Notifications
Clear all

Bolivia Coup

(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant
Topic starter  

A few days ago, a far-right fascist coup broke out in Bolivia, causing the president Morales to resign. What does this mean to the country?

ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Illustrious Member Registered

@enkasongwriter

When the unrest started in Bolivia, my primary news source was the New York Times, and I originally went along with the rationalizations they and most other mainstream news sources were making about why anti-Morales rancor was justified (his 13-year tenure, cult of personality presidency, too much state intervention). But this recent Guardian article by a member of the Brule Sioux tribe that looks at the coup from an indigenous perspective got me thinking more. Bolivia is a majority indigenous country, and Evo Morales was the country's first native president. So this coup is a colonial, ethnic reaction to Morales's more inclusive, indigenous-centered political movement.

But the far-right, Christian fundamentalists who ousted Morales will not last for long at all. I've been seeing the 2020s as a decade when indigenous activism and general social justice movements will combine the world over to create a powerful new force for change. We saw the precursors to this with the Standing Rock protest, which brought together light workers from a diversity of skin tones and national origins under the banner of sacred activism. Bolivia will be caught up in this energetic shift, and I feel that justice there will be restored sooner rather than later.  

Enkasongwriter, TriciaCT, Aheartbegins and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coyote, Thank you for this beautiful and sensitive answer. 

ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant
Topic starter  

@coyote I would like to bump this post up because Evo Morales' party won in a landslide. I see this as a sign that democracy will triumph and the US will follow suit by voting trump out.

https://theintercept.com/2020/10/19/bolivia-returns-evo-morales-party-to-power-one-year-after-a-u-s-applauded-coup/

Share, Vesta, Share and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: