(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Very nice. 

Michele and Michele reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

My son was protesting in LA last night outside the ICE detention center. I was concerned that there could be arrests, as they were arresting priests and rabbis who had shown up to protest in LA outside the venue where Jeff Sessions was appearing. I asked him to text me regardless of the time (he's west coast, I'm east) when he was leaving to let me know he was safe and didn't need anything. He didn't wait until he left. He was nearly in tears as the detainees inside were letting the protesters know they were there and needed help. He sent me video he took of the detainees flashing lights in sort of Morse code fashion, which to some came across as an SOS. My son was just looking for moral support as he texted me because he was heartbroken, claiming he was witnessing what to his mind was tantamount to a war crime. He also let me know when he was on his way home, tired, angry, upset, but safe and sound. 

Then in my dreams last night I witnessed an unusual sight. It was one of those messages I was supposed to listen to and take note of. I've heard the song "The Prayer" by Celine Dion and Andre Bocelli before. However last night, as I was meandering as we do in dreams, I came upon a British actor (Dan Stevens) and a blonde male Italian singer practicing a version of the song. The musical director had Stevens singing the Italian portion of the song, and the Italian singing the English portion of the song. It was magnificent. It wasn't really Stevens singing in my dream, I've heard his singing voice in Beauty and the Beast. I've never heard two males perform the song together before, and as angelic as it sounded, the beautiful voices, which were heavenly to hear, made me know that spirit wanted me to hear the message of the song. They were presenting it in their voices so I'd be sure to take note that it wasn't just some soundtrack. I heard echoes of the song through the rest of my dreaming, and during my waking period this morning. I've never read the lyrics before, can't say that I've really even paid attention to them while listening to the versions I've heard before. However, given our circumstances and atmosphere in this country today, I find after translating them, they're a very appropriate prayer for the times:

I pray you'll be our eyes

And watch us where we go

And help us to be wise

In times when we do not know

Let this be our prayer

As we go our way

Lead us to a place

Guide us with your Grace

To a place where we'll be safe

The light that you give

I pray we'll find your light

In the heart they remain

And hold it in our hearts

To remind you that

When stars go out each night

You are the eternal star

In my prayer

Let this be our prayer

How much faith see'e

When shadows fill our day

Lead us to a place

Guide us with your grace

Give us faith so we'll be safe.

We dream of a world without violence

A world of justice and hope

Everyone gives his hand to his neighbor

Symbol of peace and fraternity

The strength you give us

We ask that life be kind

It is the desire that

And watch ...

I just wish that I could also share the incredible rendering that I was given last night. I guess for some, You Tube will have to suffice.

vida, Grace, RunestoneOne and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@quiet)
Reputable Member Registered

This thread is so very helpful. Thank you all!

I have struggled with anger in recent months. I'm angry that we are in this dark place and so many are suffering. I'm angry that some of my friends don't seem to see, or care to see, the suffering of others. I made the choice to disconnect from a few people, and I might need to do more. I'm seeing sides of people that I never thought I would see and it makes me furious! These messages of hope and light really help. 

Thanks to all who take the time to post!

vida, RunestoneOne, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zoron)
Illustrious Member Registered

Happened on this quote from Alex Steffen's The Bright Green City this morning and love it:  "Optimism is a political act. Those who benefit from the status quo are perfectly happy for us to think nothing is going to get any better. In fact, these days, cynicism is obedience."  https://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/412/the-bright-green-city

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kerry)
Estimable Member Registered

I like this interchange, but the phrase about facing darkness without becoming dark makes me so uncomfortable, equating darkness with such negativity. Aren't we beyond that?

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Karidad, I agree and thank you.  I have changed this thread's title to "How to Fight Darkness with Eyes of Light."

Grace and Grace reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kerry)
Estimable Member Registered

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@maria-d-white)
Noble Member Registered

I really like the new title for this thread! You're a star!

Lola, Grace, Lola and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks, Maria.  You are also a star and have my gratitude for your involvement. 

RosieHeart, Lola, RosieHeart and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zoron)

I agree. Zoron

ReplyQuote
 vida
(@vida)
Reputable Member Registered

Fmr. President Obama spoke today at the 16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture, and his speech was a balm for the soul. There are sober warnings throughout, but all within a framework of hope. It is all about creating a better vision for the future and overcoming the grip of fear. I was so inspired by it, I figured you would all like to see it as well. 

Watch it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_l4u-1vRQ&feature=youtu.be

carrola, RosieHeart, Michele and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Vida, thank you. I look forward to hearing what he had to say.

vida and vida reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

Thank you for sharing this link. He made me laugh. It was good to remember how he meanders around random thoughts and folksy,  good natured asides while still reminding us all that democracy is never easy and often quite messy.

Nice to hear him and share him with his culture of birthright even if he reminded us twice that he was born in Hawaii and needed to send an aide to the mall for long johns. 

He teaches without preaching. I miss that so it was nice to listen, learn, remember, and appreciate this very good man.

carrola, Jeanne Mayell, vida and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered

There was a wonderful story in the Washington Post today about a fisherman in Tunisia who for the last 12 years has taken it upon himself to give a proper burial to the hundreds of dead immigrants who have washed up on the shore of his town.   A wonderful example of someone who is "fighting darkness with eyes of light."  Very inspiring.  Read the article if you can.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/a-tunisian-gravedigger-gives-migrants-what-they-were-deprived-of-in-life-dignity/2018/09/10/8b77e72a-a6f5-11e8-ad6f-080770dcddc2_story.html?utm_term=.a07ad6992e58

BlueBelle, Shawn, LalaBella and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

RosieHeart, thank you for this beautiful story.  Even though the situation is tragic, this man’s selfless devotion to the most oppressed people on earth—deceased migrants washed ashore with no one to honor them in death—strengthens my heart.  

BlueBelle, Shawn, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered

With the confirmation hearing tomorrow, may we revive this thread?   

I feel very overwhelmed by the darkness right now,  and would love to be reminded about how people are still bringing "eyes of light" to the world.

One thing that I am going to try to do in the weeks ahead is commit to spending more time really being present in nature.  I planted a small butterfly garden this summer.  All summer, I've been a bit disappointed as the garden didn't seem to be attracting many butterflies.  Yesterday, as I was hurrying out the door to run errands, I glanced over and noticed that the garden was full of monarch butterflies.   I counted at least 20!  Instead of doing my errands, I decided to plunk myself down in the garden and just watch the butterflies for a while.  They live such short lives, but are so beautiful and full of energy in the time they have.  I was so grateful for the gift of spending time with these beautiful creatures yesterday.    I felt much less anxious afterwards, and it reminded me that I need to slow down and allow myself to do more than just worry about things I can't control or change.

I would love to hear how others are finding ways to keep anchored in the light during these troubled times.   Or, more stories about people who are finding ways to stay centered on the good.

TaG22, Marley, Lovendures and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yay for reviving this thread.  You just reminded me that I have to get across town to pick up a bunch of milkweed I bought from a local environmental group so I can get the butterflies back in the spring.  When I put my hands in the soil or watch my plants grow, I get my faith back where it belongs -- in the power of life.  It is all going to be okay.  I know it is.  We may not win every battle and I still haven't seen the big blue turnaround in 2020 that so many are seeing, but I see we win the WAR against darkness.

The heart warriors are already at work.  Regardless of what the GOP does with Kavanaugh, light warriors everywhere are shining the light of truth and no one can take that away.

I have more to add, but I have to get that milkweed.

TaG22, Marley, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

I am a chicken whisperer to 8 chickens that rush to greet me every time they see me, one who loves being picked up and held,  A 16 year old cat that should have died 10 years ago from kidney disease,  but still grooms herself and purrs in spite of being blind and deaf, 20' tall volunteer sunflowers that come up summer after summer on their own, and 3 tiny grandchildren that even at 68, I can still sing, dance, crawl on the floor and into blanket and couch cushion forts with who light up with joy and expand my heart to eternity with hope and joy for each precious moment we have in the here and now. Add in a great husband of 46 years, 3 wonderful kids with great partners I love. Well, let's just say gratitude is a powerful spirit lifter and love and hope in spite of some pretty amazing challenges in all of our lives keeps me going ?

TaG22, Marley, Lovendures and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered

Thank you Jeanne and Michelle.  You both have made a difference in my life that is very real, even if we haven't met in person.

This morning, the Nobel Prize Committee awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to two very deserving people, who have put their lives on the line to make a difference.   They both truly see with "eyes of light" so I thought I'd add a link to an article about them here.  In the darkness, it is easy to forget that people like these exist.   I'll excerpt a brief part of the article as well.  

The 2018 Nobel Peace Prize has gone to campaigners against rape in warfare, Nadia Murad and Denis Mukwege.

Ms Murad is an Iraqi Yazidi who was tortured and raped by Islamic State militants and later became the face of a campaign to free the Yazidi people.

Dr Mukwege is a Congolese gynaecologist who, along with his colleagues, has treated tens of thousands of victims.

The winners announced in the Norwegian capital Oslo on Friday won the award for their "efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war", Berit Reiss-Andersen, the Nobel committee chair, said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45759221

TaG22, villager, Jeanne Mayell and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

Oh, Rosieheart, we love you too!

I hadn't heard this news yet and my heart is singing at this wonderful selection!

As horrific as rape is and unimaginable that it used as a weapon of war to control and damage the mind, bodies, spirits of entire nations across the world, it is still fills my heart up to know how the courage or others to fight it and help it's victims at such great risk to themselves can be recognized and awarded this wonderful acknowledgement instead of lesser choices who have done great harm and then seek to do good right for their own good not others. And of course I am thinking of a president and two dictators who might have been picked.

Thank you for sharing❣

Jeanne Mayell, RosieHeart, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: