Clear all

In The Garden  

Page 2 / 5
  RSS

(@stargazer)
Reputable Member Registered
05/27/2020 3:12 pm  

@polarberry

Snapdragons, Dels and Foxgloves are so pretty and some of my very favorites as well ... the jewel-toned varieties that they are available in is remarkable. The deep velvety red black snaps are wow....

It's suprising that no one has mentioned lavenders, sage or the fantastic world of herb gardening so far... there are so, so many culinary and medicinal herbs that are easy to grow and the rewards of this are like ... a holy blessing!

The fragrances, the textures, the beauty of herbal plants and the myriad of uses they gift us with ..it's like nothing else to experience growing these delights in the garden and being able to cook with them as well as make medicine and potpourri's and soaps and the list goes on ... 

More nurseries are stocking the young baby plants now so they don't have to be grown from seed, and herbs thrive naturally if they like the location ... also are easy to grow in containers on a patio or porch or deck if enough sun falls on them, as that brings their oils up into the leaves.

Yes, I'm in love...with herbs. 🌱

Claire, Polarberry, deetoo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@claire)
Eminent Member Registered
05/27/2020 3:53 pm  

Oh My, @polarberry, YES!  The hottest part of the day, Every Time.  It reminds me when my dad would come in from a stint outside with his mower, his fair Scottish skin red as a beet.  That, or he would be out in a thunderstorm sweeping rainwater off his porch, with lightning cracking all around.  “It Has to be Done!”  

@unk-p, I would have loved you for your hay-er, either way, AND your Texas meadow.  Last time I was in Texas, I brought home three small Mexican Honeysuckles.  They are finally big enough to bloom this year.  I got them to complement the Firebushes I overwinter every year for the hummers.  Those Firebushes are 20 years old now, and one of my favorites.

@deetoo, Do It!  Replace that weedy grass with something else. Native grasses anyone? Those fabulous seed heads are stunning, even in the winter months. You will love it, and the lack of maintenance will have you wondering what took so long. My Northern Sea Oats grows in shade or sun, between roots of a maple tree or clay soil.  What started as about 8 plants has turned into a 15’x40’ border next to the street.  It is glorious.  I have had people knock on my front door to ask about it.  The seed heads begin in summer and stay through to the middle of winter.  They rustle and blow in the wind.  I’m their biggest fan. 

I wanted to qualify I do have my share of weeds, which I cannot get hung about.  After all, a weed is only a misplaced flower.  I found a dried pod of elegant White Datura seeds one fall in a vacant gas station parking lot and scattered them on my street corner, which prompted some weed seed envy among my neighbors.  Now I save them in the fall for any one who wants some.  Some of my favorites are the wild ones because they are native.  Wild and Free!

Unk p, deetoo, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@claire)
05/27/2020 4:20 pm  

Yes, @polarberry, I am with you right there in the herb garden.  i always grow two Lemon Verbenas, and use them for making flavored water during the season, or a leaf in a cup of tea.  Dill, basil, tarragon, thyme, parsley and oregano.  No garden is complete without the herbs.  I keep trying to grow a Meyer Lemon tree, always getting one lemon every year.  I am doing something wrong...that lemon is always precious.

i used to plant snapdragons, larkspur and foxglove (with other things) in a cottage garden style near my front door.  I don’t have the right soil or climate for lavender, and replaced all the others with zinnias, firebushes and milkweed.  From Cottage to Prairie style, I guess, as I live where the wind blows.  Go native!

deetoo, BlueBelle, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
05/27/2020 4:25 pm  

Claire, I didn't post anything about herbs, but I was planning to later, as I am in the process of doing this year's plantings. Did you sense that I was thinking about herbs and posting about them? Weird.

I love zinnias; they're a favorite also. Dahlias, too, but they always freeze on me.

deetoo, Stargazer, Claire and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
05/27/2020 4:29 pm  

@claire that sounds amazing!  You should take some pics.

I found a very easy way to convert lawn (and weed) areas to planting beds:

You don't have to pull anything up- just cover over the lawn with about 4 sheets of newspaper (try to only use black and white pages, because of the dyes in the colors),  and then cover the newspaper with a couple of inches of compost.  Wait a few weeks, and then it is ready to plant.      With this method, the grasses and weeds die and get recycled back into the soil.  Also the soil structure won't be disturbed, and the newspaper will decompose.  Easy breezy

deetoo, Coyote and Claire liked
ReplyQuote
(@claire)
05/27/2020 4:46 pm  

@unk-p, we used to do that when we lived on a farm we rented, early in my newly married life.  There was a film going around the public library, called Ruth Stout’s garden.  Do you know it?  That was the year my husband was able to buy tomato plants at the nursery at the same price they were when the nursery first opened.  Decades Before.  He brought home 400 tiny little tomato plants which we planted in the old feedlot.  I was overwhelmed.  That was the year we bought a whole lot of hose, and a wheelbarrow.  Not the best foray into beginning gardening I would say!  

I will take pictures when the bloom happens.  Figuring out how to post them will be another matter.  Do you have tips?

@polarberry, I confused you with @stargazer who I now see was responding to you.  (I am seeing this happen to me a lot, and apologize for myself.). I find myself doing anything to keep the conversation going!

deetoo, BlueBelle, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@claire)
05/27/2020 4:59 pm  

@stargazer, i used to love to grow Lambs-ear, and had it as a border for my flowerbeds, one of which held Stargazer lilies. I liked it because it was silvery grey and showed up at night so I wouldn’t go tramping in the beds.  It seemed like I tried everything when we first moved here.  I found as I went along I needed to plan for less and less maintenance, so the scale for herbs and flowers grew smaller, while the trees and shrubs grew into that space instead.

ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
05/27/2020 5:25 pm  

@claire that's a lot of tomatoes!

As for pics, the only way i know how is to send them from the phone to the email, then save them to a file, and then i can post them.   But i am sure there must be an easier, more direct way.  Maybe someone else on here can tell us?

ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
05/27/2020 6:51 pm  

@claire

Yes, beautiful sagey silvery lambs ear, Claire... it's nice to touch isn't it, it has a sweet soothing quality too.

You know, I've had some success just throwing alot of herbs out there and they naturalize among rocks and with poor sandy soil (makes the oils push up into the leaves) in the full sunshine. No real maintenance required except for needing to be cut back about a third down when mature, and that's when we get the good stuff (like the edible flowers for salads)🌸

I love the Stargazer lilies... the scent is luscious too, and wish I could grow some! Too much shade where I am at present...drats.

Wildflowers are rewarding, if you plant for the local zone you are in, they take care of themselves and reseed too.... 💚

(I am loving this new thread (thank you unk!) and it's healing earth focus ... it's a kind way to detox from all the political and viral and emotional stresses isn't it ? We must focus on the sweetness of life at times to stay sane.... )))

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Noble Member Registered Registered
05/27/2020 8:00 pm  

@laynara

Gorgeous!  My favorite color of petunias! Cheerful and full of the heart energy of love and loving life.

Perfect for you as you are now filled with those wonderful energies instead of the old ones of fear and worry.  Now you are all lit up with the best of loving, giving, and sharing goodness!

Love this part of you and all the amazing and transforming energies that you are now so filled up with. Awesome for you and for your precious son and family 💜

ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Estimable Member Registered
05/27/2020 8:14 pm  

@michele-b thank you Sweet Michele I am doing wonderful and I got herbs and flowers today . I talked to them and told them I would take care of them as I do my son. I could feel there welcoming energy! I am grateful for all of y'all 💜

Claire, Michele, Coyote and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
05/27/2020 9:10 pm  

@polarberry

Cause the grass has to be dry... and.. it makes the lawnmower beers taste better 😉

ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
05/27/2020 9:11 pm  

@michele-b Michele, the description you gave of your garden is making me so hungry!    But i have never heard of Logan berries or Marionberries. What do they taste like?

p.s.- glad you liked the song 🌼 

ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
05/27/2020 10:04 pm  

@claire

Well, I am still going on (do I need an ' off ' button? 😶)... just wanted to tell you how much I like all those lemony things too. The lemon verbena is so awesome and makes a nice refreshing skin splash when it's hot.... lemon balm is another one that is dear to my heart. I once got about five flats of it and planted it all over the place... lemon Divine!

And yes, the celebrated little Meyer lemons ... the same thing happened to me Claire. I always wanted to grow one, and tried planting a two year old tree in with about seven kinds oregano... it grew one little lemon... and died. They are sensitive, lols. 😪

Maybe one day it would be worth another attempt?

And then there is lemon thyme, lemon basil, lemon-scented geraniums, lilies, mint..............it's heaven💚

BlueBelle, Claire, Polarberry and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
05/28/2020 12:50 am  

All garden herbs can keep a secret except thyme. Only thyme will tell.

BlueBelle, Claire, deetoo and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
05/28/2020 5:49 am  

@polarberry

🌸🤗🌸 

(Here's a little secret ... thyme waits for no one, but you can eat the little flowers. Good on sweet baby cucumbers 💚)

Claire, Polarberry, Laynara and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
05/28/2020 7:16 am  

@jeanne-mayell

Jeanne, I see your energy resonating alot with Barbara Kingsolver's... she has a distinct Pisces/Aries/Sagittarius aura, as maybe you do as well?

I can see why you love her writings so .... 💛

(I will for certain look up 'Animal Vegetable Mineral')

Claire, Unk p, deetoo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
05/28/2020 2:04 pm  

Claire and Journey,

LOL! So true! My dad didn't drink, ever, but it was the perfect excuse to come inside, make himself a giant glass of Country Time powdered lemonade with enough ice to supply a polar bear for a year, and spent the next five hours "recuperating", as my mother would say, in front of the TV, until dinnertime. A few times he got so hot and red she was worried he was going to have a stroke.

Stargazer, I love snapdragons, and I know the exact color you are talking about. It is mesmerizing. I haven't been able to find it this year-I wanted to plant a couple more-I can't find the salmon color either. The yellow is gorgeous. I hate it when snaps are listed as annuals. If you just leave them alone, even if you don't bother to trim them, they come back beautifully the next year. Hearty little devils, too. They sprout in rock crevices and among the weeds even without water.

BlueBelle, Claire, Laynara and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
05/28/2020 2:52 pm  

I wish one or all of you lived close by so you could see my lawn and advise me.  As I mentioned, I'd like to get rid of a big portion of it.  Having said that, my husband and I don't enjoy the upkeep of gardening -- we're getting old, cranky, both have bad allergies and I get overheated very easily.  (@polarberry, after working outside I kind of look like you father when he was “recuperating.”)  Plus there are only so many weeds I can pull without cursing, and my husband's approach to weeds is cutting them down with a weed wacker.  So I'd be looking for something very low-maintenance.    

@claire, I know nothing about native grasses here in Virginia, but if they require minimal upkeep, that's an attractive idea.  

@unk-p, I love your suggestion of how to easily convert lawn/weeds into planting beds!  Last week I temporarily lost my mind and consulted with a neighbor's landscaper about getting rid of our weedy lawn and having it resodded.  He said "to ensure that these weeds won't come back, I first apply two separate treatments of Roundup over the entire lawn, then dig it all up and resod."  Did he really say two treatments of Roundup over the ENTIRE lawn?  First of all, I didn't think they still use that crap.  Second, at that moment I understood that the coronavirus wasn't going to kill me; the Roundup would.  Not to mention all the dogs, cats, and other critters we have around here.

@unk-p, I’ve been thinking about the significance of your presence in this world.  I believe part of your life’s purpose is to shake things up -- with a touch of humor, of course.  😜 

BlueBelle, Claire, Unk p and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
05/28/2020 2:57 pm  

I wish they would stop selling Roundup. I am always amazed at the number of people I see buying it.

Claire, Unk p and deetoo liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
05/28/2020 3:00 pm  

@polarberry, the town arborist I spoke about in an earlier post told me that our town landscapers stopped using Roundup a long time ago.  They now use 30% vinegar, which he said works extremely well.  I'd read that 30% is quite potent, and there are warning labels you should follow on how to apply it.  Anything with a warning label ... I'll take a pass on that!  Bring on the weeds!!

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
05/28/2020 3:39 pm  

Vinegar works well. Years ago I bought this organic product, and I can't remember the name of it, but it was made with a mixture of vinegar, cloves, and a couple other ingredients. It stank to high heaven, you could smell it on Mars, but it burned those weeds like fire lol. You could see them start to shrivel up as soon as you sprayed it. These days I just pull them, because even if you spray them with something, you still have to pull them out unless you want to leave them dead in the ground to crispify.

I hate weeds, but I do admire them for their tenacious ability to survive anywhere, under any conditions.

BlueBelle, TriciaCT, Claire and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Noble Member Registered
05/28/2020 3:48 pm  

@polarberry, thanks for the info.  I'll do a search and see what I come up with.

Maybe all of us in this community should consider ourselves weeds -- ability to survive anywhere, under any conditions.  But purdy' weeds, of course!

BlueBelle, Coyote, Claire and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
05/28/2020 3:49 pm  

@deetoo Wow! Deetoo, that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.    thank you. 🌺

Michele, BlueBelle, TriciaCT and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)
05/28/2020 4:04 pm  

deetoo,

I don't think they make it anymore, but I could be wrong. I'm sure there are similar products, or you can make your own, if so inclined. I think I got it at a local organic nursery.

ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
05/28/2020 4:40 pm  

@deetoo yeah, i would stay away from any chemicals. Especially Ruin-up, and those products that claim to kill weeds and fertilize at the same time- like that stuff that rhymes with Snott's Greed and Need, which is absolutely toxic to trees and earthworms.

I hate pulling "weeds", too.  Not so much because of the chore of it, but because i always feel guilty about it.  Even more so, ever since i had that visit from the Dandelion deva.  Most weeds need sunlight, and they seem to like poor, compacted soil- so my strategy is to shade them out with plants i do want, and improve the soil w lots of organic matter.

If you do hire a professional, consider looking for a Permaculture practitioner.

hope that helps!

Michele, BlueBelle, Laynara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
05/29/2020 1:21 pm  

Here is what I call the spring garden, Broccolini, Cabage, Collards, Spinach, Walking Onions and some Thyme:

1590772870-Spring.jpg

BlueBelle, CDeanne, Share and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
05/29/2020 1:27 pm  

This is the fruit/herb garden, Mint, Lavender, Saffron, Garlic Chives, Onions, Thyme, Oregano, Table Grapes, Blackberries and Mini Fruit Trees: Cherries, Figs, Plums and Peaches:

1590773231-Herb-and-Fruit.jpg

Jeans3head, CDeanne, Share and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
05/29/2020 1:29 pm  

This is the recently planted summer garden, Zucchini, Butternut Squash, New Mexico Green Chile, Basil, Leeks, Tomatoes and Beets:

1590773393-Tub-Beds.jpg

Jeans3head, BlueBelle, CDeanne and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
05/29/2020 1:31 pm  

And finally the "Perennials" LOL

1590773462-Vineyard.jpg

Jeans3head, BlueBelle, CDeanne and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: