Movies that inspire us  

RSS

(@lovendures)
Registered
11/10/2019 12:59 am  

I went to the movies with my family today. I haven't been to a movie theatre for awhile and wanted to see a film that was inspiring.  We chose Harriett.  

I absolutely left inspired!   The story of Harriett Tubman is very relevant right now.  It is a reminder that one person can make a difference. A huge difference.  She is such a powerful reminder of everything that Trump hates.  

Think about it.

A courageous and powerful black woman leader who flees slavery, illegally crosses the boarder and leads  an underground network to free others like herself, eventually becoming the first woman to lead an armed expedition in the Civil War — the Combahee River Raid, which resulted in the liberation of over 700 slaves in South Carolina.  She also is  said to have had strong intuitive gifts which guided her along the way.

It is the stuff Trump's nightmares are made of right? 

Which is why he stopped the Congressional Act of placing her image on the $20 dead in it's tracks. 

We need to be reminded that there are people who have lead just and courageous lives throughout history's darkest times.  Which leads me to my next point.  While watching movie previews before Harriett, the preview for A Hidden Life was shown.  If you haven't seen the preview, you might want to do so.  Again, it would seem a movie to inspire us now about true events from a dark time and how the act of one can mean everything. I can't wait to see it when it comes out.  That and A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood cuz well, can't we all use a little bit of Mr. Rogers in our life right now too?.  

Below is a link to the preview for A Hidden Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXmdY4lVR0

Unk p, Yofisofi, Coyote and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Admin
11/10/2019 11:11 am  

@lovendures  I'm psyched!  Thanks for posting both of these movies. 

ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
Registered
11/11/2019 1:37 am  

@lovendures

It is the stuff Trump's nightmares are made of right?

Which is why he stopped the Congressional Act of placing her image on the $20 dead in it's tracks.

which is why we will have to make the Harriet Tubman bills ourselves.  Here is a link that will show how to make your own Tubman stamps to transform all of those pesky A Jackson 20's into Harriets.  And it is totally legal.  They also sell ready  made HT stamps, if you are not the crafty type.

https://tubmanstamp.com/

https://tubmanstamp.com/make/

The holidays are coming, send some to your loved ones

Lilinoe liked
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Registered
11/11/2019 1:08 pm  

I went to see "Midway" yesterday.  It was very good. It was patriotic. Just what we need now. 

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Registered
11/11/2019 4:33 pm  

@elaineg

I am very glad to hear Midway was  a good movie.  I would like to see it  but did't know anyone who had seen it and have been wondering if it was good.  

Lilinoe liked
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Registered
11/11/2019 7:06 pm  

@lovendures

It's the type of movie that must be seen on the big screen. The special effects are amazing. I hope you go see it. I could watch it again.

ReplyQuote
(@echec_et_maths)
Registered
12/03/2019 6:48 am  

This one may be a bit off from the topic, as for me it's not so much inspirational as a cautionary tale. I watched "The Road" a week ago, and it made me think of what Jeanne wrote a few years back, that if humanity keeps going on its current trajectory, that there'll only be a few scattered bands of hunter-gatherers left (but she also stated she felt we'd avoid that at the last minute).

The movie is about a "cold" apocalypse, rather than a hot one, but the prospects are just as grim. I watched it because post-apocalyptic and survivalist genres intrigue me, but I wouldn't recommend it if you easily get scared by suspense or horror movies (it's not technically a horror movie, but awful things do happen).

don't read further if you don't want spoilers.

[SPOILER WARNING. DON'T READ FUTHER]

A couple of takeaways. Under the harshest of conditions (war, concentration camps, famines, plagues), people can completely lose their humanity and do the unthinkable in order to survive. The second takeaway was that I could see that the boy had the feminine/empathy/cooperative thing Jeanne was talking about in the other thread. Had the father had that earlier instead of fear/mistrust, perhaps it would have helped him/them and have prevented his demise (not guaranteed, but it's an idea).

I'm still a bit split about the sharing/cooperative idea taking hold of people, because humans have been stampeding and slaughtering each other for scarce resources for millenia, and it looks wired in their genetics. I'd be surprised if they suddenly stopped the practice, and suddenly became generous when this age of abundance ends.

ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Registered
12/03/2019 9:47 am  

I'm all for helping people, but it is usually just give it to them. Well in September, my sick friend needed a car to get around. My rich brother had given me one of his old cars (2007), so I loaned my old 1994 jeep to him. Seems though it wasn't for him, but a neighbor.  They zipped into town to get it the same day, but comes the day they got their own car, did I get my car back? No, it took three weeks. So I don't know about sharing. Last summer I gave a neighbor a window air conditioner. Recently, I gave the same neighbor a pet friendly space heater, so I'm not against helping.

ReplyQuote
(@lenor)
Registered
12/03/2019 11:32 am  

My all time favorites are “ What dreams may come” with Robin Williams and “Starman” with Jeff Bridges. Oldies but goodies.

TriciaCT liked
ReplyQuote
Share: