Clear all

Never Forget

3 Posts
3 Users
34 Likes
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

On this 9/11, just want everyone to pause for a moment to reflect on how the world has changed since this seminal, horrific event.

I'm putting this in the International section because I recognize how American exceptionalism is what created the environment that allowed 9/11 to happen and that continues to allow a downward spiral that is culminating in our current crises.

Where were you when the towers fell?

Where are you now?

What are you doing, as a light warrior, to make the world better?

villager, RosieHeart, BlueBelle and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@quiet)
Reputable Member Registered

I love this topic. A Facebook friend wrote about how she was in DC that day and how frightened she was. She pledged to be a light in the world from then on, and she has. She used almost the same words you did, minus the "warrior." 

I was working a desk job on 9/11 many hundreds of miles away from NYC, PA, and DC. I arrived at my desk and checked the news like always and I saw the news of the first plane hitting the twin towers. The news was sketchy and just coming in. I remember thinking it was a smaller private plane because an accident like that had happened recently. I left my desk to do something, and by the time I came back (not long), my entire dept was in the conference room watching the news. The second plane had hit. I remember later that day my boss said, "Did you hear about Pennsylvania?" I thought it was an internet hoax. I could not fit into my brain that such a thing would happen. My company sent us all home for nearly a week since we had employees in NYC, whose loved ones were either in the towers or first responders.

I have completely changed careers since then. I lost that job in part because of 9/11 and I completely changed my life. It was a 10/11 year process but now I'm a teacher. This is where I belong. Sometimes I worry that my identity is *too* wrapped up in what I do, but then I have a day like I did today, where I saw small things make a huge difference to students. I have a student interested in politics and I encouraged him to join SGA. He won a position and he is on fire! Other students who are reserved and hesitant to speak are coming alive in my class. It might be small, but it's meaningful. It's one step in someone's career, but I see students find talents they didn't know they had. 

Sorry, I get really excited when I talk about my students! I could say that I am a light warrior because of my work with them, but honestly, it's the other way around. People are inherently good. 

I will also add that I've done a little bit of phone banking for state-level politics. My state is purple. People are *motivated.* 

I love this board and the emphasis on positivity and hope. Many thanks to all.

-q

Jeanne Mayell, Marley, villager and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Quiet, what a beautiful reply. September 11, 2001 was a day that changed our lives forever.  And by a variety of circuitous events led you home to your life's calling.

You found your heartsong and you are singing it and it's just lovely.

I saw the towers coming down on one of the first newscasts. Like you I did not believe my eyes, my ears, or that it could truly be happening.

I remember the pain, the deep deep pain of knowing that people were in those buildings and then neither the people not the buildings existed anymore.

I prayed for survivors, I sent love and light and I went into a meditative state in order to bare the pain of so much loss. And then I sat glued to the tv for hours, days, weeks.

And then I did what others did, expressed unity with candles, flying the American flag on our house, in our car windows, and by joining causes that supported our country and its people, it's armed forces, and causes for love and peace.

As someone who'd always sewed, always volunteered and always made things to donate or give away, I became a quilter and eventually a creative arts blogger and made hundreds and hundreds of quilts, art quilts,  and blankets for charitable causes.

I wrote on my blog in memory of 9-11 today in memory. I will never forget that day, Laura F. It's part of our genetic memory now. It reminds me, we may continue to hurt, but we can also heal from even the most challenging experiences in our lives and the life of this great country.

https://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/2018/09/peace-and-healing.html

Jeanne Mayell, villager, RosieHeart and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: