Notifications
Clear all

Healthy Recipes to Share

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@polarberry We love that cremesicle flavor in our family. When my kids were growing up, I used to blend them a healthy version of a cremesicle shake with orange juice, half and half (or milk, yogurt, or creme), a dash of vanilla, ice, and a sweetener (honey, maple syrup, organic cane sugar, or agave, although cane sugar gives the biggest sweetness punch). Their friends would ask for it too when they came over.

Later I noticed this is the pretty much the recipe for Orange Julius - milk, sugar, orange juice, vanilla, ice in a blender.

You can omit the sugar, and then it is really healthy.

TriciaCT, Lovendures, polarberry and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

Right now watermelons are coming in to the Farmers Markets and are priced well and deliciously sweet...just as summertime heat comes in to typical HOT July. If you enjoy watermelon and are looking for a cool summertime treat try this:

Watermelon Slushies

2 cups of watermelon cubed and frozen

1/2 cup of lime juice

3 Tbsp honey

Fresh mint

Blend all together, starting with watermelon and honey adding lime juice until desired consistency is reached,garnish with fresh mint and enjoy!

Recipe works well to double as needed for more servings.

For those that want to.. add a shot of your favorite alcohol. @Laura-F ? Vodka works nicely in this so I am told. :-) I actually preferred it as is.

TriciaCT, LalaBella, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Laura, LOL, I don't drink, at all, but for those who do I'm sure a splash of cold vodka would make it pretty tasty.

Jeanne, I dug through my recipe box and found the recipe for Orange Julius at home. It's been so many years I don't remember where I got it, and I haven't made it forever, but if memory serves it's pretty close to the actual product.

2 cups orange juice

1/2 cup Coffee Mate

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 tablespoons sugar

5 large ice cubes.

Blend and enjoy. Makes one large or two medium drinks.

Journey, that sounds amazing. I've been waiting for watermelon to actually taste like watermelon. We get watermelons from the eastern part of our state late summer.

There is a brand of frozen fruit bar called Outshine that is really good quality. Real fruit chunks and not too much sugar. You can match each bar with the corresponding flavor of sparkling water and it is the best drink in the world. Great in summer. Or mix the bar flavors with different sparkling water flavors. Coconut pineapple is the bomb. I call them fizzies. ? 

TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

I found this really cool mail-order spice company called Penzey's- maybe you already knew about them?  With so many companies acting like vampires and worse (no Goya for this boya!), it's nice to find one that is trying to do some good in the world.

Here is an excerpt from an email they sent me today:

Tuesday 8.18 marks the 100th anniversary of Tennessee becoming the 36th state to ratify the 19th amendment leading to its 8.26 official certification making women's right to vote the law of the land. This past Wednesday evening customer Tracey V. wrote: “https://send.penzeys.com/Q0GJ02H0Q13kP0hvh00hjK0&source=gmail&ust=1597602283808000&usg=AFQjCNEgjT7ASeWtCjGriS0QZv268PIyX w">Read this article on The Toledo Blade website tonight and immediately thought of you. Women suffragists recipes and cookbooks.”

Thanks Tracey and to the article’s author Mary Bilyeu. It’s well worth a read. I get accusatory emails as if I’m the one who made cooking political. I’m just carrying on the tradition. These women from a hundred plus years ago did it far better. So much so good was lost in the 1980s and '90s when the marketing/financial services industry spent hundreds of millions of dollars to rebrand cooking away from the intelligence and compassion of female cooks with five-six decades of cooking experience and rebuilding it around young male chefs.

The move to strip cooking of its wisdom and of its kindness might have paid big returns for their advertisers or for the merchants accepting their bank cards, but looking around the country today it’s clear we lost far too much in this process. In our efforts to bring kindness and compassion back to the forefront of the Voice of Cooking the one hundredth anniversary of Women’s Suffrage is a great reminder of what truly has value. We look forward to sharing recipes.

And August 27-28 the 57th anniversary of the The March on Washington will be celebrated with a new March on Washington. The NAACP has the virtual/Covid-safe details https://send.penzeys.com/lGHPi000kv2K0J3hj0h020Q&source=gmail&ust=1597602283808000&usg=AFQjCNFfQBcfvtn3mv3dto6eGJuGjYj8q Q">on its site here. If you are actually going to make the trip and would be willing to hand out some of our https://send.penzeys.com/E0h0Q0KLHu20h0PJ3H0jk0v&source=gmail&ust=1597602283808000&usg=AFQjCNF8ZaZLusGouawV12ctgyuLJaSZ1 w">V for Victory pins while wearing a mask, we would be happy to send you a small bag along with some I Will Vote 11.3.20 Stickers.

Never before in our history has the path to justice been more dependent on the outcome of an election. If you are heading to the March and are willing to help, please get in touch with us at editor@penzeys.com.

They also sent me a dozen pictures of cats in boxes, lol.  And yes, they have Adobo seasoning, so the fascist suck-ups at "Goya" can goya straight to hell!

https://www.penzeys.com

TriciaCT, Stargazer, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@unk-p  I LOVE Penzeys....had been buying from them for YEARS.  "Heal the World - Cook dinner tonight"  "Love people cook them tasty food" bumperstickers on my car LOL  I have pins and stickers I have shared for all of that time. Sandwich Sprinkle, Justice, Pie Spice and Ruth Anne's Muskego Avenue Chicken and Fish and the Tuscan seasoning are my faves :-)  They have wonderful Latin blends as well.  So glad you found and enjoy them!RUth

lowtide, TriciaCT, Stargazer and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@unk-p!!

I discovered Penzey's about 8 years ago when I found one of their great catalogues at a small library ... they have wonderful recipes inside too, very ' old world ' and down home, though modern at the same time.

Their phenomenal spices are the best! Love the exotic pure cinnamons and true vanillas that have the sourcing descriptions ... thanks for your reminder and sharing this! Gotta get their newest catalogue now... ?

JourneyWithMe2, Unk p, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: