Notifications
Clear all

Healthy Recipes to Share

(@polarberry)
Illustrious Member Registered

@unk-p

? ? "noodle wad" ? 

Unk, yesterday-my kid asks me if we have any ramen. I said no because I hate the stuff and never buy it.  Apparently, he *discovered*, probably at school, that if you snap the dry noodles up and add the seasoning packet, it makes a great snack.

I told him it's not happening on my dime, lol.

Unk p, Coyote, ElaineG and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

WARNING: Not So Healthy Recipes to follow!
To those who struggle with addiction, leave now, you have my admiration.

For those who don't, I think it's a good time to post a few home cocktail recipes. Some of them maybe actually be somewhat beneficial (in moderation, of course). And since we won't be driving around much, what the hell.

1. Moscow Mule - 1 shot* (or 2) of vodka (I do like Tito's for these btw) + dash bitters (optional) + fill glass (or copper cup if you have) with Reed's or other ginger beer + squeeze lime wedge.

2. Blackberry Mojito - In glass, muddle (smash with a wooden spoon) 5-6 blackberries, mint leaves, 2 lime wedges. Add 1 shot (or 2) Rum and a squirt of agave syrup or teaspoon of sugar, muddle a bit more. Add ice cubes and seltzer and/or 7up. Garnish with a whole blackberry.

3. Skinny-ish Margarita - You can salt the glass rim, and/or put Tajin seasoning on it. 1 shot (or 2) of tequila (I like reposado) + Splash limeade (I like the Ginger Limeade from Evolution for this) + any citrus flavored seltzer.Garnish with squeezed lime wedge.

4. Bloody Mary - what I do is take a quart of Knudsen's Organic tomato juice, pour out about 2-3 ounces (into a glass, you can either drink it or add it back in later). I add to the bottle: 10 dashes worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, 4 dashes tabasco hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Shake well. You can adjust any of these to your personal taste. Simply pour 1 shot (or 2) of vodka over ice in a tall glass, pour in some of this mixer, garnish with lemon wedge squeeze and a cut stick of celery. I don't like meat products in my cocktails, but if that's your jam, go for it.

*1 shot of alcohol = 1 ounce (or 30mL) - If you don't have a way to measure it, well, there is a way to count-pour it, but you need the bottle pour cap like they have in bars. Or not. ? 

Bottoms up, y'all.

Cin-Cin

Slainte

Salud

Skol

@jeanne-mayell   @bluebelle   @deetoo  @michele-b @journeywithme2

Unk p, Lovendures, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

Bumping this thread!!!

Now that we're all cooking at home, THIS is the place to be, my friends.

I will start with a new recipe:

RAW TOMATO SAUCE

I'm not finding jars of sauce in the store, but fresh produce is always in stock. I recommend washing all unwrapped fresh produce in warm water with non-toxic soap or vinegar. I learned how to make this when I lived in Rome, it's especially good for warm days. Works with any pasta, you can also make a smaller amount for homemade pizza sauce.

Ingredients:
8 organic plum tomatoes
6-8 basil leaves
3-4 tbsp. EVOO
1-2 cloves garlic
Pecorino cheese, grated, to taste
salt and black pepper, to taste

Put up your salted water for your pasta, bring to boil.As soon as it boils, toss in the tomatoes for ONE minute. Scoop them into a colander one at a time, run cold water over them. Peel the tomatoes and cut up.

Put all ingredients in blender or bullet or food processor, blend on high til well blended. Cook your pasta. After draining pasta, pour a little olive oil on it and mix it in. Pour blended sauce onto hot pasta, garnish with extra grated pecorino and fresh basil leaves.
MANGIA! ? ? ? 

polarberry, Parizienne, TriciaCT and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@laura-f omg I can taste it. 

polarberry, LalaBella, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@elaineg @grace

I was vegetarian (ovo lacto) for a long time, but my autoimmune diseases limited so much of what I need to eat to be well due to severe allergies, that on doctor recommendations I had to go back to meat. I eat fish maybe once or twice a month - too much mercury and other heavy metals, more allergies and also why deplete the oceans more? So since 2007 I have only ever gotten locally sourced, organic, humane meats. Around here in restaurants most chicken is organic, so that's typically what I order, unless they have yummy veg options that I can indulge in without triggering an adverse reaction (truffle risotto? don't mind if I do!).

@jeanne-mayell

I avoid coconut products for 2 reasons: 1) mild allergy and 2) no guarantee of sustainability/proof of source/fair trade. This applies to both topical and ingested. For palm oil no. 2 applies. It's very hard to find products that are cruelty free and have neither.

For recipes that use coconut milk, I sub hemp milk, almond milk or rice milk depending. For curries, rice milk works amazingly well.

If you have no allergy, tofu is good (it's one of my worst allergies, I get violently ill), although if you are sensitive to beans, soy beans might not be a great idea.

There are a lot of seitan products you can find in farmers markets and health food stores (again, if you're not allergic - most of them are based on wheat gluten, so I can't eat that either).  A farmer here had started making sunflower seed based seitan right before the pandemic, it was yummy... who knows if their business will survive.

My favorite protein is eggs and cheese, so if you can tolerate those I have lots of recipes. Here in CA egg producing chickens have to be cage free by law, and again, I'm only getting my eggs from local farmers and sometimes from friends who have backyard chickens. (Yes, in the city of San Diego you can have hens, but you can't have roosters.) I can see why many would avoid cheese, humane issues do persist in that arena, but eggs that are truly local and organic are not cruel. The hens lay them and walk away, and as long as the hens are well cared for it's not really an issue for them. And people around here who have hens tell me the hens keep the mouse population at bay - apparently they gobble them live/whole.

And that's it for the Circle of Life for now. I'll check in tomorrow - post here if you want recipes.

Jeanne Mayell, Laynara, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Everyone! I'd like to share a few simple and tasty plant-based recipes with you ? 

My hope is that these will give you an idea of what's possible and help you get started with planning and preparing plant-based meals.

Brown Rice Stir-Fry With Vegetables, https://simpleveganblog.com/brown-rice-stir-fry-with-vegetables/

Easy Vegan Pasta, https://detoxinista.com/vegan-pasta/

Vegan Potato Soup, https://easyhealthyrecipes.com/vegan-potato-soup/

You can also take your favorite recipes and modify them to make them plant-based. Instead of dairy milk, use oat, rice, soy, almond, or cashew milk. Instead of chicken or beef soup base, use vegetable broth or bouillon (an especially delicious one is Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base).

My husband has taken a fish taco recipe and removed the fish and added fried zucchini instead. You can keep the vast majority of your recipes and just do some simple swaps.

If it's okay with everyone, I'll post more from time to time. Blessings to all!

deetoo, ElaineG, Lilinoe and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Response to @triciact, from the “If you see a hit prediction…” thread:

triciact, the Lydia Bastianich meatless pasta recipe you posted sounds great:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjPZR5nUQQ

I would assume that the super greens spaghetti you use is still high in carbs?  I'd love to find a nutritious, low carb "pasta".  Right now I use spiralized zucchini, but that's getting old.

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@deetoo

Funny I have tried every kind of pasta known to mankind lol. Tried the zucchini too. My husband is a die hard Italian and likes what he calls "real pasta" so yes it's regular semolina based pasta but it's mixed with spinach, broccoli and kale powders.  It's also my way of making sure he eats more veggies since he's also a "Meat and potatoes" kind of guy. I have used spaghetti squash to make faux pasta type dishes, but with this particular recipe of Lydia's I like the supergreens pasta or a regular spaghetti.

Also, Everytime I make something lately that has a sauce I throw in baby spinach in it and he grumbles...LOL

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@triciact, I miss real pasta, but I can't risk the big blood sugar spike.  My husband is also a meat and potatoes guy and he likes real pasta, but surprisingly likes the spiralized zucchini squash.  Hubby isn't keen for vegetables, unless they're roasted or stir-fried w/tons of sauce.  He does like salads, thank God.  I, on the other hand, could eat a plate of steamed asparagus or broccoli with a little butter and parmesan for dinner, and be totally satisfied.  

Jeanne Mayell, Laynara, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@deetoo    konjac noodles, also called shirataki noodle, have zero carbs.  Just got some the other day, but i haven't tried them yet.  Will let you know, when i do

Jeanne Mayell, Grace, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@unk-p

Are those the ones made from seaweed? If so, be warned. I tried them. The worst. Ever. My husband couldn't even gag them down.

@deetoo

There are some slightly lower carb pastas made with chickpea flour - the brand is Banza. Not bad. I also find spaghetti squash to be better than zoodles.

Jeanne Mayell, Grace, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@unk-p, I've seen those konjac noodles  -- been tempted to try them.  The consistency reminds me of jellyfish, which I once tried; no flavor, and once was enough.  Yes, let me know what you think.

Unk p, TriciaCT, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@laura-f, thanks.  I've seen the Banza pasta but haven't tried it.  I once tried spaghetti squash but felt lukewarm about it.  That was years ago, and I can always try it again.

I once mixed regular pasta with zoodles, which tasted great, but it still elevated my blood sugar too much.  Funny, but my blood sugar is more reactive with grains than with white potatoes.  

ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@laura-f @deetoo  konjac noodles are made from white yams. The wet ones do seem kinda jellyfishish.  They say to rinse off the water, and there will be no flavor. (But also no carbs and no calories)

Chinese cabbage is also a good sub for noodles, if you don't cook it too long. I like to cook it in apple juice w Jamaican Jerk seasoning.

TriciaCT, Grace, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

unk-p, I love all types of cabbage -- thanks for the suggestion.

Jeanne Mayell, Grace, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

For a quick & easy dessert, chocolate cake that originated in the Depression era ... Crazy Cake :)

https://sweetlittlebluebird.com/tried-true-tuesday-crazy-cake-no-eggs/

TriciaCT, FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@unk-p

Ah! I confused my noodles. I use yam noodles and also mung bean noodles @deetoo - look into mung bean noodles, very tasty and lower carb.

What I referred to were noodles I found in the refrigerated section of the health food store, made from kelp. YUCK. Never again. Too much like jellyfish. I'd rather eat a bowl of pencil erasers.

TriciaCT, Unk p, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

Many of you are going to be having unseasonably cold weather this weekend. Here is my recipe for a vegan soup I love: 

MAJORCAN STYLE CABBAGE SOUP

In a soup pot:

1 head of cabbage (white or savoy), shredded

1 large onion, chopped

4-6 c. vegetable stock

Add enough water to barely cover cabbage if necessary

Bring to boil, cover, simmer on low for 45 minutes.

In a blender, puree:

1 ripe tomato

1 red bell pepper

2-4 cloves of garlic

2 tbsp olive oil

1 bay leaf

salt & pepper to taste

Add puree mixture to soup pot and cook 5  more minutes.

Garnish each serving of soup with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 squirt fresh lemon juice (optional)

Or, if you are able, a little grated pecorino or parmesan cheese. Crusty bread on the side. YUM.

Coyote, TriciaCT, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

Posted by @laura-f:

Ah! I confused my noodles.

I don't know why, but I laughed like hell when I read that.

Probably because I have a perpetually confused noodle.

Thanks for the mung bean suggestion!

TriciaCT, Unk p, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sidwich)
Honorable Member Registered

I like a lot of Smitten Kitchen's recipes.  Here are three that I've been making a lot lately since we've been on #SaferAtHome:

Shakshuka (I've been adding kale or chard and chickpeas)

Miso Sweet Potato and Vegetable Bowl (I often add chickpeas and/or serve over quinoa)

Pasta e Ceci (Hmmm... didn't realize I had quite the chickpea theme going until I started writing this post...)

Also, yes, it can be a splurge for the burrata, but so lovely as a once in a while treat: Lentils with Burrata

TriciaCT, Coyote, Grace and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: