coronavirus-or-snake-flu/paged/8/#post-20925

2/20/2020

@michele- b:

Heartening news tor the future of a potential Coronavirus vaccine!Coronavirus ‘spike’ protein just mapped, leading way to vaccine | Live Science
"Researchers worldwide are racing to develop potential vaccines and drugs to fight the new coronavirus, called SARS-Cov-2.  
Now, a group of researchers has figured out the molecular structure of a key protein that the coronacoronavirus uses to invade human cells, potentially opening the door to the development of a vaccine, according to new findings."
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spike-protein-structure.htm

Australia seems ahead of the game!  At least at sharing and releasing this exciting information. Sure hope it does well in animal testing!!

BlueBelle and Baba liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
02/22/2020 11:37 am  

This could be a problem. 

In a strong statement, Israel's health ministry warned that nine South Korean tourists who visited the country recently have tested positive for coronavirus upon returning home.The ministry called on anyone who may have come into close contact with the tour group for an extended period of time to self-quarantine. 

The tourists visited some of the most popular sites in Israel and the West Bank from February 8 to 16, increasing the chance of a large-scale exposure in the region, the ministry said Saturday.

Providing a list of dates and locations, the ministry warned that anyone who came within two meters of the group for more than 15 minutes should self-quarantine for 14 days.

The group visited Masada in southern Israel, the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron, and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

The potential for a large-scale exposure appears to be high given the number of tourists who regularly visit these sites and others.

The release of the statement on a Saturday is an indication of how seriously authorities are taking the threat of coronavirus spreading in Israel. Government statements are rarely released on Saturday in Israel since it is the Sabbath.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-22-20-intl-hnk/index.html

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
02/22/2020 11:52 am  

South Korea News

South Korea now has a total of 433 cases.  Over 9000 are in isolation and being tested from a religious group where many people were exposed.

Samsung Electronics said on Saturday that one coronavirus case had been confirmed at its smartphone factory complex in the South Korean city. The plant has been shut down until Monday morning, while the floor where the infected employee worked will be closed until February 25, Samsung said in a statement.

“The company plans to implement all necessary measures for disinfection and containment promptly."

The company has also identified colleagues who came in contact with the infected employee, and has taken measures to place them in isolation and get them tested.

South Korea's coronavirus outbreak is entering a “grave situation," the country's Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said during a press briefing, adding the government is "doing its best to prevent the spread."

He urged people to refrain from attending events where many people gather, such as religious events, or to consider other ways such as online meetings.

Chung also said that the government will “sternly deal” with acts that interfere with the country’s quarantine efforts, such as illegal hoarding of hygiene products and mass rallies.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-22-20-intl-hnk/index.html

ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Registered
02/22/2020 12:00 pm  

I'm starting to develop quite a bit of anxiety regarding the coronavirus. For the past few weeks I have been relatively calm and have not felt as though there were any reason to panic over it. But as of this morning, that has changed, and I have become quite fearful. If anyone has any facts or advice that can help talk me down, that would be greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
 Baba
(@baba)
Registered
02/22/2020 12:25 pm  

@SisterMoon I don’t think there is a reason to panic about the Corona virus. There is plenty of reason to remain watchful and pay attention to how it is progressing. Because I used to live at the end of the world and had family on two other continents, we often had to travel long distances during the last several pandemics and scares. I have flown around the world with kids in tow through SARS, swine flu and Ebola. My best guess is that this virus will become one that we will all eventually have to deal with. However, if they can hold it off for another season, there will be time to get a vaccine and get people vaccinated - similar to the swine flu from a few years ago. I wouldn’t obsess about it, but just kind of keep tabs on developments and try to stay generally as healthy as possible. I hope that helps. 

CC21, raindrop, shan and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@saokymo)
Registered
02/22/2020 1:22 pm  

@sistermoon I think the biggest anxiety we’re facing at the moment is how much we don’t know about the virus, coupled with a base distrust of China’s reporting of it. There’s also a large amount of disinformation and flat-out conspiracy theory fearmongering happening, which makes it that much harder to discern the truth.

Its okay to be scared - pandemics are a reasonable fear - but we can’t let that reasonable fear turn into unreasonable panic.

What we can do for now to protect ourselves: wash our hands frequently with soap & water; avoid touching our faces as much as possible, and follow basic sanitary precautions like one would do in any bad flu season. If you are able, keep an emergency preparedness kit on hand with enough to last for 2 weeks if needed (which is reasonable for other issues such as bad weather events). If you have any critical medicines or prescriptions, try to get an extra stock of them if possible.

No matter what happens, this will not be a world-ending event - though it is certain to be a world-changing one.

CC21, raindrop, Marley and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
02/22/2020 3:13 pm  

@sistermoon

Hi Sistermoon.  

The best advice I can offer is be educated and be prepared.  But there isn't a need to panic at this point.   At least not in the US.  

I felt I needed to keep unto date about this virus from the beginning, one of those "tickles" that says pay attention.  I am not panicked.  I am trying to be prepared for the most part and educate myself.

I became concerned about the virus one evening before the first case was announced in the US.  I felt a strong need to pray and meditate about it. The next day  the first case in the US was announced and it happened to be at the  university my daughter attends.

Boom!  All of a sudden it impacted our family.  So I have  been on alert and monitoring things for some time now.  So far so good at ASU, it appears only one student had it, though with what we know know, that fact in itself amazes me.    

The biggest concern personally right now for me is that I will be attending a Natural Foods  Expo in a week and a half where there is projected to be 85, 000 people  in attendance .  I have attended before and it is packed with people from all over the world. I wasn't concerned a week ago.  I am more concerned now, especially with how we now know people can be carriers without showing any symptoms, it is very easily transmitted and while mild for most people, it can turn serious.  But 80% who get it, get it mildly, this is good news.

Last night I looked at their website and saw they had a whole  section on how they are going to operate this year due to the virus.  This is good, they are being proactive and following CDC and WHO announcements and guidelines.  Honestly, if someone there has the virus, well, it is going to be a disastrous set of events.    The following is how they are currently handling the situation:

In an effort to elevate and enforce our food safety and sampling guidelines, we are growing our partnership with the Orange County Health Care Agency to ensure that the show is achieving the highest of standards expected by the industry. Onsite you will see approximately 15 food safety advisors walking the floor to provide exhibitors with health and safety resources, advice and if necessary, corrections.  You will also see an increase in handwashing stations, dishwashing stations and Mrs. Meyers hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the show.  Be assured in the current climate, the Orange County Health Care Agency and the Natural Products teams have worked together in a strategic, proactive approach to identify any potential risks regarding food preparation and open sampling.  It is the responsibility of all of us to deliver the healthiest and safest event for everyone.

Of course, it isn't just food safety, it is doors and papers, buttons and pens,  touching your phone after touching something and and and...you get the idea.  

So, while I am planning on attending at this point, I will try to  also follow my intuition as we get closer to Expo day.  Sometimes it is difficult to trust your intuition when you are worried however.  

deetoo, BlueBelle, SisterMoon and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@earthmuffin)
Registered
02/23/2020 1:33 am  

Dr. John Campbell is a Nurse Teacher and A&E Nurse based out of England. He has been giving daily updates and analysis of the coronavirus data, and has a very informative YouTube channel:

<a href=" removed link "> removed link

His videos are an excellent source for objective analysis concerning the outbreak, and he does an excellent job of explaining stuff for laypeople such as ourselves.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Admin
02/23/2020 8:51 am  

@earthmuffin  Thank you for joining our community and telling us about Campbell. The first posts when you are new are automatically removed for security. Here is his latest video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VasccCzr2TY

I have watched it and agree he appears to be a reliable and thorough public health teacher, and worth watching.  

His latest video (2/22) is concerning.  Forewarned is forearmed but no need to panic.

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 58
Share: