Clear all

Music, Videos, Poetry that Gets Us Through

499 Posts
55 Users
3285 Likes
32.8 K Views
(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

Herman Munster, who was played by Fred Gwynn, on the Munsters TV show, once taught his son something that is becoming popular to share right now. "It doesn't matter what you look like, you can be tall or short, or ugly or handsome, black or white - it doesn't matter, what does matter is the size of your heart and the strength of your character"  Words to live by!

I actually got to meet Fred Gwynn once in the 80s. I was in Bedford, NY and got lost leaving a friend's house. It was late, dark and misty/drizzle rain. I got turned around/lost and pulled into a long driveway to turn my car around and go back the way I came but I had to calm myself down because I got nervous when I was lost. I was about to pull back out of the driveway, when a very tall and looming man came to my window. I was scared because I was in his driveway at night. He knocked on my window and I lowered it just a bit so I could talk to him. He asked If I was all right. I said "OMG, you are Herman Munster!" he said "Actually, I'm Fred Gwynn!"  (lol). I told him I was lost and he calmed me down and then told me how to get back to the main road. He mentioned if I still got lost to come back and he would let me follow him in his car to the main road. I was so thankful and he was so sweet and nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYSKhRG6G8

Jeanne Mayell, CDeanne, Tiger-n-Owl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@triciact,

???  OMG, that story is priceless!  Thank you for sharing that, my friend.  I needed to laugh like that!  He does sound like a very kind and sweet man.

? ❤️ 

Jeanne Mayell, Tiger-n-Owl, polarberry and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Tricia, lucky you! I would have probably asked him to autograph my car! I love him. He was so hilarious in My Cousin Vinny.

"Are you mockin' me with that outfit?!"

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@polarberry

That was one of my favorite funny movies too!  Another funny thing is I got to talk to Joe Pesci on the phone once. He was friends with a friend of mine. She asked me if I wanted to speak to him (late 80s) and I thought she was kidding. Nope - she put me on the phone with him and sure enough I started to ask if it was really him and I started to imitate his voice back at him (thinking it wasn't really Joe Pesci) and he started to say that to me "Are you mocking me?!!" I was laughing so hard, then my friend says to me "look that is really Joe Pesci!!" I was floored. LOL

Jeanne Mayell, Tiger-n-Owl, polarberry and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

WOW!! I love him too! He's been in some amazing movies.

I love My Cousin Vinny because my family are NY'ers and I can just picture them dropped in the middle of Alabama. LOL

One of my favorite lines is "Stan, I've seen your parents argue. Trust me, they're amateurs!"

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@triciact, and yet another funny story!  I can just hear Pesci saying that to you.  I loved him in "My Cousin Vinny."   @polarberry, I'd forgotten about that line.  Really funny.

Tricia, what really made me laugh about your Fred Gwynne story was I imagined him standing outside your car window in full Herman Munster makeup.  Did you know that he was a Harvard-educated, classically trained actor?  I heard that in a TV bio about him.

I once met Al Pacino back in the 80's.  Not through chance or through a friend; more as one of those annoying fans.  A friend and I went to see him in "American Buffalo" at The Kennedy Center.  My friend  had one too many drinks over
dinner -- okay, she was drunk -- and I had to stop her from jumping up onstage after the performance was over.  The only way I could talk her down was to promise that we could wait for Pacino outside, in the hopes for an autograph.  Pacino finally exited the building wearing a running suit, drenched in sweat and totally worn out.  I was surprised by how introverted he was.  BIG signature, though (lol!).

About Pacino's performance -- we were in the front row and his emotions were so raw that it took my breath away.  Incredible actor. 

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, polarberry and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

You guys are naming all my favorite actors!

Even when Pacino has done interviews, he is introverted. I've read that he takes his privacy, and that of his family, very seriously.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@deetoo

Not surprised he was classically trained. I had actually heard that Al Pacino was very shy. A lot of actors have stated they are very shy when off-stage. Acting helps them deal with their emotions and their inability to show them outwardly.

Jeanne Mayell, polarberry, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

He's also struggled off and on for years with depression.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

No time for breezy

No time for arguments

No time for love like now

There's no time in the bardo

No time in the in-between

No time for love like now

Here is Michael Stipe's new song, No Time for Love Like Now

https://youtu.be/feaUtv83NVI

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Stargazer and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@unk-p

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful song ... it gave me chills and really felt it in my heart as that is exactly what I am doing .. waiting...

Michael Stipe has matured so much ... REM always touched my soul ... loved their 'Losin' My Religion' with the angel in chains ...

You are the best, Unk, bless you ....?

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@stargazer  thank you for saying that, Stargazer. I really appreciate you, and what you bring to the forum, too.

I am glad that you liked Michael Stipe's new song.  I agree with you about the old Losing My Religion video.  It was one of those rare videos that was as interesting visually as it was as a song.  Tarsem Singh directed that one.  He also directed the Deep Forest Sweet Lullaby video:   https://youtu.be/CBUV-AH3HY8

I have been in an awful mood the last couple of days, so i might go back to being a lurkey turkey for a while, until i can get into a better headspace.

peace&love

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Stargazer and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@unk-p

I am in awe. Thank you... it is a gift and hope everyone can see it. Deep Forest... and Sweet Lullaby ? ... a surrealistic dream... 

" In gratitude, a lament that speaks to us of a passing world "

Tarsem Singh has to be elevated to 'Nobel' genius status.....

That 'headspace' you are in seems to be a blues that is contagious at present ... sometimes I retreat to a secret place deep within, a place in a deep forest where dappled sunlight is filtering through the branches of sheltering fragrant trees. There is a glowing pool where a unicorn is kneeling to touch the healing water ... I drink of it and fall asleep like a child on the warm mossy ground amidst the wildflowers...

Think I'll go there right now listening to 'Sweet Lullaby'....

Feel better dear Unk ... there are angels all around you .....

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

(It's the Earth Child within me ~Saturn/Virgo)....

The usual finale of the unicorn pool meditation is : a bluebird flies over and lands one on my eye. Woke! Lols ....

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@unk, I can relate to what you are feeling right now.  I'm right there with you.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good soul, feelin' bad ...

I've been telling myself that from time to time.  It helps a bit.

Sending a smile, a big hug and lots of love your way. ?

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@deetoo thank you, my friend.  I don't know if i told you how surprised i was when you posted Richie Havens and John Pavlovitz on the same day.  Two of my most favorite humans, posted by a third!     Much love to you!

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p Michael Stipe/REM have been my favorites since I heard "Gardening at Night" when I was 14. I love that he released something new. It reminded me, though ... have you seen the interview he gave with Stephen Colbert earlier in the year? He told Stephen that he's stopped watching the news, gotten off of all social media. Stephen asked him how he gets all of his anxiety, and Michael replies that he's an antenna. It's a beautiful interview ... Stephen mentioned Michael's "vibration" in the world.

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

Hi @saibh!   so glad to hear that your father is out of the hospital and on the road to recovery.   And yes, i did catch that interview w Michael Stipe.  What an interesting and humble person.

Hope that everyone is enjoying the Solstice! Here is The Orb, with  Little Fluffy Clouds

https://youtu.be/ighwaCdPQ-A?list=TLPQMjAwNjIwMjBzbYjwFxIAQA

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Stargazer and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

I'm linking these three YouTube videos of a very popular (like, *the* most popular) singer in China at the moment.  His name is Hua Chenyu, and he is a 30-year-old singer, composer, performer, and multi-instrumentalist.  He is also an extremely humble, down-to-earth, and highly spiritual person.  These three songs are a trilogy, to be heard in order for the complete message to be understood.  The first is "Sacred Tree", or "God Tree", in which the end of things is described and lamented.  The second, "Arrival", describes the time of re-creation after the fall, and the last, "New World" describes entering this new creation with a new spirit and mindset.  I hope you enjoy them. :-)

A quick note: the songs are in Mandarin Chinese, but each of them have English subtitles if you click on the CC button in Youtube.  I also apologize in advance that there isn't a better version of the first one, but the song and subtitles are the important part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPms2fNX7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUmrW1PxkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3oSD9X-EA

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

An excellent rendition of the Marvin Gaye song which rings true even now with all that is going on.

What's Going On with Sara Bareilles and artists from around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEp7QrOBxyQ&fbclid=IwAR1XRAkqNC6qdNUPrnLopGw7bCX0Zp--WRkIGAf4wUwWmTuKsRrs-ZPok4o&app=desktop

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 25
Share: