Clear all

All Things Pets

554 Posts
50 Users
4679 Likes
17.7 K Views
(@ghandigirl)
Illustrious Member Registered

My cats aren't interacting well. I had to return the crate to the foster mom and have had to "rezone" the new kitty to keep her in the bathroom with her litter box, bed, and food and water bowls. I also have her spending most days in the bedroom to explore. My older cat is here in the front room and kitchen. It's a one bedroom apartment so that is the best I can do. 

A LOT of aggression yesterday. I made a rookie mistake of feeding them in the same room and that started up the competition. My older cat is jealous I think. My newer cat is in pain from her self wounding licking. They are both sweet kitties and were doing so much better. I formally adopted the new one on the 24th, and they promptly began being aggressive on the 25th...ugh.

I hope I have not made a mistake in introducing the new kitty.

Feeling upset at my own stupidity.They were doing pretty well. 

Jeanne Mayell, tbs, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laynara)
Noble Member Registered

@ghandigirl Don't worry it takes time! My roommate I had got a Kitty named Baby when I had Kiwi and it took a month for them to even be in the same room together without hissing or trying to fight. You are doing a wonderful job please don't think you aren't the adjustment can sometimes take a little while, kitty's can sometimes get territorial of their surroundings ?

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Stargazer and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

The Avengers got a new dog.

A Labra-Thor!

Jeanne Mayell, tbs, PamP and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@polarberry ok Polarberry-

what do get when you cross a Shih-tzu dog with a poodle?

A:  Shih-tz Poo

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, Laynara and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

lmao, I have one!! Seriously. One of our dogs is half Shih-tzu, half miniature poodle. And Shih-tz Poo is a VERY appropriate name, believe me!!

Jeanne Mayell, tbs, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

@ghandigirl there is some good info on the Internet about encouraging cats to get along. Good luck - it will work out!

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, ghandigirl and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

There was this dog at the park who bullied all the other dogs away from the largest tree.

They weren't really afraid of him, though. He was all bark, no fight.

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Laynara and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Never take your dog to a flea market.

It's ok to take your bird, though. They're cheep.

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Prayers please for my Cleo. She had gum disease and had dental surgery two days ago. She is very weak, having been ill, and is now in some pain I think. She's very slim and slinky, with digestive issues, so not coming from a super healthy place. She has to have one more surgery next week to remove some roots. I am grateful they didn't do all 4 at once. Poor little girl.

The only up side is she is too weakened to be aggressive to the new kitty, Lollipop. They had exchanged slaps a few days before. Cleo wisely realized she is 1/2 Lolli's size and had begun to back off a little.Then she got sick. Lollipop is now integrated during the day, out in the general shared space. Cleo is mostly asleep, and that is a blessing. Still having them sleep at night in separate rooms.

I received some mail about my cats Home Again chips and a renewal form for my beloved dog Toby. I had thought I had reported to them that he died in Dec. of 2018, but I guess I hadn't. I miss him very much. I felt some grief and I again hoped that what we believe happens after we pass, will happen. I again asked him to be the first thing I see when it is my time to transition.

I recently told a friend that Cleo is filling the Toby shaped hole in my heart. She is the most affectionate cat I've ever seen or even heard of. She is a very sweet little soul. My Anxious brain is trying to catastrophize that she won't recover, but I am going to just ask that part to step back and allow the better part of me to think positive. 

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

I am praying for Cleo. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

@dhyanaji

I purchased the multi cat Felliway and it appears to be helping. Cleo feeling weak is allowing them both to share the living space without aggression for long stretches now. I supervise always, being home and self isolating anyway. They sleep in separate rooms with a door between them.

Cleo had gotten bad gum disease. We don't know what caused it, but the vet told me no more dry kibble at all for either cat, only wet food from now on so that is a big change I have made. She is eating a little bit the last few days.

Apparently the kibble is like junk food & carbs. Cleo is underweight because she has trouble eating and has to be fed tiny amounts all day long. Lollipop is obese and came that way, and begs for food all day. Switching them to the lower calorie softer food will help with Lolli, who is eating special prescribed foods for sensitive skin. She has licked herself raw in places and has medicated powder. The new vet is working with me to try to help her further by figuring out exactly why she is so itchy.

I like the new vet very much. she is Hungarian and sounds just like my Grammy did. That's comforting. She also has given me a 10% discount for life as no one wanted to adopt either cat due to their special  needs.

I have never had two cats together before, and I am learning as I go...Thanks for the support and for keeping Cleo in prayer. Her little mouth is swollen, and her eyes look sad and pained. Hoping today is better 3 days out from the surgery. She will be having a follow up surgery next week to remove two root teeth also. The vet is gifting me this surgery for free. She will need lots of healing for the next two or three weeks. 

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

to keep their teeth healthy, there are dental chews - if they only eat soft food, it hurts their teeth in the long run. Am praying for Cleo and that your two cats will get along. Sometimes it takes a while.

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

@ghandigirl

I think this is the thread you were looking for?

❤️

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

@laura-f

Yep! Thanks! :)

Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

So Lollipop had a bad infection w ulcers & feline acne.  The biopsy and blood work showed that she may have microscopic parasites of the hair follicles, and definitely has some kind of allergies, but not to food. She ripped her stitches out and then may have eaten the surgical staples used next. Tomorrow she will be sedated again and have different thicker stitches done. I am praying she doesn't rip those out too. She's a big cat, and very strong. Also x rays to see if she swallowed the staples. How she managed to get them out is a mystery.

The vet said she will need steroid shots for life, but it is better than hearing she has cancer or something else life threatening. The shot she had gave her a lot of relief that first day after the biopsy and bloodwork until she tore out her stitches. She self harms.

Third vet visit in a week. Missing her again tonight as she is staying over with the vet to prevent any infection, and the removing of the last staple left until tomorrow's procedure. My other kitty Cleo cried for her in the night the last time she stayed overnight at the vet's. They sleep in separate rooms but Cleo felt especially lonely without Lolli's presence.

Worrying about the cat has drained me. 

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

@ghandigirl omg I can only imagine. But at least it's treatable. Can they put a cone on her so she can't get at the stitches. Thinking of you during this time. I had asked the board to pray for my friend's dog Lilli - she didn't make it, and my friend has been obsessing about her other dog.  The dog is 10. I think he's lonely for Lilli, and I also think she's wearing him out (she's a fitness freak and goes for these ridiculous runs). He had an incident, but thankfully, there is nothing wrong with him - like you, she was concerned. So she's cutting way back on the exercise and working with the vet. I have good vibes for you.

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@Ghandigirl Oh my, that sounds rough. She doesn't accept something around her neck/face to keep her from ripping stitches out? I do not know what it's called in English, looks like the Handmaiden's Tale on cats.

It is indeed good news if it's 'only' shots that she needs for life and no cancer. You can keep her with you that way. I know it drains to worry, but Cleo and you can give each other strength. Take heart that Lollipop stays with you and doesn't leave due to an incurable illness even if her strong character makes it a bit difficult. The vet just has to find a way to keep her from damaging herself.

Good vibrations for you and your little ones. ❤️ 

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pikake)
Famed Member Registered

@ghandigirl  Hi, there, Have you considered using homeopathics to treat your cat? I use topical homeopathics for cats which are made in Australia, but there is a reseller in Asheville.   You may know homeopathics don’t contra-indicate pharmaceuticals and stimulate the cat’s own immune system to precisely target the problem.

This is the website - it’s full of information and you may find something for your cat’s ailment. If you would like to reach the US reseller, let me know. I never use pharmaceuticals on my cats -Kealani lived to 19 and my current cat is 12 - and if I have to, I use the Hampl’s detox to flush the toxins from their body.

They have a Pet Kalm that destresses cats. You apply 2-3 drops on the spot between their shoulders and in homeopathics, frequency is more important than quantity.  https://holisticanimalremedies.com/

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

@ghandigirl I second that, I third that. Homeopathic remedies are remarkable - they take the whole cat into consideration, including personality. It's really amazing. 

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 tbs
(@tbs)
Noble Member Registered

@ghandigirl Pets, they keep you busy - Quite some challenges you have. We had cats in the past, now a dog ( See my avatar) , a fantastic Shetland Sheepdog. Almost 13 ,

and might not make 13 ( Oct 1st). She is fit but has bladder cancer. She is getting medicines  and homeopathic herbs , vitamins and a a lot of TLC. Still we think maybe max end of summer. She could run still 5 miles, is mentally fit ,but the cancer will be stronger at the end. She will start peeing or try do every 30 minutes . What I find horrible is that we ( Me and my family) have to decide when it is time to end it, I hope that ( as with other animals before) I will see it. Normally you can see if they signal you that they are ready to go.

I see quite some people losing their pets around us. I am thinking they make place for something, or leave us because some bigger changes are coming.

It still hurts. Since the day we heard the news until now it is really minimum one tear per day, at least:-( . 

I am worked from home before Covid, so does my wife, but our daughters are happy they could spent the last 6 months at home. 

Our dog loves to open up presents. So we now "celebrating " her birthday every week. 

Whoever here has one or more animals, enjoy each day. Animals are the better humans :-)

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, FEBbby23 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 28
Share: