Clear all

Immigration:

81 Posts
23 Users
352 Likes
10.9 K Views
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

My first thought is it is either unconstitutional (which requires extensive and impossible actions by Congress &/or states to change),  or requires a law change (Act of Congress).  

My second thought is that it will motivate thousands of first, second and third generation immigrant citizens  to get to the polls and vote against the Republican Party.  

Michele and Michele reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
Illustrious Member Registered

In his mind, this move serves 3 purposes. 1. To rile the base right before the election, 2. To test his actual power in the face of the constitution, and 3. To test the loyalty of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh when/if it makes it to the Supreme Court. 

Michele, Jeanne Mayell, Michele and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

The 14th Amendment can not ever in any way be changed with an executive order.   This president keeps making claims that he is above the Constitution.  

Here's the 14th Amendment section 1 that shows that children born here are citizens: All persons BORN or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) which is made up of lawyers versed in our Constitutional Rights, immediately  issued a response to  Drump for his uneducated, wrong, and inflammatory claim that he will take away people's citizenship.  

ReplyQuote
 lynn
(@lynn)

This is just a ploy to rev up his crazy base, and to make the rest of us just plain crazier than we already are.  Don't waste energy on this folks. It's trump being an abuser. He can issue all the exec orders he wants, it's not gonna happen. Focus on voting and keeping calm. Don't let that monster rattle you, at least now with this nonsense.

Michele, Jeanne Mayell, Michele and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Actually, just reving up conversation. Look at the wonderful additional input we're getting here.  

We never know whose reading here as a guest or what teachable moments we have!

Love how much I learn from all of you!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Axios reported that Trump had obtained legal advice in the White House for ending birthright citizenship.  Do they mean Stephen Miller? I am sure this is the white house legal advice he received.

LalaBella and LalaBella reacted
ReplyQuote
 lynn
(@lynn)

Probably Jay Sekulow.  You can get a crackpot attorney to render a crackpot piece of advice. It doesn't mean it's going to pass muster.

ReplyQuote
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor

I don't want to offend anyone, but I need to get this out of my system cause it will feel really good!

For the sake of argument, let's say Trump was able to change the constitution (we all know he can't).  His grand-father was an illegal immigrant.  He didn't want to join the German army for a war they were fighting at the time, so he ran to the US.  That would mean, his father would not have been a US citizen therefore neither would he be.  

So, if he was able to go ahead with that, would he know he would not be an American citizen?  I don't think he's smart and aware enough to understand.   And not being an American = can't be president! 

Ironic, isn't it?  Trump was a leader of the birther movement.  Obama's mother was from long line of Americans.  Even if his father's was Kenyan, Obama has more American blood in him than Trump could ever dream of having. 

Please know there is nothing wrong about being an immigrant or being the child of an immigrant.  On the contrary!  More is added to our culture!  I also am from a country of immigrants and proud of it!  I may have had a little fun just now, going through Trump's genealogy, but I accept and respect his ancestry.

Sorry again but it felt good sharing this with you.  I'm not American and I understand the US constitution better than he does!  Let's pray for wisdom is  sent to all the voters.  Let's send our angels so they ensure the validity of each vote and is representing the true will of the people.

TaG22, Michele, TaG22 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Love this, Bright Opal!! 

His grand-father was an illegal immigrant.  He didn't want to join the German army for a war they were fighting at the time, so he ran to the US.  That would mean, his father would not have been a US citizen therefore neither would he be.  

Didn't even realize Trumps own grandfather was an illegal immigrant.  

I love that you let it all out! And yes, we're sick of it all, too.

But boy do we learn in the process! 

Sophie and Sophie reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

His grandfather was illegal, and his wife(Melania for sure, not sure on Ivanka) was illegal so he is indirectly trying to recind his, and his entire family's citizenship. Sounds like there is a little self-loathing going on beneath all that narcissism

LalaBella, Sophie, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 lynn
(@lynn)

Here's a link to an op-ed from today's Wash Post written by a former acting solicitor general and Kellyanne Conway's husband. It gives a great explanation about why trump's proposal is a lot of hot air. Don't worry peeps, this thing is going nowhere. It's just a distraction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-proposal-to-end-birthright-citizenship-is-unconstitutional/2018/10/30/4615ab5c-dc85-11e8-b3f0-62607289efee_story.html?utm_term=.66002f1931e4

LalaBella, Sophie, Michele and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tag22)
Prominent Member Registered

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered

Trump's suggestion that he could do this by executive order is nuts.   I was hoping that maybe this is more junk he's throwing at the wall to see if it sticks, but then reading today that Lindsey Graham says he'll propose legislation to do this if Trump doesn't just made my head -- and heart -- hurt.

As I said in another thread, I probably would no longer be an American citizen by Trump's thinking.  Both of my parents were born in the U.S. but neither set of my grandparents (from Ireland and Germany/Hungary) were naturalized at the time my parents were born.  So, therefore, I would not be a citizen either under this reasoning.

Ironically, I DO qualify for Irish citizenship  through my grandparents.  I've verified that in the past, but never did the paperwork.  I may have to take another look at doing that if this insane idea proceeds.   I love Ireland, and still have family there.  I could happily spend my retirement years there, if necessary.

Sophie and Sophie reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

So Trump is now saying that if migrants throw rocks they can be fired upon?? This is crazy 

I hope not" but quickly adding, "Anybody throwing rocks ... we will consider that a firearm.

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

White House
Pentagon sending 5,200 troops to the border in 'Operation Faithful Patriot' amid Trump condemnation of migrant caravan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/pentagon-send-5-200-troops-u-s-mexico-border-operation-n925866?fbclid=IwAR1wHRwjXfXv_Sfy19r46iqju7Op0n5mQ6Z_wbmxlkzLqf2VX8vgZCBxZPI

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Want to call out the hate speech Trump is spouting about immigrants.  Last night the Washington Post reported these statements from him at one of his rallies in Missouri:

Donald Trump: The Democrats want to continue giving automatic birthright citizenship to every child born to an illegal alien. Even if they’ve been on our soil for a mere matter of seconds. Hundreds of thousands of children born to illegal immigrants are made automatic citizens of the United States every year, because of this crazy lunatic policy that we can end.

And they’re all made instantly eligible for every privilege and benefit of American citizenship. All of you, you get nothing more than they do. They’re full citizens. And it’s costing us many, many billions of dollars a year. --Donald Trump

The Lies in this speech: 

1. That this policy is from the Democrats.  No, it's bedrock American policy that is part of the Fourteenth Amendment of the U .S. Constitution, adopted right after the Civil War. This policy is part of what makes America what it has prided  itself in being. 

2. That this policy is "a crazy lunatic policy."  No, it's bedrock American policy that is part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, adopted and passed by a supermajority (two/thirds) of the U.S. Congress.  

3. That the children of immigrants who are automatically granted citizenship because they are born here are  "costing us many, many billions of dollars a year."  Totally made-up.  There is no data to support this. 

This hate speech is unAmerican, discriminatory, monstrous, and a lie.  

LalaBella and LalaBella reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tag22)
Prominent Member Registered

Cop Killer in Video Released by Sheriff Joe / https://politicalwire.com/topics/immigration/

Trump leaves a deep bruise on my soul every time he opens his mouth especially about these refugees.  I had trouble sleeping last night after hearing his latest rants.  The above story cheered me up some.  Joe Arpaio was the guy who released this so called cop killer featured in the new ad.  Oh, the irony.

lenor and lenor reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

TaG22, thanks for those articles.  --   (1).That there is growing fear among Republican operatives that the campaign that Trump is mounting against immigrants will backfire and cause more people to get to the polls and vote against the GOP. 

(2) That the uncle of White House political consultant Steven Miller said that the migrants remind him of his Jewish ancestors seeking asylum in the U.S. 

(3). the Department of Defense informed the White House that the migrants posed no threat to national security. 

Unk p, Michele, TaG22 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Not sure if this is the right Immigration forum for me to post this:

The Supreme Court is hearing arguments today in a set of cases involving the legal status of DACA recipients.  T**** tried to rescind this program seven months after taking office, but the lower courts blocked his action.

A decision on DACA is expected by this summer.  I'd read that Congressional Repubs may be hoping that the high court will let them off the hook, and rule in favor of DACA.

Just a request to keep them in your prayers, and that justice will prevail.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

@deetoo

I hope that DACA is not taking away from the children and now young adult who were brought here by there parents. They did not have a choice. 

If anyone has Netflix, please watch living undocumented. I have only watched 3 episodes. I love how the attorneys give the law and explain why they can’t just wait in line to get a green card. It explains how long it takes and why that is also no longer possible because of Clinton. This programs follow immigrants of all race not just Hispanics and shows you what is going on in there lives. 

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: