Notifications
Clear all

In The Garden  

Page 3 / 5
  RSS

(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
05/29/2020 2:27 pm  

@frank you have an amazing garden. We enjoy seeing people's photos here, but good to keep it lite.

Lenor liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Reputable Member Registered
05/29/2020 2:58 pm  

@frank

That is so inspiring Frank, to see your wonderful garden space... you have put your labor of love on the bigtime charts!

But hey, where's that Meyer lemon tree? 😉

Unk p, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Noble Member Registered
05/29/2020 4:07 pm  

I love you garden photos @Frank.  Thank you for the inspiration.

Unk p, Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Estimable Member Registered
05/29/2020 4:36 pm  

Thanks @jeanne-mayell.  Perhaps it would be better to link to a photo sharing service like Flikr or something rather than attaching photos here.  I can't edit those posts anymore, but going forward...

@stargazer  I wish citrus could survive here! 😪 

Laynara liked
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Famed Member Admin
05/29/2020 8:55 pm  

@frank I left them in because they are beautiful. And people are allowed to post photos on the site, just want to stay photo lite. Your gardens are so inspiring.

TriciaCT, deetoo, Unk p and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
05/30/2020 3:36 pm  

@frank  looking at your garden, i suddenly realize how lazy i am. Beautiful pics.

@stargazer - i am with you on loving all things lemon, and like you and @claire, i tried a Meyer's lemon tree.  It just sat there for 12 years and never grew, and that was in CA, where you would think it would have done great.  But one of my neighbors just gave me a tree that has giant lemons-  big enough to cut in half and eat with a spoon, like a grapefruit.  Yay!

ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
05/30/2020 4:16 pm  

@unk-p

But those little thin-skinned Meyers, unk ...so yummy for lemon meringue pie! The flavor! I don't know why the trees are so temperamental ... may be a new research project worth looking into if I live that long lols.... 😉

TriciaCT, deetoo and Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Honorable Member Registered
05/30/2020 7:42 pm  

This garden thread is just the best idea.  Here in the Northwest, we are still under stay at home orders and working in the garden has been a great joy as we endure the pandemic and now a season of grief and protests over racism and police violence.  Unsettling times, and yet when we enter the garden we are connecting with the earth and planting is aways an act of optimism about the future, isn't it?  

So in the past few months, we watched our daffodils and early blooming trees in the first days of spring and then the rhododendrons and lilacs started blooming.  My husband works in the yard every day.  Yesterday, he was pruning back a hedge that had encroached three feet across our driveway.  Before he finished, he cut some roses from the garden arch for me.

TriciaCT, Stargazer, Unk p and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
05/31/2020 12:02 am  

@unk-p LOL. Thanks! I'm a Taurus so gardening is like breathing for me... also it's not like I have anything else to do with my free time right now. 😃

Stargazer and Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
(@firstcat)
Eminent Member Registered
05/31/2020 7:04 pm  

Lovely,

What are the perennials?   I have just made one sweet potato bin out of old roof tin.  now I am looking to make a chicken coop.  My neighbor gave me 15 tomato plants.  I potted them, gave some away, and now have 8.  They are just blooming with about 4 tomatoes about the size of a Lima bean.  I also have zucchini  and cucumber.  The neighbor says I will need Dipel for pests, but I have not bought that yet. We are in North Central Florida.  Where are you?

TriciaCT, Unk p, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@firstcat)
05/31/2020 7:06 pm  

Please watch the movie "The Beautiful Fantastic".  It really encourages the spiritual side of gardening, and is a heart moving movie.

TriciaCT, Unk p, Stargazer and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@firstcat)
05/31/2020 7:07 pm  

@bluebelle I never met a racist potato.  You are so right!!!

TriciaCT, Unk p, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
05/31/2020 7:53 pm  

@firstcat

I recently had the pleasure of seeing ' This Beautiful Fantastic ' and loved it!!

That's so cool that you found it too, and thank you for sharing something so uplifting that everyone can feel the love from ...

Man, does everyone on this forum need it right now... a little respite!

💚💚💚🌹💚💚💚

ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
05/31/2020 8:11 pm  

PS... (' This Beautiful Fantastic ' on YouTube free of charge)

Laynara and Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
(@pikake)
05/31/2020 9:10 pm  
Posted by: @unk-p

Even more so, ever since i had that visit from the Dandelion deva. 

@unk-p, did you write about this visit anywhere on the forum? I am a huge fan of the work of the Findhorn garden founders & of anyone who speaks with plant devas.

ReplyQuote
(@frank)
06/01/2020 12:53 am  

Hi @firstcat. I think you were responding to me.... The "perennials" moniker was a bit of a tongue in cheek description of my vineyard: Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Tempranillo, Sangiovese and Roussane wine grapes  We're in Los Ranchos, NM, a village on the north side of Albuquerque. I would hold off on the dipel. There are plenty of much less toxic ways of dealing with pests IF you need to. 

Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
06/01/2020 11:42 am  

@firstcat  Sorry, I misspoke about the Dipel in the previous post.  I confused it with some other pesticide.  Apparently it is BT which is about the least toxic pesticide you can find.  It is a bacteria that is very specifically targeted to just moth forming caterpillars, like tomato worms.

Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
06/02/2020 2:27 am  

sorry i didn't respond sooner- i just had to get away from everything for awhile @firstcat @stargazer   here is a link to the movie "This Beautiful Fantastic"- free on youtube (but with commercials):  https://youtu.be/G8yhL0lcQ5g   Thanks for recommending it. Looking forward to watching it!

@frank -so you are growing your own groceries and your own wine?   oh, wait- wine is groceries, hehheh

@pikake this happened when i was thinking of pulling up this big crop of dandelions that had popped up in my yard in SF.  The dandelion deva showed up to remind me that everything has a purpose.  And that everything was, and is, created in a spirit of love and complete  innocence.  

I read recently that even roaches have made a crucial contribution to the planet.  Researchers have discovered that roaches- over the course of millions of years- have made enough nitrogen available on Earth to allow for plants to grow here.  So we kind of owe our lives to roaches.

So now i don't pull up dandelions.  And if a roach gets in the house, i try to catch it and put it back outside.  Unless the cats get it first, and then it's "sorry, dude, or dudette".

deetoo liked
ReplyQuote
(@pikake)
06/02/2020 10:10 am  
Posted by: @unk-p

And that everything was, and is, created in a spirit of love and complete  innocence.  

@unk-p That was lovely, thank you. Yes, all life has a purpose. After reading the books by Dorothy MacLean, one of the co-founders of Findhorn, I catch & release bugs but like you, if the cats get to it first, then I have to trust to the circle of life. It was in MacLean books that I was first introduced to the devas and how to co-create with them. I still don’t have a green thumb when it comes to orchids but have managed to keep my potted plants alive for several years. Yay!!

Stargazer and Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
06/02/2020 11:29 am  

A small-town nursery owner is having a mid-life crisis, and decides he needs to do something different to shake him out of his funk, so he decides he's going to run across his state. Small town, so word of his plans gets out, and the townspeople gather to see him off.

He says goodbye and takes off down the road, and one of the townspeople yells out, "Run, florist! Run!"

Unk p and Laynara liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
06/02/2020 12:45 pm  

@pikake

I loved the Findhorn gardens and thank you for the reminder! I had the book ' The Magic of Findhorn' many years ago...

Yeah, it's a joy to invite nature spirits into our little Universes isn't it.... I will definitely look up that book again! 🌸

ReplyQuote
(@pikake)
06/02/2020 1:28 pm  

@stargazer At a time like this when we need healing from Nature, it’s so soothing to connect with the devas. Sounds as if you work often with them. All books on Findhorn are my go-to books and you might enjoy Dorothy Maclean’s To Hear The Angels Sing - I believe she has sketches of the plant devas as she envisioned them in this one; she has written many including Call of the Trees. Then there’s the other co-founder Eileen Caddy, who wrote about tapping the divine wisdom within. Her first book was, I believe, God Spoke to Me.

I was in Findhorn in 2018 for their very first conference on co-creating with Nature Spirits in 50 years & we visited the original garden in which these three worked with the devas. There was a luminescence in the garden, like a golden air of calmness, not stillness because life was blooming all around us. Picture shows part of the garden & the caravan in which 3 of them lived. On the garden gates are inscribed Eileen Caddy's words “Be Still and Know.” 

Btw, when I went to Findhorn.org to get the full title of Eileen Caddy’s book just a few minutes ago, the angel card for Compassion appeared. “ Heartfelt understanding of the human condition that encompasses the pain in oneself and others, dissolves judgment and opens the way for acceptance. A sincere desire to alleviate suffering.“

1591119109-0270B946-AB40-4F6D-BA56-6711CE7DA376.jpeg

Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
06/02/2020 2:18 pm  

@pikake

💛💛💚😘💚💛💛

ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
06/02/2020 2:35 pm  

As we move into hotter weather, just wanted to remind everyone to leave out a water source for the wildlife.  Most birds can't swim, and are afraid of deep water, so shallow containers are best.  Shallow water usually dries up before mosquitos can breed, but it should be checked often to see if it needs changing, or just a refill

deetoo, Stargazer, Pikake and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
06/02/2020 4:19 pm  

this made me laugh:

Wonkette, from

Mi Mamacita Communista, or Things My Mother Taught Me

* If I don't water my plants, she is going to take them away, because I do not deserve to own plants.

* Also, my dog.

* And my son.

* Whom she will rename Fidel.

* Both of them.

https://www.wonkette.com/raise-less-corn-more-hell-2645964748

ReplyQuote
(@frank)
06/02/2020 4:55 pm  

@unk-p  In my house, wine is food! 😊 🍷 

Unk p and Share liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
06/02/2020 5:02 pm  

@pikake

What a treasure trove! Beautiful, beautiful post , and much appreciated right now.... I can feel those little nature spirits (and the Great Pan) humming all around you!

Dorothy MacLean and Eileen Caddy sound amazing and well worth checking out. We need all the inspiration that we can find in this time of maelstrom... I am barely keeping the tears at bay most of the time, as I know so many are ... if only everyone could tune into the magic of plants and creation on this sublime level, a world alight could emerge from the fog....

Love you and give little Pikake a big hug for me 💛

Unk p and Pikake liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
06/02/2020 5:04 pm  

@unk-p

You're a treasure too unk ... 💛

Unk p liked
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
06/02/2020 6:11 pm  

@stargazer...in this time of maelstrom... I am barely keeping the tears at bay most of the time, as I know so many are ... 

i hear you.  When i posted that song at the opening of this thread, it felt really urgent to me.  I went back and looked at it today, because i couldn't remember what day i had posted it. It was May 25

When you go out in the street,

So many hassles with the heat;

No one there can fill your desire.

Cops out with the megaphones,

Tellin' people stay inside their homes.

Man, can't they see the world's on fire?

this was posted 2 hours before George Floyd was murdered.

i am weeping.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

deetoo, Lilinoe, Goldstone and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
06/02/2020 6:28 pm  

@unk-p

I have been listening to our late great bard Tom Petty today ....

This song from his album "Echo" is especially for the here and now ...

Rhino Skin *

💛🎶💛

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: