Topic starter  

@deetoo

Green beans could work, so could broccolini,or even frozen artichoke hearts

deetoo and deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@laura-f,

Hmm ... I love broccolini -- also artichokes.  Thanks!

BTW, are you feeling better?  (I know this should come under another topic thread, but just thought I'd ask anyway!)

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

@deetoo

I would use the regular green beans for sure! I would even cut them in half so they are not so long (or thirds).

ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@polarberry

I loved your recipe! I also added ground flax seed with chia seeds in it (I detest wheat germ lol). I used frozen fruit too instead of freezing the yogurt. Yum!

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

@deetoo

YES! Finally! I'll post on the other thread.

TriciaCT, deetoo, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@triciact

LOL!  I think that's why it's still sitting unopened. I grew up having that stuff sprinkled on everything because I was a picky eater and my mom thought it would add nutrients to my diet.  Nothing says appetizing like half a cup of unidentifiable flakes that look like fish food sprinkled on cold oatmeal.  It's one of those obligatory items that dies a slow death in the back of the pantry.

I forgot to mention that you can also use kefir as a base.  i use plain because I like the tartness and also you can add almost anything to it to jazz it up.

ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@polarberry

LOL my mother was ALWAYS sprinkling wheat germ on my oatmeal too! anything and everything she could whether I liked it or not (NOT). To this day if I even smell the stuff I can't take it!

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Well, hey sis!  lol  Were you subjected to protein powder as well?

ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@polarberry

No, but she made me eat Grapenuts cereal too when I was a kid (stuff tastes like wood chips to a child)-- everyone else was eating captain crunch or fruit loops (hey I was a kid we are talking about 40+ yrs ago). Plus no white sugar was allowed in the house. And sugar free candy only! Not sure if we had good protein powders back then. LOL

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Oh god. ? ? 

I was always being told to eat Grape-Nuts!  I hate them to this day!  They taste awful.

My mind keeps going to that scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie finally gets his secret decoder ring in the mail, and when he decodes the message, it says "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

Remember Postum? ☕   That's what we lucky kids got because we were too young for coffee. Roasted wheat germ!  Yum!!  ? 

ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@triciact and @polarberry,

I've always loved grapenuts! (Maybe I have some squirrel or something in my DNA.) Actually, it could be because we were never served sweetened cereals, so I never developed a taste for them. But then, we were allowed to eat candy, chips and such, so go figure! I was a little kid in the 50's, so it was a combination of homemade, healthy food, convenience food, and a lot of sugary/starchy crap.

polarberry, fish food is the perfect description for wheat germ.

polarberry, TriciaCT, polarberry and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@deetoo

My brother loved them, and so did my mom. My shameful secret is that I love Lucky Charms, the oh-so-healthful cereal with the toxic little marshmallows.

ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@deetoo

I think that is why I craved it so much. My mom was so restrictive. But I think I would like grapenuts now, just not at 7 yrs old lol.  Squirrel...funny! OH and my mother was HIGHLY psychic. I bought penny candy once at the store and hid it under my mattress. She walked into the house and exclaimed "I sense you are hiding something from me" then went right to the candy and pulled it out. I was in big trouble! LOL

and @polarberry

OVALTINE - We couldn't have bosco or hershey's or nestle syrup...ONLY Ovaltine. Don't laugh, but one way I got some sweetness in cereal was to eat uncooked quick oats with ovaltine sprinkled all over and milk. I didn't like Ovaltine as a kid but later on I started to like it. Now I use organic real cocoa and stevia and I switched to almond milk a long time ago...LOL

ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@polarberry, I bet you also like that cute little leprechaun!

@triciact, so funny about your mom and the penny candy!  I guess you know where you get your psychic ability.

TriciaCT, polarberry, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

LOL, I did and do.

Tricia's story got me wondering if our tendencies are genetic. My mom didn't make predictions, but she would get strong, strong senses about people and situations.  And I think she was sensitive to the presence of spirits.  She almost never talked about things like that, but she did make a couple of comments over the years that made me wonder. I get super strong feelings about things too.

No offense intended to anyone who enjoys the foods I am bashing on.  Just having fun.  But having to eat a pound of wheat germ topped prunes every morning leaves scars.  Just sayin'  ? 

I can't look at a box of powdered milk without screaming...

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@polarberry, I think you're right about the genetic tendencies.  My mom could read people pretty well and was extremely sensitive.  She never found an outlet for those sensitivities, so she had a rough time emotionally.  My sensitivities primarily come through strong feelings and messages (thoughts), and an occasional vision.  

Speaking of visions:  I've gotta get that vision of wheat germ and prunes out of my head ...

TriciaCT, polarberry, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

?  I actually like prunes now, just not as a mandatory food source!

TriciaCT, deetoo, TriciaCT and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

Cooking is one way I cope with depression, which I'm feeling this week. So tonight I made a fun vegan meal - Sesame Cauliflower. Here's the recipe:

SESAME CAULIFLOWER
Ingredients
• 1 large head cauliflower
• 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
• 1/3 cup agave (or 2 tbsp agave + 10 drops Stevia liquid extract)
• 1/3cup rice vinegar
• 1 tbsp minced garlic
• 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
• 1 tsp grated ginger or ginger powder
• 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
• 1/4 cup warm water
• sesame seeds and scallion tops

Instruction
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a baking pan or line with parchment.
2. Cut cauliflower into florets, then slice so one side of each floret is flat. Arrange in a single layer in the pan.
3. Bake 10 minutes on the center rack.
4. Stir together the cornstarch and water until cornstarch dissolves fully,
5. Whisk together the soy sauce, sweetener, vinegar, garlic, sesame oil, and ginger in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
6. Slowly whisk the starch-water mixture into the saucepan as soon as it boils. Turn heat to medium and cook 2 minutes, stirring more frequently once it returns to a boil. Cook until thick. Add some sesame seeds.
7. Flip cauliflower florets and bake 10 additional minutes.
8. Toss cauliflower in sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds and optional scallions on top. Serve warm.

—This goes great over short grain white rice.

deetoo, TriciaCT, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

Healthy Instant Ramen recipe:

1.  discard "flavoring" pack

2.  discard "noodle" wad

3.  that is all

polarberry, Lilinoe, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p

We used to have ramen noodles all the time. My husband seemed to like them OK, but I hated them. I think I'll buy beans instead.

polarberry, Unk p, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: