Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Bolsonaro in Brazil?

Matt
(@matt)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Greetings to all,

I'm not particularly gifted in terms of seeing things, but I do try to be an avid follower of other people's visions.

Is anyone here familiar with Jair Bolsonaro? They're calling him the Trump of Brazil and he's largely expected to win the election there. He's on record as saying things such as that Pinochet ought to have killed more dissenters during his time as dictator of Chile (over 3,000 Chilean citizens were murdered under the Pinochet regime) and has spoken glowingly about the military dictatorship that ruled Brazil up through the 80s, stating that ,"the error of the dictatorship was that it tortured, but did not kill." He also stated back in the 90s that, if he ever became president, he would begin a coup and shut down the Brazilian National Congress. He regularly talks about arresting "the Left" in Brazil and is openly hostile to women, gays, lesbians, and other minorities. He's kind of a scary guy. Wikipedia: Jair Bolsonaro

Is anyone seeing if he in fact wins? Any visions of what we can expect to happen in the country? I don't have any roots or connections to Brazil but this guy scares me on a deep, fundamental level.

Marley and Marley reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Matt, two weeks ago a client asked me to predict the Brazil election. I knew nothing about the candidates but threw some cards and did some inner visioning. I looked at the two candidates about five weeks after the election to make sure I was getting images of them well past instead of before the election.  Bolsonaro was smiling and Haddad alone and unhappy.   Then my client told me who they were and I was very sad about it. I hope I'm wrong. 

Marley, Matt, Marley and 1 people reacted
 Matt
(@matt)
Topic starter  

That's horrifying. However flawed, we have checks and balances in place and a long tradition of democratic rule of law that has prevented us from sliding into the abyss under Trump. Brazil's tradition of democracy is relatively short lived. I really fear for the worst there.

Sophie and Sophie reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Matt, maybe I should look at it again.  That was two weeks ago.  Sometimes things change.  My mind is too filled with administrative duties tonight to get a good read on it. I will try to look again soon.  Sending love and light to Brazil.

Matt and Matt reacted
(@lauri-h)

FYI, this article just posted in the Washington Post. It appears authoritarianism and fascism continues to rise, for the moment.  Sending light to Brazil’s people..

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

This may be the link to the Washington Post article that Lauri H.  was referring to:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/the_americas/brazil-shed-a-military-dictatorship-now-it-looks-again-toward-iron-fisted-rule/2018/10/26/63fecfc4-d6de-11e8-8384-bcc5492fef49_story.html

"Brazil shed a military dictatorship. Now it looks again toward iron-fisted rule. "

(@lauri-h)

Thanks, Michele, I fumble fingered the copy and paste of the link!

Michele and Michele reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Can't bring myself to click "like" but thanks Lauri and Michele for pointing to the article. It explains some of the backstory, that polls say the people want a tougher more authoritarian governments to solve economic problems and crime.  Maybe, but I wonder whose cyber bots are inundating Brazilian social media in favor of a fascist solution.  

Michele and Michele reacted
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

He was just elected. 

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

mariad and mariad reacted
(@muriel)
Reputable Member Registered

He made it clear during his campainthat Trump was vis model.

But I am afraid that he might be even more dangerous for Brazilian people and global warming. A sad day for the world.

Anyway, I want to stay optimistic that he won't be able to do what he wants concerning Amazonia.

Sophie and Sophie reacted
(@maria-d-white)
Noble Member Registered

I didn't want to post about Bolsonaro before he got elected because I could tell he was about to win, and I knew people would find it rather depressing. And anyway, Jeanne said it already.

The story is, in a nutshell, that Brazil is going through hard times and there's been a backlash against the previous president, as it usually happens when times are tough. Crime has been going through the roof, and as it usually happens in those cases, people went for the strongman that promises law and order.

And as it usually happens, people will get law and order... plenty of it. And those that don't like Bolsonaro's kind of order, for whatever reason, are out of luck. He is likely to get a lot of what he wants, including screwing the Amazonia, I'm afraid. Which is bad news for the planet in general, and most especially America, beginning with the South but also the North.

People in the future will probably remember these years we are living now as the time when climate change became inevitable. When the last train came and left without humanity choosing to catch it. The years when the Paris agreement was made as weak as possible and still the most powerful nation in the world walked out of it, when Amazonia was sentenced to death, when the last remnants of multi-year ice melted in the Arctic and hurricanes said loud and clear they were getting stronger and flooding more than ever.

If there is any hope of the Amazonia being saved, help won't come from North America but from Chinese self-interest. They live in the same planet, after all, and they are a major trade partner of Brazil, so they can make demands if they choose to.

Michele, Muriel, Michele and 1 people reacted
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor

Trudeau is pro environment.  Maybe Canada will help... 

I think I like dreaming.  With next year's election, I wonder if we are going to go to the right as well.  Usually the province of Quebec (sometimes Ontario), and well, French Canadian aren't very happy people right now, for whatever reason.  

But the current Foreign Minister didn't seem happy with the election results either.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tasker-canada-statement-brazil-far-right-1.4882380

Share: